• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

R0Y

Smash Master
Uploaded a replay to test the in-game uploader. The combo I use here is one of my favourites:
Rosalina, sports bike, slick tire, bowser hanglider for me. Dat combo.... I've come in 1st 2/5 or 6 races. My bad on first 3, was still getting used to this :p

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I've been playing with my friends all day and we had a blast (most of the time) We skipped to 50cc and went straight to 100 and 150 and unlocked all the characters. Right now I'm using Bowser in the Sports Coupe, Crimson Slim and Plane Glider. I'm thinking I need to add some acceleration since getting hit in this game just ruins lives.

I was surprised when I went to look at 50cc and it just had all the trophies we got for 100cc, so I guess I never have to bother with 50cc.

Also is there a smashboards community for this yet?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I've switched from using GCN to Wii U Pro now. I actually really like this controller, feels good.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I've been using the Pipe Frame with standard tires or the Sport Bike with slim tires. It's fun winning with the Pipe Frame.

Last night, I got to race with the head honcho of GameXplain. He's so freakin' good!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Mario Wiki says stuff about rivals. Anyone know what that's all about?

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
So my sister and I were playing... and we happened to capture this awesome moment.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think I've found two good combinations (stat wise; I haven't tested them).

Roy/Rosalina/Waluigi/Donkey Kong - Circuit Special - Cushion Tires - Bowser Kite

Bowser/Morton/Wario - Sport Bike - Cushion Tires - Bowser Kite

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario Wiki says stuff about rivals. Anyone know what that's all about?
In Mario Kart 7, whenever you do GP races and battles, two characters will ALWAYS appear as opponents for your character. For example, Yoshi and Shy Guy will always appear whenever you use Koopa Troopa. Similarly, Honey Queen and Peach always appear whenever Rosalina is used.

Although hard to say, it seems that each character has his/her own rivals for Mario Kart 8 as well, though it does seem less consistent at times.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
In Mario Kart 7, whenever you do GP races and battles, two characters will ALWAYS appear as opponents for your character. For example, Yoshi and Shy Guy will always appear whenever you use Koopa Troopa. Similarly, Honey Queen and Peach always appear whenever Rosalina is used.

Although hard to say, it seems that each character has his/her own rivals for Mario Kart 8 as well, though it does seem less consistent at times.
Okay, then. That's kinda weird.

I find it funny how Luigi's is one of Bowser's rivals, but Bowser isn't Luigi's rival.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Fun fact: Vanilla Lake had different music in the beta version of Super Mario Kart.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently, there isn't a set rival order at all, as despite what the Mario Kart 8 article on the Super Mario Wiki stated, Lakitu was never present when I used Rosalina.

I'm beginning to think that the rivals actually change per GP session, as I've noticed that the rivals changed completely with each GP session that I did with Shy Guy.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
OMG MY GOD I JUST MADE THE MOST CLUTCH FORWARD BANANA THROW IN MARIO KART HISTORY HOLY **** I'M FLIPPING OUT LOLOLOL

Oh. My. God... It's even more incredible on replay. o.0 I NEED to share this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I keep getting communication errors if people don't choose a course before the timer is up, is this happening to anyone else?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
150cc.
I need 1st place or else I have to re-do the entire cup.
Last lap on N64 Rainbow Road.
Metal Mario is about to glide over the finish line...

BUT SHY GUY AIN'T HAVIN NONE OF THAT

From now on I shall be known as The Sniper.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
150cc.
I need 1st place or else I have to re-do the entire cup.
Last lap on N64 Rainbow Road.
Metal Mario is about to glide over the finish line...

BUT SHY GUY AIN'T HAVIN NONE OF THAT

From now on I shall be known as The Sniper.

I SAID GODDAMN!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Been absolutely loving using Morton / Standard Bike / Cyber Slick / Bowser Kite after @ Gatlin Gatlin convinced me to try out bikes, oh my god that combo is godlike. Also, just Roy / Mach 8 / Slick / Bowser Kite is super good as well, one of the best combos ive been able to come up with.

D

Deleted member

Finally made it to 1900.
My hands hurt.
And as of recent I've been rolling with the sports bike, cyber slick wheels, and the good ol' parafoil with Iggy. It's pretty reliable, good speed, average everything else. Except for traction.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
My best combo by far would have to be Waluigi with the Flame Rider, Roller Wheels, and Bowser Kite.

Above average at everything and only slightly below average Traction. Outside drift so it handles like a kart.

Definitely will be my go-to online combo.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Does anyone know how many coins you have to collect to unlock everything (besides the Gold Glider)?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Anyone using characters that lean towards a lighter weight, I have found a great combo:

Mach 8 + Cyber Slick + Cloud Glider.

Gives lighter characters a very solid top speed, good acceleration, excellent handling, and nice grip. Might be one of the best combos for light characters. I might play as Baby Rosalina at times with this combo.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm just getting started on the game (only played the first 3 Grand Prix), but I'm enjoying it so far. Turning feels a bit different in this game, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Otherwise, the only real negative comments I have are coins are annoying to constantly get in first as items, and not having a map unless you're using the gamepad was a terrible design choice. My Wii U currently refuses to connect to the internet, so it will be a bit before I get really into the game though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Anyone using characters that lean towards a lighter weight, I have found a great combo:

Mach 8 + Cyber Slick + Cloud Glider.

Gives lighter characters a very solid top speed, good acceleration, excellent handling, and nice grip. Might be one of the best combos for light characters. I might play as Baby Rosalina at times with this combo.
This (and its variants) are basically the staple pick for anything below Cruiser weight, and imo its still one of the best combos for Cruiser/Metal as well.

D

Deleted member

I've reached 2200 in online and unlocked almost everything. At the cost of really, really sore hands.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I've been playing around trying to find combos for Cruisers. I'm really enjoying the Circuit Special + Slick / Cyber Slick + Cloud (for some reason the Cloud looks cool on the lightweights) for my lightweights / Mediums though, as you guys mentioned, it's fast, and handles like a charm.

Did anyone else notice how having 3 Stars in the GP doesn't show up online? I still have some GPs to finish before I can see for myself, but it's being discussed a lot on the MK forums. I wonder if they plan to fix this, as it kind of de-values having the stars really. Not that it means anything seeing as VR is the base rank, but it's a small detail.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I pretty much played all day yesterday... And about 4-5 hours online with some friends.

I haven't had so much fun playing a multiplayer game since I got into my local Melee scene. This game is fantastic.

Make sure you guys add my Nintendo Network ID! eddie316

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm all done with GP mode, and got the Gold Kart body. Gonna do Time Trials later. I already did two, and the staff ghosts are really easy, so I'll be done with that in no time. After that, I'll try and get online more.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I accidentally got Wind Waker instead of Pikmin 3 for my free game, so if anyone has their free game, can we possibly trade codes, cause I really wanted Pikmin 3. Thanks.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Hey do we have a Tournament set up for the Smash Boards community? If not I will set it up and we can all race each other without looking up NNIDs.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Hey do we have a Tournament set up for the Smash Boards community? If not I will set it up and we can all race each other without looking up NNIDs.
Tried setting one up today, hopefully I chose the correct options for it lol.

Top Bottom