• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

MP8

Smash Journeyman
No, that alone won't dictate the odds. Always it will come down to the individual prowess of the player as you've indicated. But the ratio can have an effect in the respect of Mario's existence in a higher spot. Having more representatives is always better and this is your guys' ambition, is it not? To grow the Mario scene in terms of its numbers? "finding Mario mains in general for Brawl" <---You want this, everyone wants this. If the quantity grows then that will introduce the increase for quality as well. There will be an increased flow of ideas and possibilities for the character. Its a team effort, as it should be with anything. Its not false that more Mario players will increase the odds, of course it can because percentages exist as they are. It alone just won't be the deciding factor but it can play its respective role.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I planned on getting a laptop that could run Melee on dolphin at 60 FPS. If I could also run Brawl I suppose I could try out Brawl netplay.

Personally, I don't really think a ratio of Mario players dictates where a particular Mario may or may not place. However, I do think that the ratios of every other character will help you determine where he'll place. If you have a high percentage of bad matchups in a tournament you can rest assured that you won't place top 10% without some crazy luck or unless they're all seriously bad. However, if you're in some kind of scene that's dominated by Olimars or another one of Mario's solid top/high tier matchups then as long as you're skilled enough, it's within the realm of possibility.

However, the tournament scene at the mid to high level is dominated by Meta Knight, Mario's worst matchup in my opinion. Mario literally can't function competitively on his own, a Mario player will have to be just as skilled with a much better character in order to stand a reasonable chance of winning anything. And at that point it's much simpler to just main the other character, unfortunately.

This brings me to a pretty similar point. It's hard to improve by playing the best players unless you're placing where the best players are. If you consistently want to play against the best players, you'll have to get to the top 10% of placings. That's why it's extremely difficult to improve at a high level with Mario. At a low level it's easy to improve, you probably wouldn't be placing much better with a better character anyway. At the mid level it's significantly harder than a low level, but you can still improve at a reasonable rate. At a high level? You're statistically not going to make it that far into tournaments, so the only hope is to have a practice partner who is a high to top level player. But that's not always reasonable and I'm not even convinced that would help a particular Mario place far enough to be relevant in bracket.

TL;DR Mario can't do very well even in a tournament even if piloted by a great player. He only really works as a dual-main or secondary in a competitive setting.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Welcome to the boards, Singe. I'm Coolwhip, nice to see another plumber around here. That 1080p video of yours looking mad legit!

:pow:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Mariooooooooo's

Would be an excellent name for a cereal.

Real talk though, I'm Karaoke Man but people geeeennerally know me better as "MX" the Yoshi Player (hai steep/xeroxen!) I play Mario some myself.

Nice to meet all of youuuuuuu

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
No hi to me mike? My feelings are now crush.
lol, just kidding bro. I'm not the least bit surprise that your
using mario now, mario has that effect on some people. lol

howzit going though?

Last edited:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
No hi to me mike? My feelings are now crush.
lol, just kidding bro. I'm not the least bit surprise that your
using mario now, mario has that effect on some people. lol

howzit going though?

shoooooot, my bad. I forgot we had the same name LOL
I've been good how've you been?

and Mario's a lot of fun I must say. There's a lot of potential behind this character with proper use of all his tools.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Hello Mario boards. I picked up project m and got 5th at my first tourney yesterday in doubles. I didn't sign up for singles since my pm experience is only like 2 weeks old so I don't really know match ups. Also I had plans later in the day..

I was on live stream so I believe my videos will be uploaded on YouTube. I'll get the link when posted.

PM is a lot of fun though. Mario's so OP ^^

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Mario is real good in PM. I don't like the way he feels though otherwise I'd be playing him. Keep it up though. PM is a fun game and it's (relatively) easy to learn when compared to something like Melee.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Mario actually felt odd to me.. But as soon as I switched to doc skin felt natural. Probably cause as a mario skin my mind goes to brawl mode.

A lot of my melee skills carried over but I have some rust. A few things did not transition well.. But oddly enough some brawl techs did such as cape stalling :D

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I'll dolphin netplay any mario in pm or melee regardless of lag :D

FYI if you guys are interested. I don't know if the matches will get uploaded but my matches are on twitch archives under super smash Sundays for iebattlegrounds. I teamed up with Nashun who is prob the best Mario here

Last edited:

MP8

Smash Journeyman
There's a huge tournament called CEO in Orlando this summer. I want to go and view it but unfortunately, its only for Project M and Melee. Aside from the fact that I have never played Project M, I don't have much confidence in my abilities in Melee, mainly due to the fact that my controller is 11 years old and it can't handle the high intensity play required of competitive Melee with all those wave dashes, etc. I might go to watch and maybe try to get some friendlies in. We'll see.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
There's a huge tournament called CEO in Orlando this summer. I want to go and view it but unfortunately, its only for Project M and Melee. Aside from the fact that I have never played Project M, I don't have much confidence in my abilities in Melee, mainly due to the fact that my controller is 11 years old and it can't handle the high intensity play required of competitive Melee with all those wave dashes, etc. I might go to watch and maybe try to get some friendlies in. We'll see.
Most smash tourneys are hosting only Melee & Project Melee nowadays. Brawl is slowly dying as we speak.
When smash 4 comes, brawl could finally r.i.p

Just play Melee/PM for awhile and you'll feel the difference. Wavedashing isn't that hard either.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah its not hard. Its just that my controller is really old and beat up, its 11 years old now. If this sounds like a john then too bad. That controller is older than most of the Sonic mains nowadays. XD.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
lol wow, GC controllers on being older than most sonic mains.

There are REAL GC controllers on play-asia.com. The white controller is by far the best one.

Last edited:

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I remember getting a white one off of ebay a few years ago only to realize it was a bootleg. Only lasted like a month.

My controller still works basically. It just has late response issues to when I implement a configuration. The R shield sometimes sticks and the analog stick is loose. I still love it though.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
When you said "GameCube controller from launch" That's the same controller when u first brought your GC system?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
If I were you I'd definitely go to CEO. Not only because it will be a great smash tournament but because it's also a great FGC event if you're into fighting games at all.

And buy a new controller. I'm not sure if you realize but you're using your controller as an excuse not to play Melee. Which is easily fixable.

Last edited:

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
When GameCube first released I still use that controller.

My matches can be found here:

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/509665125

Game 1(Round 3 in brackets) at 02:07:00ish... <-- Underestimated Ganon's :[
Game 2(Loser's Round 4) at 02:40:40 <-- Game 1 come back. Best Mario in west coast imo
Loser's Semi followed after that.

Of course a few of my games weren't on stream which I won. Did not enter singles this event.

Last edited:

MP8

Smash Journeyman
If I were you I'd definitely go to CEO. Not only because it will be a great smash tournament but because it's also a great FGC event if you're into fighting games at all.

And buy a new controller. I'm not sure if you realize but you're using your controller as an excuse not to play Melee. Which is easily fixable.
You don't think I've realized that solution already? I don't know about you but some of us have expenditures to cover and incomes that are hardly enough to cover them. I like playing smash bros. but a video game is not a good investment of finances to me. Let alone give away free money for entering a tourney I'm obviously not going to get far into. I'd rather keep that and use it towards something more beneficial like gas. And its not an excuse because my case is just and I openly acknowledge that I would still suck even with a good controller. Sorry pal. :/

Oh and I'm not too adept at fixing controllers. Don't have a lot of time to worry about that.

Last edited:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Sorry about that, it appears I had misjudged you as someone who enjoyed attending Brawl tournaments previously. But it's clear to me now that going to smash tournaments simply isn't a big hobby for you. In which case there's absolutely no reason for you to pick up a new controller, you're correct.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
No worries man. I didn't mean to make it look like I was determined to exalt my situation as something you should consider or care about, which of course I'd expect you wouldn't. In all honesty, making my point clear in a faceless setting is something I don't strive for, let alone care about. But anyways, I'll probably go to watch or to just play friendlies with people, have a good time, etc.

No matter how you word it, the convincing of people over the web about the absence of excuse is impossible. No emotion can be accurately conveyed through words. Haha. Its all good though. :)

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Double post.

LOL. Right when I mention controller problems, there pops up an ad on the main Smashboards menu for white GC controllers onsale. Must be a sign. :p

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
We did just talked about controllers yesterday at that. Lmao!
Smashboards has been spying the mario boards.

Top Bottom