• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
…Mario Kart 64 was the third game I purchased for my Nintendo 64 and it was the first that allowed for 4 players. Almost immediately after the games release it became nearly impossible to find extra controllers for sale which is a testament to just how popular the game had become. Sure there were some whiners who complained that MK64 wasn’t as serious or competitive as the original but those cries only made it obvious as to who didn’t have any friends to play the game with.

Me and my friends played the game literally for 12 hours at a time taking breaks only to go to the bathroom, eat slices of pizza and down some Mountain Dew. Mario Kart 64 was addictive like crack but better still the game was just flat-out fun; so much fun that all of us adult males laughed like 8 year old school girls while playing it.

Nintendo had done it again; they had completely rewritten the book on how a kart racing game should be played and along the way created what is probably one of the greatest party games of all time. Could they do it again with their next console?

To be continued…
…Whether you like Mario Kart 64 or not you have to admit its historic relevance. Not only is it the first truly three dimensional Mario Kart game but it also originated many of the conventions that appear in the newer iterations. MK64 introduced the ability to drag items, triple shells and the controversial Blue Shell of Doom. Mario Kart 64’s influence is so strong and its impact on multiplayer gaming so monumental that many still consider it the definitive MK title.

It is in to this arena that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had to distinguish itself. During the years since the original Super Mario Kart and eventually Mario Kart 64 had reigned, other companies had released their own attempts to dethrone Nintendo’s battle/racer series. Some of these games were actually quite good and developed almost cult-like followings of their own. Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64 is the first that comes to mind although there were others like the eclectic Snowboard Kids games to the brilliant Crash Team Racing for the original Playstation. CTR emulated the dynamics of the original Super Mario Kart cashing in on those who felt that the MK series had abandoned them with the 64 version.

Needless to say, Double Dash had to reinvent the mascot Kart genre or risk getting lost in the sea of clones. So did it succeed at setting itself apart from the pack? Some might say that DD was too successful at being different.

To be continued…

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Guess I'm a loser then, I thought the Wii one was amazing. I did think, however, people who took it seriously were funny. That game is at least 60% luck due to the items, but it's still very fun. I borrowed a copy and unlocked at least 95% of everything (everything but the reverse cup character and some of the ghosts), and it was quite addictive. Usually I'm the freak that gets a 100% on every game, but I didn't on that one. Didn't on FFIX and the GCN Crystal Chronicles...starting to let myself down... Anyways off topic, but I think Mario Kart is one of the best things Mario has going for it. MP8 is kinda.... "character tier list" = turnoff.

UberMario

Smash Master
…Whether you like Mario Kart 64 or not you have to admit its historic relevance. Not only is it the first truly three dimensional Mario Kart game but it also originated many of the conventions that appear in the newer iterations. MK64 introduced the ability to drag items, triple shells and the controversial Blue Shell of Doom. Mario Kart 64’s influence is so strong and its impact on multiplayer gaming so monumental that many still consider it the definitive MK title.

It is in to this arena that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had to distinguish itself. During the years since the original Super Mario Kart and eventually Mario Kart 64 had reigned, other companies had released their own attempts to dethrone Nintendo’s battle/racer series. Some of these games were actually quite good and developed almost cult-like followings of their own. Diddy Kong Racing for the Nintendo 64 is the first that comes to mind although there were others like the eclectic Snowboard Kids games to the brilliant Crash Team Racing for the original Playstation. CTR emulated the dynamics of the original Super Mario Kart cashing in on those who felt that the MK series had abandoned them with the 64 version.

Needless to say, Double Dash had to reinvent the mascot Kart genre or risk getting lost in the sea of clones. So did it succeed at setting itself apart from the pack? Some might say that DD was too successful at being different.

To be continued…
What, we aren't getting coverage of one of my favorites, Mario Kart: Super Circuit? :urg:

And yes, I do believe Mario Kart 64 was more influential than Super Mario Kart, MK64 practically caused every company to want to make a freakin cheap racing game with random characters and items just to get money due to Mario Kart's popularity.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
man I really miss mariokart for the DS :<

like. I haven't played it in so long. Its so technical T___T

I love doubledash a lot as well. Probably my favorite.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
What, we aren't getting coverage of one of my favorites, Mario Kart: Super Circuit? :urg:
I’m embarrassed to admit it but Super Circuit is my least favorite of the entire Mario Kart series. Since I never owned a real Gameboy I didn’t get SC until I got my DS (which I purchased just so I could play MK: DS). It’s for that reason that I really didn’t play SC much until I eventually got the GameBoy Player attachment for the GameCube.

I think the main problem is the controls of Super Circuit which never felt comfortable to me. It just feels so twitchy that I can’t control it as well as I can all the other MK games.

Also with no way of doing multiplayer SC has a lot less appeal when compared to the others. :(

So even though I do own Super Circuit and it’s sitting in my Gameboy player right now I don’t legitimately feel qualified to give my impressions of it here. The elite players in this thread would immediately sniff my comments out as being disingenuous and disregard my continuing retrospective of the Mario Kart franchise.

UberMario

Smash Master
Aren't you kind of putting yourself a little lower than you really are? Forums are open to opinions. :)

And the controls are definitely different than the other Mario Karts (except Double Dash, other than the lack of hopping you'd be suprised how similar their kart physics are) and probably has the highest learning curve but once you get used to it you can get quite speedy and fluid.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
So even though I do own Super Circuit and it’s sitting in my Gameboy player right now I don’t legitimately feel qualified to give my impressions of it here. The elite players in this thread would immediately sniff my comments out as being disingenuous and disregard my continuing retrospective of the Mario Kart franchise.
Haha, don't worry, everyone has games the like and don't. No one is going to look over your posts for it. As uber already said, it is your opinion.

Anyway, that brings up an interesting point. What is your favourite and least favourite MK game?

My favourite would be....

MKDS (MK64 was really close though)

Least favourite is MKSC

It was a good game and I had fun playing it on long drives but the others were more fun.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Anyway, that brings up an interesting point. What is your favourite and least favourite MK game?
I know this is going to make me seem like a complete n00b but Mario Kart Wii is probably my favorite. The reasons for that are the nearly lag-free on-line mode and the inclusion of speed-boosting tricks. Of course the motorcycles are pretty slick too but mostly I like the fact that the controls feel like a perfect marriage between SMK and MK64.

Allow me to also mention that I absolutely LOVE Double Dash as I believe it’s probably the most hardcore Mario Kart game thanks to the ability to play in LAN mode and the unique specials for each character. Me and my friends often refer to DD as the thinking mans Mario Kart game because there’s literally tons of strategy with all the variables surrounding character selection and pairings.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, so I pulled out MKW after a while...and I re-realized just how gay that blue shell is...Smart players know that you're totalyy defense-less after it hits you, and you can get ***** pretty hard...

They seriously should tone down the item strength, because going from 1st to 10th from one shell isn't cool. Maybe modifying the blue shell to hit everyone along the way would be better, because atm, the person in first gets hit REALLY hard.

Is snaking a huge problem on MKDS?

UberMario

Smash Master
Mine (from favorite to least)

1.Mario Kart 64 (perfect balance between non-broken items, relatively even karts, semi-difficult tracks, and speed, not to mention awesome battle stages)
2.Mario Kart Super Circuit (easily the most skill-weilding, this game is the fastest in the series (bordering on F-Zero speed to scale) brought the ideas of rankings, 1-P versus mode, customizable lap amounts (to a degree) and other stats, retro tracks, and some of the most original race ideas in the series. Like I've said before if they made a 3-D version of this with Mario Kart 64's physics it would be #1)
3. Mario Kart DS (lots of replay value, not so easy tracks, 8-player battle mode WITH CPU AND BLOCK FORT, great retros, a way to avoid broken items, the quickest mini-turbos in the series, great wi-fi (other than those cowards that dc) and THE ABILITY FOR EACH DRIVER TO GO INTO ANY VEHICLE THEY WANT! Why is this only 3rd on my list? Four things, the battle cpu is only good in balloon runners, wifi is very limited (although it was the first wifi game by Nintendo) only allowing 4-players, the somewhat (but not overly) sluggish feel of non-snaking racing, and the replacement of the Chain Chomp with the Bullet Bill, the item that single-handedly made this game more illogical than a cartoon should be, why couldn't your car be on top of the bullet? Nooooooo, you HAD to be the bullet.)
4. Super Mario Kart (Hardest ai in the series, and it cheats . . . . ., tracks are also overly narrow, but they're still great)
5. Mario Kart Arcade GP 1/2(While not too memorable, it has the largest variety of items in the series, and has three ideas that I was disappointed were never used again that were amazing: the lock-on system (which turns your car into a first-person shooter during the boss battles), the random extra rules (like mushroom-only item boxes, no mini-turbos, one lap of racing, etc.) that were chosen so that only one would take place per race, and the reusing of tracks to create alternate routes ala F-Zero.)
6. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (While the double-player karts and specials are great, shortcuts that are not detected by the computer, the game suffers from the reduction of props during multi-player, plus the tracks were very linear and with the exception of Wario Colleseum, not that difficult. Definitely the most strategic in the series however.)
7. Mario Kart Wii (With broken items galore, overly simplistic tracks, subpar retro track selection, a dumbed-down mini-turbo engine, a team-only battle mode with virtually pointless balloons and spiny shells, and a heavily imbalanced character and vehicle selection, the only few things I liked were the "tournaments" (which should be available full time, but aren't) and stunts, although the stunts were also overly simplified since it auto-corrects your vehicle and can only be activated on certain textures. (There are plenty of spots were you should be able to do stunts (i.e.Mushroom Gorge's last u-turn or the cliffs on Grumble Volcano), but can't because the model there wasn't built to allow the stunt mode to be activated. >_<)

Well that's all I have to say about rankings.

@mariobrouser: depends, it clearly dominates the game (you can have times over twenty seconds faster than the staff ghosts using snaking) it's actually a very difficult tech to master which is why I love it, I usually have closer races with snakers than non-snakers and they feel more intense. You haven't felt how awesome it is when you beat three other snakers by less than a second at SMK Mario Circuit 1 by PRB'ing or Yoshi Circuit by taking the shortcut each lap just by using snaking speed.

Beware the Jabberwocky

Smash Apprentice

This thing is the worst thing that ever happened to Mario Kart. It has screwed me in countless occasions. Mario Kart Wii has made it a staple of their items list. Double Dash had it, but it was at least "rare." Now, theres at least 4 attacks every race. This thing has killed Mario Kart Wii.

I'll probably say that my favorite Mario Kart was Double Dash (Heh, what does this say about my taste in Mario games, eh). I loved the co-op racing and the character-based items. My team was Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr. They were light and speedy, and had the best character-based item combos.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

This thing is the worst thing that ever happened to Mario Kart. It has screwed me in countless occasions. Mario Kart Wii has made it a staple of their items list. Double Dash had it, but it was at least "rare." Now, theres at least 4 attacks every race. This thing has killed Mario Kart Wii.
Really? I don't think that the Blue Shell was that bad in Mario Kart 64. Well...mostly because while it went for first place, it still hit OTHER people in the process. You didn't have to just hope for there to be a lot of people around first.

(that and in MK64, sometimes you could just aim right and it'd clank against a wall...)

But as for Mario Kart Wii, yes, this item is just horrible. Actually, most items in MKW are bad in my opinion, because items make this game too easy to me. They're either useless or too overpowered.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The Spiny Shell terror came from Mario Kart Double Dash, not Mario Kart Wii. ._.

Only item I would consider useless in Mario Kart Wii would be Fake Item, the rest I find useful. =P

BSP

Smash Legend
The flying, only hitting first place, leaving people totally defenseless spiny shell came in DD. I seriously wouldn't mind if they just took it out (plenty of other items to help catch up, without totally screwing someone), or made a way to avoid it.

UberMario

Smash Master
The Spiny Shell terror came from Mario Kart Double Dash, not Mario Kart Wii. ._.

Only item I would consider useless in Mario Kart Wii would be Fake Item, the rest I find useful. =P
Yeah, I absolutely hate how Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii made them BRIGHT RED, come on, where's the fun in hiding a bright red object? At least Mario Kart Ds made it blue like in Mario Kart 64.

And there is a way to dodge the spiny in DD, DS, and Wii, however, the Double Dash one requires boosting with a mushroom on a hill and the Wii one requires boosting with a mushroom right as the Spiny dives, but with all the lightning bolts and pow blocks good luck getting to the lead with one in reserve. Mario Kart DS doesn't require items at all to dodge it, which is pretty nice.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, I absolutely hate how Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii made them BRIGHT RED, come on, where's the fun in hiding a bright red object? At least Mario Kart Ds made it blue like in Mario Kart 64.

And there is a way to dodge the spiny in DD, DS, and Wii, however, the Double Dash one requires boosting with a mushroom on a hill and the Wii one requires boosting with a mushroom right as the Spiny dives, but with all the lightning bolts and pow blocks good luck getting to the lead with one in reserve. Mario Kart DS doesn't require items at all to dodge it, which is pretty nice.

Its usually better to place it right near the other item drops to make them overlap. Still, its extremely obvious unless the person is playing really carelessly.

I know you can pull it off in MKDS just by turbo-boosting at the right time (which is a lot more useful). I've practiced it but its still a pain to pull off (granted I have a couple times).

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i usually hold on to blue shells after i somehow magically get them while in second place (Mario Kart DS) but I don't really need it to get ahead of the other racer cause I snake like crazy and get ahead but I keep the blue shell just to intimidate people behind me to not get ahead OR ELSE

Thino

Smash Master
Guys ... it takes playing a game that is just similar to understand how "useful" the blue shell is

I played Sonic & Sega All Star racing recently and whenever its played at high level is always the same :

one person breaking away from the pack by a looooooooooooooooong shot , and the person in second never being able to catch up due to items from people from the pack

while I was playing this game for the first I told myself something I never thought I would : I was there was a blue shell

the MK64 one is fine , there just need to be something to be able to stop the person in first from breaking away like mad it causes some kind of brokeness

in SSASR case , its characters with high accel , it takes them just being lucky to dodge the items thrown at them after the first set of item boxes and the person in 2nd getting hit , and you'll never see them again for the whole race

so lets be happy theres a blue shell in Mario Kart , it certainly needs to be nerfed , but certainly not removed

UberMario

Smash Master
Guys ... it takes playing a game that is just similar to understand how "useful" the blue shell is

I played Sonic & Sega All Star racing recently and whenever its played at high level is always the same :

one person breaking away from the pack by a looooooooooooooooong shot , and the person in second never being able to catch up due to items from people from the pack

while I was playing this game for the first I told myself something I never thought I would : I was there was a blue shell

the MK64 one is fine , there just need to be something to be able to stop the person in first from breaking away like mad it causes some kind of brokeness

in SSASR case , its characters with high accel , it takes them just being lucky to dodge the items thrown at them after the first set of item boxes and the person in 2nd getting hit , and you'll never see them again for the whole race

so lets be happy theres a blue shell in Mario Kart , it certainly needs to be nerfed , but certainly not removed
Solution: Get faster, not torment the leader. And yes, the spiny shell was more useful in Mario Kart 64 since it could hit anyone in the way and the one in Mario Kart Super Circuit was even MORE useful since you could use it like in Mario Kart 64 OR plant it as a mine to attack the leader when they came back around the track to it, I loved that.

BTW. is the roster in S&SASR really imbalanced? I haven't tried so I was just wondering.

Thino

Smash Master
Solution: Get faster, not torment the leader. And yes, the spiny shell was more useful in Mario Kart 64 since it could hit anyone in the way and the one in Mario Kart Super Circuit was even MORE useful since you could use it like in Mario Kart 64 OR plant it as a mine to attack the leader when they came back around the track to it, I loved that.

BTW. is the roster in S&SASR really imbalanced? I haven't tried so I was just wondering.
you can only keep up with the leader when the scenario I forementioned doesnt happen

unfortunately it happens too often , I think there might be some balancing issues with the items , that may be fixed later in the 360/PS3 version prolly , but right now its just too loopsided to the player that first takes the lead which often goes to characters like Shadow , Ryo , Opa Opa , Amigo , ALex the Kid and Knuckles

getting faster eh? well ... at the moment theres only like one advanced technique ( or two if I count Infinite Drifting from PS3/360 version) but the way the items are allow even a basic drive and drifter to build a good lead w/o getting caught up by a Chain Drifter

and yea I had completely forgot about being able to let homing blue shells /red shells backwards , that was actually one good feature abotu MKSC they should have kept

UberMario

Smash Master
Oh if it's like that, then my mistake. I thought you were just referring to racing games in general whe you were saying how the leader usually pulls away.

and yea I had completely forgot about being able to let homing blue shells /red shells backwards , that was actually one good feature abotu MKSC they should have kept
lol 1? The idea of retro tracks, rankings, and a way to normally out race a spiny/red shell weren't good too?

Thino

Smash Master
lol 1? The idea of retro tracks, rankings, and a way to normally out race a spiny/red shell weren't good too?
yea but retro has been indeed used again , rankings too , and outracing/dodging those shells has been done in some ways in the following titles

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Yep I agree. Nintendo play-tests the heck out of their games and if they felt Mario Kart would be better without the blue shell they wouldn’t include it.

If you want a more serious racer were skill is the only determining factor then try Forza or Gran Turismo. I also enjoy those two franchises but I prefer Mario Kart because the races are tighter and more exciting.

UberMario

Smash Master
yea but retro has been indeed used again , rankings too , and outracing/dodging those shells has been done in some ways in the following titles
True, but those are good too right? the red shell/spiny shell planting thing wasn't the
only
one good feature.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
True, but those are good too right? the red shell/spiny shell planting thing wasn't the
only
one good feature.

I don't think that's the way he meant it. What I think he was trying to say was that it was a feature he liked about SC not the only feature he liked.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This thread has a serious lack of Baby Mario (Double Dash) and Dry Bones (DS).

Light characters are the bomb, especially when it comes to drifting.

-Terywj

UberMario

Smash Master
Definitely, but nearly all the characters are great at drifting in Mario Kart DS, mostly because anyone can go into a lightweight kart. lol They usually don't stand a chance in races with item droughts though.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
This thread has a serious lack of Baby Mario (Double Dash) and Dry Bones (DS).

Light characters are the bomb, especially when it comes to drifting.

-Terywj

Dry bones is amazing and my 2nd most used character.

Dry Bones + Tank was fun to use and fairly effective.

UberMario

Smash Master
Anyone else good at PRB'ing with the Dry Bomber? I've managed to do a full race using the tech at Mario Circuit 1.

UberMario

Smash Master
PRB = Prolonged Rocket Boost.

Basically you have to snake so quickly that the boost you can get at the start of the race NEVER wears off, which lets you go off-road as if it were tarmac. It's pretty difficult to hold after about a minute, and it wears off if you miss ONCE or hit a wall/item. You can also initiate it by using a speed pad.

If you're wondering what it looks like, just imagine a snaker with an infinite mushroom sans the visual effects.

UberMario

Smash Master
PRB = Prolonged Rocket Boost.

Basically you have to snake so quickly that the boost you can get at the start of the race NEVER wears off, which lets you go off-road as if it were tarmac. It's pretty difficult to hold after about a minute, and it wears off if you miss ONCE or hit a wall/item. You can also initiate it by using a speed pad.

If you're wondering what it looks like, just imagine a snaker with an infinite mushroom sans the visual effects.
I dont really know what PRB is but I know that this TAS run looks pretty **** sexy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mAyQGWaT8
LOL

And also that TAS involved PRBing, that's why he went through the grass like that.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Best Mario Kart ever and you haven't played it?! Tsk, tsk. ;p ♥

♣ If you don't like to snake, then you will not like facing competitive Mario Kart players much. >.< ♥

Skrlx

Smash Champion
the only thing I don't like about MK64 is that the red shells suck unless you're in last or first place.

Thino

Smash Master
♣ Best Mario Kart ever and you haven't played it?! Tsk, tsk. ;p ♥

♣ If you don't like to snake, then you will not like facing competitive Mario Kart players much. >.< ♥
even though I have to try it , I'm really convinced that no Mario Kart could ever replace Mario Kart 64 for me. prolly nostalgia reasons and though SMK was my first MK :laugh:

Im the competitive type of MKer , and player in general , so I'm pretty sure if I had the game while it was in its prime , I would have snaked.

I even find ridiculous to give a name to that "technique" because its not , its just using miniturbos in the most effective way possible since they make you go faster , why limiting and gimping oneself to use it only in curves when its possible to do it on straights too? :confused:

Anyway , I followed the whole debate between snaker and anti-snakers since 2005 even though I never played the game and Im pretty sure up until today that it was just a confrontation between casual Mario Karters and competitive ones , thats all , and I found it normal for a game that appealed so many people at the same time and that can all , from different origins habits and skill level , playing together, Nintendo obviously didnt see that coming.

I guess they managed to fix it with MKW as theres no major broken technique that can give some players insane advantadge, and I bet all the following MKs are gonna follow that trend

Top Bottom