• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but it seems that playing Mario Kart 8 for too many consecutive hours may lead to a carsick feeling that leaves you lacking a big appetite. My parents suggested that I stay away from the game for a while, just to see if the game truly is the reason for this kind of dilemma.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but it seems that playing Mario Kart 8 for too many consecutive hours may lead to a carsick feeling that leaves you lacking a big appetite. My parents suggested that I stay away from the game for a while, just to see if the game truly is the reason for this kind of dilemma.
If you suffer from motion sickness, I can easily see this happening, especially with the game's anti-gravity sections. Even worse if you are watching highlights, as the FOV goes all over the place to create cool shots and make things look like they are moving faster than they actually are.

If you have a known history with motion sickness, then yes, I would recommend moderating how long you play this game, as it could make your tummy feel sick, or even make you throw up a little if you are really sensitive to motion sickness.

I don't suffer this myself (I can play any game for hours on end and feel fine), but I know my dad suffers from motion sickness and cannot look at fast moving and detailed video games for very long.

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
So apparently MK8 has already sold over a million copies over this weekend alone:

2nd June 2014 – On 30th May, Mario Kart 8 for Wii U launched simultaneously around the world to global acclaim, garnering some of the strongest review scores in the history of the series. Following this, Nintendo has today reported that the game sold more than 1.2 million* total units across Japan, Europe and The Americas from Thursday, 29th May to Sunday, 1st June.**

"Such positive early feedback for Mario Kart 8 reinforces the great gameplay experiences that Wii U currently offers," said Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata. "With Nintendo set to showcase its future releases at E3 next week, this is a great milestone going into the summer season."

Prior to Mario Kart 8, the seven titles that have launched previously in the series have combined to sell more than 100 million total units, an average of more than 14 million units per title. This includes two of the best-selling video games of all time: Mario Kart Wii for Wii and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems. The full list includes:

*Based on Nintendo’s internal sales figures.

**Mario Kart 8 launched on Thursday, 29th May in Japan and Friday, 30th May across Europe and The Americas.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829369

pretty cool

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I saw that, here's to hoping it sells even more in the future and reels in more Wii U players!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
probably the chants to Satan found if you reverse grumble volcano's soundtrack causing this. mk8 has summoned like 2 demons and a persistent hail of brimstone over my town but **** it I wanna play mk8

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's been reports of some sort of game breaking bug. No one seems to know what triggers it.

www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=229600
MK8 bricking systems? Oh lawdy lawd.

Is this just happening to US Wii U's? If so, I may continue playing, since my Wii U is European. Otherwise, time to focus on other things.

I did a bit of reading around, and apparently it has something to do with your Wii U losing it's internet connection while writing data online, and not being capable of reverting the data. In MK8's case, this would be Ghost Data or records, I suppose. I have had this happen many times, but it hasn't bricked my Wii U.

D

Deleted member

The point distribution in this game confuses me. I just finished a race on RR where I was in first for practically the entire race, but 2nd place got 20 points while I only got 10.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
According to a lad further down the page, resetting your router will fix this, and hard resetting the Wii U = bad news. He seems to believe it's related to the internet connection falling out during the loading portions of a race, and cannot revert itself afterwards.

Not willing to try it out myself though, so I guess I'll stay off until we get something from Nintendo.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master

Is this just happening to US Wii U's? If so, I may continue playing, since my Wii U is European. Otherwise, time to focus on other things.

I did a bit of reading around, and apparently it has something to do with your Wii U losing it's internet connection while writing data online, and not being capable of reverting the data. In MK8's case, this would be Ghost Data or records, I suppose. I have had this happen many times, but it hasn't bricked my Wii U.
Had zero freezes, physical, NA copy.

Thanks for the heads-up though. Somewhat weary...

Also are you getting disconnect errors a lot while in rooms? I think it might be something on the Nintendo Network's back-end.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
The point distribution in this game confuses me. I just finished a race on RR where I was in first for practically the entire race, but 2nd place got 20 points while I only got 10.
It's VR-specific. People with higher VR will be rewarded less whilst playing with people with lower VR ratings.

R0Y

Smash Master
It's VR-specific. People with higher VR will be rewarded less whilst playing with people with lower VR ratings.
Also depends on how many users are in the race I think. 3rd place with only 3 players will be murdered regardless of their VR in comparison to 1 and 2.

D

Deleted member

That would explain it. I think everyone in the race was around the 1500 range, while I'm closing in on 2500. And in that regard, will people with higher VR rankings lose more points if they place low in comparison to lower VR players?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
That would explain it. I think everyone in the race was around the 1500 range, while I'm closing in on 2500. And in that regard, will people with higher VR rankings lose more points if they place low in comparison to lower VR players?
Yeah, I'm sure that once people start getting higher up closer to you, the values will be as per usual.

Then again, that's not a promise, given a week before the shut-down of Mario Kart Wii's online, there were still people with 4500 VR somehow. I saw a guy online yesterday with 574 VR as well, lol.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

If that's true, then maybe it's best to avoid doing any online races right now, though I'm still concerned about if this issue can potentially happen offline as well.

Edit: I looked at the article again, and it appears that the issue really does involve internet connection problems when racing online. Also, a user pointed out that you should restart your router if you ever run into this kind of problem.

Edit 2: I stand corrected. Someone reported getting this bug after completing a Time Trial run against a staff ghost, which is offline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VG2JpZEJ2M

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, I hope Nintendo patches this soon, and I hope everyone effected gets a free repair/replacement with all of their data in tact, or their money back.

As for me, I suppose this is as good an excuse as any to start playing through NSMBU (haven't played it much because MK8 has me hooked), which I got with the MK8 promotion, as well as get back to trying to figure out a way to make the edits I want to make for my Sonic Lost World playthrough.

Not like I have much reason to play it right now, apart from messing around with custom video recordings (I'll post those when they are ready - I have three uploaded and published, but I want them to be processed to their maximum quality first). The Wii U has terrible Wi-Fi range, so now that I'm back from my Dad's house, I can't play online without moving my Wii U to the living room, and my mother doesn't like be occupying there, even with just the GamePad. I'm gonna buy a Wii LAN Adapter though and an Ethernet Adapter, so I can resolve this. Wouldn't have to spend extra money if Nintendo just gave the Wii U better Wi-Fi range. >.>

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Hey, does anyone know if traction affects your speed during turns? I think having a high traction stat causes you to lose less speed while turning. I thought initially it just determined how much you would slide, but careful driving should negate that sort of drawback.

D

Deleted member

Hey, does anyone know if traction affects your speed during turns? I think having a high traction stat causes you to lose less speed while turning. I thought initially it just determined how much you would slide, but careful driving should negate that sort of drawback.
I believe traction is only for offroading.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Pretty sure Traction is only exclusive to how well your vehicle handles off road especially on courses like Dolphin Shoals, Dry Dry Desert, and Bone Dry Dunes.

R0Y

Smash Master
Well, I hope Nintendo patches this soon, and I hope everyone effected gets a free repair/replacement with all of their data in tact, or their money back.

As for me, I suppose this is as good an excuse as any to start playing through NSMBU (haven't played it much because MK8 has me hooked), which I got with the MK8 promotion,

The Wii U has terrible Wi-Fi range, so now that I'm back from my Dad's house, I can't play online without moving my Wii U to the living room, and my mother doesn't like be occupying there, even with just the GamePad. I'm gonna buy a Wii LAN Adapter though and an Ethernet Adapter, so I can resolve this. Wouldn't have to spend extra money if Nintendo just gave the Wii U better Wi-Fi range. >.>
Me too, already had Pikmin 3 and WWHD on disc....and yeah, don't want to brick my Wii U. The free game promotion is really coming in handy now.

If you're talking about disconnects in the lobby, it's a known problem as well.

I believe traction is only for offroading.
I'm pretty sure it's not. My vehicle combo has only 1.25 bars of traction and I'd skid like crazy on the race track itself if I didn't have inside drift and some skill.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I wait for MK8 to not be a ticking time bomb, let's enjoy Mario Kart 8 memes:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Traction is how well you take bumps and road inconsistencies as well as terrain I believe. I notice that similar to Dolphin Shoals and Dry Dry Desert, lower Traction vehicles also struggle on turns such as those found on Wii U Rainbow Road, the turn in the sand once entering Dry Bowser's mouth on Bone Dry Dunes (terrain based), and even the sideways one on Electrodrome.

I'll be playing NSMBU until this racket is cleared I guess. It's kind of too bad, as MK8 was meant to be Nintendo's big jump to kick-start a better future for the Wii U; the last thing they need is this.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess this is an opportunity to take advantage of the digital promotion. I'll probably go with The Wind Waker HD, since I've played the original GameCube version before.

D

Deleted member

Mount Wario is one of the best tracks in Mario Kart 8. Sunshine Airport is also freakin awesome
Mount Wario is the best track in any Mario Kart game ever.
I also really like Sunshine Airport, and Electrodome and Shy Guy Falls are great as well.
But my absolute favorite has to go to Toad's Harbor. I just like it way too much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of actual competition, racing fun and how tense they can get, Mario Kart Stadium, Rainbow Road (both versions) and Mount Wario are ones I really like.

In terms of atmosphere and music and stuff, Mario Kart Stadium, Moo Moo Meadows, Electrodome, and Cloudtop Cruise are my favourites.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Finally got the Gold Kart and all the character stamps. I had to collude with my brother in the 150cc cause the AI was being obnoxious.

On the subject of favorites, I think my favorite stages would have to be Sweet Sweet Mountain, Sunshine Airport and Electrodrome. My favorite music would be Toad Harbor, Sunshine Airport and Rainbow Road, and my favorite Koopaling is Roy.

D

Deleted member

Now that we've had some time, what do you guys think of the item balance in the game? I think it could use some tweaks myself (I'm pretty damn tired of getting single mushrooms in 7th place, and it just feels wrong getting triple red shells and crazy 8s in 2nd place) but otherwise I think it's probably the best it's been in any MK game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Now that we've had some time, what do you guys think of the item balance in the game? I think it could use some tweaks myself (I'm pretty damn tired of getting single mushrooms in 7th place, and it just feels wrong getting triple red shells and crazy 8s in 2nd place) but otherwise I think it's probably the best it's been in any MK game.
Better than MKWii for certain, but I think I remember MKDS having it better than MK8. Although the rate of Blue Shells was a little bit higher in DS, I recall everything else working better, and it doesn't have that annoying coin item either (which I wouldn't mind in MK8 if it wasn't SO freaking common. Not only does it screw me over at times in first place, it just removes a lot of the fun from getting item boxes, since I know I'm so likely to get a coin). Granted, it's been a long time since I've touched other Mario Kart games besides Double Dash, but I remember MKDS having better item balancing all around, and I never really found myself terribly frustrated with even the AI and it's rubber banding. Literally my only problem with MKDS's item balance was that Blue Shells were just too devastating, they literally threw you flying into the air, but making a recovery from Blue Shells was still more of a possibility in that game, since item balancing was done better in general and you would almost always get something useful if you did get knocked back a few places or lagged quite far behind.

If you took MKDS's all-around item balancing (not exactly, maybe tweak it a bit to accommodate the extra players, but something similar), MK8's weaker and rarer Blue Shells, reduce the frequency of the coin item, and left all of the new items as they are, then that would be perfect for the standard item balance. Frantic Mode can be as wild as it wants, though. And to be quite honest, Frantic Mode hardly feels any different than Normal Mode in this game, the only difference I've noticed is that Blue Shells and Super Horns are a bit more common, but everything else seems pretty much identical to Normal Mode.

The item balancing is literally the only thing I dislike about this game from a mechanics standpoint (oh, and Ghost mechanic in Battle Mode), and I was saying the same before the game came out. Otherwise, this game is my favourite Mario Kart game (mechanics wise) alongside the Arcade GP series. It does still have other small issues that need to be patched before I can say I like it as much as Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Crash Team Racing, or LittleBigPlanet Karting, and I hope we do get some new tracks and actual arenas for Battle Mode as DLC.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So, I turned on my Wii U this morning to find some kind of reasonably large update. I wonder if it's related to the glitch in MK8. I haven't seen any responses or reports from the victims regarding fixes, but yeah. I still won't play until we know for sure.

Top Bottom