• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So, I turned on my Wii U this morning to find some kind of reasonably large update. I wonder if it's related to the glitch in MK8. I haven't seen any responses or reports from the victims regarding fixes, but yeah. I still won't play until we know for sure.
There was already a known firmware update planned for Wii U in June. It was supposed to add a quick start menu where you put some of your favourite apps in a basic menu that lets you start them up without booting up the full Wii U menu. It was also to improve the speed of software boot-ups. It also updates the NNID menu, among with some other features.

This is the update that came out today, so it's likely unrelated to the MK8 issue as it was planned a while ago.

Also, the GamePad will now make a sound when you receive notifications, which is a huge boon for MK8. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Now that we've had some time, what do you guys think of the item balance in the game? I think it could use some tweaks myself (I'm pretty damn tired of getting single mushrooms in 7th place, and it just feels wrong getting triple red shells and crazy 8s in 2nd place) but otherwise I think it's probably the best it's been in any MK game.
I think it could use a bit of tweaking. Based on the races I've been having online, One person will get in first and then everyone behind him will end up fighting over second with red shells, constantly hitting each other as the person in first just gets farther and farther. At this point the only ways to catch up is for the people in 3rd and 2nd to cooperate to take down the guy in 1st, or the guy in 2nd has to get a triple red shell, or wait for someone in the back to get a lightning bolt or blue shell. So I think the item balance needs to be tweaked so that either:
a) The people in the back get items that give them boosts as opposed to offensive items so that the group can better keep up with the person in first without constantly screwing each other. However mushrooms are already pretty common in the back, so maybe they just need a speed or length buff.
b) Blue shells and/or lightning need to be just a tad more common.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
One person complains about 1st place not being protected enough while the next person claims 1st place is too safe... xD

Item balance is just fine IMO.

Shog

Smash Ace
Damn, the MK8 gifs I found are amazing, especially with Luigi
Example?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One person complains about 1st place not being protected enough while the next person claims 1st place is too safe... xD.
And therein lies the problem with MK8's item system. As I stated when I first got the game - the item system is schizophrenic.

One race, you feel cheated out of winning, and the next, you might feel the win is given to you to the point where it feels wrong.

I can list many examples where the game has cheated me out of a very well earned win, but I can list just as many where I felt like the win was handed to me when I didn't deserve it.

To quote my initial example:

Item system is schizophrenic as all hell. For example, there was one race where I rocket boosted straight to the front, and while in 1st, got coins from the three item boxes in a row before getting something I can actually make use of - I know people were making that argument where you should hold the items until you really need them, and I agree, but in this case, it took me 4 item boxes to get something I can use at all - I can't help that (also, it just makes first place feel a bit more boring than it should - it removes a lot of suspense since I know I'll mostly just get coins that do nothing for me). Then, in another race, I got a Super Horn, blocked a Blue Shell with it, and got another Super Horn immediately after.
Also, while playing multiplayer with my brother, I got a Crazy 8 IN SECOND PLACE, while being just behind the person in first. On the last lap. Needless to say, I won that one. Also, while going through the 50cc cups, I pretty much never used items. I always held on to them until I needed to block stuff. I feel like in a Mario Kart game, I should be using the items a bit more than that. I just seriously had no use for them. Granted, it was 50cc, but still, I feel like while item balancing is better for those in later positions (I don't find myself getting hit by 5 items in a row like MKWii, and Blue Shells are not as devastating even when they hit you, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, it's really all over the place. I think a few tweaks should be made to make it feel less like the game is having mood swings. I don't mind this in Frantic, but in Normal, the items should be a bit more balanced.

R0Y

Smash Master
So, I turned on my Wii U this morning to find some kind of reasonably large update. I wonder if it's related to the glitch in MK8. I haven't seen any responses or reports from the victims regarding fixes, but yeah. I still won't play until we know for sure.
No it's not unless it somehow locks out something that MK8 was corrupting. Update adds quick start if you have standby functions enabled and a few other goodies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd just like to note that I ordered a Wii LAN Adapter last night as well as an Ethernet Passthrough Adapter, so I will be online more regularly from next week onward, as right now, I can only play online by moving the Wii U to a different room.

Also, I uploaded some custom recorded videos, and upscaled them to 4K to save as much quality as I could from YouTube's compression. If I get into recording lots of MK8 videos, they will look like this (also, I managed to get a close up of Rosalina's butt in the third video if anyone is interested in that! :p):

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
(also, I managed to get a close up of Rosalina's butt in the third video if anyone is interested in that! :p):
Come on...lol. She's not a really person!

EDIT: Actually if she were that'd be worse :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And therein lies the problem with MK8's item system. As I stated when I first got the game - the item system is schizophrenic.

One race, you feel cheated out of winning, and the next, you might feel the win is given to you to the point where it feels wrong.

I can list many examples where the game has cheated me out of a very well earned win, but I can list just as many where I felt like the win was handed to me when I didn't deserve it.

To quote my initial example:
Honestly you getting 2 Super Horns in a row is just crazy good luck, I barely ever get them in 1st. And I agree, there are definitely some times where I've won where I don't feel like I should have, (One such example is me getting triple red shells in 2nd place at the last stretch of Sunshine Airport, which I naturally chucked at the guy ahead of me. Sure I won, but I probably didn't deserve it.) and some times where I've lost where it feels like I was cheated out of a win. (Like the time I got lightning bolted and at the exact same time someone got a bullet bill, and proceeded to pass me right at the finish line. A liberal amount of swearing followed.)
One person complains about 1st place not being protected enough while the next person claims 1st place is too safe... xD

Item balance is just fine IMO.
I'm not really saying that 1st place isn't safe enough (it kinda flip flops really), I'm saying that it seems that at times you get items when you probably shouldn't, like the aforementioned 2nd place triple red shell, and sometimes not getting good enough items when you're behind. The item balance is good, but it has some glaring problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm picking up MK8 tomorrow. I'm very excited, based on what I read.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
been messing around with different karts and stuff...inside drifting is kinda hard for me so a heavy w/ circuit special/roller/whatever evens out accel to 3 is really good for me.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
These Luigi gifs. Lmao.

I find it funny people are complaining about imbalance, though. Yes, I myself get frustrated when I get Blue Shelled then triple Red Shelled resulting in me being in first then dropping to 9th but the point of items is that they are random at the end of the day.

Yes, Nintendo attempted to balance items.

But they're items. There is no skill in items unless the game centered around Green Shells only. The game is almost entirely luck based as long as you don't use a horribly customized car.

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
So I've tried to hop online quite a few times today, but I keep getting error messages whenever I connect. Anyone else having this problem?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
These Luigi gifs. Lmao.

I find it funny people are complaining about imbalance, though. Yes, I myself get frustrated when I get Blue Shelled then triple Red Shelled resulting in me being in first then dropping to 9th but the point of items is that they are random at the end of the day.

Yes, Nintendo attempted to balance items.

But they're items. There is no skill in items unless the game centered around Green Shells only. The game is almost entirely luck based as long as you don't use a horribly customized car.
There is skill to items - well timed bananas and Green Shells can get people off your tail, but can also trip up people in front of you with good aim. Bob-Ombs are similar, but more deadly, though can potentially devastate you if you aren't. Red Shells need to be used carefully, as launching it at the wrong time means you waste it as your opponent blocks it or dodges it, and this could leave you defenseless. Mushrooms can be used to catch up on a straight, or make huge off-road corner cuts, and can be used to dodge Blue Shells, and can be used to ram people out of the way, potentially off course. The Super Horn can block Blue Shells so it may be handy to save it for those, or you can use it to block other attacks or to take out everyone around you. Crazy Eights can be used all at once to blow through the immediate competition, or you can only use the items obtained when they are really needed.

That's just a few examples of how items are applied in ways that utilise skill. However, when we say item balance, we mean the frequency at which certain items are appearing in some positions. In MK8, this is very flawed. In terms of how the items function, there is no issue. In terms of how they are being dished out, there are a lot of problems, and it's good to criticise these problems as we may get patches.

D

Deleted member

There is skill to items - well timed bananas and Green Shells can get people off your tail, but can also trip up people in front of you with good aim. Bob-Ombs are similar, but more deadly, though can potentially devastate you if you aren't. Red Shells need to be used carefully, as launching it at the wrong time means you waste it as your opponent blocks it or dodges it, and this could leave you defenseless. Mushrooms can be used to catch up on a straight, or make huge off-road corner cuts, and can be used to dodge Blue Shells, and can be used to ram people out of the way, potentially off course. The Super Horn can block Blue Shells so it may be handy to save it for those, or you can use it to block other attacks or to take out everyone around you. Crazy Eights can be used all at once to blow through the immediate competition, or you can only use the items obtained when they are really needed.

That's just a few examples of how items are applied in ways that utilise skill. However, when we say item balance, we mean the frequency at which certain items are appearing in some positions. In MK8, this is very flawed. In terms of how the items function, there is no issue. In terms of how they are being dished out, there are a lot of problems, and it's good to criticise these problems as we may get patches.
Making a clutch green shell throw can often mean the difference between first or second place. I remember making one on Donut Plains where I nailed a Yoshi that was trailing a banana behind him right in the side, and that won me the race, basically. There is some luck involved in Mario Kart, but to say that it's completely luck based is silly, like you said there's a lot of skill involved as well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Nothing too big that I can really complain about. Maybe Mushrooms feeling a tad bit...useless at times? That and always getting a single Mushroom in 9th, while the guy directly in front of me gets Triple, or even Golden Mushrooms.

Also earlier I got a Star in 2nd place. lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
I did something somewhat similar to this in MKDS.

In any case, I'm a bit torn - I like the concept and it actually makes sense, but it does seem like a glitch, as it seemingly goes on for quite a while.

I will be using this regardless, though. Hey, if they don't patch it, may as well use it to improve my game.
A necessary evil, so to speak, until they patch it up. :054:Sad to see exploits rearing their heads so early on in the game's life span.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
I did something somewhat similar to this in MKDS.

In any case, I'm a bit torn - I like the concept and it actually makes sense, but it does seem like a glitch, as it seemingly goes on for quite a while.

I will be using this regardless, though. Hey, if they don't patch it, may as well use it to improve my game.
Exactly how does that work in MKDS? This is the first I've heard about it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't necessarily think they should scrap it as a whole, but as it stands, it's a total glitch, as it is really overpowered, and the way it plays out makes no sense. The similar trick in MKDS that I used was more related to the game's physics - when going down a hill, I would hop like crazy at the end of it and as long as I was going straight, I would retain any extra speed I had for a bit longer, due to the extra bits of hang time I had. This worked best with karts that had little traction, but since that game naturally was a bit more slippery, it doesn't seem to work in other games. It was only a minor technique though - this MK8 glitch is outright extending boost time for no discernible reason, other than it likely being some coding over sight.

There's also the fact that it doesn't work with inside drifting bikes, and since those are popular, this could be a problem.

D

Deleted member

I don't necessarily think they should scrap it as a whole, but as it stands, it's a total glitch, as it is really overpowered, and the way it plays out makes no sense. The similar trick in MKDS that I used was more related to the game's physics - when going down a hill, I would hop like crazy at the end of it and as long as I was going straight, I would retain any extra speed I had for a bit longer, due to the extra bits of hang time I had. This worked best with karts that had little traction, but since that game naturally was a bit more slippery, it doesn't seem to work in other games. It was only a minor technique though - this MK8 glitch is outright extending boost time for no discernible reason, other than it likely being some coding over sight.

There's also the fact that it doesn't work with inside drifting bikes, and since those are popular, this could be a problem.
It's very likely going to get patched out, or at least nerfed to a big degree. It honestly would've been better if whoever found this out never said a thing, because until Nintendo does something about it (which is questionable, possibly) it's going to plague online for a while.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice

Interesting! I'll have to try that on MKDS!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Am I the only one who thinks Lightning is way too common? I literally get it almost every race.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

I hope you read my entire post. I did mention Shell's being used skillfully at heart, but is still random as an item at its core.

Yes, but it still all falls under the category of items. And the fact that you can't choose the item you want to use. Even if you skillfully aimed a Green Shell at 1st place resulting in your win, it's all up to the random element of the game if you even GET a Green Shell. Not only that, but it's all up to luck if first place even obtains a means of defending himself in the first place(I've gone a whole lap only getting coins once).

The rest of the uses aren't what I would consider skill as much as I would consider it being aware of your surroundings. It doesn't take much thought to realize someone is holding a banana or shell behind them.

Catching up using Mushrooms by cutting corners or using intended shortcuts also fall under awareness. It's purely your knowledge of the game if you do that. However, keeping up with the speed boost and not running into pipes or walls does fall under skillful play.

The Blue Shell is perhaps the grand daddy of all randomness as well. I don't know why you mentioned this one even if it involves the super horn(which through my experience, is rarer than a Blue Shell at any place. Sure, you can block it, but the Blue Shell by itself is the very pinnacle of unfair. First place got out of the chaos by driving perfectly in the first few seconds. After driving perfectly some more, he gets destroyed by a Blue Shell and potentially drops down 6 places. Its only redeemable merit is jepordizing the scoreboard which should NOT be altered by someone who places low enough to obtain a Blue Shell. This is me despising Blue Shells. Playing as a heavy character is a nightmare with these.

Skill is a wonky word in Mario Kart. I wouldn't use it past being able to drift closely to corners, streamlining perfectly, perfect start boost, and avoidance of hazards.

Of course there is skill in some items. Timing your shots, banana sniping, bomb sniping, etc. I just think the game RNG is what defines how far skill goes in this game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's very likely going to get patched out, or at least nerfed to a big degree. It honestly would've been better if whoever found this out never said a thing, because until Nintendo does something about it (which is questionable, possibly) it's going to plague online for a while.
I just tested it out myself.

It's not totally abuse-able. It can screw your turns over if you go too tightly, and it actually slowed me down when I tried it on non-anti gravity curves.

I recommend only using it as you switch drift directions for shifting turns, after a really long drift with a straight to follow, or after a series of boost pads or after using a Mushroom on a straight.

Then again, I just tried it out in a few races, none of which I won (I went to a No Items tournament to make sure I could try it, after testing it in time trial). So maybe it's more useful with practice. It also may have been that my vehicle combo doesn't work well with it (Rosalina - Standard Quad, Crimson Slim, Standard Glider).

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
First time posting a vid through MKTV. It's pretty ok and it's easy to do, the only thing is I just don't like how you can't post full races. I hope Nintendo tries something like this for Smash Bros.

R0Y

Smash Master
The snaking is really annoying and constant in the top time trials, if not online.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just noticed that when Rosalina passes someone, she sometimes says "TA-TA!".

She's gonna be the death of me, just look at her.

*hides away in a hole*

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

*hides away in a hole*

Anywho, this game is addicting as hell. And giffable, too.

D

Deleted member

I just tested it out myself.

It's not totally abuse-able. It can screw your turns over if you go too tightly, and it actually slowed me down when I tried it on non-anti gravity curves.

I recommend only using it as you switch drift directions for shifting turns, after a really long drift with a straight to follow, or after a series of boost pads or after using a Mushroom on a straight.

Then again, I just tried it out in a few races, none of which I won (I went to a No Items tournament to make sure I could try it, after testing it in time trial). So maybe it's more useful with practice. It also may have been that my vehicle combo doesn't work well with it (Rosalina - Standard Quad, Crimson Slim, Standard Glider).
Yeah, I tested it out with my current combo of Iggy + tri-speeder + gold wheels + Bowser Kite, and it's not really too abuse-able. It can boost the effectiveness of your drift turbos, but it does require precision to use well or else it's off the road with you. And does it work after boost pads and mushrooms? It didn't seem like it to me.

And despite the fact that it's not as abuse-able as it seemed at first glance, it's still unfair to people who use inside drifting bikes, like I do from time to time. If it's not patched out, at least make it so they can use it in some capacity.

*hides away in a hole*
Watching Iggy laugh as I pass people after hitting them with a green shell will always bring a sadistic grin across my face.

D

Deleted member

DOUBLE POST IGNORE THIS RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

*hides away in a hole*
The irony about this is that Rosalina steals my heart a lot more when she's wearing her typical dress. Her biker outfit just doesn't do it for me.

D

Deleted member

I know I might be saying this to people who already know, but just in case people aren't aware:
There is a window of time where you can get a way better starting boost. Around halfway between after the 2 comes up and disappears, start revving up. Once the race starts, you'll get a boost that lasts longer and almost puts you at top speed, which is a godsend for lower acceleration combos. It's a bit harder to get down than revving when 2 fades, but it gives a much better benefit.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know I might be saying this to people who already know, but just in case people aren't aware:
There is a window of time where you can get a way better starting boost. Around halfway between after the 2 comes up and disappears, start revving up. Once the race starts, you'll get a boost that lasts longer and almost puts you at top speed, which is a godsend for lower acceleration combos. It's a bit harder to get down than revving when 2 fades, but it gives a much better benefit.
Another little tip in relation to this - instead of watching the 2, watch Lakitu's lights. To get a perfect boost, start revving as soon as you see the second red light. However, do not aim to memorize when the light appears and press the button in tandem. Just let the light appear, and react to it, rather than trying to be in synch with it. Trying to be in synch with the light will cause a burn out. You only want to start revving in the split second after the light's appearance, which is why reacting to the light works best.

This method is much more reliable than watching the 2, because of the fade in effect the 2 has makes it more difficult to pinpoint that sweet spot.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The game is almost entirely luck based as long as you don't use a horribly customized car.
This just isn't true at all. Even with items I have been able to consistently place higher than my friends in the vast majority of our online races and quite a few people can confirm this (and we've played a lot). It had very little to do with luck.

I won't respond to everything since I feel like I'm beating a dead horse at this point but there will always be a luck factor when it comes to items. There will be times when you out-race the competition and end up placing poorly due to getting bopped by Red Shells over and over, and on the flip side there will be times when you have no business beating people but you end up out lucking them with items. Tough ****. Welcome to Mario Kart.

However these elements of luck are not nearly enough to consistently overcome good racing lines, good item management, and overall knowledge of the game. This is an indisputable fact.

tl;dr - A better racer will be able to beat a lesser one the majority of the time regardless of luck, and in a game like Mario Kart 8 that's all you can really ask for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom