• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Inferno3044

Smash Master
No offense to Xero but I think that Olimar was playing the MU poorly. Olimar should NEVER be gimped all 3 stocks. He's gotta get that Brood DI.

But anyways I still don't know why you think Mario outcamps Olimar. There is NOTHING that fireballs can do to Olimar to force an approach. Fireball camping does work on some characters like Snake but not Olimar. If you both camp, then Olimar will definitely rack up more damage. I know that I made pivot grab sound godly and that was my mistake. My point of that is that run away pivot grab is legit and you make it sound like it's not even viable. Running to make the attack whiff and pivot grab works. Not saying it can't be baited but if you can bait an Olimar that easily, he's not a good player. I will agree that if Mario can keep a lot of momentum then Olimar is screwed (that's just how Olimar works) but players should be able to break momentum unless they are getting entirely outplayed.

In other news:

Welcome new Mario player
Mario doesn't beat Olimar or lucario. It's 45:55 and 50:50 respectively
A good amount of the new stages suck
Hippie should learn to decode crap spelling
I moved in to college! I'm now in Richmond, VA and will attend a smash tourney when I can.
Gonna give MD/VA a new threat.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I've been waiting on free play but your not responding.

Edit: dumb chat reseted like 3 times, haha

Inferno3044

Smash Master
You obviously only watched the one game I posted. That was just an example of what happens when Mario gets momentum in the matchup.
True. Might have just been an off game for him.

Md/va marios ftw....
This

I think matchup discussions are mega-dumb. I know what's up when I go into a match. My matchup ratio: feck I hate this character.
I like getting information across. The ratio is not the most important thing.

A2 cannot seriously think mario beats olimar. lol
Fixed.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
This is how I think A2Z perceive stuff..

*Character does action.

Oh, Mario has ONE move where if he does it PERFECTLY, can beat that action, therefore Mario is better than that character, and I can prove this just by saying this, and not going to tournaments and proving it.

*Character decides to do another action instead.

Oh well, since you're doing THAT action, I shall do ANOTHER move, where it also has to be done perfectly, hence why Mario is better than said character.

Also, I can PROVE that Mario's better, other than me just saying it, because I'll name off people you've never heard of, or little tournaments between my friends, and I win!

And gaiz, did you know sliding up smash is broken?

<3

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
The Olimario match up is easy because FLUDD ***** all Pikmin, while fireballs **** the blue pikmin. And Since Olimar is canonly about 2 inches tall.... STOMP. Mario is good stomping stuff, hes been doing it his entire life.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
He's like a white version of Goomba

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kanzaki, you can stop being a **** and actually try the stuff that I KNOW works from actually using it.

And you also don't read in between lines when I say what Olimar's options are. He can't camp in this matchup. He approaches and pressures Mario.

Both you and Inferno should watch all three matches of Xero vs Hilt (particularly the 3rd match) and Hilt gets punished a lot more for trying to camp and run away from Mario. Mario's camping easily beats Olimar's due to Mario's tools to avoid it. If Mario happens to get the percent lead, it's also difficult for Olimar to get it back when Mario happens to outmaneuver Olimar and has the tools to deflect and avoid all attempts Olimar makes to toss Pikmin through D-air and Cape. Especially if the stage has platforms, Olimar has no business trying to outcamp Mario, who WILL get in if Olimar is on the defensive, or will get away if he merely needs to maintain the lead.

What Hilt should have done vs Xero was approach and space aerials and tilts, which is what ACTUALLY gives Olimar the advantage in this matchup. In all situations where Hilt was doing well, he had Xero on the defensive and wasn't running away camping. Olimar gets punished hard for trying to run away and camp in this matchup and he isn't able to bait Mario's approach with pivot grab very easily when fireballs will usually stop it.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I agree, your jsut fighting your own character. I think just because you when against your own character does not make you better at being able to beat other characters then the Mario you beat, its just possibly your Mario style beats that Mario's style.

If he really wanted to win he could have counter picked....

Not reffering to anyone Just stating my opinion and agreeing with Reducas

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
For some it doesn't mean anything, like Falco dittos....

but for Falcon dittos, it proves which of the two players are manlier

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Kanzaki, you can stop being a **** and actually try the stuff that I KNOW works from actually using it.

And you also don't read in between lines when I say what Olimar's options are. He can't camp in this matchup. He approaches and pressures Mario.

Both you and Inferno should watch all three matches of Xero vs Hilt (particularly the 3rd match) and Hilt gets punished a lot more for trying to camp and run away from Mario. Mario's camping easily beats Olimar's due to Mario's tools to avoid it. If Mario happens to get the percent lead, it's also difficult for Olimar to get it back when Mario happens to outmaneuver Olimar and has the tools to deflect and avoid all attempts Olimar makes to toss Pikmin through D-air and Cape. Especially if the stage has platforms, Olimar has no business trying to outcamp Mario, who WILL get in if Olimar is on the defensive, or will get away if he merely needs to maintain the lead.
You highly underestimate Olimar. It's not hard to get through fireball camping. He can easily shield them and have little problems with fireballs and pikmin throw is much faster than fireballs. Olimar will not have trouble getting back a percent lead because pikmin can normally deal some damage. He can also punish dair and cape. They aren't hard to punish, especially if it's not meant to hit Olimar (I'm begging you to counter this statement).

What Hilt should have done vs Xero was approach and space aerials and tilts, which is what ACTUALLY gives Olimar the advantage in this matchup. In all situations where Hilt was doing well, he had Xero on the defensive and wasn't running away camping. Olimar gets punished hard for trying to run away and camp in this matchup and he isn't able to bait Mario's approach with pivot grab very easily when fireballs will usually stop it.
I'm starting to wonder if you know what you're talking about. Olimar has one of the best if not the best grab game in the game. I wanna repeat the point that baiting an approach and then run away and pivot grab works on Mario as well as on the rest of the cast with but that doesn't get through to you. And fireballs in no way stop this.

Personally, I wanna stop this debate because you are one of those people who has an "I'm always right" mentality when it comes to this which I know is wrong. I admit when I am wrong when I believe I am but I've never seen you ever say you're wrong. For example, you think that G&W goes even or might beat Snake. I know that's wrong just with very general knowledge of both character.

I hate playing campy/defensive marios -_-. marios like famous/tc1/kirin/boss are fun to play though :)
I'm not defensive. I just use a lot of fireballs and bair for approaches and ****. It's my playstyle. Also with ditto talk dittos don't count for anything.

SKidd

Smash Master
famous has a roy alter ego?
whoa
kadaj a dorp

My Mario goes for cool things and tries to edgeguard a lot

I nair, bair and dair soooo much, and stutter step.

oh, and what is the thing called when you run to a ledge or just on the ground, turn around and jump, fireball on you're way up, return to the ground the way you came?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You highly underestimate Olimar. It's not hard to get through fireball camping. He can easily shield them and have little problems with fireballs and pikmin throw is much faster than fireballs. Olimar will not have trouble getting back a percent lead because pikmin can normally deal some damage. He can also punish dair and cape. They aren't hard to punish, especially if it's not meant to hit Olimar (I'm begging you to counter this statement).
What are Olimar's options against fullhop D-air? His U-air and Up-B certainly can beat it, but Mario outmaneuvers Olimar very easily, so in reality he has no business punishing Mario for playing keepaway on platformed stages, and his Up-B which I mentioned happens to be very obvious. (it's worth knowing U-air can be SDI punished) Cape technically is more punishable in this matchup, but if you're letting anyone consistently punish you for Caping, you're doing it horribly wrong. Pikmin throwing has telegraphed enough startup to counter on reaction. I have no trouble running away and maintaining a lead if I have one.

And lol if I underestimated Olimar's camping, it would be beating me, and you can go ask -Vocal- what happened to his Olimar when he tried to camp vs Mario. But Xero the ITG Penguin beat me, because I underestimated Olimar's offense, his ability to approach and limit Mario's options.

I'm starting to wonder if you know what you're talking about. Olimar has one of the best if not the best grab game in the game. I wanna repeat the point that baiting an approach and then run away and pivot grab works on Mario as well as on the rest of the cast with but that doesn't get through to you. And fireballs in no way stop this.
You fireball, and he grabs you, and the fireball hits him, and you break out. Olimar pivot grabbing is asking to get fireball camped. He can only pivot grab as a juggle trap. Watch Xero vs Hilt 3 and everything I mentioned happens like a million times. Hilt really only lands pivot grabs as a means of juggle trapping and virtually every time he tries to use it to stop Xero from approaching, it fails.

Nobody said Olimar's grab game wasn't good. It is in fact STUPIDLY good (pivot grab juggle traps are EXTREMELY good for Olimar), but if you're letting your approaches get baited all the time by pivot grabs, either it's a stupidly horrible matchup or you're doing it wrong. Mario is only slightly disadvantaged against Olimar, and it's really just because Olimar's OFFENSE is better with stronger aerials, a better throw trap game, and more powerful Smashes. Mario however beats down Olimar's defenses quite easily, and really has no business getting his approach baited by pivot grab. Sure if you're using Ganon or Falcon, get pivot grabbed all day, but Mario has a projectile, and like any flexible projectile user, you use it and your opponent has to stay honest with their defensive baits. Olimar by far is much more likely to dashgrab you in this matchup than pivot grab you. Pivot grabbing to stop approaches is actually really risky for him in this matchup not necessarily just because it gets punished by fireballs, but he loses ground when he does it. Losing ground against Mario when he approaches is very dangerous for him in this matchup due to how easily Mario option limits Olimar's defenses for high damage and a potential gimp.

Personally, I wanna stop this debate because you are one of those people who has an "I'm always right" mentality when it comes to this which I know is wrong. I admit when I am wrong when I believe I am but I've never seen you ever say you're wrong. For example, you think that G&W goes even or might beat Snake. I know that's wrong just with very general knowledge of both character.
You know that's a very ironic statement you are making. I'm perfectly capable of admitting when I'm wrong when I believe I am as well. I was definitely wrong when I assumed Mario went neutral with Falco and Pikachu (which I definitely made big posts about in the past). And I've probably said I was wrong about this on AIM first but basically it was about how Ness and Lucas actually have options unlike other low tiers. Furthermore I was wrong when I thought Ganon actually had a chance against Mario, when in reality it was just me having better knowledge of the matchup than other Mario users (I believe I beat Hippiedude in this matchup irl though).

And everything about Snake is old news. Stop running into tilts and grenades and you immediately neutralize half of what makes Snake so good, and he can be punished for overcommiting to grenades once you stop running into them. G&W due to a superior ability to CP definitely beats him on certain stages where he can either stall Snake with a lead easily or where his superior mobility plays a bigger role. Overall matchup is probably slight Snake's favor since Snake wins neutrals but he doesn't win on certain CP stages.

I don't agree with Pierce7d on the Olimar matchup oddly enough. He thinks it's in Mario's favor slightly.

Top Bottom