• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Bikalina is by far the most popular combo online for one reason or another, even though the other characters in her weight class (Waluigi, Roy, and DK, otherwise known as the cruiser characters) can preform just as well as her, if not better. People just want some of dat sweet Rosy ***.

Rosalina, more like Rosalinass!

Anyway this is a perfect segue into my amazing little moment that I finally got uploaded yesterday (uploaded the whole race because the little moment is more surprising then):

I was using the rear view mirror to block the Red Shell with the Super Horn, as I normally do in that kind of situation. I got a warning indicator for the Red Shell before using the rear view mirror, but not for the Blue Shell. So when I saw the Blue Shell approaching from the distance, right before I jumped of the ramp, I tried to move faster to line the two shells up and - BOOOM!!!

NOBODY TOUCHES THE SPACE QUEEN

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Its more like anyone lighter than Mario/Luigi (MAYBE not Peach/Daisy/Yoshi, not sure yet) is bad. The Mid/Heavy weights are all pretty much the same general stats just a little different once you're done putting together your combo. Basically, you just need about a 4 or higher in speed to be viable, which the lightest 2 weights definitely cant do.
It's a shame that you actually have to use the inside drifting bikes if you want 4+ speed, and get a tolerable acceleration stat at the same time. If you're so concerned about acceleration, but can only really utilize outside drifting properly, your options pretty much drop down to the Biddybuggy, Landship, and Mr. Scooty vehicle bodies, followed by the Roller, Azure Roller, and Button wheels.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, Ive been loving Morton / Jet Bike / Roller / MKTV, its really good:

Ever since the Accel stat was found to be tiered again, Ive been using that to great success; imo if it weren't for fire hopping, this would be the undeniable best online combo.

Due to the Accel tiers though, like you said, there really isnt any way to build Heavy weights with good Speed AND Accel without inward drift, but Cruisers/Metals/Mediums/Royals can do it just fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Based on what one of the Mario Kart Wii forum moderators stated, the acceleration tiers might somewhat be debatable, since it may be implied that the speed stat plays a factor as well. If two characters have the exact same acceleration, and yet one of them has a higher speed stat, then you'd think that the one with the better speed would be shown to recover quicker.

But I guess the answer to this dilemma is to pair someone with 3 speed and 4.75 acceleration against someone who has 3.5 speed and 4.5 acceleration. Of course, the handling differences can sometimes play a factor on who's better, which may make you prefer to use Rosalina or Roy over Bowser or Morton.

On the other hand, 4.75 and 4.5 are a small difference, so to know entirely if the acceleration tiers do exist, you'd have to compare 4.75 acceleration to 4 acceleration, much like with the following example.

In the end, however, even with the existence of acceleration tiers, the hidden stats can play a much bigger role, since the former combo is more efficient with the handling stats than the latter combo.

Last edited:

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
Yeah, Ive been loving Morton / Jet Bike / Roller / MKTV, its really good:

Ever since the Accel stat was found to be tiered again, Ive been using that to great success; imo if it weren't for fire hopping, this would be the undeniable best online combo.

Due to the Accel tiers though, like you said, there really isnt any way to build Heavy weights with good Speed AND Accel without inward drift, but Cruisers/Metals/Mediums/Royals can do it just fine.
Where are you getting these stats?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Id link you but im on my phone, just google 'Mario Kart 8 Stat Calculator' and the MK Forums thread for it should be like the first thing listed. And there are multiple videos on youtube, some over 10 mins long, that go through and methodically prove the Accel tiering system. Id link, but again, im on my phone, just search 'Mario Kart 8 Accel Tiering' in Google or Youtube and you should get results.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So how much of a role do the gliders play in this?
Very little. Gliders make the tiniest difference, and in reality, there are only two gliders in terms of stats, since all of the gliders fit into one of either pair. Some slightly increase weight and slightly decrease acceleration, while others do the opposite. This is not the counting the Gold Glider, since I have not unlocked this yet, I can't say how it changes my favoured combo.

-----

So do you know that little icon that tells people you use the Wii Wheel? Do you need to use an actual Wii Wheel, or do you just need to use motion controls? Better yet, can I just use the GamePad's gyroscope?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
My favourite courses are Mount Wario, Electrodrome, Cloudtop Cruise, Shy Guy Falls and SNES Donut Plains 3, even though I suck on Donut Plains unless I take the short-cut through the water, which isn't always possible.

Least favourite goes to Dolphin Shoals, hands down. This course is incredibly overrated IMO. Beautiful visuals, but my God is it boring, and that last turn after the Gliding section annoys me every time. Funny too, as I thought I'd like this track, but I guess it's one of those things where once you play the game, you have new experiences.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I find for heavy characters if you want to make the sharp turns(which are usually right after glide sections), you have to land as soon as possible, right near the edge, away from the corner, and drift right away.

Examples are Dolphin Shoals as stated, Dry Bones, and Bowser's Castle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just won 4 straight races in a row with Waluigi, something I've never done with any other character.
Moral of the story; Waluigi really IS number one. One of said wins was extremely close too, but the Tick-Tock-Clock shortcut is just 2gud.
I would've kept the streak going if a comm error didn't occur in the middle of a race. I also lost VR because of that too, so that's fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I just stopped playing as Waluigi in favor of Wario, funny enough. Breakdancing shenanigans amused me only for so long.

On another note, crappily-recorded that vid I was talking about the other day of just barely pulling this off:

It felt as glorious as it looks.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I just won 4 straight races in a row with Waluigi, something I've never done with any other character.
Moral of the story; Waluigi really IS number one. One of said wins was extremely close too, but the Tick-Tock-Clock shortcut is just 2gud.
I would've kept the streak going if a comm error didn't occur in the middle of a race. I also lost VR because of that too, so that's fun.
After 200 matches playing Bowser only(I think I did this because I wanna main Smash 4 Bowser), I switched over to DK and Waluigi.

Favorite car combo: Pink Kitty car with Crimson Slim. Best car to beat people with. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I've actually noticed this myself - Blue Shells don't seem good at changing their target in this game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So after a week...

Basically, the game is barebones as hell. It's not any better than Mario Kart 7. All it has is basic racing, which doesn't feel rewarding. You race, you learn nothing. You don't improve. The racing is just so, so basic that it's so easy to get bored of. Don't get me wrong, the racing itself? Fun. But for how long? Definitely not more than a 15 minute session.

I see everyone saying the online is the meat of the game. But why? What difference is there from offline with CPU? It's not like Street Fighter where real players can do stuff CPU's can't, so what's the difference? Sure, they're a little better, but who plays MK to win? Isn't the fun in the racing itself, not the competition? It's why online = offline to me. Local multiplayer is different because we can actually interact with each other, and react with each other. But a person online is no different from a CPU to me. Hell, at least offline has VARIETY. Online is just full of Rosalina or heavyweight racers, it's monotonous. I'm guilty as well because my favorite characters (Wario, DK, Metal Mario and Roy) are heavyweights.

When I'm ahead, I don't feel like it's because of my own skills. Is there even any skill in the game? It's SO basic. Compared to Super Circuit which actually has depth in its racing that it can be borderline F-Zero. Unlike MK8 though, Super Circuit can get away with not having much content (and it has MORE than MK8, at least) because the core racing is REWARDING. Everyone loved MK DS because of the CONTENT. Battle mode and mission mode are just as fun as the racing, so switching between them keeps everything fresh. There's nothing like that with MK8. The variety is in the fantastic track designs, but which Mario Kart doesn't have fantastic track designs?

Mario Kart 8 is fun. It is fun as hell. But only for 15 minutes. It lacks depth. It lacks content.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
There were times when I've taken 1st for what feels like 3 seconds while the person I took it from gets Blue Shelled and vice versa.

@ IsmaR IsmaR : LOL. Greatest thing ever. How does it feel?

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus : That's fine with me. I'm a simple guy when it comes to video games. There is a level of skill when playing Mario Kart though not as crazy as say... Melee. The best parts of the game are when everyone is close quarters. Races where 1st place and 12th place are in the same general area brings a level of excitement in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

If the blue shell is already out, it won't change it's target for anything. The person in first could get dropped back to last and it would STILL hit them with it's unrelenting fury.
In other news I hit 3K VR, yaaaaaaaay.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did start doing some online races, and I've been fortunate enough to win each one. There were a couple close calls though.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So is acceleration the only stat that's tiered? Gonna have to mess around with my kart combinations some more then.

Here's something funny. These two guys tried to have the most boring race ever and then watched what MKTV considered a highlight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Destroyed my first blue shell in an online game, felt pretty damn good.
Though that was soon followed by me getting hit by 3 ****ing red shells in a row and losing first at the last stretch of Mount Wario.
*violent eye twitching*

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus : That's fine with me. I'm a simple guy when it comes to video games. There is a level of skill when playing Mario Kart though not as crazy as say... Melee. The best parts of the game are when everyone is close quarters. Races where 1st place and 12th place are in the same general area brings a level of excitement in my opinion.
Oh don't get me wrong, a game doesn't have to be competitive for me to like it. I love Melee for its depth, sure, but I also love Brawl for different reasons.

Racing lacking depth wouldn't bother me so much if the content is there, but there isn't. That's actually my biggest issue with the game. As it stands now, though, this is the kind of game that I'd pop up when I invite my friends over.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've never found Dolphin Shoals to be a hassle, I really like the course.

So after a week...

Basically, the game is barebones as hell. It's not any better than Mario Kart 7. All it has is basic racing, which doesn't feel rewarding. You race, you learn nothing. You don't improve. The racing is just so, so basic that it's so easy to get bored of. Don't get me wrong, the racing itself? Fun. But for how long? Definitely not more than a 15 minute session.

I see everyone saying the online is the meat of the game. But why? What difference is there from offline with CPU? It's not like Street Fighter where real players can do stuff CPU's can't, so what's the difference? Sure, they're a little better, but who plays MK to win? Isn't the fun in the racing itself, not the competition? It's why online = offline to me. Local multiplayer is different because we can actually interact with each other, and react with each other. But a person online is no different from a CPU to me. Hell, at least offline has VARIETY. Online is just full of Rosalina or heavyweight racers, it's monotonous. I'm guilty as well because my favorite characters (Wario, DK, Metal Mario and Roy) are heavyweights.

When I'm ahead, I don't feel like it's because of my own skills. Is there even any skill in the game? It's SO basic. Compared to Super Circuit which actually has depth in its racing that it can be borderline F-Zero. Unlike MK8 though, Super Circuit can get away with not having much content (and it has MORE than MK8, at least) because the core racing is REWARDING. Everyone loved MK DS because of the CONTENT. Battle mode and mission mode are just as fun as the racing, so switching between them keeps everything fresh. There's nothing like that with MK8. The variety is in the fantastic track designs, but which Mario Kart doesn't have fantastic track designs?

Mario Kart 8 is fun. It is fun as hell. But only for 15 minutes. It lacks depth. It lacks content.
My thoughts, more or less.

That, and I feel the game misses out on a number of features it really should have, such as lacking an invite button/notification system when forming lobbies for friends, and lacking GamePad enhanced split-screen.

On another note, here are a few well hidden Easter Eggs in the game that most people will probably never notice.

Last edited:

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Not sure if this has been answered, I did a search but I'm not going through 58 pages.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have the second player's online ranking be kept. I was playing with my girlfriend, and after we finished playing, and went back to the game later her ranking was brought back to 1000. She was very disappointed. She was using a Mii that has an account on the Wii U.

Tips anyone?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Not sure if this has been answered, I did a search but I'm not going through 58 pages.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have the second player's online ranking be kept. I was playing with my girlfriend, and after we finished playing, and went back to the game later her ranking was brought back to 1000. She was very disappointed. She was using a Mii that has an account on the Wii U.

Tips anyone?
I'm pretty sure that only the first (main) player will gain VR. Any Guests will have their VR reset.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
I'm pretty sure that only the first (main) player will gain VR. Any Guests will have their VR reset.
That's rather unfortunate. It definitely feels like it diminishes 2 player online.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
That's rather unfortunate. It definitely feels like it diminishes 2 player online.
It's probably just Nintendo's way of implementing a "Guest" without actually listing them as a guest. In MKW, the guest didn't even have a visible vr, nor did they gain or lose vr, so I guess it's somewhat more of an interactive feel for the guest this time around.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Clutch finish, I got from 10th to 4th basically because I stole a Star from someone that had Crazy 8, bumped the enemy Mario into the line of Shell fire, and just made it, lol.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Yesterday, I got an amazing play while playing with my brother. So we were on Sunshine Airport, both under the plane, and he was a little bit ahead. I chucked a banana forward, it ricocheted off the bottom of the plane, and hit him.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I just got some great item throws. Mostly the bob-omb throw a the end which won me the race. And of course MKTV refuses to show it all. Also 3000 vr yay.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So this was a pretty straightforward/boring match, nothing too special (unfortunately MKTV didn't get my last Boomerang hit, which took me from 5th to 2nd).

If you noticed at the end, the other Mario was spazzing out.
Couldn't get it at a better angle, but on my screen he was doing victory donuts behind me.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
GGs @Chucklehead Tom.

Could feel dead tonight because those were custom rooms and the last was a regional room. I was hoping for more people but I guess all the custom rooms are worldwide :/

Top Bottom