• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

BSP

Smash Legend
If any of you play P:M, do you miss Fludd at all in it? On the flip side, how much do you actually use the Mario tornado?

Speaking of dead, I wish the top 5 thread didn't get closed. That was one of my goals back in the day, to make it up there.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I don't really miss mario's fludd at all in project m. Mario's tornado is awesome for combo follow-ups and recovery.

:pow:

BSP

Smash Legend
Alright. I guess with improved movement options and no auto sweet spot, Mario can make it to opponents in time to just gimp/cape them outright without needing Fludd range or stalling. A working Mario Tornado can only help.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Removing FLUDD was a rash decision by the PM developers IMO. The only purpose it served was making Mario near ungimpable and making him more like Melee.

It would have been cool for them to implement changing FLUDD nozzles in a similar fashion to Samus's Smashes. But more importantly -- MERRY CHRISTMAS MARIO BOARDS.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Happy holidays, mario boards.

@javon: I think bsp's question is referring to project melee, not vbrawl.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I've find the fludd pretty good for defensive purposes and edge guarding situations.

A strong defense turns into a good offensive.

Happy new years, mario bros.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Indeed. Smashboards is pretty nice these days. Except this old thread. :(
Well, gotta find a way to lively it up! IU've seen some other low tier boards a bit more active after one player does something cool with the character. Somebody just has to earn some Mario fame.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Hello everyone, I recently signed up to Smash Boards and main Mario in all Super Smash Bros. games. I hope I can help make our board very active before the arrival of SSB4 and share my strategies regarding Mario. I enjoy using him far more than any character in any roster list, so 99% of the time has been invested in developing his gameplay effectively.

Recently I uploaded a video on YouTube highlighting a few of his more useful techniques (against a CPU, explanation follows). I plan on uploading Mario's match-ups and strategies he could use against certain characters, but need someone with Dolphin running Netplay to demonstrate Mario's abilities. If any player wants to help me out with this task, I would appreciate your effort and kindness.

Anyways, the video is below. Watch it in 1080p to enjoy the most out of YouTube's quality. If you use Mario as much as I do, I hope you enjoy it all the way to the climax at the end ;) See if you can notice the techniques I used against the opponent that produced the three-stock. Note that I use the keyboard to play (tilt attacks involve pre-pressing the key before initiating), so some moves look out of place.

By the way, if anyone wants their replays uploaded in 1080p, I got serious hardware to support the encoding. Post below or even add me on Skype (listed on my Profile), and we can have some Mario community videos to display on our board, to show how great Mario's techniques are. Hopefully everyone knows about saving name tags in replays, otherwise please feel free to provide the players involved and I will add that into the video description once the community video has been planned and compiled.

Last edited:

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the boards singe. and I love the quality man. well this boards is dead so don't post here. Although I have made a mario skype group you can join. We do a lot there. I can tell you really want to bring mario back, but brawl is just dead, ssb4 is definitely opne. But trust me it isn't gonna happen (I tried XD). Anyways yea I'll add you and there is a mario ccv in progress right now being made by me, not a montage, an actual community combo video. if you are interested you may join, but I'll decide what clips will get in. We are all good players so don't think we're n00bs, we have experience ;). Anyways yea the videos aren't gonna happen, cause there just isn't enough people interested. Just wait till ssb4, Mario will be back. also if your talking techniques, your not gonna find anything new, the metagame is still the same as it is today so yea XD.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Welcome to the boards singe. and I love the quality man. well this boards is dead so don't post here. Although I have made a mario skype group you can join. We do a lot there. I can tell you really want to bring mario back, but brawl is just dead, ssb4 is definitely opne. But trust me it isn't gonna happen (I tried XD). Anyways yea I'll add you and there is a mario ccv in progress right now being made by me, not a montage, an actual community combo video. if you are interested you may join, but I'll decide what clips will get in. We are all good players so don't think we're n00bs, we have experience ;). Anyways yea the videos aren't gonna happen, cause there just isn't enough people interested. Just wait till ssb4, Mario will be back. also if your talking techniques, your not gonna find anything new, the metagame is still the same as it is today so yea XD.
Thank you for the invite, however I am still planning on recovering the prosperity lost within our board. I would be interested in joining the community combo video. I have a few extra techniques that can benefit Mario greatly depending on the timing placed for each technique. I already have a few ideas that could help our board develop before SSB4 arrives. We can use Netplay and have a daily group for practice sessions.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Hello Singe, welcome to our community! I'm XeroXen, and I seem to be one of the only guys who browses this forum super actively anymore.

I don't exactly play Brawl anymore, however I'd like to give you a bit of advice on your video. For starters, I don't believe that showing off techniques against computers is really... helpful for anybody attempting to learn a specific matchup. Generally, an analysis of high level players who play/main the specific characters would be much more beneficial, because computer opponents lack the in-depth matchup knowledge and decision making process to play at a high level.

With that being said, the fact that you can record Brawl at 1080p is marvelous. It almost makes me want to enter a Brawl tournament sometime soon and save all my replays so you could upload them. I'm actually incredibly knowledgeable of Mario and many of his matchups regardless of the fact that I don't play the game anymore.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Hello Singe, welcome to our community! I'm XeroXen, and I seem to be one of the only guys who browses this forum super actively anymore.

I don't exactly play Brawl anymore, however I'd like to give you a bit of advice on your video. For starters, I don't believe that showing off techniques against computers is really... helpful for anybody attempting to learn a specific matchup. Generally, an analysis of high level players who play/main the specific characters would be much more beneficial, because computer opponents lack the in-depth matchup knowledge and decision making process to play at a high level.

With that being said, the fact that you can record Brawl at 1080p is marvelous. It almost makes me want to enter a Brawl tournament sometime soon and save all my replays so you could upload them. I'm actually incredibly knowledgeable of Mario and many of his matchups regardless of the fact that I don't play the game anymore.
Thank you for responding to my post and for welcoming me. I am aware that bashing CPUs do not really do much other than to provide entertainment and to promote Mario's strengths and capitalizing on them. The reason why it is in 1080p is because it is emulated on Dolphin. My Wii broke down and I have to use it as my alternative for playing against players, and the only players I can play with locally are CPUs within Dolphin. I want to help our Mario board by suggesting that Netplay can be used to further develop our gameplay. It would allow us to interact with other members more and perhaps have our board active again.

Perhaps you can share us some of your knowledge and match-ups. I am planning on doing a detailed matchup analysis of every character and what Mario's options are in each scenario in order for him to successfully defeat the opponent.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I disagree in one respect, and that is that the current state of Dolphin netplay is, so far, not going to be competitive enough to further Mario's game. It's not that netplay generally isn't a valuable resource, but the Wii's netplay options are laggy and unreliable while Dolphin's netplay options, if they're improved (I haven't looked into it), likely doesn't have a plethora of players, especially high-level ones.

The game's been out since 2008, and it's not like people haven't played Mario during that time, this character has had a variety of very talented tournament-level players who were/are well versed with him. The only way to "improve Mario's game" is to consistently go to tournaments, and become big enough threat to consistently make high placings and play against the best players. The problem with that scenario is that if you're trying to play to compete with the best you'll eventually realize that maining a low tier character isn't going to get you the consistent high placings you as a player want and may deserve.

The solution? Unfortunately, Mario isn't very good. However, I believe he's got very solid matchups against a few choice top tiers. (Olimar, Diddy, ect.), and can compete with said top tiers very well. However, he struggles against Metaknight and even mid-level D3s. The only way a Mario player can ever have the hopes of competing at a top level is if Mario becomes a niche counterpick for the characters he can compete with. Otherwise you're simply fighting an uphill battle that can't be overcome at even regional level play.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I disagree in one respect, and that is that the current state of Dolphin netplay is, so far, not going to be competitive enough to further Mario's game. It's not that netplay generally isn't a valuable resource, but the Wii's netplay options are laggy and unreliable while Dolphin's netplay options, if they're improved (I haven't looked into it), likely doesn't have a plethora of players, especially high-level ones.

The game's been out since 2008, and it's not like people haven't played Mario during that time, this character has had a variety of very talented tournament-level players who were/are well versed with him. The only way to "improve Mario's game" is to consistently go to tournaments, and become big enough threat to consistently make high placings and play against the best players. The problem with that scenario is that if you're trying to play to compete with the best you'll eventually realize that maining a low tier character isn't going to get you the consistent high placings you as a player want and may deserve.

The solution? Unfortunately, Mario isn't very good. However, I believe he's got very solid matchups against a few choice top tiers. (Olimar, Diddy, ect.), and can compete with said top tiers very well. However, he struggles against Metaknight and even mid-level D3s. The only way a Mario player can ever have the hopes of competing at a top level is if Mario becomes a niche counterpick for the characters he can compete with. Otherwise you're simply fighting an uphill battle that can't be overcome at even regional level play.
Netplay over Dolphin has indeed improved, to the point where there are communities based on Melee and Project M. There are no desync or latency issues anymore as long as everyone set-up correctly. The only issue involving Netplay is whether the players' connections are stable, in which many players (just check the thread below) have already fiulfilled the requirements. And yes, Netplay players do lack for Brawl just because these other two communities are preferred. I do however, want some active Brawl community online before SSB4 arrives later this year, which of course is an uphill battle like Mario's matchups. The only limited factor is dedication, and our community can do it if they want Mario to succeed in being more recognized in tournaments.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dolphin-online-melee-netplay.335432/

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree with that. Mario has limitations based on the standard that has been established by the competitive scene. I also believe another legitimate reason why Mario hasn't progressed in the tournament scene is because by the ratio of competitors to characters used, Mario has never held anything high in that regard. If you have a tournament of say 30 people and 25%-50% (or higher?) of those players use Meta Knight (this is not including the number of high tiers general, of which its safe to assume that percentage is very high because it always is) but for this example, we'll use MK. So if say 40% of the total players are MK, that means that MK has a 40% chance of winning and vise verse. That doesn't include MK's own capabilities in which greatly magnify his chances of winning (because MK is gay).

Lets be honest here, how many Marios would we generally see in a tourney? The only tourneys that really matter and have an effect on the adjustment of tiers are regionals and nationals (sorry, if this is incorrect, then just tell me). Mario doesn't hold a high percentage at all. In other words, his odds are minuscule. Mario may have like 1 to maybe 3 people using him (if that) out of whatever that number of total competitors is, 30-50, idk. The more people that are in that tourney, the lower his chances are. Now hypothetically, if 50%-70% were Mario, that's a different story. His chances are way higher (unless you have a good CONSISTENT MK, then lol). Its not solely that Mario sucks as a character but we should also consider that he has very low representation in the competitive scene and that can have an affect on his chances. The ratio is terrible.

This is merely another factor I've observed. Again, I'm not portraying myself as an expert. I haven't been to a tourney in like 4 years. I wish I could go to tourneys and represent Mario but the bottom line is that...its only a video game to me. I enjoy it a lot but its not a top priority to me anymore. Not trying to troll on you guys that are making it a priority, this is just me. But uhhh....yeah, Go Mario!!!

Oh by the way, Welcome to the Mario Boards Singe! I'm MP8, I'm just a commoner Mario, or a scrub in short. I wouldn't worry too much about building up a community for the new game. Because its going to be a completely new game, I bet the old players will come back to try it and also new people will hop on the Mario bandwagon. Remember that each game has its own communities. The Marios from Melee are a different group then the Marios of Brawl. And that will probably be the case for the new game. So I wouldn't put in too many high hopes for an established Brawl Mario community to automatically transfer over to the new one. If Mario is good in the new game, Brawl Mario will probably be obsolete.

Last edited:

steep

Smash Lord
MP8 you're correct but the reason that it doesn't happen that way is because one good MK (as you alluded to) would simply run over all the Mario mains. And in that case, most Mario mains don't keep playing him because a simple character switch would make his chance to win much higher. I'm mostly saying that for the benefit of helping Singe understand why that probably won't happen.

BTW, Hello Singe. Good to meet you. I'm steep, and I USED to be a very active Mario main from the MidWest. Xero and I were good buddies. And just in case you don't know, XeroXen is/was one of the very top Mario Mains. I don't think anyone will argue with me on that. I don't know where I stand in that list, but I would like to think that I was at least decent when I was active. I like to write guides, talk about match-ups, and critique videos of Mario players. Just keep that in mind!

Also, hello everyone. It's been a while.

T25XL

Smash Journeyman
Hey steep. Me and Singe have been having conversations on skype. He's going cold with me man. Saying that a brawl community will happen as long as there are people (which there really aren't). I also agree that it won't happen, not trying to get Singe's hopes down. But it's just hard to even bring mario back, and pretty much all of you have said it all.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Welcome back to you all, and I am glad that history has made our board the way it is now. However, I am improving immensely and will be attending as many tournaments as possible in order to promote our board and the benefits of using Mario. Even if the Brawl community will transfer to SSB4, there is a full year left before it will be released. I believe it can still be healthy before, during, and after the released, and will make as many attempts as I can in order to support it. There will be supporters of Mario regardless of whether or not he is better in the next iteration of Super Smash Bros.

By the way, the ratio of Mario players to everyone else does not dictate the odds of any Mario player winning or losing. I know that because when I am the only Mario player, I can have just as much success as if there happened to be Mario dittos all day (which is rare, but it happens during friendlies). Since people generally do not see Mario in tournaments, you have to mix up your game very well in order to progress further.

I can help promote our board as much as I can from my local community, but many people prefer to play Melee or Project M, so it will be difficult finding Mario mains in general for Brawl. However, I am sure that at least be reasonably active like a general forum would be. Seeing 4-5 posts everyday would be a great improvement to our board. SSB4 will also change everything around here as well, but I am not going to wait for that to happen while not many newcomers arrive here.

Top Bottom