• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is a bigger rip-off than that game that ripped off of Mario Galaxy and put a dino as the main character.

I mean, what the hell. Change characters, items, backgrounds, and boom. They think it's a new game.

The nerve of some game companies... :V
Sonic Colors also utilized elements from Super Mario Galaxy; the black hole; the wisps, stopping the black hole.

Originality can be hard to do nowadays, but it's also possible that the game developers are being lazy as well.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Sonic Colors also utilized elements from Super Mario Galaxy; the black hole; the wisps, stopping the black hole.

Originality can be hard to do nowadays, but it's also possible that the game developers are being lazy as well.
When Colors was first announced, people thought it was going to be a Mario Galaxy rip-off.

It wasn't, however.

Sure, Wisps could be like Lumas, but the gameplay wasn't the same.

UberMario

Smash Master

That's not the same as taking the actual course designs, though. Heck, they probably just downloaded the HUD maps for Moo Moo Meadows, GBA Bowser Castle 3, etc. right off some sprite-ripping site.

This is a bigger rip-off than that game that ripped off of Mario Galaxy and put a dino as the main character.
It was worse than that, they stole the sounds from Klonoa to use for the dinosaur and all of the music is from Jeopardy and Studio Ghibli movies.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
It was worse than that, they stole the sounds from Klonoa to use for the dinosaur and all of the music is from Jeopardy and Studio Ghibli movies.
Oh yea.
I forgot that pirated game had the Jeopardy thinking theme in it.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
What's the drifting mechanic like in mk7? Is it still like mkds or did they mess it up like they did in wii? And mkdd needs more hype. It was by far the best game in the series in my opinion, although admittedly I have given up on getting into the top 100 as its just too much work.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What's the drifting mechanic like in mk7? Is it still like mkds or did they mess it up like they did in wii? And mkdd needs more hype. It was by far the best game in the series in my opinion, although admittedly I have given up on getting into the top 100 as its just too much work.
Mario Kart 7's drifting is literally identical to Mario Kart Wii's. Personally, I think that's a positive thing, since the mini-turbo boosts in Mario Kart DS can be a pain to execute at times.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart 7's drifting is literally identical to Mario Kart Wii's. Personally, I think that's a positive thing, since the mini-turbo boosts in Mario Kart DS can be a pain to execute at times.
oh well i guess im not as excited as i was about playing that game then. i thought the drifting mechanic in wii was really boring, but i have to agree that the mkds drifting was really punishing for your thumbs, especially trying to time trial on f8c lol. I think that on that course getting a faster time was not really about your skill so much as the strength you have in your thumbs... took me forever to sub 1.16:urg:. i think that like me, most people are probably just physically incapable of prbing with bls anyway.

ps sorry for the acronyms ill just have to assume you have some general mkds knowledge.

UberMario

Smash Master
oh well i guess im not as excited as i was about playing that game then. i thought the drifting mechanic in wii was really boring, but i have to agree that the mkds drifting was really punishing for your thumbs
Well, the good news is that the tracks are a lot more complicated than in Mario Kart Wii. Other than a few retro tracks (i.e. Luigi Raceway) and Toad Circuit, most of the tracks are twisty enough that powersliding will still be enjoyable even without being able to manually charge it faster. Mario Kart Wii's powersliding system would have been far more appealing if the Wii tracks weren't the most linear in the whole series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
oh well i guess im not as excited as i was about playing that game then. i thought the drifting mechanic in wii was really boring, but i have to agree that the mkds drifting was really punishing for your thumbs, especially trying to time trial on f8c lol. I think that on that course getting a faster time was not really about your skill so much as the strength you have in your thumbs... took me forever to sub 1.16:urg:. i think that like me, most people are probably just physically incapable of prbing with bls anyway.

ps sorry for the acronyms ill just have to assume you have some general mkds knowledge.
I've only been able to beat three Staff Ghosts in Mario Kart DS. They were at Cheep Cheep Beach, Tick-Tock Clock, and GBA Sky Garden.

Cheep Cheep Beach: Luigi + Streamliner
Tick-Tock Clock: Mario + B Dasher
GBA Sky Garden: Mario + B Dasher

I'm pretty much disturbed that even though you get three mushrooms with the high items karts, the Staff Ghosts who use the low items karts are still beating you badly.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I never liked DS too much. Especially online. It was snake or lose, and that is just bs when an exploit takes over a game as casual as MK. DS was worst in series because of this in my opinion.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
MKDS had an item stat which was just so horrible lol. Then again, about everything about that game was bad imo :p MKDD was the best imo, only complaint I have is the drifting. They drift a bit too much on the outside :p I love the concept of having 2 characters on a kart and the special items. Chain Chomp was so funny XD

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I would have to say that MK7 was the best. I like at how the items feel reasonable, and they come along at reasonable times and places. (If you're in 1st, you'll have a really high chance of getting a Green Shell or Banana or if you stay in 1st too long, a Blue Shell will pop up by someone in a lower placing.)

Not only that, but skill is actually a huge factor in placing well in a race.

Plus the kart customization is really fun to mess with, and the different combinations can suit different play styles for different characters.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I never liked DS too much. Especially online. It was snake or lose, and that is just bs when an exploit takes over a game as casual as MK. DS was worst in series because of this in my opinion.
I thought Mario Kart DS was pretty good.
Snaking just broke the system.
I'll be honest. I snaked. Online and offline.

I think it was the best choice to change the drifting system in Mario Kart Wii. Manual FTW. I never understood automatic.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
I've only been able to beat three Staff Ghosts in Mario Kart DS. They were at Cheep Cheep Beach, Tick-Tock Clock, and GBA Sky Garden.

Cheep Cheep Beach: Luigi + Streamliner
Tick-Tock Clock: Mario + B Dasher
GBA Sky Garden: Mario + B Dasher

I'm pretty much disturbed that even though you get three mushrooms with the high items karts, the Staff Ghosts who use the low items karts are still beating you badly.
lol I beat all the staff ghosts by at least 5 seconds but I wont judge you kart noobs because I time trial way too much in both DS and DD. here's my sort of updated times in my sig if anyone cares.

mkdd: http://www.mariokart64.com/mkdd/profile.php?pid=1479

mkds: http://www.mariokart64.com/mkds/profile.php?pid=1128

I think that snaking is what makes the Mk game fun and is why I kind of dislike mkwii and like mkdd and mkds because most of the game is learning how to snake optimally. but that's just my opinion, and anyway snaking doesn't even seem as broken as blue shell dodging anyway. lol

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Noobs? Watch what you say.

And snaking was never intended, which is why they nerfed it greatly or made it stupid hard to perform in Wii and 7. In Wii, it was too weak to even bother with, and 7 doesn't give you many opportunities to do so. It required too much track space in 7, something that is not a luxury.

Plus snaking just ruined DS, as it was snake or lose, which made online play inaccessible to new players or players who are quite casual. The Mario Kart series is known for making a fun yet competitive environment for everyone, and snaking in DS went against this ideal.
You might as well consider snaking to be dead in the MK series from now on.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
sorry to offend your lack of noobiness but that comment was aimed towards the noobs who can't beat staff ghosts rather than you and your mad pro homeskillet-bacon-eggs-sausage-and-spam karting skills.

and what about snaking in mkdd? just as important imo as in DS. I think DS was more broken by those *******s that prb online...

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I didn't play much of MKDD and my friends never used snaking either, so there was no point to using it there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
MKDS had an item stat which was just so horrible lol. Then again, about everything about that game was bad imo :p MKDD was the best imo, only complaint I have is the drifting. They drift a bit too much on the outside :p I love the concept of having 2 characters on a kart and the special items. Chain Chomp was so funny XD
At least in Double Dash!!, ramming into walls doesn't heavily affect your speed, so you can still hold your drift, even if you ram into walls a lot.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Which is why DD is not a favorite of mine. Unrealistic physics leads to exploits which lead to ruining a good game.

Also, nice name change NiO.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I can snake in double dash, but sometimes I'll fall off when I attempt to do it or just hit a wall and slow me down XD

Honestly there are no courses I hate in that game; I love most of them and I like some of them. 2 characters was a fun concept and I loved special items too. I'd usually go Baby Luigi+Koopa(at least for 150cc and Mirror) and for 50cc and 100cc I'd go Yoshi+Bowser Jr. Or I'd go with Diddy in place of Koopa/Bowser jr. (once on Sherbet Land, I got 9 GIANT BANANAS IN A ROW XD) I also love how some courses can change depending what cc you're playing.

MKDS was very bad to me. I loved it as a kid, but now I just find it bad. Snaking would just kill my fingers and the courses were pretty boring imo. Too bad Baby Park and Yoshi Circuit were retro courses in that game, won't be seeing them in others :/ Baby Park would've been SO HECTIC in MKWii XD Really, the only course I liked in that game was Delfino Square and Airship Fortress. The item stat was a big WTF, getting better/worse items depending on your kart...

I've yet to try MK7 since I don't have a 3DS yet :p maybe I'll get one for my birthday XD

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regarding the drifting talk, SMK, MK64, and MKSC pretty much had the worst of it. You literally have to slow down with the sharp turns in SMK and MKSC (you can't drift at all in those games), and the drifting in MK64 is very hard to use correctly.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
The logic behind not updating the game is perhaps even more bizarre than acknowledging the glitch and refusing to fix it. "Doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game,"
Don't quite understand this bit. What kind of unfair advantage would be created by removing the glitch? Assuming I'm reading it right; but I guess it's like they said, "bizarre".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Removing the glitch won't make any difference if you already own the game. Simply put, your only choices are "play fair", or "cheat your way to victory".

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yeah, I guess I see what they mean then. It'd at least be cool if they could release a patch for the game, but not sure how likely that would be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regardless of what happens, I won't stoop so low as to use the Maka Wuhu glitch to win. That's just not how I operate in Mario Kart.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
This is the first time I've heard and seen that glitch.
Reminds me of Royal Raceway's shortcut glitch.

Thino

Smash Master
I don't understand the big deal about Nintendo's usual lack of action regarding glitching.

They've never patched any glitches in their Mario Kart game.

I suppose that just like MKW, reputation will take care of who uses it and who doesnt

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The good news is that I see less and less people choosing Maka Wuhu. Bad news is that whenever it pops up, almost everyone uses the glitch, and the people who don't time out, since the guy who crossed first crossed it 30 seconds ago.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is the first time I've heard and seen that glitch.
Reminds me of Royal Raceway's shortcut glitch.
It's too bad that Mario Kart 64's idea for saving ghosts was never kept. In that game, if Lakitu picks you up, you can't save your ghost. If you can't save your ghost for actions like that, then the Maka Wuhu glitch would be useless for Time Trial purposes.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
yeah thats actually a really good idea, because then the world records would not be screwed over like in mkwii, where like half the places were super glitched. mushroom gorge, grumble volcano, mario circuit, bowsers castle gba, coconut mall, warios gold mine, bowsers castle, just to name a few. at least most people didnt do these glitches online though.

Thino

Smash Master
You probably mean if these games had official leaderboards, because the Players Page usually have SC and Non-SC charts

Thino

Smash Master
i know mkwii has official ingame leaderboards where you can watch the wr ghosts, and doesnt mk7 also?
AFAIK MK7 doesnt have those, this is why Michael Fried uploads on "wrvids" youtube channel once again, unlike MKW

someone correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have the game yet

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The kinds of shortcuts that I'd pretty much use are often the off-road shortcuts.

Anyway, regarding Mario Kart 7 Time Trials, I'd probably guess that the Egg 1 and B Dasher are the best kart bodies to utilize; the former for underwater; the latter for land. Of course, I've seen some Bruisers, Zucchinis, and some occasional Blue Sevens and Bolt Buggys as well.

Regarding the wheels, I've seen Wood, Monster, Slick, Gold Tires, and Red Monster.

I might be forgetting some other parts, but that's what I've seen from a fair amount of Time Trial videos.

For one Time Trial video example...

Shy Guy Bazaar - 2:05:158 - Metal Mario + B Dasher + Monster + Super Glider

Thino

Smash Master
Most of the current WRs seem to be done with Metal Mario+ B Dasher+Slick+Super Glider

with a few changes here and there

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Most of the current WRs seem to be done with Metal Mario+ B Dasher+Slick+Super Glider

with a few changes here and there
The B Dasher + Slick combo does offer the best speed, while keeping handling at a manageable level. Of course, pretty much any heavy character can get the best speed with that combo. The main downside is the abysmal off-road, but Z'zgashi had stated that off-road is rather useless for most tracks.

The Shy Guy Bazaar video that I displayed may not be the fastest one, but it's still an impressive one, if I do say so myself. Of course, someone did get 2:04:656 with the Metal Mario + Bruiser + Red Monster + Beast Glider combo.

yani

Smash Lord
It's too bad that Mario Kart 64's idea for saving ghosts was never kept. In that game, if Lakitu picks you up, you can't save your ghost. If you can't save your ghost for actions like that, then the Maka Wuhu glitch would be useless for Time Trial purposes.
That would've been perfect for MK7

:phone:

UberMario

Smash Master
Regarding the drifting talk, SMK, MK64, and MKSC pretty much had the worst of it. You literally have to slow down with the sharp turns in SMK and MKSC (you can't drift at all in those games), and the drifting in MK64 is very hard to use correctly.
I beg to disagree. MK64's drifting was pretty easy for me to get used to and even snake with, while SMK and MKSC just required getting used to the VERY different physics. Due to the way that jumping worked in SMK, it was actually better to "bunny hop drift" around the turns than it was to hold a powerslide down, while MKSC requires you to chain powerslides together. Unlike with other Mario Karts, Mario Kart: Super Circuit's miniturbo system is designed for you to weave back and forth. Weaving the controls back and forth rapidly (so that you literally look like you're moving in a straightline while powersliding), taking one long drift in one direction or sliding for a left turn, right turn and back (or vice versa) all give out mini-turbos. Once you get used to the lack of grip in the game, you can drift around every turn.

Top Bottom