• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junahu

Smash Ace
MEDLI was a fun read. I loved the way all her aerials work together to rack up damage/gimp opponents. And it was nice to see that the grappling hook does everything it did in Wind Waker.

However, I felt that her forward-air, "Glide" was a bit lazy. Why not just give her regular glide all these cool properties?
I'm also against any attack that can be used only once per stock (Down-Special)

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
@ Medli: Ah, yeah, you finished it! I loved all the items you implemented into it, as they were items that I would associate with Medli in-game. The Grappling Hook was an especially obvious item that I overlooked, so I give you props for that. You did a great job of making her feel really natural in Smash even though she doesn't do much. However...the Standard A seems a little awkward to be a Standard A, IMO. Perhaps you should try making it the Utilt, since your current Utilt is just a peck attack? Why not give the Jab a sweetspot? Ooh, that would be surprising to some opponents. :D

Her Final Smash also felt a bit...bland to me. Perhaps doing something like calling in Valoo would be more fun?

Baloo

Smash Ace
Perhaps doing something like calling in Valoo would be more fun?
*makes bad pun about Baloo and Valoo*

Anyways, Medii. It's a good moveset, I like the aerials, they're fun.

*claps for Kibble*

@Gwen: Fun set here. I like the cool effects of the moves.

I'm terrible at moveset commentary. >_>

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
I skimmed through the Medli moveset, and othe then being overpowered, Medli is an amasing entry. I love the aerials and the Side Special in specific. The character didn't leave much to work with, but you did fantasticly with what you did have. I hope to see more from you in the future, Wizzerd. Good luck in the contest.

On a more selfish topic, I don't think I'll be able to enter my Original Character Kira moveset. The moveset itself is finished, but I couldn't get/make a picture of Kira to use, so I can't actually enter it. I have no scanner and can't draw for jack anyways, and I don't have any programs with which to make a picture on the computer.

I couldn't even find a character who looks like Kira enough to really count, and I don't have the money to pay someone to make me a picture as a commision, and I don't have an friends or relatives capable of doing so either. I even searched for one of those dress up bases that could be used, but couldn't find one and don't have a screen capture program anyways. So really, I'm stuck with several days worth of work I can't use unless someone has something that I didn't think of. :(

EDIT: I don't suppose a lengthy paragraph on her appearance, height, waistline, cupsize, hair length, facial structure, attire, color, etc. could substitute for the picture, could it?

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
UserShadow: You could always just try asking nicely somewhere online. I'm sure there are some people, perhaps here on the art forum or on an art-dedicated website, that would be able to help you out, at least with a rough idea of what the character looks like. Or maybe you could just search someplace like deviantart for a workable picture, it doesn't have to be a picture of a particular character or anything like that, it could end up being something that someone just decided to draw one day for the fun of it. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

By the by, if you do find a good way to get a commission, let me know. I'll need an image for an OC that I'll be working on later, and I haven't found any particularly good images yet.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Medli strikes me as a very nice moveset for a fun character from a great game. The organization is a bit messy at times - the little ~s, I don't particularly like - but the ideas within are all more than solid. It's got one of those dang prop-based movesets I tend to dislike seeing, but all the same, another nice outing, Wiz - you're certainly one of the best newcomers. :bee:

Here's something for all of you to chew on; by this time - about a month in - MYM 4 had 400 pages. I'd already posted Kawasaki. Crazy, huh? Makes you wonder what's gonna end up winning this time.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
MEDLI was a fun read. I loved the way all her aerials work together to rack up damage/gimp opponents. And it was nice to see that the grappling hook does everything it did in Wind Waker.

However, I felt that her forward-air, "Glide" was a bit lazy. Why not just give her regular glide all these cool properties?
I'm also against any attack that can be used only once per stock (Down-Special)
Thanks for the thoughts! Now that I think about it, it would have been better just to give Medli's glide the special properties. With the Down B, I was trying to limit its use, but that could have been done more naturally with less of an effect.

@ Medli: Ah, yeah, you finished it! I loved all the items you implemented into it, as they were items that I would associate with Medli in-game. The Grappling Hook was an especially obvious item that I overlooked, so I give you props for that. You did a great job of making her feel really natural in Smash even though she doesn't do much. However...the Standard A seems a little awkward to be a Standard A, IMO. Perhaps you should try making it the Utilt, since your current Utilt is just a peck attack? Why not give the Jab a sweetspot? Ooh, that would be surprising to some opponents. :D

Her Final Smash also felt a bit...bland to me. Perhaps doing something like calling in Valoo would be more fun?
Bwaa, what's with the neutral A? :dizzy: I feel dumb. I guess I've had a problem with Final Smashes in my other movesets too. Thanks!

*makes bad pun about Baloo and Valoo*

Anyways, Medii. It's a good moveset, I like the aerials, they're fun.

*claps for Kibble*

@Gwen: Fun set here. I like the cool effects of the moves.

I'm terrible at moveset commentary. >_>
Thank you. I like you too. I like Medli. I like movesets. I want lolchillinz.

I skimmed through the Medli moveset, and othe then being overpowered, Medli is an amasing entry. I love the aerials and the Side Special in specific. The character didn't leave much to work with, but you did fantasticly with what you did have. I hope to see more from you in the future, Wizzerd. Good luck in the contest.
Yeah, she's a bit overpowered, I suppose. Something I'll work on in the future. You know, thinking about my past movesets and some of my plans, I might want to make movesets for characters with moveset potential...

Medli strikes me as a very nice moveset for a fun character from a great game. The organization is a bit messy at times - the little ~s, I don't particularly like - but the ideas within are all more than solid. It's got one of those dang prop-based movesets I tend to dislike seeing, but all the same, another nice outing, Wiz - you're certainly one of the best newcomers. :bee:

Here's something for all of you to chew on; by this time - about a month in - MYM 4 had 400 pages. I'd already posted Kawasaki. Crazy, huh? Makes you wonder what's gonna end up winning this time.
Yep, I could maybe work a bit on organization. Seriously, 400 pages? I felt like I had plenty of time before to make all of my movesets being only 70 pages in and MYM4 was about 800... I'm scared now.
Well, off to work on the Shadow Sirens.

Twilight-Emblem

Smash Apprentice
Pardon me for not reviewing the recent sets but life has kept me busy this past week and I haven't had much of a chance to keep up with the thread. I'm working on actually reading through them though! Also, I love that so many new faces are popping up with really good sets.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Wow, I had completely forgotten until Medli's move set that the crowd cheer was in this game.

. . . I haven't heard it in any games of Brawl even once!

Now as for the moveset proper... really inventive, I especially like the forward smash, but there's some parts I'm sure I don't understand.

For one, the jab. So -A- transforms Medli into Laruto. You have superarmor and a "Death Armor" effect.
... beyond that I can't make sense of it.

Also, downtilt. What? Can it work like that - have no knockback but still hitstun, I mean?

One thing I know there's trouble with is you saying it has bad priority. In being water, the attack already has "implied priority." While you can just say the move has bad 'intrinsic priority', implied priority is not up to you to simply stipulate. It follows from the relation of the hitbox to the user's hurtbox. Unless Medli's hurtbox includes the water, this attack will be "disjoint" in the common sense, and thus have the priority we associate with those moves.

My last note though is definitely much more important.
A heavy criticism I must lay is that I think you have overused projectile properties in the -A- attacks. Up to Melee, all -A- attacks were attached to the body (even if through a sword), except for when Melee Ness ' yo-yo was given its special charge properties. Still, Ness was always rooted in place while his yo-yo box was out.
For me, it always seemed that what made the special attacks the special attacks was that they didn't have these restrictions.

With Brawl, we saw this 'rule' truly broken for the first time with Snake. Arguably, it contributes to his high power level.

For this reason, your move set worries me.

I wish I could be fair with giving its good parts as many words as the good points there are, but this will always be a truth: Bad points stick out on good things. :\

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Also, downtilt. What? Can it work like that - have no knockback but still hitstun, I mean?
I'm pretty sure you'd say that Zamus' Paralyzer deals hitstun with no knockback.

My last note though is definitely much more important.
A heavy criticism I must lay is that I think you have overused projectile properties in the -A- attacks. Up to Melee, all -A- attacks were attached to the body (even if through a sword), except for when Melee Ness ' yo-yo was given its special charge properties. Still, Ness was always rooted in place while his yo-yo box was out.
For me, it always seemed that what made the special attacks the special attacks was that they didn't have these restrictions.

With Brawl, we saw this 'rule' truly broken for the first time with Snake. Arguably, it contributes to his high power level.

For this reason, your move set worries me.
You do know that's not altogether an uncommon thing in MYM, right? Not saying your point might not be valid, but a good number of MYM entries employ projectiles, often in large numbers, outside of the Specials, purely for the fact that they're usually more interesting. Again, not saying you might not have a good point; I just don't know that it's fair to point out one moveset among all these as having that flaw, if it is indeed a flaw.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Oh, PK-Ow... I'm so going to enjoy to rip apart your moveset piece by piece as soon as you post it.
- AN ANNOUNCEMENT -

We interrupt this contest to bring something we feel is a very important matter to your attention.

There are a few things that we suspect will help MYM to become a more friendly and active place. To begin with, members are heavily encouraged to try to get along with other members. This goes for everyone. Newcomers should be willing to listen to and hear out the advice of old-timers, and those of us who've been around a while need to make an effort to talk to the newcomers in a manner that isn't descending. The fact of the matter is, listening to advice will help you make better movesets and gain a good reputation, and lashing out at n00bs does NOT make you cool. A lot of us have been guilty of these on either end of the spectrum, so let's try to cut down on it.

Be respectful of others, and try to comment movesets in the thread.

Jell-O
PK-Ow's a newcomer (isn't he?) and he's just giving an honest commentary; we should respect his opinion and if any of us disagrees, we should address it in a non-hostile fashion. Don't make it personal, this contest is just for fun.

@PK-Ow: I see where you're coming from, but I don't really see it as a problem. This contest is for imaginary movesets and most of the things you see here won't ever be implemented into a game. I think it's fine to take a bit more creative liberties in that case; all we can do here is read and write things, so we might try to make it interesting that way. Besides, if in the next Smash Bros. game, projectile-ish standard moves became the norm, maybe it wouldn't seem so odd?

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
@PK-ow: I don't think anyone is going to change now, projectiles (correct me if I'm wrong) have occured outside the specials since MYM4, and hell, no one complained, heck, you could technically call Snakes up-smash a projectile, Adding projectiles outside the specials correctly done makes the moveset more CREATIVE (<------- The thing that's most important here). I guess you would dislike any set of mine (Chaos 0 has a N-air that has a projectile, Undead hero had projectiles in F-smash, AOSTH Robotnik had about 5/6 projectiles). Sorry if I sound harsh... but it's isn't going to change.

PS: Tatl = closed, New world = new social group story from mai, Sundance plays God.

Junahu

Smash Ace
For one, the jab. So -A- transforms Medli into Laruto. You have superarmor and a "Death Armor" effect.
... beyond that I can't make sense of it.
My understanding is that the jab is a charge-up attack, one that can't be used until you completely charge it up (i.e. you press A and begin charging. 1 second later the move is charged and you can move around again, ready to unleash the attack)

One thing I know there's trouble with is you saying it has bad priority. In being water, the attack already has "implied priority." While you can just say the move has bad 'intrinsic priority', implied priority is not up to you to simply stipulate. It follows from the relation of the hitbox to the user's hurtbox. Unless Medli's hurtbox includes the water, this attack will be "disjoint" in the common sense, and thus have the priority we associate with those moves.
I presume this means the water has bad priority compared to other disjointed attacks (i.e. not clanking with swords and whatnot)

I'm obviously just parroting other people when I say this, but MYM is not the kind of contest that wants to remain stifled by the arbitrary limits set by Super Smash Brothers. If someone wants a projectile for a foreward-tilt, we have no right to complain.
(of course, if someone were to create a character that didn't have tilts or smashes or anything... *glum*)

I wish I could be fair with giving its good parts as many words as the good points there are, but this will always be a truth: Bad points stick out on good things. :\
I agree with this statement. The better something is, the easier it is to see the flaws, and the greater those flaws appear to be.

I even searched for one of those dress up bases that could be used, but couldn't find one and don't have a screen capture program anyways.
Yes you do. It's called the Prt Sc key. It's on your keyboard and when pressed it takes a screen capture and sends it to the clipboard (from there you just open Paint and press Ctrl+V)

I don't like to see any original character canceled just because of a lack of a picture. If you send me details of your character, I will try to create an reasonable picture for it.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@flyinfilipino:
Despite the fact he is an actual newcomer, PK-ow has posted several times. What he did was critisizing and spitting on practically everything that is Make Your Move - may it be character choices, originality in moves or similar things.
I'm eagerly awaiting this moveset he's making, considering his always very wordy critique, just to see if it is perfect. Because if it isn't, his attacks against pretty much the base of MYM will not come in handy for him.

As I said to him already: If it isn't perfect, I will rip it apart piece by piece, just to give him his own medicine.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
@flyinfilipino:
Despite the fact he is an actual newcomer, PK-ow has posted several times. What he did was critisizing and spitting on practically everything that is Make Your Move - may it be character choices, originality in moves or similar things.
I'm eagerly awaiting this moveset he's making, considering his always very wordy critique, just to see if it is perfect. Because if it isn't, his attacks against pretty much the base of MYM will not come in handy for him.

As I said to him already: If it isn't perfect, I will rip it apart piece by piece, just to give him his own medicine.
For the record, I agree with everything you have said about PK-ow in this post and previous posts. The posts he has made are nothing less than a (futile) attack on Make Your Move's foundation. If a contest stifled to the limits of Sakurai's boring imagination is his desire, then he needs to go back in time to Make Your Move 2 or earlier.

If what we, as the participants in this contest, submit is wrong, then show us perfection, oh great one.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I don't get it, guys.

Look, I obviously completely misunderstood this entire setup.

I thought people would like feedback. I mean, I would have been expecting feedback on anything I posted. So I just posted what I thought others wanted to see. Being, information about the outcome of one's creation, to provide that counterbalance which a single mind cannot do for itself, so as for all of us onlooking then to see it in its Truth: its good points and bad, for what they are.
And throughout I thought that, for at least some people, feedback about the success of the move set as a "balanced addition to SSB" was . . . the very goal! And for those to whom it meant nothing, it could just be ignored.

But clearly I got that totally wrong.

So what content should my posts have, from here on?

Supplemental to this plea:

SpadeFox: You hate me. You really really hate me. And I don't know why.

Chris Lionheart: There is a logical fallacy implicit in what you asked me for, but I don't know if it's relevant to bring it up. Seems like it wouldn't score me any brownie points.

I'm feeling really ostracized here, guys. I'm sure the only reason I keep returning is that, as your typical internet spelunker, I have nothing better to do.
I hope no one believes I'm a troll, I hope no one believes I'm trolling MYM. If I was spitting on the very notion of MYM, why would I come to you and say I would build a move set of my own?

I'm so confused.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No, I don't hate you. I hate your attitude though, the "I'm right, you're wrong"-part of it, at least.

Look, you misunderstand what this contest is about. It's not about making Sakurai-like moveset with Punch-Punch-Kick for a Standard A Combo and not a Sex Kick for a Neutral Aerial.

This contest is about trying to give your favourite characters a moveset for Smash Bros., and trying to be unique enough so the moveset is not an uninspired set that is like Mario's or Marth's.
You have to understand that what is most important about our contest is the creativity you give your movesets, and not the "Would it be like Sakurai would do it"-part. That's not what we want. We want to set ourselves apart from Sakurai and Brawl's movesets by creating original movesets for our characters. At least the regulars we have are doing so. That's why you see so many movesets with special mechanics.

Of course, if the mechanic or a move is so complicated that it's awful to understand or such, I do understand where you're coming from. However, you give negative feedback on an A move that is a projectile! So what? If that is how the moveset creator wants their character to be, then so be it. You must absolutely loathe my movesets, as both of them have very unique moves, especially Waluigi.

Feedback is very nice and welcome in our contest. I appreciate the fact you read movesets and take your time to comment on them and give your thoughts. However, I would like to point out that you are reading these not with the correct mindset. You should read them with the mindset "Is this moveset unique, yet not too complicated?", not "Is this moveset like Sakurai would do it?". I hope you understand now what Chris and I (and some others) are trying to tell you.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Feedback is very nice and welcome in our contest. I appreciate the fact you read movesets and take your time to comment on them and give your thoughts. However, I would like to point out that you are reading these not with the correct mindset. You should read them with the mindset "Is this moveset unique, yet not too complicated?", not "Is this moveset like Sakurai would do it?". I hope you understand now what Chris and I (and some others) are trying to tell you.
But then is there no place for reading game balance into the analysis? For me, that is the restraint which makes the task so interesting. Uniqueness is what is thrilling, but what makes it awe-inspiring is how that succeeds even under great limitation. In my eye, it's how it succeeds through the limitation; the thing being understood through the system in which it exists, defined by the tightly constraining rules - yet leaving room for that expanse which the creative person pioneers into for us, and returns bearing treasure.

I certainly hope I wasn't reading them with "Is this how Sakurai would do it" - because then for sure I couldn't be paying attention to balance. [/cheap shot]

So I suppose I must ask if you meant 'Sakurai' as a placeholder for "The game's director", which if you did, makes everything clear.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why restrain your uniqueness by making everything balanced (as you seem to propose), if you can balance out the unique moves you created?

And yes, I meant "the game's director", but since that was Sakurai in all 3 iterations and probably will be Sakurai in a possible 4th game, I was stating his name.

I'm eagerly awaiting your moveset. In fact, these few posting lead me to understand why you bash originality. Kinda, at least. I want to see your take on creating a moveset. I want to see if you are original while still making balanced moves.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Well, I'm glad that's halfway-sorted out, because:

I'm eagerly awaiting your moveset. In fact, these few posting lead me to understand why you bash originality. Kinda, at least. I want to see your take on creating a moveset. I want to see if you are original while still making balanced moves.
is infinitely better than:

You're a jerk.

You know, I do hope the moveset you're doing will be perfect in every regard. Otherwise, I will SO hunt you down and rip you apart.
:ohwell:

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Seriously, Gangsta Kirby. Listen to these people.... a lot of these people have been doing this for several contests. I think we have a better knowledge of the subject than you do. When you actually do post a serious set, then you can be on the moveset list. Frankly, there is no point for Captain Fabulous to be on the set list, because he will not be voted on, except maybe in Half_Silver's best joke set award.

Can we compromise and start a list for joke sets as well?
._. id say thats a fair compromise

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Oh great, here we go again.

I will comment on the movesets I have major bias on (Kirby, Zelda, Megaman) later.

Medli looks great at a glance, and I am a MAJOR Zelda fanboy, Wiz.

PK-Ow: Don't increase Spade's anger like PPL did. Sometimes, I wonder why BKupa was named Wrath instead of Spade...

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Meh, you can still create highly original moves that are total garbage, or hard to use sufficent moves. On the latter, I'll use AOSTH Robotnik as an example (as it's the best example of mine), many of his kill moves had extreme power, (F-tilt) but it had very low range and long lag, as well of a "I win this you die, if I lose I die", most of the time, you would want to avoid using this move, however, if you use traps and special effects on the opponent, landing these moves got easier. Overall, the usefulness of those moves on their own were useless.

I really don't get how the more creative/unique a move/character is, the more inbalanced they're. To me, the balance part if it's done wrong is the movesets creators fault, not how unique/creative the move/sets fault.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
PK-Ow: Don't increase Spade's anger like PPL did. Sometimes, I wonder why BKupa was named Wrath instead of Spade...
Probably because I'm not angry, but only honest and blunt. I will only get angry if someone says I'm angry for no apparent reason, because I'm being accused of something I'm not - which I absolutely loathe.

Also, sorry for the double post, but this bugs me since ever.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Wow Spade, that's an awesome set period. I love how pratically every move is from the games, with only 2 or 3 moves which aren't interpretated from one of the games too (but they're fitting to character as well, and creative too). This does the more justice to mech Robotnik than the joint one between you and KOJ (Come back NAO). Amazing job Spadefox.
Did some of the stuff come from that set? I distinctivly remember the special stage stage from some where.

Okay, we have these many Robotnik sets:

Mech Robotnik (x2)
Dr Robotnik (Badniks)
Aosth/YTP Robotnik (Prop based)

Which one now lol?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
This does the more justice to mech Robotnik than the joint one between you and KOJ (Come back NAO).
However, this moveset is based on the MYM3 joint between me and KoJ, and has only the "punches X" moves replaced with new ones, as well as a few moves swapped or slightly altered.

It still uses the original moveset as a base, and is dedicated to KoJ, whereever he may have gone to...

But thanks for your words.

And yes, I took Special Stage from my MYM3 stage entry, too.

Can we compromise and start a list for joke sets as well?
I, though, guarantee you that I won't handle this list.

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
Great moveset Spade. My favorite moves would probably have to be the Down Smash (sounds interesting and with a down tilt to help it too) and Forward Air (thought the platform idea was cool). 25 seconds does sound like quite a bit of time for a final smash though.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik Is something I truely regret not reading last time, so I'm extremely thankful to you for bringing this set to MYM5.
Of course, I can't really comment on this moveset, since I hadn't read the one submitted to MYM3.0 and I have no idea what can be attributed to your MYM5 retooling. But it certainly felt like a blast from the past, in more ways than one.

Why isn't KoJ credited on the moveset's listing on the Abyss? And why is Fatman entirely credited to MasterWarlord?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why isn't KoJ credited on the moveset's listing on the Abyss? And why is Fatman entirely credited to MasterWarlord?
Because I maintain the list, forgot about Fatman, and actually don't know whether MasterWarlord desires KoJ to be standing next to his name in Fatman's case.

In Eggman's case: The set was already jointed before, and now has been majorly buffed in terms of detail and balance. Only a few moves have remained the same, but even those have been changed slightly (Down B, for example, originally dropped Egg Pawns from Adventure, now it drops Egg Robos to stick with the classic undertone of the set).

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Kibble’s 100% right about commentary, and actually making it detailed as well. I’ll go out and comment the movesets I’ve read but have yet to comment. I apologize for not reading Medli yet, Wizzerd, but one of the other sets I’m commenting is Bundt, so I hope that’ll suffice.

Eggman looks absolutely epic. I’m massively anticipating being able to read him. I won’t lie, I haven’t read a bit of it yet, so I won’t comment on him, but I’m gonna be reviewing him anyway, so I hope that’ll do.

Before I get into the commentary, a small announcement. I’ve replaced Beast Boy with Ryuk from Death Note in my plans. Sorry, but I just really wasn’t feeling anything for BB while I was getting a swarm of ideas for Ryuk, and I didn’t particularly wanna do more then 10 movesets in one contest. Anyway, Ryuk is coming along EXTREMELY well, he should be up before too long. Anyway, on to the commentary!

Gwen:

I echo Junahu’s commentary. At first I thought that the moveset was rather awkward and didn’t really fit together what with it being one of those “specials for every move” movesets, but the playstyle actually flowed extremely well. I also agree with Junahu though that it was awkward that despite the moveset having such a beautiful playstyle, your summary of it was extremely short and not particularly helpful. I’d really like to see you writing longer playstyle sections.

Anyway, the playstyle does indeed flow together, whether you describe it well or not. So many moves having the same basic animation as the side special/down special adds to mind games, and I LOVE what’s essentially a Counter/Mirror Coat Wobbuffet like style translated into Smash with those two special moves. The mass hexes are also taken advantage of in this set with the fthrow and dthrow. A question about the grab while we’re talking about this though. . .If the foe runs around in panic, is Gwen free to attack them or does she act like she has them “grabbed”?

There are plenty of other cool moves in the set unique all on their own, such as the utterly brilliant bair. However; sadly I feel Gwen is too overpowered. Several individual moves ruin what would otherwise be a balanced character. The nair –really- needs some lag added to it, or else the foe will hardly ever be able to pull off any move. At all. The up special is also a perfect recovery essentially. Getting a spot to teleport to isn’t an issue at all due to there being no lag whatsoever, and eve when she teleports back to the spot there’s no lag either. Most people who make these types of recoveries make them extremely punishable to make up for the fact they’re infinite, but you’ve given her the best recovery ever.

One last criticism. . .

Lionheart said:
Gwen's hands start glowing purple. There is no clue where the hitbox is, as the hitbox is completely invisible. Without "charging" this only hits about a stage builder block in front of Gwen, though charging it causes the hitbox to move as far as 5 stage builder blocks away (with the hitbox still being a stage builder block in size), at a rate of 1 stage builder block's distance per half second. Gwen will cast both hands forwards when you release A/B.
Several moves function exactly like this, but you always force us to read through it every time. You can’t simply say “It’s like the side/down special” to save us some reading. On the side/down special it’s even worse, as you essentially make us read the entire move twice when it could ultimately be summed up with “Just like the other special, but counters specials instead of A attacks”.

Anyway, despite all my criticisms, this is a really fantastic set. Despite the final smash not bringing any sort of mechanic to the max, it fits with the playstyle very well and is very well thought out. This is nearly on the level of your Arthas set, but I feel that Gwen has a lot more actual flaws then Arthas.

Balloon Fighter:

Heheh, actual extras! From a Kibble set! That’s a first. Speaking of which, I really liked the stage. Being able to move across the side to appear on the other by walking normally but being KOd if knocked into it was very cool. I always wondered how a stage like that would work.

Oh, right the actual moveset. Like I said in the chat, it could use a few more helpings of detail in that you don’t always mention the lag of a move on both ends. Anyway, the actual moveset functions entirely around a mechanic in a fashion like my Capsule J2 moveset. I don’t feel that Balloon Fighter flows too well in the same manner as J2 playstyle wise, as he’s really just relying on his mechanic to do all that for him. The actual individual moves don’t do the job too well. That said, the individual moves are cool. . .Although it irks me slightly that the specials aren’t particularly special when the cooler attacks that take more advantage of the mechanics are hidden away with random button inputs.

Also as I said in the chat, he seems overpowered. He can damage rack, KO, and recover with ease, plain and simple. While he has to keep making balloons to do this, I don’t feel this is this bad of a drawback. Then again, seeing my opinion differs so vastly from MT’s, he might be just fine as is.

The final smash is very cool. I really like forcing the players to go through an obstacle course. Sounds like fun, albeit even if the people having fun with it are in peril. It’s a shame the Balloon Fighter player can’t get in on the action though. Perhaps he could control some sort of stage hazard? That would add a much needed buff to the final smash, as it’s currently quite underpowered IMO, especially on only one player, considering it can only damage rack and isn’t even that good at that.

Balloon Fighter is a decent enough set, but it can’t compete with some of your past efforts like Advance Army IMO. Still, it was a very enjoyable read either way, and I was giddy over seeing actual Kibble extras.

Bundt:

Much, much better then the Goos IMO. I feel the moveset is brought together decently enough by the candle mechanic, but I do feel the moves are a bit too random and out there to form that much of a flowing playstyle. A similar case to Balloon Fighter and J2, but Bundt suffers a bit more then those two sets in this department. His attacks just feel kind of. . .Random. That said, several of them are pretty dang cool. . .And you made functioning, cool moves for a freaking cake. You also still kept the freaking cake perfectly in character, yet still made the freaking cake function as a viable character. You are to be commended for that.

I feel that Bundt is rather overpowered, though. He has pretty much everything with his only disadvantage being his size and weight. It’s been a while since I’ve read the set so I can’t recall the specific moves which need to be toned down, but one that sticks out in my mind is the uair. It makes you lose one candle. So what? High damaging KO move with infinite range and no lag. Very bad.

On the flipside, in your playstyle and throughout the set you mention that you’ll eventually want to use Raspberry as a last resort, but I honestly see no incentive whatsoever to use it. Raspberry has an extremely limited moveset with no KO potential or recovery whatsoever, and it’s pretty bad at damage racking at that. There is no reason to ever become Raspberry, even if all your candles are unlit. I’m not saying to make a miniature moveset for Raspberry, but you need to buff it to be better then unlit Bundt, or at least to be around unlit Bundt’s level.

I agree with HR that the final smash was also rather random and that it’d probably be better to just have it take advantage of Bundt’s mechanic by making all the candles be permanently alight for 30 seconds so Bundt can spam his broken uair to kingdom come, and for the candles to all be lit after the duration expires.

I love the fact that you included an SSE Role in the set. Can’t get enough of those. While it’s more of a SSE Role for Wario then Bundt, it was still cool enough anyway. Having Wario become obsessed with eating Bundt was brilliant. Excellent character pairing there. I find it rather random though that you made an SSE Boss yet didn’t include him in the SSE Role. Why not have Wario and Bundt fight Chef Torte after they fight each other? Seems to make all too much sense to me. Speaking of Torte, his attacks could use, dare I say it, moar detail.

Anyway, this was a huge step upwards from the Goos and a fun read, Wizzerd. I anticipate reading Medli so I can see how much further you’ve improved.

Edit: I'd prefer to have Koj's name alongside mine, but it's not really an issue at all.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Comments on Robotnik (Eggman)

Wow! I didn't realize this moveset was finished and ready to go! Pretty pictures throughout, perfect for making moves make sense. I'm particularly fond of the pulling of attacks from all of Robotnik's various boss battles, and synthesizing them all into a coherent Smash moveset. I love that I can remember a lot of these from my experience with Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles (though either it's been a long time or I never finished the games, because I don't remember all of the bits taken from all of those). In particular, I love the Side Special, the Down Special, the F-Smash (one I definitely do remember facing), the D-Smash, the U- and B-Throw (a lot just because I remember them, but they're cool moves, too). The Final Smash is fun, and obviously quite fitting. Awesome stuff, Spade! Dare I say, possibly my favorite of yours so far this contest!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Dr. Eggman was awesome.

I can only repeat what others have said in that it was cool to have so many attacks based on actual in-game attacks from the Sonic bosses. FSmash was just freaking awesome how you impleneted the totem pole, but my favorite part of the set had to be how DTilt and DSmash could be used together. Move interactivity FTW!

Overall, I fantastic move set and a nice tribute to KoJ. I was one of the people who got to know him during his stay in MYM, and I would say that he'd be proud of this move set. =D

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Eggman/Robotnik: Awesome moveset! Very nice presentation, with all the pretty pictures and visuals. The move descriptions are concise and adequate. I'm not all that familiar with the various Sonic games, but the use of various boss moves is cool. The moveset even seems like it could fit rather perfectly into a Smash game right now, since most of the moves are quite practical (there's even a generic punch!). One thing, though: I'm not clear on when exactly the arrow comes out for the Forward Smash. Is it before, during, or after the hammer attack? Oh, one more thing regarding the Back Air...why is Robotnik whipping himself? Other than that, I really liked it, so good job, Spade (and KoJ?)! :bee:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That Eggman set ties with Waluigi for my favorite set of yours, Spade. I've always loved the concept of him fighting in his Egg Walker and using all its gadgets, which you put to great use.

And I'm Wrath because...well, it's hard to provoke my wrath, and it hasn't happened yet, but when it does, it's not pretty at all. Plus, my namesake Bowser is pretty full of Koopa wrath.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
But then is there no place for reading game balance into the analysis? For me, that is the restraint which makes the task so interesting. Uniqueness is what is thrilling, but what makes it awe-inspiring is how that succeeds even under great limitation. In my eye, it's how it succeeds through the limitation; the thing being understood through the system in which it exists, defined by the tightly constraining rules - yet leaving room for that expanse which the creative person pioneers into for us, and returns bearing treasure.

I certainly hope I wasn't reading them with "Is this how Sakurai would do it" - because then for sure I couldn't be paying attention to balance. [/cheap shot]

So I suppose I must ask if you meant 'Sakurai' as a placeholder for "The game's director", which if you did, makes everything clear.

There is of course room for balance and playability in even the most unique of sets. Even Arthas, who you seem to despise so much, has a playstyle that is simple to use do to being auto-handled. Playstyle sections often indicate how the moves would work together in Smash. Yes, creative moves are the biggest priority of nearly every person here, and they are likely the most important thing to make a successful moveset, but there is a need for reasonable balance and the set must be simple enough to be playable. So, not everything you said is necessarily wrong, though a lot of your criticisms have been unfounded. Perhaps, the best sets are those that keep creativity within reasonable limits to ensure balance and playability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom