• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Found another balanced kart!

Ludwig/Iggy/Mario/Luigi - Standard Kart (or the other vechicles with the same stats) - Roller/Azure Roller - Standard Glider

It has extremely balanced stats.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I accidentally got Wind Waker instead of Pikmin 3 for my free game, so if anyone has their free game, can we possibly trade codes, cause I really wanted Pikmin 3. Thanks.
I was gonna get Wind Waker, so I'll get Pikmin 3 for you if no one has offered yet.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Found another balanced kart!

Ludwig/Iggy/Mario/Luigi - Standard Kart (or the other vechicles with the same stats) - Roller/Azure Roller - Standard Glider

It has extremely balanced stats.
This same combo works well for the Metal category too I'm finding. Only difference is perhaps switching the Standard Glider with an Acceleration Glider or something for Metals to balance it out.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
This same combo works well for the Metal category too I'm finding. Only difference is perhaps switching the Standard Glider with an Acceleration Glider or something for Metals to balance it out.
That's a little less balanced, though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Finished up with all of the Staff Ghosts earlier. I now have all stamps, and 2 parts of the Gold Kart. When I play this game now, I'll be focusing on online play. I can only collect coins to unlock more vehicle parts and that comes naturally with playing online.

R0Y

Smash Master
Finished up with all of the Staff Ghosts earlier. I now have all stamps, and 2 parts of the Gold Kart. When I play this game now, I'll be focusing on online play. I can only collect coins to unlock more vehicle parts and that comes naturally with playing online.
Beat staff ghosts too. Haven't finished mirror mode. Best way to get the gold glider is with 3 or 4 players technically speaking which can't be done online but not a big deal. Good thing the online is free for when i go all-in after mirror mode.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
What is your favorite retro course, and nitro course?

Mine are Yoshi Valley and Dolphin Shoals.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Am I the only one who doesn't have MK8 or the Wii U? I'm dying to play it already!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Beat staff ghosts too. Haven't finished mirror mode. Best way to get the gold glider is with 3 or 4 players technically speaking which can't be done online but not a big deal. Good thing the online is free for when i go all-in after mirror mode.
Good luck with Mirror Mode.

No seriously, skill does not dictate whether or not you win in Mirror Mode Grand Prix, it's luck. The rubber banding is obnoxious, and you never get decent items even after being hit by 3 items in a row and sent back to 9th or something.

Sometimes things went smoothly for me, other times I had to retry cups a ton of times. Granted, I handicapped myself since I was forcing myself to play as the Koopalings to get their character stamps and I had to keep trying out new set-ups. Luckily I had all the character stamps when I still had 3 cups left, so I tackled those with Rosalina and my usual combo for her.

D

Deleted member

No seriously, skill does not dictate whether or not you win in Mirror Mode Grand Prix, it's luck. The rubber banding is obnoxious, and you never get decent items even after being hit by 3 items in a row and sent back to 9th or something.

Sometimes things went smoothly for me, other times I had to retry cups a ton of times. Granted, I handicapped myself since I was forcing myself to play as the Koopalings to get their character stamps and I had to keep trying out new set-ups. Luckily I had all the character stamps when I still had 3 cups left, so I tackled those with Rosalina and my usual combo for her.
Amen to that. I feel like I'm being shoehorned into the combo of Rosalina/Waluigi + Sports Bike + Slick wheels because it seems impossible for me to catch up or even stay ahead of the AI otherwise.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
I feel like the AI keeps their bananas and green shells until you're right behind them. I see them hold on to them until I'm right behind them and then use them. Is this legit, or is it just me?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Amen to that. I feel like I'm being shoehorned into the combo of Rosalina/Waluigi + Sports Bike + Slick wheels because it seems impossible for me to catch up or even stay ahead of the AI otherwise.
Staying ahead isn't the problem for me, it's just that no matter how far I am ahead, the AI either just...ends up near me without rhyme or reason, or I get screwed over by getting stupid coins all of the time and getting bombarded with items to the same degree that was universally common in MKWii, and being completely defenseless.

Then there was one time, in Cloudtop Cruise, where on the last lap, I got hit by Lightning, fell off the cannon rather than being launched from it due to the spin out animation, and instead of Lakitu dragging me back up to the cannon to get launched from it, he drags me back a tiny bit - and THEN DRAGS ME ACROSS TO WHERE THE CANNON WAS GOING TO LAUNCH ME. And he is way slower than actually being launched from the cannon, so I literally spent 6-7 seconds being towed by Lakitu, and that cost me the 1st place.

And I must have had to do the Flower Cup AT LEAST 10 times in Mirror Mode, Shy Guy Falls seems to hate me. While I love that course for it's spectacle and atmosphere, I've come to realise that as an actual race course, it's actually really annoying, as there are not a lot of good opportunities to get ahead of people since most of the major corner cuts require a Mushroom, and you spend quite a bit of time being at the mercy of a waterfall and a glider section. And all of the bits in between are really brief, meaning you can't get much done. So you either do well early on and hope Lady Luck is on your side (in the sense that you get things to defend yourself with and don't suffer from Lightning or Blue Shells), or mess up early and hope Lady Luck is on your side (in the sense that you hope you get a good item to get back in the game).

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Staying ahead isn't the problem for me, it's just that no matter how far I am ahead, the AI either just...ends up near me without rhyme or reason, or I get screwed over by getting stupid coins all of the time and getting bombarded with items to the same degree that was universally common in MKWii, and being completely defenseless.

Then there was one time, in Cloudtop Cruise, where on the last lap, I got hit by Lightning, fell off the cannon rather than being launched from it due to the spin out animation, and instead of Lakitu dragging me back up to the cannon to get launched from it, he drags me back a tiny bit - and THEN DRAGS ME ACROSS TO WHERE THE CANNON WAS GOING TO LAUNCH ME. And he is way slower than actually being launched from the cannon, so I literally spent 6-7 seconds being towed by Lakitu, and that cost me the 1st place.

And I must have had to do the Flower Cup AT LEAST 10 times in Mirror Mode, Shy Guy Falls seems to hate me. While I love that course for it's spectacle and atmosphere, I've come to realise that as an actual race course, it's actually really annoying, as there are not a lot of good opportunities to get ahead of people since most of the major corner cuts require a Mushroom, and you spend quite a bit of time being at the mercy of a waterfall and a glider section. And all of the bits in between are really brief, meaning you can't get much done. So you either do well early on and hope Lady Luck is on your side (in the sense that you get things to defend yourself with and don't suffer from Lightning or Blue Shells), or mess up early and hope Lady Luck is on your side (in the sense that you hope you get a good item to get back in the game).
I tried mirror mode early today and literally never got anything but coins.

D

Deleted member

The problem IS the bombardment of items, along with the fact that the AI seems to be magnetically attracted to you. I've never gotten coins in 1st place online with the frequency I seem to be getting them in Mirror, leaving me utterly defenseless against any sort of red shells or the surprise green. And the AI, my god the AI. I just finished the Special Mirror cup, and it seems that no matter what I did Luigi was always RIGHT behind me. A lot of it does indeed come down to luck in the end (and hoping that you're not hit by lightning or a blue shell over a pit).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've managed to 3-star every GP, but I'm still missing certain vehicle parts, and I still need to defeat all the staff ghosts in Time Trials. And of course, I need to win a GP cup with the remaining characters that I haven't used yet.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I haven't played since Double Dash but this game is so hype I had to buy it! I main Bowser because I never used heavy weights in the previous ones I've played.

@ ChikoLad ChikoLad : I have some of the same problems as well. Mirror mode I tend to avoid since it can destroy my memory of stages normally. Since I'm trying to 3 star it though, I'm playing through it for now.

However, I don't feel any rubberbanding like in Double Dash. The main problem for me is once I get hit by a single item, 10 more hit me then I get knocked around making it impossible to catch up. I can't tell you how many times I got 1st place in the first 3 tracks then get royally ****** in the *** on the last course resulting in me punching something really hard, breaking my hand, then starting over, minus actually breaking my hand.

I agree, Shy Guy falls forced me to restart at least 5 or 6 times.

Getting to first isn't a problem in the beginning. If you can maintain 1st place for at least 2 laps, your safe even if you get hit by a blue shell. But if you're hit in the beginning prepare for a red shell, a triple green shell drive by, another green shell, a bomb, and then get knocked into the water by a guy who used a mushroom. Playing as a heavy weight, getting hit is super punishable.

At that point, getting out of the middle group of racers is pretty much impossible since the chaos all happens their. This is true for CPU and human players. Being in first is actually the safest position to be in despite blue shells and 2nd place constantly being on the assault.

Btw, what even is the Blue Shells purpose? If you get it at 6th place it's not helping 6th place? It's helping 2nd and maybe 3rd place! It won't change who 6th place is trying to pass, all you're doing is helping someone else take first. This is especially true if you get it and it's impossible to even catch up. However, I don't want the Blue Shell gone. Just change it's function. New idea, it should seek out ALL players in front of you. It kind of does this now, but only if you're in its way. This proves more useful for the player then what it does now.

Anyway, a lot of bad from this post. But I still give this game a 10/10. I'll post up my friend code later. I hope to play you guys soon!

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I feel like the AI keeps their bananas and green shells until you're right behind them. I see them hold on to them until I'm right behind them and then use them. Is this legit, or is it just me?
I've noticed that on the last GP race I had. This is probably random (from what I saw) and they only hold on the item for a while until they begin using them.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

Wut. All I did was front run Mirror mode, just like every other cc. Nobody was ever even close to me. Just have good lines and rush to 10 coins (the coin item is a godsend for this, you can get 10 coins like, instantly in some stages if you get it) then grab a defensive item and boom, easy wins. The rubberbanding wasnt even noticeable if there even was any. The only time I ever didnt have an easy win was if I had a bad start or didnt break away immediately like I normally did. Only had to redo a cup once, and it was in 150cc cuz I got Blue > Red > Red > Green sniped at the end of a race and got 4th on Electrodrome lol.

R0Y

Smash Master

I got through it! Only one problem, to unlock the Gold Standard/Gold Kart, you have to get at least 1 star in every cup in every difficulty :p. So there's a tiny bit left to do.

Honestly the staff ghosts were trickier for me.

I guess I should get the last 15 stamps.

D

Deleted member

I need to redo the last Mirror GP because I didn't get a single star on it.
Somebody kill me.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So does anyone know what happens if I power off while spectating? Like will only I be disconnected and everyone else will be fine? I ask cause if I try to join a friends game but no one leaves the game won't let me stop spectating and won't let me leave the room.

I ask cause I remember there was a way to freeze other peoples games in Brawl by powering off a Wii a certain way and I don't want to accidentally end anyones games.

D

Deleted member

Finally unlocked the Gold Standard, I'll try and 3 star everything later.
It's a bit disappointing that it has the exact same stats as the Mach 8/Sports Coupe/Circuit Special, but it'll make for a good replacement when I want to run Shy Guy + Sports Coupe + Cyber Slick.

Last edited by a moderator:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
MKTV reallllly hates me. I got an amazing lucky moment with my first lightning bolt but MKTV refuses to show it in a clear way. Hopefully I can record it later with my phone but this is still annoying.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So does anyone know what happens if I power off while spectating? Like will only I be disconnected and everyone else will be fine? I ask cause if I try to join a friends game but no one leaves the game won't let me stop spectating and won't let me leave the room.

I ask cause I remember there was a way to freeze other peoples games in Brawl by powering off a Wii a certain way and I don't want to accidentally end anyones games.
Nope it doesnt affect anyone but you in this game. With the way the online for MK8 is set up theres no way a DC will affect other players like that.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Nope it doesnt affect anyone but you in this game. With the way the online for MK8 is set up theres no way a DC will affect other players like that.
Oh good. Now I can stop being forced to watch races I can't play in. Thanks :)

Nitric Acid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Typpihappo
3DS FC
3308-5683-8969
This GIF gives me such a big grin.
Luigi is such a douche. :090:

I've settled on Roy + Mach 8 + Slick tires + Peach Parasol for now. At around 2000 coins now, 3-starred everything except for Mirror Special Cup -- on my way to do that right now. Then I'll hop online with the rest of you!
I've noticed that on the last GP race I had. This is probably random (from what I saw) and they only hold on the item for a while until they begin using them.
The AI is constantly doing it for me. They wait till you're right behind them before letting it rip. However, they tend to use the Super Horn instantly, even when they're far away. Some really mixed AI behavior.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wut. All I did was front run Mirror mode, just like every other cc. Nobody was ever even close to me. Just have good lines and rush to 10 coins (the coin item is a godsend for this, you can get 10 coins like, instantly in some stages if you get it) then grab a defensive item and boom, easy wins. The rubberbanding wasnt even noticeable if there even was any. The only time I ever didnt have an easy win was if I had a bad start or didnt break away immediately like I normally did. Only had to redo a cup once, and it was in 150cc cuz I got Blue > Red > Red > Green sniped at the end of a race and got 4th on Electrodrome lol.
I front run too, but the AI does get really terrible. One time, while playing with my Rosalina set up and going around a bend, a CPU baby character in the Biddybuggy came out of absolutely nowhere and passed me by going along the OUTSIDE of a corner, while I perfectly get through the inside. Then they just accelerate to obnoxious speed levels without even using a mushroom on the following straight. They then basically just kept getting farther and farther away for the whole race until they won. I also had 10 coins at the time.

I know for a fact that a baby character in the Biddybuggy can't go that fast on a straight without using a mushroom, as I tested it, and I've also passed by online racers in that set up just fine on a straight. My set-up has a high top speed, so there is no way a baby in a Biddybuggy would be able to keep away from me on a straight without using a mushroom, yet the CPU is able to in 150cc Mirror. That's obnoxious rubber banding if ever I saw it. And yes, I'm sure they didn't have a mushroom or anything, I even checked the GamePad screen at the time just to make sure.

And I rarely got defensive items, I always got coins. Which still annoys me, since it's easy to get 10 coins without them, making the coin item obnoxiously annoying. I don't mind it as much in online play, but in 150cc Mirror, the CPU always gets great items, and they also have perfect sniping with Green Shells, on top of that rubber banding, so that coin item is really and utterly useless in 150cc Mirror. It's not a legitimately challenging mode, it's all down to luck. And I had terrible luck on half of the cups in 150cc Mirror.

Regardless, I managed to three star them in the end (which is the only reason I restarted them - if I was just going for one star I would have had no problems, as I wouldn't need 1st place in every race). Never going back to it though.

------

This is the best thing to come out of MK8:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828919

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Some sales figures have come in, and thanks to Mario Kart 8, Wii U sales went up in the UK a whole... 666%! Did Nintendo make a deal with the devil? :p

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This rubber-banding in Mirror Mode is absolutely atrocious... I'm giving it a rest for now. You cannot see Stars online any more anyway it seems, so they're pretty de-valued. I'll go back to it later though, as I need some of the characters' Stamps anyway. Online seems to be full to the brim with Mach 8 / Circuit Special users for the most part, and oddly, the Sports Bike is also very common.

Top Bottom