• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

BSP

Smash Legend
Guys ... it takes playing a game that is just similar to understand how "useful" the blue shell is

I played Sonic & Sega All Star racing recently and whenever its played at high level is always the same :

one person breaking away from the pack by a looooooooooooooooong shot , and the person in second never being able to catch up due to items from people from the pack

while I was playing this game for the first I told myself something I never thought I would : I was there was a blue shell

the MK64 one is fine , there just need to be something to be able to stop the person in first from breaking away like mad it causes some kind of brokeness

in SSASR case , its characters with high accel , it takes them just being lucky to dodge the items thrown at them after the first set of item boxes and the person in 2nd getting hit , and you'll never see them again for the whole race

so lets be happy theres a blue shell in Mario Kart , it certainly needs to be nerfed , but certainly not removed
I agree that breakaways should be avoided,but MKW's BS (lol) is just OP'd. MKW has plenty of items to let people catch up. Stars let you zoom through anything, anyone, go faster than anyone, and take massive shorcuts (stage dependent). Mega Mushroom is similar, but not to the same extent. Bullet Bill gets you to 1st-3rd with no effort unless you were SERIOUSLY behind. Lightning makes everyone slower and drop all their items, so strategic use is pretty powerful. Golden mushroom lets you take massive shortcuts too. BSs that pop you into the air defenseless is a little much.

They should reduce the frequency, or make it like a normal hit, or something.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so I was playing mario kart 64 with Ankoku 2 days ago and he said watch out for the Blue Shell Of Death so I was like THERE'S A BSOD O_O!!! then why didn't the game crash!

If you play with GameShark so you do get the Blue Shell in MK64 whenever you want and you try to do it in a Balloon Battle game then it REALLY IS a bsod because the game crashes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
so is this the thing that lets you hook two GCNs up to play with EIGHT PLAYERS AT ONCE?! (or 16 i guess if you are crazy enough to have 8 pairs)

i just got back into mario kart wii, doing time trials and all that and i genuinely enjoy it. if you have a problem with the luck factor then just change settings for strategic items or even none at all.

but yeah, playing some mkw reminded me that mkdd had that awesome LAN capability...i'd love to get that going with the smash guys here.

edit: yeah m2k, i think it's because the game doesn't know how to go after the first place person since it isn't a race.

blue shells are in mkw's battle mode though. go after the person with most points/coins.

UberMario

Smash Master
I even find ridiculous to give a name to that "technique" because its not , its just using miniturbos in the most effective way possible since they make you go faster , why limiting and gimping oneself to use it only in curves when its possible to do it on straights too? :confused:
Well the reason it's considered a technique is because most of the time you have to change your line in order to snake properly, and to be really competitive you have to be able to mini-turbo about four times every three seconds at least, which takes quite some time to master.

Anyway , I followed the whole debate between snaker and anti-snakers since 2005 even though I never played the game and Im pretty sure up until today that it was just a confrontation between casual Mario Karters and competitive ones , thats all , and I found it normal for a game that appealed so many people at the same time and that can all , from different origins habits and skill level , playing together, Nintendo obviously didnt see that coming.
Well the main complaint was that it made Mario Kart DS "harder" to be more competitive in and was an unorthodox playstyle not intended by Nintendo. Clearly they haven't noticed that you can snake in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Double Dash also. (The original and Mario Kart Super Circuit require really large turns in order to mini-turbo in (about 90-135 degrees minimum), which is usually ineffective for snaking due to the narrowness of most of the tracks)

I guess they managed to fix it with MKW as theres no major broken technique that can give some players insane advantadge, and I bet all the following MKs are gonna follow that trend
?!?!!?!?! Here are a few:

-Stand Still Mini-Turbos (Flame Runner and Torpedo wouldn't be top of the crop without these)
-Wheelies (There is NOTHING a Kart-er can do but watch while a biker pops a wheelie to pull away, as if that made sense)
-Lap-ticking glitches at Mushroom Gorge and Grumble Volcano
-Choosing a top tier character (unlike in Brawl you really don't have to use much skill in order to see who is best)
-Stay in 2nd, that's as broken as it gets since the leader will be blown up eventually.
-Snaking still works in Mario Kart Wii, but Wheelies are more broken.
-There are several parts of Rainbow Road that can trigger stunts even though you're still on the ground, hence the reason I keep saying that stunts are triggered by textures/models rather than actual airborne scenarios.
-Choose a top tier bike (you WILL lose if they have great experience with a Funky Kong + Flamer unless you are really fortunate with all the spiny shells)

I'm sorry but I sure as heck hope that the next Mario Kart isn't remotely similar to Mario Kart Wii.

so I was playing mario kart 64 with Ankoku 2 days ago and he said watch out for the Blue Shell Of Death so I was like THERE'S A BSOD O_O!!! then why didn't the game crash!

If you play with GameShark so you do get the Blue Shell in MK64 whenever you want and you try to do it in a Balloon Battle game then it REALLY IS a bsod because the game crashes.
LOL Nice comeback.

Well the blue shells follow the ai line the cpu characters navigate, and since there is no ai line in Battle the game crashes. Why the programmers would let it freeze the game rather than just causing the spiny to stay still? Who knows.

Thino

Smash Master
Well the reason it's considered a technique is because most of the time you have to change your line in order to snake properly, and to be really competitive you have to be able to mini-turbo about four times every three seconds at least, which takes quite some time to master.
meh , I still see it as trying to find the most effective way to use MTs , but as I already mentioned I easily tend to take games competitively so these things seem natural to me

Well the main complaint was that it made Mario Kart DS "harder" to be more competitive in and was an unorthodox playstyle not intended by Nintendo. Clearly they haven't noticed that you can snake in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Double Dash also. (The original and Mario Kart Super Circuit require really large turns in order to mini-turbo in (about 90-135 degrees minimum), which is usually ineffective for snaking due to the narrowness of most of the tracks)
I think its more that they didnt care , and when noticed it , it was too late
?!?!!?!?! Here are a few:

-Stand Still Mini-Turbos (Flame Runner and Torpedo wouldn't be top of the crop without these)
-Wheelies (There is NOTHING a Kart-er can do but watch while a biker pops a wheelie to pull away, as if that made sense)
-Lap-ticking glitches at Mushroom Gorge and Grumble Volcano
-Choosing a top tier character (unlike in Brawl you really don't have to use much skill in order to see who is best)
-Stay in 2nd, that's as broken as it gets since the leader will be blown up eventually.
-Snaking still works in Mario Kart Wii, but Wheelies are more broken.
-There are several parts of Rainbow Road that can trigger stunts even though you're still on the ground, hence the reason I keep saying that stunts are triggered by textures/models rather than actual airborne scenarios.
-Choose a top tier bike (you WILL lose if they have great experience with a Funky Kong + Flamer unless you are really fortunate with all the spiny shells)

I'm sorry but I sure as heck hope that the next Mario Kart isn't remotely similar to Mario Kart Wii.
well with the exception of lap ticking ( that is generally banned anyway ) those are arent gamebreaking the sense that they're either really easy to do or that the advantadge you get from doing them doesnt get you to first place consistantly

dont get ur hopes up too much , casuals are Nintendo's priority

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
so is this the thing that lets you hook two GCNs up to play with EIGHT PLAYERS AT ONCE?! (or 16 i guess if you are crazy enough to have 8 pairs)
Yeah I admit I’m crazy enough to own 8 of the GameCube Broadband Adapters. I also own 4 copies of Mario Kart:Double Dash!! and about 6 GameCubes. Here are my first three.

Double Dash is wicked fun in LAN and easily rivals the best experiences on any of the other Mario Kart titles. My friends and I often consider it the “Melee” of MK games for its competitiveness and depth.

BSP

Smash Legend
well with the exception of lap ticking ( that is generally banned anyway ) those are arent gamebreaking the sense that they're either really easy to do or that the advantadge you get from doing them doesnt get you to first place consistantly

dont get ur hopes up too much , casuals are Nintendo's priority
Well, the advantage is enough to make karts pretty much unviable.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Dang, did you get all of those Gamecubes when they were still $150/$200?
No I got two of them free when somebody was giving them away on Craig’s List. All I had to do on one was clean the laser with alcohol and then Windex to get it working again and on the other I swapped out the piece were the controllers plug in. Being an electrical engineer I tend to be handy like that. To be completely honest I doubt I paid more than 10 dollars for any of my GameCubes.

I once posted a thread over at GameFaqs on how the GameCube is probably one of the best gaming values around and I stick to that notion. It’ll play Melee, Double Dash and F-Zero GX and can usually be purchased complete with a controller for under thirty bucks. That to my mind is a steal.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
MK64 balloon battle ***** who wants to challenge me at a tourney. After Airship's over Sunday night anyone? Something? Apex after tourney?? It'll be fun
I might take you up on that M2K. I have to do a Mario Party 1 tournament with DMG first haha, because he really wanted one. :laugh:

MK64 tournament would be great.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
…Whether you like Mario Kart 64 or not you have to admit its historic relevance. Not only is it the first truly three dimensional Mario Kart game but it also originated many of the conventions that appear in the newer iterations. MK64 introduced the ability to drag items, triple shells and the controversial Blue Shell of Doom. Mario Kart 64’s influence is so strong and its impact on multiplayer gaming so monumental that many still consider it the definitive MK title.

It is in to this arena that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had to distinguish itself. During the years since the original Super Mario Kart and eventually Mario Kart 64 had reigned, other companies had released their own attempts to dethrone Nintendo’s battle/racer series. Some of these games were actually quite good and developed almost cult-like followings of their own. Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64 is the first that comes to mind although there were others like the eclectic Snowboard Kids games to the brilliant Crash Team Racing for the original Playstation. CTR emulated the dynamics of the original Super Mario Kart cashing in on those who felt that the MK series had abandoned them with the 64 version.

Needless to say, Double Dash had to reinvent the mascot Kart genre or risk getting lost in the sea of clones. So did it succeed at setting itself apart from the pack? Some might say that DD was too successful at being different.

To be continued…
…2003 was a strange time for Nintendo. Their console the GameCube wasn’t the best selling system and there was even a new player named Microsoft on the field.

It is in to this world that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was born. As previously mentioned, competition had forced Nintendo to rethink the Mario Kart franchise. Double Dash derived its name form the fact that the Karts now allowed for a driver as well as a rear passenger which was often called “the gunner” to work in tandem. Many other things had changed too. Now character choice also determined what type of special attack a player had at his disposal and although DD didn’t include on-line play it did surpass Mario Kart 64’s 4-player split-screen mode by offering LAN.

It’s highly unlikely that many people ever experienced a LAN setup of MK:DD because it required so much. First, each GameCube had to be fitted with a Broadband Adapter which was not only expensive but could only be ordered directly from Nintendo. Other necessities for the LAN included a cross-over network cable or router, multiple copies of the game and multiple TV’s. The whole thing was just too intimidating for all but the most hardcore or network savvy to attempt.

While Double Dash is indeed a beautiful game some of its tracks felt out of place like the one that has players racing through a valley inhabited by dinosaurs or another that takes place on the deck of a luxury cruise liner. Double Dash features some of the series’ best and worst tracks which is appropriate given the games dual personality.

One thing that can’t be denied is that Double Dash is one fast and frantic ride in 150cc cup and returned some of the difficulty in single-player mode that had been lost with Mario Kart 64. Also, with all the depth surrounding the ability to choose characters based on special abilities, being able to switch positions between driver and gunner at any time, the added benefit of having your passenger punch loose items from nearby rivals and tracks that were obviously designed for utter mayhem- Double Dash remains a spectacle in multiplayer mode. So much so that it easily rivals Halo as the best co-op game of the era!

Mario Kart: Double Dash didn’t sell as well as Super Smash Bros. Melee but it did maintain its competitive spirit and solidified the GameCube as the console that serious, as well as casual, gamers alike owned.

To be continued…

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
grizz, where did you get your adapters? the cheapest i can find is $35 on the official ninty site...kind of expensive, even for two, although i'd like to get more so 4 people aren't cramped to one TV

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
grizz, where did you get your adapters? the cheapest i can find is $35 on the official ninty site...kind of expensive, even for two, although i'd like to get more so 4 people aren't cramped to one TV
Sometimes you can find them at GameStop for around a buck although nowadays the Ebay sellers have snapped most of them up. Good luck finding one though because it makes Double Dash a much better multiplayer experience.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I kinda hated MKWii. I owned a copy of every single mario kart game up until the Wii one...I played it once and was turned off by how retarded the items were, and the chaos with 12 people racing at once. It was fine with 8...but now its sofa king impossible to drive for more than 6 seconds w/o getting hit by random shells, bombs, bananas n s*** and its ridiculous...it's the most luck-based of them all by faaaaarrrrrr

MK64 and MKDS are probably my favorites
Heh...I figured out why I hate this game so much. Friends had the items set on Aggressive without tellin me. On Balanced or Strategic it ain't so bad.

UberMario

Smash Master
The items are still very influencial online once you get more than eight people in a race.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
As long as there aren't blue shells flying around every 5 seconds I am :D
Blue shells in MK64 were fine, but in MKDD they made them retarded and now they make me >:(
Oh and that autopilot bullet bill thingy can die slowly in a fire as well.

UberMario

Smash Master
True, I hate how it replaced the Chain Chomp. Because:

A. the Chomp had awesome music.

B. the Chomp was awesome period. and

C. the Bullet Bill [as an item] is more illogical than anything else in the Mario Kart series. I can understand becoming invisible, I can understand pulling a giant shell out of nowhere, I can even understand how the balloons are tied to your survival, but I CAN NOT fathom how you can turn yourself into a freakin' bullet, I mean seriously.

Thino

Smash Master
>Mario Kart
>Logic

ok , lets not go that way please , between monkeys and turtles riding bikes to lightning hitting you in closed places ,, theres to many things to explain lol

anyway there is only ONE place where Chain Chomp is anoying , its on DKM bridge , I have bad memories of it throwing me off so many times omg

UberMario

Smash Master
You can actually use it as a tether recovery on Rainbow Road, if you start falling off the edge of a banked curve you can throw it and it will drag you underneath the track until you reach a dip in the course, which will make the chomp pull you up through it.

UberMario

Smash Master
It's funny, because you hear the wacky music and you see your characters flailing about underneath the course in their falling animation. lol

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm sure everyone hated Mario Kart Wii's battle mode like i did, right?

It's horrible >_<. I miss eliminating people, and now it's just pop 3 balloons to get them out like the other games, but all they have to do is wait a few secs and they can join right back. *Sigh*

UberMario

Smash Master
The ONLY reason I can think of that they would remove the FFA mode was so that n00bs that couldn't last ten seconds in a battle wouldn't whine that they weren't able to play, but then again, MKDS let players that lost all of their balloons throw item boxes around the course for the rest of the match (while invisible), so they could have implemented that or the bob-omb transformation again.

USrob

Smash Cadet
I believe we said this at least once in our life .... I HATE BLUESHELLS ****IT lol .

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
While yes, I do hate the blue shells, at the same time I still don't think that's the cheapest item in MKW. You can recover from it pretty well if you have a Bike (and if it's not the last lap and you're 2 feet in front of the finish with 5 people behind you).

I think the one I hated the most was the Thunder Cloud. Mostly because:

A. You shrink if you don't manage to get rid of it in time
B. Lose any other items

It makes you vulnerable to heavyweights even more, too. Imagine getting this item on RR, it's not fun. Also it just...you speed up with it and whenever I manage to get it (don't know about you guys) I'm in like, 2nd place and gets harder to hand it off to someone.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Lightning Cloud you can abuse very much on courses with a lot of shortcuts, then pass it to the other player when the time is right. =P

Again, no item is more useless than the Fake Item unless it's Mario Kart DS.

UberMario

Smash Master
Or Mario Kart 64, in that game you could use it as a defense aswell, an ability that has mysteriously disappeared for the item since it's debut . . .

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Or Mario Kart 64, in that game you could use it as a defense aswell, an ability that has mysteriously disappeared for the item since it's debut . . .
I wish they would've left it in. I mean sure, you can abuse that pretty well but the items in MK64 felt so balanced so you know if you needed to you could get a star, or some mushrooms to get ahead.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
The fake item has lost its touch...oh well, I'm sure they'll have better items in the next MK. The Wii one was good, not great, in my opinion

UberMario

Smash Master
I want to see them bring back punching, that was a cool feature exclusive to one, non-single-player, mode of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! :urg:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I want to see them bring back punching, that was a cool feature exclusive to one, non-single-player, mode of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! :urg:
Punching somebody while you're on a go-kart? Yes.

Punching somebody while your partner is driving? Yes.

Using punching to steal another player's items? Yes.

-Terywj

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Punching somebody while you're on a go-kart? Yes.

Punching somebody while your partner is driving? Yes.

Using punching to steal another player's items? Yes.

-Terywj
Punching someone to steal their special item? YES.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Punching was legit in MK:DD

I like Mario Kart: Wii. So much fun with a bunch of friends.

Yoshi/Birdo/Daisy/Baby Daisy are my favs.

Super Blooper and Mach Bike are fun for the mids and I only use the Magikruiser for Baby Daisy.

Fav item is probably the blue shell when your not in first. >;}

Top Bottom