• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
This just isn't true at all. Even with items I have been able to consistently place higher than my friends in the vast majority of our online races and quite a few people can confirm this (and we've played a lot). It had very little to do with luck.
I've won many races as well. I've played for probably more than a whole run through of a JRPG already.

I'll quote when you state "very little" since you seem to be agreeing that there is some points in the game when you got trashed when you didn't have to, like everyone.

I won't respond to everything since I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point but there will always be a luck factor when it comes to items. There will be times when you out-race the competition and end up placing poorly due to getting bopped by Red Shells over and over, and on the flip side there will be times when you have no business beating people but you end up out lucking them with items. Tough ****. Welcome to Mario Kart.
Thank you. Welcome to Mario Kart as well. You said that my previous post isn't true at all yet it seems like you're 100% agreeing with me here.

However these elements of luck are not nearly enough to consistently overcome good racing lines, good item management, and overall knowledge of the game. This is an indisputable fact.
Yes. I don't think I ever challenged such a fact.

Doing things like not passing a person with triple red shells or trying to bump into someone with triple mushrooms is something an experienced player should do.

This still doesn't remove the fact that there are things that just shouldn't happen in regards to fairness. Like a Blue Shell rocketing you to double digit place marks as you inevitably watch yourself wiggle your arms while still getting destroyed by extra items people just got and eventually knocked off the track losing all your coins in the process.

Albiet, this only happens sometime, so there's that.

tl;dr - A better racer will be able to beat a lesser one the majority of the time regardless of luck, and in a game like Mario Kart 8 that's all you can really ask for.
Yeah. That's true for almost anything with a competitive spirit.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The rest of my post after the 1st part you quoted wasn't meant to be directed towards you in particular.
Well, it welcomes a reply. I'm just stating my opinions on the matter. I'm willing to go farther in the discussion if this topic is serious.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So is it just me, or is it that 80% of the time I try to join a friends game I get a connection failure on the stage roulette?It's happened way to frequently for me to consider it to be just bad luck.

Also, does anyone know how much the coins affect your overall speed?

LF2K

Floor Diver
I've started calling the Cloud Glider "Happy Little Clouds", after Bob Ross. Is that strange? :p

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well, it welcomes a reply. I'm just stating my opinions on the matter. I'm willing to go farther in the discussion if this topic is serious.
Quite frankly I don't really care enough atm to go into details. I think the item balance is just fine and I'll leave it at that.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Quite frankly I don't really care enough atm to go into details. I think the item balance is just fine and I'll leave it at that.
Well, I actually agree with that statement.

Everyone else here seems to think it's super imbalanced and game breaking.

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I too like the item balance.

Now, I noticed something interesting while in a race. I was in second place for most of the round, and lost sight of the player ahead of me a little before the finish line. I was really curious as to how this was possible, since he had been hit with a Blue Shell moments earlier. You'd think that after something like that, I'd at least be able to see him when crossing the finish line in second place. I took a look at the MKTV replay and saw that the player was literally unharmed by the Blue Shell. Still got the replay to show for it, although it only appears in the "Full" setting so I can't upload it to YouTube using conventional means.

The Blue Shell struck the ground as normally and created an explosion, but the player just drove out of the sphere of impact. I wonder if this is a glitch -- anyone else witness anything like this?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Now, I noticed something interesting while in a race. I was in second place for most of the round, and lost sight of the player ahead of me a little before the finish line. I was really curious as to how this was possible, since he had been hit with a Blue Shell moments earlier. You'd think that after something like that, I'd at least be able to see him when crossing the finish line in second place. I took a look at the MKTV replay and saw that the player was literally unharmed by the Blue Shell. Still got the replay to show for it, although it only appears in the "Full" setting so I can't upload it to YouTube using conventional means.

The Blue Shell struck the ground as normally and created an explosion, but the player just drove out of the sphere of impact. I wonder if this is a glitch -- anyone else witness anything like this?
Unless the player used a mushroom to dodge it, it's probably some sort of replay glitch or maybe there is some kind of exploit. You can become invulnerable to a blue shell the split second after something else hits you, like a banana. Since banana's don't harm you as much, hitting a banana is actually a beneficial thing to do if you have no other options for avoiding the blue shell.

As for the item balance, I don't want it totally reworked, I'd just like a few more options, and maybe re-think the balance used in Global/Regional modes.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541

It's possible to dodge if you have a mushroom. Or some hardcore lag maybe

Last edited:

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
It's possible to dodge if you have a mushroom. Or some hardcore lag maybe
His hands were clearly empty, so hardcore lag it must be. Or he had invincibility from being hit with something else -- it's hard to say whether or not he was hit with anything, as the explosion obstructs the view at the moment of impact. The race itself felt entirely normal, though. Frustrating, I must say.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

I don't know why that happened, but I saw it in a Luigi meme.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I just finished a race (got 1st, foist win o' the day for me) and I **** you not, literally EVERY ITEM BOX EXCEPT ONE gave me a coin. I'm starting to question the item balance more and more every day.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Coins honestly blow; it's a terrible item. The only way I've been able to make them somewhat useful is to keep the Coin until just before the next batch of Item Boxes. By doing this, I'm able to grab some free Coins if I do get hit by something before getting to the boxes, but if I come across a new batch of boxes, I just get rid of it hoping to get a Banana or Green Shell. Other than that, the Coin basically isn't useful for much, and usually spells death due to 2nd and 3rd frequenting Triple Reds.

More reason to prioritise Acceleration combos I guess.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Just wanted to copy here what I posted on facebook to some of my friends about Mario Kart 8 Strats.

So for those playing Mario Kart 8 and need tips on how to win online races and what not. I just wanted to give my own personal opinion about how you can strategize and win this crazy hell of a game, and compare it to how its like from the other Mario Karts.

First let me just say items could not be any more important in this game, moreso than any other Mario Kart, mostly because there are so few item blocks throughout the entire track and also that a player is weak as hell in terms of defense because of the 1 item only downgrade. Basically what I'm trying to say is don't miss an item block, ever, and dont carelessly throw away your items anymore, even if you approach a new item block.

Because a person only has 1 item now, the moment they throw it away, you can throw a red shell at them. Even if you're far ahead you risk getting a coin and leaving yourself completely vulnerable, so just like, dont ever get rid of your item unless they do throw a shell at you. It's very important to note that if a Blue shell hits you while you're holding out your item, you lose it, where as if you don't take it out, you get to keep it. This is HUGE because while you feel safe having it out protecting you at all times, you lose it during the blue shell and then get gang ***** by red shells, at least by not using the item, you can save it for the red shell that comes after the blue shell, and maintain your lead if you're far enough.

As for the race in general, once you start, do whatever you can to get into the front as quickly as possible, then start nabbing all the item blocks and coins and hope to god that you get something to defend yourself with before you get hit once and get stuck in the back. One thing I like to do is essentially "pick out" an item box that im coming up to and then suddenly veer and grab another one instead, because the guy behind you will be like "okay this guy has claimed this item box so i'll just go for this one" and then you're all like "PSYCHE" and take his item box instead. Now he has no item and thats VERY GOOD FOR YOU. Now he can't attack you and he himself serves as a shield for any other racers behind you. Then use racing skills to stay up in the lead and get away from the rest of the pack, keep a item you can defend yourself with and never use it or take it out (as mentioned earlier). Then from there on just hope major unlucky **** doesn't happen to you and you should win.

Pro Mario Kart strats

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You dont absolutely need a defensive item, you just need to use the back mirror to monitor the items of the guys behind you and watch for anything incoming. Only real dangerous items are Fireflower, Boomerang, and Reds; the first two ccan be dodged by good use of back mirror, and reds can be blocked by bonking walls if you do it right. You really just want to rush to 10 coins and get the lead. As soon as you start front running, THEN you should try and get the defensive item, but always prioritize getting coins and to the front over getting a defensive item. Also, being aggressive at item boxes is huge in this game, and DRAFTING IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!! Always try and get constant drafts while youre behind, theyre super easy in this game. Another thing, backspaming at item boxes is almost always the smarter option when in 2nd/3rd over trying to hit first if that guy has a defensive item unless you have something like a Boomerang, Fireflower, or Red, since it allows to increase the gap between you and the guy behind you making them less of a factor.

Frontrunning is REALLY STRONG in this game, like you should ALWAYS try to just get first and stay there, its easily the safest position. Due to this, in higher level rooms, its practically a MUST to have at least 4 speed, otherwise you cant reliably hold a lead and you have to rely on agressive snipes and item play in a very defensive game item wise.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We interrupt this item balance discussion to bring you this important news broadcast:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So I had some good races today. Most notably one where I was neck in neck with another Roy for a good half of the race (and I managed to friend him afterwards), and another where I got pelted with items constantly but barely managed to pull out a win. Good day.

I'm the one in the Circuit Special.

EDIT: Friend just sent me this

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

Most likely lag. I've had times where the Blue Shell blew up yet the person seemed unscatched... then all of a sudden he flips and loses 3 coins out of thin air.

@ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist I'm laughing so hard at kamikaze Daisy(?) and yellow Yoshi just watching.

D

Deleted member

I'll shamelessly admit I tried Fire Hopping with Wario in 2 races.
I would've won if I weren't hit by a blue shell in both races. At first glance it may seem to give a small benefit, but if used right then you'll end up leading the pack by a long shot.
EDIT: Friend just sent me this
The amount of times I have done that is an embarrassingly high number.
Also I just had the greatest slipstream of my life, trailed behind second place and ended up wining the race by a hair on Mario Circuit. I also encountered the worst player ever, I have no idea if he just had extremely bad latency but everyone in the race ended up overlapping him. Twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'll shamelessly admit I tried Fire Hopping with Wario in 2 races.
I would've won if I weren't hit by a blue shell in both races. At first glance it may seem to give a small benefit, but if used right then you'll end up leading the pack by a long shot.

The amount of times I have done that is an embarrassingly high number.
Also I just had the greatest slipstream of my life, trailed behind second place and ended up wining the race by a hair on Mario Circuit. I also encountered the worst player ever, I have no idea if he just had extremely bad latency but everyone in the race ended up overlapping him. Twice.
I tried fire hopping today, too. It's a neat way to plow through tourneys, haha. There were times where I completely botched it however and ended up losing a race solely because of that and no item interference followed by item interference, lmao.

I actually raced someone today as well who got lapped by everyone today, too. I like to watch my map after finishing a course to see what last place does. Sometimes they drive backwards, sometimes they completely stop, sometimes they repeatedly fall, it's hilarious watching weird things happen during down time, haha.

Slipstreams are so fun. It's so epic when you watch replays of 4 people trailing behind each other to all get a slipstream and see no one advance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I tried fire hopping today, too. It's a neat way to plow through tourneys, haha. There were times where I completely botched it however and ended up losing a race solely because of that and no item interference followed by item interference, lmao.

I actually raced someone today as well who got lapped by everyone today, too. I like to watch my map after finishing a course to see what last place does. Sometimes they drive backwards, sometimes they completely stop, sometimes they repeatedly fall, it's hilarious watching weird things happen during down time, haha.

Slipstreams are so fun. It's so epic when you watch replays of 4 people trailing behind each other to all get a slipstream and see no one advance.
Honestly once you get it down to an art you'll be outspeeding people in no time. Of course it's not being widely used online yet (have not seen a single person utilizing it since it's discovery) but it'll start popping up more eventually.

I once got 3 slipstreams in a row on MK Stadium on the very first lap (and when I say in a row I really mean it, right after one of them stopped I got behind someone else and started charging up another one immediately), putting me in first place when we got to the anti-grav section. I ended up winning the race, needless to say, but if someone got a red shell I was screwed, because that was the same race where I got coins from every item box except 1.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I take back what I said about babies and 'shrooms.

Went from 7th to first with that last maneuver. Also have a replay of me outrunning a Red Shell with a Mushroom (along with dodging a Pirahna Plant hazard) on Sweet Canyon. Would upload that one, but it's just not the same without the slo-mo effects.

On another note, after being busy all weekend with graduation prep, I finally got 3 Stars on the last Mirror/Special Cup race. In the most bull**** of ways, no less. Ran over 2 Mushrooms that were dropped by Lightning while on the "upper" path during the 2nd half of Rainbow Road (8's, not 64) while using Triple 'Shrooms myself. I wound up going so fast that I flew off the top track, by which point I lost all hope. Then somehow managed to shift my momentum, not fly off the boundaries, then land on the "bottom" path by like an inch. I was dumbfounded, since it looked like I was facing backwards, but I actually flew forward far enough to put me comfortably in 1st place (was in 3rd when I got the 'Shrooms) with a Mushroom to spare.

Can't be bothered to do Time Trials, so I'll be playing mostly online from now on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just got 2 Crazy 8s in a row in a race where I got item spammed to hell and dropped from 1st to last.
I felt terrible for everyone else but I would be lying if I were to say I didn't yell out "JUSTICE!" all the way through the glory.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was spectating that match. Item balance be damned, that was poetically beautiful.

Shame we can't seem to have more than one match before a disconnected error.

D

Deleted member

I was spectating that match. Item balance be damned, that was poetically beautiful.

Shame we can't seem to have more than one match before a disconnected error.
Seems to be a common problem, I see topics pop up on r/MarioKart every now and then about people not choosing a course in time and getting a communication error. Here's to hoping it gets better.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It varies for me. At times I can go hours without DC but sometimes I get a DC every race. Usually happens at night.

And usually on tournaments.

Top Bottom