• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making an Advanced How-to-Sonic tutorial vid

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Have you seen Sonic underground?

And do you know where I could get the Sonic Archie comics (I really want to read some of those).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I used to get my Sonic comics at Comic Oasis (go figure.)

That, and the internet is your friend.

infomon

Smash Scientist
My oh my, did my thread get derailed as I was asleep. Scoot, ye vermin!!

P.S. Is anyone right now.
I am. Right now!
Not sure what your question was supposed to be, though :)

I like Puffball's idea of the three distinct segments to work on. Here's my interpretation of his categories, lemme know if I have the right idea:
  1. basic moveset; we briefly discuss when/where tilts should be used, HA and cancelling it and how it targets the opponents back and where it gets lag and that it restores your 2nd jump, whatever other neat stuff we find in ROOOY's thread basically
  2. SC/SD; although I cover a lot of that in my existing video, we'd go more advanced like applications, how they work off a spring, spinshots + airdeashing, maybe vids of the Perfect Combo or near-Perfect Combo, or the SD "pseudo-Perfect Combo" ?
  3. dashing mechanics/tech-chasing, grind etc.

What about recovery/edgeguarding strats? IMO it could be its own section; there's lots to talk about there. Also I dunno where to put Spring tricks, like leaving one near the spawn-point after you KO your opponent to waste their invincy frames (lol I dunno why ppl fall for this :laugh: sometimes they just can't help jumping on a bouncy spring!), but also stuff like rising ASC missile off spring, using SD's hop to get on a grounded spring, etc.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, we have to actually develop the usage for spring-cancelled moves first >_>

right now it's kinda just a "lol cool, sonic can do that" but without much solid application yet.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Infzy... you're name appears under the first post of this thread so that sorta puts you in charge. Also you just created a really nice AT thread for Sonic's spin moves to compliment Tenki's thread so you have demonstrated that you are more than capable of making tutorial videos.

I suggest you update your first post to either summerize or pool together the thoughts that have and will continue to be expressed. I like puffball's idea of seperating the work or at least focusing on specific areas of Sonic's game. I think that we should all work together though as this will help ensure that we don't miss anything important. Perhaps we get a video one or two quality vidoes out by the end of the year. I don't know whether that is too ambishish or not ambishish enough......

Tenki

Smash Hero
Infzy... youre name appears under the first post of this thread so that sorta puts you in charge. Also you just created a really nice AT video for Sonic's spin moves to compliment Tenki's thread so you have demonstrated that you are more than capable of making tutorial videos.

I suggest you update your first post to either summarize or pool together the thoughts that have and will continue to be expressed. I like puffball's idea of separating the work or at least focusing on specific areas of Sonic's game. I think that we should all work together though, as this will help ensure that we don't miss anything important. Perhaps we get a video one or two quality videos out by the end of the year. I don't know whether that is too ambitious or not ambitious enough......
fixed :dizzy:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
*looks at people discussing ideas*

Yay, I'm actually helping.

But you know Infzy, it doesn't have to just be 3 groups. There can be several people working on several things at once.

We can even have a media guy, or something. Someone who can record high quality stuff and make the video for the sections.

A Foolish Mortal said:
^^Have you seen Sonic underground?

And do you know where I could get the Sonic Archie comics (I really want to read some of those).
I own the full boxset. As well as SatAM's boxset, and AoStH boxset. I'm currently waiting for Sonic X to be (hopefully) boxset'd to at least have the seasons bundled. If not, I'll import the *** episodes, or burn them onto discs.

I always got my fix of Archie on random Comic Scan sites. I never stuck to the same website.

Of course, I stopped reading Archie, but continue to read the wiki's on current events in the series. lol, Metal Scourge ftw?

Infzy... you're name appears under the first post of this thread so that sorta puts you in charge.
Not necessarily.

Just as Napi's video is, this video is a community effort. *Looks at Napi*

Where is that video anyways?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Espy... espy... espy... all you have to do is ask, LoL, jk. Seriously though, we need organization. We have a steak ton of information that now we need to sort together. I can attempt to provide footage but I need to know what I should record or someone needs to send me replays so I can simply upload their footage.

I feel my best skills I can offer are organization here. I say infzy made a great video on sonic's spin specials and it's less productive to recreate something that demonstrates all of those. Instead perhaps we can make a video with game situations for each spin move/AT that demonstrates good AND bad times to use these moves.

Another direction we could go in is breaking down all of Sonic's basic attacks since we're always telling new sonic players to not get so hung up on the spin specials.

Hey we could even make a video to show how Sonic deals with meta knight strategies... hmmmm

infomon

Smash Scientist
dNES, thanks for your comments..... you're right we probably need at least a bit of leadership on this, so I rewrote the OP and gave it a possible storyboard... it's just a loose idea and can be totally scrapped, I haven't thought it through well enough to say if it's an approach I'm really satisfied with, and I'm probably neglecting some big topics that should be discussed. BUT at least that puts down some of the ideas so we can start to rearrange them.

right now it's kinda just a "lol cool, sonic can do that" but without much solid application yet.
Sigh, too true. Well, what topics should we cover?

There are two really big hard parts to this project:
1. debating how Sonic should actually be played; what strategies work vs. what doesn't... and I'm a pretty bad Sonic so I can't really judge!
2. finding video examples for what we talk about; preferably in real matches vs. real opponents, and the examples can be both good and bad; ex. tech-chases that work and that don't, recovery attempts that succeed or that fail.

Preferably vids or strats should be against mid or high tiers, to lend some legitimacy to our discussion, as well as to encourage Sonic's use as a seriously viable contender in Brawl.

If I'm doing much of the writing, I'll be borrowing heavily from the summaries from ROOOY's moveset thread. Just fyi. Definitely this project can't happen unless ppl take the time to write up bits and pieces of how to actually put Sonic's moves to good use.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I'm liking the first post Infzy, good ideas. I wouldn't worry about "how sonic should be played." Everyone has their own little uniqueness but we all can agree that if someone works... it should be discussed and promoted.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Instead of "how you should play Sonic", have the section as "How you should NOT play Sonic".

infomon

Smash Scientist
lololol, yeah >.>

It would be good to have examples of say, where HA fails, vs. where it can be used safely. So umm, if you see vids of Sonics, try and notice HA usage, and post a link to the vid here :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, that's a great starting point; those vids have some parts that are excellent (using jabs and tilts, some grab-chasing etc.), and some that are sadface (his unfortunate recovery decisions come to mind, lol).

I'll ask Ankoku if I can get the raw replay files for those matches.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lololol, yeah >.>

It would be good to have examples of say, where HA fails, vs. where it can be used safely. So umm, if you see vids of Sonics, try and notice HA usage, and post a link to the vid here :)

ohyeah, don't HA if the opponent is near the edge. :laugh:

possible bad things :

drag you below stage > stage spike/ normal spike (depends on character?)
drag you away from stage > knock off to the side (KO) or gimp (if you don't have double jump)

memphischains

Smash hhkj'

i gave you some application ideas
i use them all the time, not to say i actually do them but the set ups work. its getting down how people DI and other random factors (level, hazards, ect.)

darkNES386

Smash Lord
A couple things:

1) It's not hard to play matches even on wifi and pull out 5 second clips showing applications of moves.

Example: I cancel a spin dash because marth decides to jump at me and I end up grabing him. Whether or not that match was at a massive tournament is irrelevant.

2) I'm going to try and figure out how accurately I can determine frames and I have no problem doing a demonstration of ranges of attacks. Does anyone have any suggestions though for what I should set up.

Do I put Sonic up against some average size person like Mario? Do I make a custom stage that helps me measure everything or what? Any ideas for positioning to best determine hitboxes? How are lengths determined? Obviously ranking is easier, but like... what would be a value to give to range? Character lengths is too big.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
If anyone has saved replays of useful "advanced stuff" I will provide my temp. Wii number and Brawl number (yes puffball/tenki, it's dNES2 brawl name)... once I get back home tomorrow.

I'm going to try and push this project forward with an opening that shows just how fast Sonic is and some applications for it with respect to following up aerials/tilts and tech chasing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ sounds awesome.

I got from Ankoku the raw AVIs of Anther's recently-criticized matches, so I can use those with decent quality. I've also been writing down some nifty parts (good and bad) of recent vids I've seen, like Malcolm's and dnes' (against chompy).

darkNES386

Smash Lord
^^ sounds awesome.

I got from Ankoku the raw AVIs of Anther's recently-criticized matches, so I can use those with decent quality. I've also been writing down some nifty parts (good and bad) of recent vids I've seen, like Malcolm's and dnes' (against chompy).
Nice. I was thinking a cool opening would be showing in frames just how fast Sonic gets across Final Destination... do we like that idea?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Sounds awesome. You can gets frame-perfect slowed-down vids?
Well if you're interested in the process this is what I would do. It would probably take about a half hour give or take:

1) Record footage of Sonic running with my usb capture device with any file capture program
2) Take raw footage and open it in the virtual dub
3) Set the proper frame rate for Brawl
4) Generate image files, 1 per frame
5) With adobe programs I can upload each image and even overlap it with a number that counts up with each frame
6) Throw in some music (I have a good one I think) , hint: I was very cautious when selecting
7) Export it as a video file
8) Shrink it down...
9) Upload it to youtube for you to see <--- might take longer since I won't be on my college campus

I can say forget steps 6 through 9 and just make a sweet gif file that could even be a signature lol, if I shrunk each image down

Tenki

Smash Hero

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The sample is here once youtube is done with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bljZ8SL8EXk
So 55-57 Frames in one go? Amazing.

Oh, and music choice was great. Isn't that "Warning: Echidnas May Eat Your Brain", from Project Chaos, right? (AKA Knuckles theme in Sonic 3)

@ Tenki: The moment you see a Sonic recolor on a Youtube video, you stay the hell away.

First, you say "NO!", then you get OUTTA THERE!!!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Great work dnes.

I have a bit of time tonight to record some vids. I'm going to get proof of invincy frames in Sonic's Up-smash, and maybe some spacing examples of jabs/Dtilt vs. G&W's Dtilt.

Any other ideas of things I should capture? I can't do frame-perfect stuff, yet.

infomon

Smash Scientist
X580, this isn't really the right thread lol, unless you think your vids have interesting demonstrations of Sonic techs, like mindgame setups or good spacing for tilts or smthg....

But regardless, if you want replays uploaded to youtube I can do that, just give me your Wii number and send them to me through Brawl...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Whatever, just send 'em to me, I need examples of stuff working and also not working, so s'all good. But having replays sent to me is better than just finding youtube vids of techs, because I can get the quality better this way.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Whatever, just send 'em to me, I need examples of stuff working and also not working, so s'all good. But having replays sent to me is better than just finding youtube vids of techs, because I can get the quality better this way.
Good but it will be later in the day and here I think this is my wii number I'll PM you when I'am ready.

Top Bottom