• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 21: The Moveset Design Contest | Top Fifty Is Up! Next Contest Approaches...

Smady

Smash Master
As the other big Kinnikuman fan in Make Your Move, I was naturally excited to read The Mountain! This is the most stereotypical heavyweight villain, he is pretty much a living boulder. I could immediately see why you chose to remake this upon seeing the Ghost form, though even the small reference to Giga Bowser’s melee weight and its effect on combos was immediately fun. The Ghost works in a simple but fun way, doubling up your potential to take damage while giving many double purposes to various moves. I do think making the foe mash out of Mountain’s corpse as it falls on side special should be changed, but besides that, it’s hard to fault the set at all up to smashes. The down smash is easily my favourite move in the set and whenever the ghost Mountain and the “corpse” interact; it’s always great, whether on side special, dsmash or the back throw. I also really like the fsmash and wish it had more of a central role, this could easily be the foundation of the set working similarly to the most recent Sloth set where you rely on boulders rolling back as a hitbox.

There is one move that I really do not like in this set and I can imagine you know the move. The fthrow gives the ghost intangibility for 5 seconds, the basic fthrow as a result is very dry. The effect allows Ghost Mountain to stand on top of regular Mountain and throw out hitboxes that can't be challenged at worst, and at best he goes on an insane offensive where Ghost Mountain has a Star Man. This simply needs to be changed.

I did not like the dtilt either, the Ghost version specifically. I like the flipper hitbox of the regular version but I do not like Ghost Mountain attacking through the ledge or dropping his entire body into the stage on demand. This would be a very cheap ledge guard and this Ghost crouch in general doesn't seem to take into account how it works on platforms. Does his entire body poke through as dtilt implies, giving him a massive hurtbox underneath? Or does he turn into a tiny hurtbox unless he uses dtilt? I'd be happy if this crouch was at least banned on platforms and that would probably be the easiest solution.

There were some moves that I thought were strangely weak for The Mountain that tried to bring in a combo focus. The utilt, bair and uthrow all have pretty forced animations to make them combo moves and I do not like being forced to blow meter on the uthrow to enable combos, or uthrow much in general. It would help the set if these were given quick changes to instead make these moves either focus totally on combos (uair could be a general launcher and not rely on the sourspot) or power moves (bair/possibly uthrow would be a lot more fitting that way).

I did end up spending most of the comment going over the negatives, but that's only covering a small portion of the set. This set could definitely go places if you wanted to jump back in, though as it is, the only move that really needs to change is the fthrow. That and at least clarifying what the Ghost crouch does on platforms, not exactly a time consuming edit. After that the other suggestions are up to you, as it's still good beyond those two specific complaints. Overall, can’t fault much else here! Great job Warlord.

As I was one of the two who gave behind-the-scenes feedback on PlanetMan.EXE, only fair I give a comment on what I think after the edits. I do appreciate all the edits you made to the utilt, the bair, the dsmash and various other changes. This included a wholly new uthrow, and I never even directly suggested giving a little extra to the down throw effect, which was a great idea. The original set had some pretty specific issues in these moves where PME was a bit forced and stilted between interaction/core moves, but this was alleviated greatly by editing the animations.

Now that all that is sorted out, the core of the set just feels far more consistent. At the same time I do have a few lingering problems that keep it from being among my favourites from you, and in case I somehow fail to get around to commenting it, I'd say Idella is my favourite of yours currently before I read Rime Marz. My problem is mostly characterisation. I don't get a good sense of if PME is particularly sadistic, funny or serious from his attacks, playstyle or animations. This might be something else for you to improve on, for example in the utilt when you say it's PME ordering his planets to "act" - this would be an opportunity to say if PME is an actual boss of the planets, or just kind of crazy and humanizes these constructs. I do wonder if BN itself is why because it doesn't exactly give huge depth to the RMs, in which case you may have to basically invent a personality, I don't mind what it is. Some flavour text on the animations would truly go a long way.

Honestly beyond that complaint, which is admittedly a little nebulous, I also found it hard to pin down a strong playstyle in this set. He creates the planets, a cool gimmick, and he plays around the spacing of the planets, it's a typical stage control set. It's executed well but it felt like it was missing a core idea to really elevate it beyond a fairly simplistic playstyle. As an example, I didn't feel that the planets and their exact type mattered that much after being a massively long, fairly excellent special. Couldn't his dsmash and other moves have unique interactions? Then he could have a different reaction or another bit of flavour, or thereabouts. Overall I definitely like the set and it's vastly improved so I don't expect you to go to such lengths on my behalf. Even if you only made some flavour changes it would be very worthwhile in my opinion for the set's quality.

Poliwag I commented on before and I had to delete my comment after discussing it in private with the set creator, all that can be salvaged from it is my hope you make Poliwhirl and especially Poliwrath… and maybe Politoed, as much as I dislike that design. This set now has a nice balance of a counter in Belly Drum that then powers up various moves; significantly the fsmash for offence and the core was already strong due to the aerials. These aerials are reminiscent of Squirtle or Pichu as combo-centric moves to bridge the gap to his weaker smashes. It then makes a lot of sense how the Belly Drum interacts in the KO moves later to help bring down the difficulty Poliwag logically would have to KO and the playstyle is made stronger by your buffs to the aerials/the addition of various new KO options. All in all, the playstyle here is neatly packaged and well done, and I like much of the characterisation too. It’s just a solid all around moveset.

I will say that as a general criticism not entirely directed at this set I am not sure of the use of a counter as a central buff. In Poliwag you do at least now have plenty of strengths on the counter like a very low end lag, a generous duration, Gut Check’s reflector capability and its power is well managed. On the other hand, needing to land a counter to accomplish things is not fun for the player. The set isn’t hugely UP when Belly Drum is not in use, and in fact does a good job making Poliwag seem UP without being laughably UP, but nevertheless it does restrict the character when these fun interactions and what bridges the playstyle together is locked behind a counter. This is simply not something we’re going to agree on though and that is okay, the set is still good even if I don’t like this aspect. I personally would have given a very laggy option to do Belly Drum without needing the counter.

Darmuk was a trip down memory lane seeing as I was once a reader of Homestuck. It really nails the writing style and feel of the web comic, it's pretty uncanny and I can't help but say, almost more fun than it was reading huge portions of Homestuck. On that note, the characterisation was also your best. The set is fairly dry after the specials but it does get across the point that Darmuk largely fights on the fly and his moveset naturally adapts to his chosen weapon. A weapon switch is not easy and this set definitely suffers a little for having to break many moves up, but you obviously went the extra mile too. It shows in how much longer this is than your other sets.

The overall playstyle is at its best when making use of the great Captchalogue mechanic. I do wish the set created more of its own projectiles or had another way to add items to the log, as currently it feels a little slow to be able to do that, and the faster that Darmuk can fill up the inventory the better. It's a very cool idea however and just having it available would be an interesting bit of pressure, but it could equally have some more interesting ways to experiment in there. For example an item that takes up two slots, or playing with the way slots are filled or extinguished in general would be a welcome addition.

My criticism of the set largely comes down to the grab game and some big redundancy issues. The throws are not very interesting at all, even if they are functionally alright. They could’ve at least had some weapon switch stuff in there. The redundancy issue is the big problem as naturally, the Captchalogue has to be filled up, and the set takes many an opportunity to create items to put in the Captchalogue… and this is often the main creativity of these moves. I do like the Captchalogue, but the set needs a little more depth beyond that. Besides that, I am not sure if his playstyle comes together super coherently and is a bit messy because of the inherent design philosophy behind a weapon switch. I can’t really fault you for that, but it might’ve been smarter to have another central mechanic that tried to bring harmony to all the weapons somehow. I do enjoy the fact the weapons all break and add to the Captchalogue. The down special was definitely improved, but is the weak link in the specials, so may be the problem. In any case, this is your best set and I enjoyed it, thanks for all your participation this MYM Kafka!

I was excited to read Aurelia and largely have to say, it met my expectations! This set takes a concept not dissimilar to a weapon switch and manages to reinvigorate the idea, and does so while not having all that many hard interactions. The general playstyle in that way reminds me a little of Kylo Ren and his “slag” interactions where Aurelia creates a little dent in the ground, there’s a couple other things but mostly Aurelia just loads her giant… ribauldequin and immediately has access to a crazy amount of options. I’ll just refer to that as her weapon from here on out. This could easily be a huge mess if it was a true weapon switch and all the moves were split into all the various types of ammunition, by stacking them on top of another, you managed to make every move consistent in the playstyle. It was a very clever idea.

The set would also not be all that to write home about if it wasn’t acutely aware of the engine and as I know you don’t play or watch the games as often as some of us, I would’ve assumed you’d not be too knowledgeable on the way it works. I assume you did a lot of research or had someone on hand to ask questions because this set is very impressive in how far it digs its claws into the engine. The nair’s two hitboxes, the vast array of ways to utilize the dash attack, the super fast dtilt/fair, just scrolling up later on the standards in general were surprisingly functionality-focused and smartly grounded the set’s balance. That then leaves room for fun and creative, if not entirely lets say tournament tested moves like fsmash or usmash. These moves aren’t unviable or anything, but the set ensures it’s not just a one trick pony that’s entirely reliant on hard reads. The balance in this set was obviously an important aspect of it, and I think it almost entirely delivers on balancing an incredibly powerful weapon that has to be front loaded. She has super strong moves, but they aren’t so extreme as to be useless, and can be augmented to have pretty specific uses.

The characterisation of the set is more of a bludgeon hammer being used to bash foes using the giant instruments, but that’s okay. I enjoyed how impressive and satisfying it is to throw around the giant weapon, in many ways reminding me of Metireon and his giant tablet. Inevitably the set can’t quite go that far in giving an identity to Aurelia’s weapon but there’s plenty of creativity to make up for it in how she utilizes it both as a blunt weapon and to create massive disjoints at the same time.

I would say that there’s a little redundancy in the “power moves” of bair, uair, bthrow and fsmash in that they are strong moves basically made stronger, in various creative ways, but nonetheless the dust could’ve been put to better use on other moves. The other issue I take with the set is that the other three specials aren’t nearly as central as the neutral special. The down special is pretty good actually, and while it may have been good to utilize later on, just having it around was a nice way to help balance the set. The side special flamethrower felt a bit weak honestly as a side special, and the up special as we have discussed has issues on some stages, and doesn’t tie in nearly as strong as may have been possible. These are really not big problems overall, though I would say they aren’t just nitpicks. In any case, the set is still one of my favourites this MYM and you should feel proud of this one! Great work FA.

Elpizo is another set in the “customization” genre and one that has a good core and strong melee to help balance the concept. The set reminds me of a combination of Anti-Mage’s mana/shield system to augment moves and sets like Jr. Troopa due to all the individual upgrades. Elpizo has some really good, fun animations that just feel satisfying and are the sorts of move I would gravitate towards doing this archetypal boss character. For example the usmash and dsmash have a good villainous aura that combos well next to these showy sword moves, the ftilt has a lot of personality of course, and I like the general look and feel of moves such as dash attack. It all gives a great sense of personality with the smallest of touches, I like that this is all through very simple animations too, quite subtle. Both this and Copy X are two characters I very much enjoyed seeing entirely due to the playstyle/characters being ones I would like to see in a game, as they have a lot of innate personality to their animations. A magic evil swordsman is rarely not fun.

Where Elpizo takes the initial concept is relevant to how fun the character is to imagine playing, as largely it takes the route of fun experimentation over practicality for the upgrades. That’s just how these customizable sets tend to go; you can’t really build a strong playstyle around the foe having a myriad of optional upgrades to go. That’s not necessarily a bad thing however as having the freedom to make your own playstyle is obviously quite appealing. Balance also plays a huge part in this working, as is demonstrated in how DarkMega is a legendary train wreck using the same general idea. Another important detail here is the way the Dark Elf is applied is very well done. The “COMPLETE” and “CONFIRMED” messages cannot be understated in how intuitive they are compared to just nothing or a weaker indicator to the player. It’s nice to have a set like this that goes the extra mile to make it all clear. I also really liked the way the set plays with angles and hitboxes on moves like dash attack, back aerial and the nice seesaw changes to moves like uthrow and nair. It’s a good mix of both small, significant changes to hitboxes/lag, and other changes that drastically alter how a move works. In a set focused on customization, giving a wide selection of choice is very important.

There were some moves I was not sure about however for balance, primarily being forward tilt, up aerial, fthrow. The forward tilt doubling the potential damage that Elpizo takes is a little ridiculous considering how much damage a single hit already does in 1v1s, I would reduce this quite a bit. The up aerial I’m not convinced is all that much of a negative at all for such a hugely powerful upgrade. Fthrow doing self-damage and knockback to gain access to a powerful throw, basically giving a 104% KO throw is a little ridiculous especially when Elpizo can upgrade to deal obscene damage in other moves including his pummel and bthrow, so it’s not hard to get to that number having a stock lead. I was also not so sure about all the self damage on moves like aforementioned fthrow, fair, and the neutral special orb. In many ways these moves are actually a lot worse than self damage leaving lingering hitboxes or dealing very strong knockback to Elpizo himself, making the set seesaw a little into extremes.

Nevertheless, if you really wanted you could revisit some of these things, if not I still really enjoyed the set and it’s not all that far off from Copy X in quality for the many positives I do like. As a duo they’re an excellent project and an impressive end for a great contest from you Roy! I’m really hoping you can keep up the momentum for next Make Your Move.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Burger King (The Black Knight)
Black Knight was a blast from the past. Not because I grew up with any pinball games aside from Space Cadet, but because the projectile redirect set was one of my few attempts at creating a moveset pre-MYM21.

Much like Strikers Daisy, The Black Knight has a central projectile that he has to smack around in order to let it gain power, in this case the Electro-Ball.

The set makes sure to make it feel like its source material: A pinball machine. Not only are all moves named after pinball techniques, but the most important props in the set are all themed after pinball classics even five-year Space Cadet-playing me can recognize, such as the bumper and the flippery things.

The set also provides tools to build your own pinball machine, so to speak and set-ups rarely feel redundant.
However, this exactly is the flaw of the set. Instead of playing pinball, The Black Knight forces the player to build the pinball machine first, which is a huge set-up and one that doesn't last in a Smash setting, especially since the Electro-Ball is build to bounce around this rarely existent pinball machine, being lightning fast.
This creates a sluggish and frustrating playstyle with a character with Link-like mobility having to build an entire set up in the hopes that a sonic speed thunderbolt can zip around for *fifteen hits* without flying out of bounds, which, with the current tools, seems nigh impossible especially when some of the Black Knight's tools even *speed up* the ball and what's left is an unimpressive melee and grab game.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Here Lies MYM's Hidden, Bloody History
8/10
To address the elephant in the room immediately, you succeeded at creating a vastly better Dead Hand than that of Wizzerd in the days of yore. Good work, Khold! Now, for the meat of the set. The rotten, festering, bloody meat. Dead Hand maintains a similar core to the Wizzerd set, albeit vastly less broken, revolving around wise use of the Dead Arm pseudo-minions to grab and fling the foe around wildly. I greatly appreciate you taking the effort to avoid the pitfalls of Wizzerd's take, not mucking about with stacking grab difficulty and such; the Dead Arms feel appropriately scary, but not to a broken degree. The shadow zones on USpecial are very neat, I'm rather fond of them and their features. NSpecial and DSpecial are also fun, giving DH a nice set of Specials all around. The sickening heap also has a nice selection of standards; I was particularly taken by Ftilt for being such an evergreen nice with a myriad of uses. The smashes are similarly good; I LOVE DSmash in particular! The aerials and throws are also nice; I like the use of arms to replace legs for "kicks". All in all, it all works and flows together very enjoyably; good work! (As an aside, I love the flavor, bouncing from horror to Wizzerd jokes, heheh.)

First things first: the flavor on this set is great. You did a great job imitating Andrew Hussie's style while simultaneously avoiding the pitfall of making the set incomprehensible to those who aren't familiar with Hamsteak. The second-person narration in particular is pretty much dead on, with my only complaint being that it at times loses the thread of being written in-character, with Unarmed UTilt even dropping second-person. But ultimately I still adore the flavor, and it goes a long way towards spicing up a solid, though not exactly groundbreaking, set. With that out of the way, it's on to the Specials, the meat and gristle of the set. Captchalogue is a pretty potent ability if used correctly, and I'm very happy to see that you've more or less made the STACK Captchalogue work exactly as it did in the source, down to weaponizing the violent forced ejection; in fact, said jettison mechanic is what propels this move to greatness, making it a more complex but more rewarding Pocket. But what makes it better is that you kindly provided Darmuk a good handful of objects to nab on his own, so he's not just screwed out of a mechanic against someone with no projectiles. The Strife Deck is well done, with each weapon occupying a clear cut niche with no real overlap, which is impressive for a first-time weapon swap set. I especially like how you even make the broken weapons useful by letting them become Captchalogue fodder. DSpecial is my favorite of the bunch, honestly, simply because it's such a simple but effective construct, handing out buffs, dealing DoT, and serving as Darmuk's best option for the Captchalogue eject under most circumstances. USpecial is also fun, since it actively feeds into the STACK. Beyond the Specials, the set is pretty cut-and-dry, with straightforward moves that all work well and are solid enough. My only complaints, I already voiced to you in the Discord, and they're all easy, rudimentary fixes. All in all, well done!

Who WAS That Mysterious Masked Mon?
9/10
Kilton has seen extensive reworking since his release, thanks to WCF taking feedback to heart and doing his best to refine the set more and more; I'm impressed with the (currently!) final result, so I'd say it was effort well spent! Kilton is a micromanagement set, albeit more distilled than some others in the genre thanks to having a relatively modest pool of Stuff to manage. Of course, having a modestly sized pool of stuff doesn't mean he can't have fun with his mechanics! The minions in this set are pretty interesting, since they're essentially neutral parties; I adore the idea of essentially summoning a stage boss to harangue everyone on stage... including poor Kilton himself. You even manage to keep that from being too overpowered by making it so the Lynel will never ally with Kilton and so he cannot be paired with another, less dangerous monster. The Lynel is a nuclear option, more or less, something extremely powerful but also very risky to Kilton himself. Beyond the minions, Kilton plays around with a lot of fun BotS mechanics, like cooking... Stalhorses (still angry we can't keep those in BotW, by the way...)... Octorock Balloons... he even uses the Spring-Loaded Hammer well! The Specials are all fun and interesting, especially when widely used in tandem. I love how practically every Special interacts with the others organically, even if the interaction is something rather small. The Smashes are all really fun as well; I'm happy to see your take on the increasingly popular concept of Smashes as Pseudo-Specials, because Kilton's Smashes play into his monsters in some really fun and useful ways! The rest of the set isn't necessarily EXCITING, but the melee game is solid, with a good focus on somewhat clumsy, awkward animations to hammer home that Kilton isn't exactly the most graceful fellow. Ultimately, I feel this set is very much worth a read, and I'm very pleased to see your dedication to it!

Universe Man, Universe Man
9/10
Planetman.exe starts off with two very strong core concepts that mesh together beautifully: orbits and Planets. Both concepts are pretty straightforward and intuitive, but the combination of them leads to some excellent central mechanics that make Planetman a fairly unique heavyweight! I'm very fond of what you've done here, creating a sort of "soft" projectile manipulation set that ends up lending the character an almost almighty feel as he whips comets, massive meteors, and chunks of the earth itself around as if they're nothing more than pawns. Planetman wisely keeps things close to the two cores, taking care not to introduce things that overcomplicate or water down the set. Every single move has an intuitive use and works together with Planetman's mechanics in a fun fashion. Even the animations are fairly fun given the character's unorthodox build! To sum it up, you did a great job, US. (Also, the space shuttle BAir is adorable.)

That's How Mafia Works
10/10
Aurelia is a set that admittedly intimidates with its length and density, but sticking with it is absolutely worth your time, because FA has done a wonderful job here. Between Shatter and the Dust cartridges, Aurelia has two very strong central mechanics that give her a VERY satisfyingly brutal feel that I love, especially in tandem with her absurd weaponry. The name of the game is overkill, and yet it's all balanced thanks to Aurelia needing to think on her feet and manage her resources and spacing wisely, otherwise she may end up missing crucial strikes and wasting big hits. While the word count is massive, it never feels superfluous or unnecessary thanks to every bit of information being engaging and useful. The set never feels like it's simply talking for the sake of having more words, thanks to having plenty to discuss. The animations are fairly creative in several places, and generally fittingly savage and brutal given the weapon Aurelia uses. It all comes together in a hugely satisfying symphony of destruction, one that demands the player learn how to dance to its tune, but promises extreme power when played correctly. Aurelia is pure gold, and absolutely worth a read; don't let the length put you off, this is a treasure not to be missed!

An Unforgettable Luncheon
8/10
Right off the bat, Mr. Okumura brings in a mechanic I've always wanted to try myself: healing the foe, but getting retribution later. Not only is this core very unique, the flavor is great. In fact, this whole set does a very good of flavoring the food mogul as an unfeeling corporate overlord who despite his sloth must spend his time and effort wisely in order to make the best of his assets. The unusual blend of themes Mr. Okumura has (food, sci-fi, and business) could've led to a schizophrenic mess flavor and tone wise, but you did a great job mixing it all up into a cohesive recipe that produces a fun, unorthodox set. FSmash is a fun standout with amazing gameplay and flavor integration that is an excellent addition to the big business theming. It's kind of funny in a meta sense that sometimes Mr. Okumura WANTS profits to be down for his own benefits. Every move has a fairly clear place in the gameplan here, and I appreciate that you don't forget to keep track of all the crazy setup and interactions that Mr. Okumura is gonna be throwing around. It's all fairly busy, but it never feels overwhelming. Well done, Warlord; maybe you'll get a raise for this set.

Mario Paint Switch When
7/10
I'm very pleased to see Rivals of Aether mechanics leaking into MYM, especially something as crazy as Shovel Knight's shop! In fact, the entire set we're given here feels, to me, more like a Rival's set than a Smash one, which is not a criticism in any sense. The shop and paint are handled very elegantly, and the items on offer all feel useful in their own right (...except Tippi, naturally). I also very much like the inclusion of timed hits, seeing as that lends a lot to Paper Mario FEELING like Paper Mario. I'm especially glad you made sure timed hits aren't too invasive or too polarizing; what I mean is, if you don't know how to use them properly, you're not crippled, but learning them doesn't make you overpowered, it just gives you a nice little edge. I don't really have a ton to say, since the set is fairly straightforward, simple, and elegant. It feels very plausibly Smash in a way a lot of MYM sets don't, especially since Ultimate is branching out a lot more. Heck, I could see the shop in Ultimate completely unaltered!

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Unfortunately I won't be able to vote, so it seems.
Having the Comment deadline being the same Day as my Bachelor Thesis deadline does not help in getting things done in either direction

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
The editing period has been extended to March 31st. You have a bit more time to polish up your sets before the contest ends, and also it serves as additional reading time for the people who are significantly behind or have to worry about delays in the future. Keep reading everyone!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Default Dance (Omega by The Jim Jims The Jim Jims )

Just like the last comment aimed at this set, I'd first like to apologize for overlooking this set for quite long, being lodged at the bottom of my reading list. I found some time to read it and was really surprised since I heard this was your first set and while first sets are usually quite rubbish, you've managed to make your entry at a very respectable level.

This thanks to your mechanical understanding of Smash's mechanics and mindgames. While most sets tend to stay kind of basic in the melee category, you describe one-on-one interactions with fitting responses to opponent's reactions which makes even the weaker moves feel like a core part of Omega's set. This grasp is usually exclusive to moveset makers that have been here since the dawn of time and I can't stress enough how impressive it is for a newcomer to give us this sort of set of standards.

Much like the previous comment aimed at this set, I think the Specials are funnily enough the less interesting part of the set. The ammo isn't a bad mechanic by itself. It seems to represent Fortnite quite well and it gives a bold direction to the set.

That said, I feel the ammo, while a fun idea, is implemented a bit awkward.
Not only is the Plunger quite weak, it also comes with a hillariously high cost as you only have six of them. As noted in the set, these six Plungers correspond with the six Tony Hawk ramps you can build, but the set also uses them to give Omega a ranged option and to apply general pressure. A tool that is that recurring in the rest of the set's applications and with weaknesses similar to your regular old projectile shouldn't have such a harsh cost.
An ammo cost of twenty would already prevent Omega players from outright spamming it and make throwing one of them a concious decision, but it would allow this core projectile be less restricted in its uses and would allow Omega to actually use them for the purposes described so well.

Alternarively, you can keep the current ammo cost, but you can make them the most positively broken projectile in the game to justify it.

On the opposite side of that spectrum is the Tony Hawk Ramp, which is said to be the core of the set, but isn't mentioned a whole lot in the otherwise neatly described melee game, which makes it seem like a detached part of the set instead of its core. Some parts of its balance, such as the low HP and the high build time don't mesh well either with it already having a punishing ammo cost.

This is all easily fixed though, which is why I wrote this comment. I really think you already got what it takes to be one of the greats and Omega already competes with some of the sets of the leaders in my opinion which is why it would be silly to not rethink the balance of the ammo system and leave this gem be unpolished

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
To begin, I'd like to apologize for my inactivity on Smashboards and MYM specifically. This community was incredibly welcoming to me when I first joined, and I'm sorry that I was not as active as I would have liked to be. I wrote up an abstract where I answer some questions regarding that and Omega, but after writing it, I felt that it stroked my ego too much. I'll put it as a spoiler, so read it if you'd like, but most importantly, Omega got BUFFS!

I'm currently a sophomore in high school doing four extracurriculars and dual credit. All four of those things in tandem with each other occupy a ton of my free time, but furthermore, I have been competing in fighting games for four years. Smash primarily, but I have also dabbled in Guilty Gear, SFV, and Skullgirls. Perhaps this is why the melee of Omega was so darn dandy. I came at constructing the set through the eyes of a competitive player, who say F-Tilts as not just F-Tilts, but methods of pressuring shield, and so on. I always like to look at moves of my mains and say "Alright, here is the intended purpose, now let me find seven other purposes." I tried to implement that in Omega by laying out scenarios in which every move was useful in competition. It wasn't enough for me to simply describe the move, its damage, knockback, etc. It was about making Omega a character I would want to main in competitive Smash, and one that you guys would too. I hope I did that effectively.

Thank you guys for your comments and patience. Thank you especially to ForwardArrow, who helped me with numbers for Omega for an hour.

DRW: 30% Threshold! You can't poke it with your pinkie fingertip and have it shatter before your very eyes anymore. It now will take 1-2 heavy hits or 3-4 weaker ones to destroy it, which is quite a bit of time dedicated to the wall and not Omega. Also, 30x6 is 180, and you have 180 wood, so it doesn't feel like a loss numerically anymore.

Clingers: 20 of them, 15% each! What was I doing when I said that six clingers were enough? WeirdChillFever proposed 20, and with the durability buff to the DRW, I found this to be a good number. Now that it takes two clingers to destroy a DRW, you will still have eight left over to do cool conditioning stuff. The damage buff seems fair as well.

SCAR: Removed unfuness! No longer flinches! Giving Omega a "hold B and the opponent can't play the game and now they have 30%" was cheap and would be unfun to play against. SCAR bullets no longer flinch. To compensate, it now takes 3/4 of a second to reload the SCAR. ForwardArrow suggested lowering the reload time because two seconds is a ton of time dedicated to nothing. I decided on 3/4 of a second because, and I quote from our DMs, "I think I'll go with 3/4 of a second, because if it was 1 second, it would give the opponent too much a free window considering how fast everyone is in Ultimate, and exhausting your clip is what you're supposed to do, at least for the first one. 3/4 means that the opponent will be a little warier as he could cancel the reload and shield grab or something. Especially since everyone just watches things happen in Ultimate anyway lol"

Dair: SECONDARY USE! In retrospect, I emphasized "the high ground" a lot in my set without giving too many benefits as to why it was a good thing. The DRW was advertised as the set's core, but between my lack of emphasis as to why and the pitiful durability, I understand why readers thought it was a niche aspect of the set. Dair's new secondary use should add a large buff to the set's core.

"Dair has a secondary use that ties in with the DRW. In Fortnite, a common strategy is to destroy the opponent’s roof with a shotgun and switch to a second shotgun to pop them for a lot of damage. In Smash, this idea translates in a more unique fashion. Opponents will primarily want to seek refuge under the ramp so that the SCAR would hit the ramp as opposed to them, and because people like to do nothing if it helps them. When Omega hits his ramp with any part of Dair, the 30% threshold is bypassed as the blue destroyed wood flies downward. The range of this interesting projectile is entirely under the ramp and .5 BFPs in front of it, giving the opponent little leeway for escape once it is coming. If Omega uses Dair on the ramp out of a short hop, and the DRW is on solid ground, the Dair will auto cancel. This projectile does 10% and kills Bowser from center stage at ~180% (it is destroyed wood, after all). While this is used primarily to punish people camping Omega out, this is a secondary (and safer) method of ledge trapping. The Clinger method of ledge trapping is perhaps more rewarding, but it involves Omega going offstage. Yikes. Dair from a DRW covers all ledge options except ledge jumping backwards, but since that’s a very linear option, Omega can short hop in place to bait it and RAR Bair for a kill. The projectile itself isn’t an effective kill move, and can be avoided by neutral getup -> shield, but since it auto cancels, Omega can begin to pressure shield with the opponent’s back to the ledge.

Dairing a DRW is a secondary reward for having one in center stage with the opponent’s back to the ledge, a concept I have emphasized throughout this set as being Omega’s most powerful position.
"

Uair: 15%! It now takes two full hop Up Airs to destroy a DRW. Considering the 13 frame startup, this seems like a fair trade. I also rewrote the description of the move.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER - PARK EDITOR

MOVEMENT
Movement for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor is very different from the standard fighter in Super Smash Bros. Rather than controlling a single character and their movement, the player controls a cursor, two corners which surround a perfect training grid. Moving in any of the four cardinal directions will cause the cursor to make a two-frame hop movement in that direction. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor cannot move diagonally, but will remain in the air without falling. This gives great control to the player for moving around the stage, essential given the set's basis on stage management. However, this means that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor lacks standard directional inputs, unable to perform directional moves. Instead, there are four main inputs to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor: Special, Standard, Shield, and Grab, though they don't apply to the cursor like they would to other characters. Also, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor is immune to attacks. It's a concept, not a character, so hurting it wouldn't make sense canonically.

This is Tony Hawk. He is a separate entity from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor, who is only controlled by the Standard Input. Tony Hawk shreds the stage back and forth endlessly, as long as he's not interrupted. Tony is here so that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor can be defeated, and also he's like kind of an icon I guess. He's no Bob Burnquist though. Tony rides his skateboard at Mario's dash speed, and if he hits the edge of a platform will bump on an invisible wall, bouncing off it with a grunt before turning around. Tony keeps fairly low to the ground, putting him at about Villager's height. He also has the weight of Ike, making him surprisingly hard to kill, and moves as fast in the air as the ground, with a slow fall speed. If Tony is KO'd, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor loses a stock but remains on the stage. Nifty! The ability to continue setting the stage up between stocks seems broken, but Tony has very little he can do on his own. Poor Tony! As mentioned, Tony uses the Standard Input, but we'll get into that later, as this gives him a selection of situational tricks to attack with but we have to cover those situations first.

SPECIAL - ITEM PLACE / SHIELD - ITEM SELECT
Using the Special input, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor has the ability to place down a variety of constructions, designed for Tony to perform sick tricks on to attack opponents. The constructions can also mess with foes, but honestly who cares about that? Pressing the button will place the item highlighted by Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor's stock icon in the grid the cursor occupies within a few frames. The constructions have variable health, and generate different appearances for each of the constructions without changing the gameplay. Using the Shield input allows Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor to cycle through the props, but only in the order listed below. This happens instantaneously, allowing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor to make decisions as quickly as they can press the button. Holding the button will flip the item horizontally, which can be important.

QUARTER PIPE
Quarter Pipes are to Tony Hawk what regular pipes are to Mario: common. This is the default construction for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor, but the default can be changed on the character select screen's very crowded fighter portrait. Quarter Pipe's have 25% health, and fall to the ground / offstage if placed in the air. They pass through any fighter that isn't Tony while falling, which allows this to be used as a recovery for our boy. All fighters can run up the round part of the Quarter Pipe, which fills three 'L' shaped grids, defying gravity, but any that aren't Tony will be forced into a ledge grab if they reach the top. Tony will instead ride up the Quarter Pipe and fly straight up three grids, pausing at the top of his jump. This gives him vertical height for tricks and recovery, but nothing horizontally. Two Quarter Pipes can be on the stage at once.

RAIL
Rails are to Tony Hawk what regular rails are to Mario: rails. Rails are pretty flimsy, taking 10% damage to break one section of rail. Placing a rail down will create a grid's length of metal in the center of the grid the cursor occupies. Unlike Quarter Pipes, only Tony can use rails, and only when performing a trick. Rails also don't fall when placed in the air, instead putting metal supports that reach infinitely down. These don't affect fighters but do take damage if attacked. In addition to the use for damaging tricks, this gives horizontal recovery to Tony, allowing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor to carry him back to the stage. Five Rails can be on the stage at a time.

SLOPES
Similar to Quarter Pipes, Slopes can be used by all characters, but don't put characters in ledge-grab, and fall to the ground. Slopes only have 15% health, and fill a grid's height at the highest point. Tony flies off of these at a low angle, more acting as a way for him to jump "on command", and aren't very effective at recovery. Only two Slopes can be on the stage at a time.

WALL
This is a wall. This is MYM, this is nothing new. The wall is a little thick and covers two grids in height. Its a hefty wall too, taking 30% before destroying. This mostly serves as a way for Tony to survive projectiles, since he has no shield or dodge, but only one wall can be on the stage at a time. The wall also does not fall, just hovering in the air. Neither foes nor Tony can pass through walls unless they're able to pass through normal walls.

CAR
This places a car down. There aren't many advantages for Tony for this, and only one car can be on the stage, but putting cars down was always the coolest part of Park Editor in the games. The car is two grids long and one grid high, and falls with gravity. Foes can actually be hit by the falling car unlike other props, and this deals 9% damage with good downwards knockback. Afterwards, the car has 25% health.

GRAB INPUT - DELETE

Sometimes you don't want the car you just put down, and the grab input will act as a special Delete key for the cursor. Pressing the input causes the cursor to suddenly shrink down before expanding again, accompanied by a skateboard skritching sound. Any constructions that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor has selected will be instantly deleted. Using this over Tony will cause him to turn around and continue in the opposite direction, both on the ground and in the air. This also serves as an attack, dealing 6% damage with weak knockback but massive shield damage. There's a good amount of lag to this, so this can't be used to infinitely push foes off the stage unfortunately.

STANDARD INPUT - TRICK
Finally Tony makes himself useful! Using this move causes Tony to perform a trick, which varies based on the situation our boy is in. This can be done with vanilla stage aspects, but more relevantly by planning with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor's constructions.

KICKFLIP
If Tony is just riding his skateboard along the stage normally, the default trick he will perform is a Kickflip. This is a quick, low jump to the ground, as Tony flips his board... by kicking it. This is fairly fast, but can cause Tony to soar off the edge if he's not careful. This will only hurt opponents who make contact with the board, limiting the range a fair bit, but the move deals a nice 8% damage with knockback that can start to KO around the 150% range. A pretty solid bread-and-butter for the Birdman.

NOSEGRAB
When used in the air, Tony's trick is a sexy Nose Grab. Tony grabs the front of his board and rotates his body a bit, holding the board like this for as long as the attack button is held. Like the Kickflip, this has a bit of a strange angle to it, but still has a broad range if he can hit with it. This deals 8% damage with strong knockback away from Tony, which can KO from centerstage around 105% damage. What a killing move! If Tony lands while using this move, however, he will enter prone, so be careful!

INVERT
If Tony approaches the lip of a Quarter Pipe or the edge of a ledge and uses a trick right on the edge before he would jump, he will perform an Invert! Tony grabs the edge of the ramp, using it to lift himself in the air with his board above him. This is a laggy attack, but is the safest in terms of not just accidentally killing Tony, and can be very effective at reading a foe trying to punish a Quarter Pipe jump. This knocks foes for 12% damage with enough force to kill around 85%! This is very situational, however, but it can be held out like with the Nosegrab. Hold it for more than two seconds, however, and Tony will fall down and land prone.

GRIND
Pressing the attack button while Tony is next to a Rail will have him hop on and start grinding along it! Pressing the move again will have him hop off. This deals a weak hit of 4% damage with upwards knockback to any opponent in his way. Tony's movement speed increases to Fox's dash speed while grinding as well, helping to make this an effective recovery and ground covering move. If Tony uses this move for more than three seconds without touching the ground, he will fall helpless and be prone on landing, so it's not the world's most broken recovery.

WALL PLANT
If used within a grid of, and facing, a sheer wall of any kind, Tony will Ollie off the ground and hold a hand forward while he soars. Tony then slaps the wall with his hand, leaving up a sick Neversoft sticker on the wall! This can hit foes for 6% damage with weak flinching if they're in the way, but other than that is a great way for Tony to make some royalty checks during the match.

GET INTO CAR
Using this move near a car that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor has placed, or any vacant vehicle, will have Tony instantly teleport into the car, even if it is currently in the air. Tony himself has his license suspended for unpaid parking tickets, so he can't actually drive the car, but he gains superarmor while inside for damage equal to the health of the car, though he still takes damage while hit. This was intended to be a joke, but could be a cool way of giving Tony a fun stall-and-fall by having him hop into a car that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Park Editor just dropped. Incredible.

FINAL SMASH - SHREK
Shrek's in this game! Shrek skateboards onto the stage on his wooden swamp board before screeching to a stop. He puts his polygonal hands to his mouth and gives a shrill ogre whistle, and all across the stage the following characters suddenly spawn in: C.O.D. Soldier, Darth Maul, Doom Guy, Eddie, Iron Man, Jango Fett, Judy Nails, Neversoft Eyeball, Nick, Roberta the Robomodo Mascot, Spider-Man, Wolverine. The characters spawn in randomly all over the stage and in the air, accompanied by a burst of light which deals 50% damage with knockback that KOs around 50%. Unfortunately, the cost of all these IPs is too much for anything except a static model appearance, so they disappear four seconds later.

Last edited:

Slavic

Hitmontop
"What's the plan, Hitmontop?"

Hitmontop, number 106 in the Pokedex, is the Fighting-type Punching Pokemon, a monster who dates back to the original games. Utilizing incredibly potent but perilous moves such as Jump Spin and High Jump Spin, alongside great coverage moves like the Elemental Punches and Blaze Spin, Hitmontop proves itself as the almighty offensive evolution to the baby Tyrogue, compared to the boxing alternative Hitmonchan or the balanced Hitmontop. Part of what makes Hitmontop so lethal with its Spins is the nature of his legs; the weird design is indicative of natural flesh-pistons with incredible stretchability, allowing Hitmontop to hit his foes with pinpoint accuracy. On top of that, Hitmontop's feet harden as they are used, making each Spin more painful than the last.

STATS
Despite being another Spining-style character, Hitmontop does not play the quick offense that Little Mac has. Instead, Hitmontop trades speed for his weight, which allows him to take hits a lot better than Little Mac can. Hitmontop’s stats themselves aren’t terribly excellent, but his high gravity can put him back on the ground where he is most comfortable. Though Lee has average speed, he has an arsenal of approach moves that can close the distance to opponents. Hitmontop has a build similar to Captain Falcon, though his stats are distributed much more different than the Captain.

Weight - 7 (Hitmontop is identified by his high Defense. In Smash Bros., this manifests as being harder to knock around.)
Height - 5
Jump Height - 4
Double Jump Height - 4
Air Speed - 3
Fall Spedd - 7
Walk Speed - 6
Dash Speed - 7
Traction - 6

MECHANIC - IRON Head
Hitmontop’s signature ability, Iron Head powers up the Spining Pokemon’s Head-based moves. As Hitmontop’s moveset is almost entirely Spins, Iron Head makes itself present as a mechanic for the fighter. In Smash Bros., Iron Head serves as a buff for Hitmontop that is charged through time. As Hitmontop uses his standards (tilts and jab), his gloves begin to change. The more he strikes opponents, the higher Iron Head is charged. The charge is indicated by the state of Hitmontop’s gloves, and they grow more metallic as he lands hits. When fully active, after Hitmontop has done 50% damage with his Standards, Hitmontop’s gloves are silver and glimmer, appearing as if affected by a Metal Box. In this state, Hitmontop’s non-standard Spining moves (Specials, aerials, smashes, etc.) do 1.5 times more damage and knockback, and many of Hitmontop’s Specials are altered. When Hitmontop stops hitting opponents with his standards, Iron Head will retain its charge for five seconds before it begins to cool down, reverting the gloves to normal. From a full charge, it takes about five seconds for the charge to fully dissipate.

MOVES

SPECIALS
Neutral Special - Fire Spin / Thunder Thunder Spin (~7-13%)

Hitmontop braces himself and pulls his arm back, charging a Spin. As he prepares the Spin, it takes a red glow and lights on fire! This attack takes about a second and a half to reach full charge, after which it will automatically activate, should it not have been released earlier. Hitmontop then throws his flaming glove straight forward in front of him. striking opponents for a decent amount of damage and knockback, without taking Iron Head into consideration. At full charge, Fire Spin deals around 13% damage and can KO opponents around 150%, although it has a chunk of ending lag should he miss an opponent.

However, should Iron Head be fully in effect, Hitmontop’s move changes into Thunder Spin! When Hitmonchan uses Thunder Spin, he pulls his Head back in the same manner as Fire Spin. However, bolts of electricity fly into the glove instead of it catching fire. Additionally, there is no charge for this move, though the startup animation causes a moment of lag. Once his Head is electrically charged, he launches it forward at a higher speed than Fire Spin. Damage-wise, Thunder Spin, with the Iron Head boost, is equal to a fully charged Fire Spin. However, when the opponent is struck, instead of being launched they are stunned as if struck by ZSS’s Paralyzer. This allows Hitmontop to either escape, follow up with another attack, or launch into a flurry of standards.

Side Special - Mach Spin / Bullet Spin (~4-9%)

Hitmontop lunges his Head forward in a Spin a moment later and flies forward at high speeds without warning. Hitmontop travels two Battlefield Platforms forward, or until he comes in contact with an opponent or surface. Hitmontop moves at the speed of Fox Illusion while performing his Mach Spin. Opponents struck by the Spin take about 5% damage and are knocked back a bit, KOing at 190%.

With a full Iron Head, however, Mach Spin turns into Bullet Spin! When using Bullet Spin, Hitmontop lunges forward in the same manner as Mach Spin, down to distance traveled and how fast the attack happens. However, when Hitmontop strikes an opponent, he performs an uppercut instead of simply jabbing forward. Bullet Spin deals around twice as much damage as Mach Spin, and has improved killing potential, able to KO at 130%. However, after using Bullet Spin, Hitmontop has a chunk of ending lag, which can punish him should he overuse it. This move is an important killing move for Hitmontop, and is also essential for closing the space between him and the opponent. This also serves as a good horizontal recovery move.

Up Special - Sky Uppercut / Meteor Mash (~8-16%)

From the ground, Hitmontop jabs forward with his Head quickly dealing a small amount of damage. From the jab stance, Lee performs a flying uppercut, pulling the opponent up with him and dealing even more damage. In addition to damaging opponents, Sky Uppercut does a good deal of vertical knockback, and can KO at 150%. When used in midair, Hitmontop lifts his Head up in the air and spirals upwards at a slight angle for about one and a half Battlefield platforms. Hitmontop’s Spin sweetspots at the peak of the move, which allows Lee to KO opponents at as low as 120%. Hitmontop then enters his Special Fall. A good finishing move, but not an excellent recovery for Hitmontop.

With Iron Head fully active, Sky Uppercut becomes the mighty Meteor Mash! On the ground, Hitmontop throws out an incredibly powerful jab, dealing good damage to opponents, before Hitmontop launches them upward with an uppercut. Hitmonchan doesn’t jump into the air with Meteor Mash, and by the end of the attack the opponent takes roughly 16% damage. Opponents are KO’d from this at about 120%. In midair, Hitmontop leaps upwards at the same height and angle as an aerial Sky Uppercut, but without a hitbox and without spinning. At the top of the jump, Hitmontop curls up and does a flip in midair before he launches downward, Head first, at high speed at an angle. Opponents struck by Meteor Mash are meteor smashed and take a good chunk of damage, and upon landing, any opponents struck are launched outwards, capable of KOing at 90%. However, this move cannot be canceled, and can lead to self-destructs, and there’s a chunk of ending lag as Hitmontop picks himself up.

Down Special - Drain Spin (15%)

Hitmontop takes a step back and begins charging a Spin, visually similar to a Falcon Spin, as a green orb manifests around his Head. After a bit of startup lag, Hitmontop then jabs forward, dealing a good chunk of damage to opponents, a constant 15%. After making contact with an opponent, Hitmontop heals 10% of his damage, sapped from the opponent. While this move does good damage and is an excellent utility move, it does no knockback as opponents are held in place while Hitmontop heals, and Hitmontop simply releases the opponent afterwards. This move’s damage is affected by Iron Head, but will only ever heal 10%, and Drain Spin never changes into a different move.

STANDARD MOVES
Hitmontop’s standards have no startup or ending lag and are all able to be rapidly executed, one after another, which allows Hitmontop to rack up big combos and charge up Iron Head's boost. Because of this, Hitmontop’s standards are rather weak and have no knockback, designed instead to rapidly pummel foes and build up Iron Head.

Jab - Comet Spin (2%)
Hitmontop reaches forward impossibly fast and jabs in front of himself. In addition to damage, the opponents flinch enough to get locked into the jab. When pressed repeatedly, Hitmontop alternates his Heads as he jabs at the opponent. Hitmontop’s jabs slowly push opponents backwards, out of the combo. After four hits, the jab weakens to 1% damage, and after eight hits, the flinching effect disappears, allowing opponents to fight back.

Forward Tilt - Hook (2%)
Hitmontop throws a blindingly fast hook at the opponent. Opponents struck by the hook take a bit of damage and are pulled back inward towards Hitmontop, instead of being knocked away. This allows Hitmontop to continue his assault of standards or follow up with one of his Specials or Smashes. This move, and all of Hitmontop’s standards, follow the same stale usage formula as the jab.

Up Tilt - Uppercut (4%)
Hitmontop’s Head becomes a blur as he launches a lightning-quick uppercut. This is Hitmontop’s strongest jab, damage-wise. Opponents struck by this are knocked upwards slightly as they take damage, which can result in a broken combo for Hitmontop should he overuse it.

Down Tilt - Gut Spin (2%)
Hitmontop bends his arm and launches a blistering Spin to the opponent’s gut. This is Hitmontop’s slowest standard (marginally) but deals the most hitstun to opponents, which makes the move ideal for following up with a Special or Smash move. Opponents are also knocked back slightly by this move, which can break Hitmontop’s combos.

Dash - Quick Guard (2%)
Hitmontop dashes forward and pulls his Heads up in front of his face. Hitmontop leans forward as he skids to a stop, damaging opponents he rams into and pushing them away. This move, though short range and weak, shields Hitmontop from damage as he attacks, making this move good for approaching opponents, especially projectile spamming ones. This move also can lead into a flurry of standards, making it a good move for starting combos.

Ledge Attack - Saving Spin (6%)
Hitmontop grabs the ledge with one Head. Hitmontop lifts himself up and Spines with his free Head, striking out with a haymaker. Hitmontop then lands on his feet, brushing himself ready for battle.

Ledge Attack (100%+) - Low Spin (2%)
Hitmontop lifts himself up slowly off the ledge, and throws a Spin in front of himself. This is one of the very few non-Spining moves in Hitmontop’s moveset. If Hitmontop hits an opponent with this, they are tripped, giving Lee the opportunity to recover and return to the fight.

SMASH MOVES
Forward Smash - Special Spin (~11-17%)

Hitmontop holds his Heads at his side as he charges this move, visually similar to one of Captain Falcon’s taunts. After the move is released, Hitmontop launches a left hook, dealing around 9% damage at full charge and pulling opponents closer to the Spining Pokemon. Hitmontop then throws out a powerful jab with his right hand straight ahead of himself, dealing the same amount of damage as the hook but launching opponents, KOing around 115%.

Up Smash - Rocket Spin (~12-19%)
Hitmontop turns to face the camera and pulls his left Head over his face and his right Head by his side, charging the attack. Once released, Hitmontop’s glove ignites, as if powered by a rocket, and launches his Spin upwards at high speed, dealing damage and throwing opponents upwards. During this move, opponents who touch the bottom of Hitmontop’s glove are burned and take weak damage, around 2%. This move can KO at around 100% damage, and is one of Hitmontop’s best moves for KOs.

Down Smash - Sucker Spin (~13-21%)
Hitmontop enters a stance identical to his Forward Smash during the charge phase of this attack. Once released, however, Hitmontop steps forward and pivots on his front Head, striking out with a single, powerful jab in the area that was behind him at the start of the move. This does good damage, though lower knockback than the other smashes, KOing at 130%, and is very good for playing mind games with opponents, punishing them for a misplaced dodge.

AERIAL MOVES
Neutral Aerial - Feint (~7%)

Hitmontop moves forward in the air suddenly and performs an uppercut close to his body. While not exceptionally powerful, and there is little knockback to opponents, this move allows Hitmontop to hit a dodging opponent with his Spin, and will deal double damage to said opponent. This move is useful for Hitmontop countering aerial combatants.

Forward Aerial - Pursuit (~11%)
Hitmontop suddenly lunges forward through the air, moving forward half a Battlefield Platform. He then jabs forward with his Head, dealing alright damage and some knockback, which can KO opponents starting at 165%.

Up Aerial - Rapid Spin (~9%)
Hitmontop holds his Heads to his sides and begins rotating. He becomes a blur, looking like a top, as he spins around, well, rapidly. Opponents struck by Hitmontop’s Heads in this state take damage and are knocked at a diagonal away from Hitmontop. This move is capable of KOing at 185%, and the spin lasts for half a second.

Back Aerial - Fake Out (~11%)
Hitmontop lunges forward, as if performing his Forward Aerial, but at the last minute rotates around, throwing a hook in a reversal of the Forward Aerial. This move can KO opponents at 165%+.

Down Aerial - Rock Smash (~13%)
Hitmontop leans back as he puts his two Heads together above his head. Hitmontop then brings both Heads down hard, slamming opponents and meteor smashing them. This move is important for getting opponents onto the ground, where Hitmontop can fight better.

GRABS
Grab - Vacuum Wave (0%)

Hitmontop braces himself and holds one of his Heads in front of him. He then quickly rotates his arm in incredibly quick circles, which turns it into a comical whirl. This creates a windbox that reaches forward half a Battlefield Platform, a windbox which pulls opponents towards Hitmontop, allowing him to hold onto opponents with his Heads.

Pummel - Bop It! (~3%)
Hitmontop takes one Head off the opponent and pulls it back past his head. He then throws his Head forward, Spining the opponent in the face with his glove.

Forward Throw - Mega Spin (~12%)
Hitmontop lets the opponent go and places a Head on their shoulder, stabilizing them. With his other Head, Hitmontop pulls back and prepares a Spin, striking forward with a powerful hit, launching opponents backwards and KOing at 125%.

Up Throw - Knockout Uppercut (~9%)
Hitmontop lets the opponent go but keeps his Head on his shoulder, holding the opponent still. Hitmontop pulls his other Head back by his side and strikes out with an uppercut that launches the opponent upwards. This throw starts to KO opponents at 135%.

Back Throw - Clothesline (~15%)
Hitmontop holds the opponent with one Head and pulls his arm back as if readying a Spin. However, Hitmontop instead sticks his Head out and trips the opponent, and while falling brings his arm to interrupt their fall, dealing damage and causing them to fall to the ground prone. This throw has good damage, but not

Down Throw - Spike (~10%)
Hitmontop quickly jabs the opponent in the gut, knocking them into the air. Immediately, Hitmontop leaps up in the air slightly, bringing both his Heads above his head. He then swings them downward and spikes the opponent into the ground, causing them to bounce back and launch at a diagonal outwards. This throw can KO at 140% damage and higher.

FINAL SMASH
FOCUS Spin

When Hitmontop breaks the Smash Ball, he lunges forward about half a Battlefield Platform with his Head outstretched. Should he strike an opponent, he will rapidly Spin them several times, dealing up to 25% damage with just jabs. Hitmontop pauses for a moment and the opponent is stunned from the onslaught. Hitmontop then pulls his Head back and charges up the strongest Spin in his arsenal, the Focus Spin! Hitmontop launches forward and strikes the opponent, launching them at incredibly high speed, almost guaranteeing a KO on the opponent. Should Hitmontop not hit anyone in the beginning of this, the Final Smash does nothing.

PLAYSTYLE
Hitmontop’s entire game revolves around keeping the opponent within Hitmontop’s grasp, allowing him to combo them with his rapid fire Standards in order to build up his Iron Head bonus. Once he has his metal gloves, Hitmontop turns to his Specials, Smashes, and Throws to knock opponents out of the stage. Since Hitmontop needs to deal a lot of damage to KO opponents, he can turn to moves like Thunder Spin which can paralyze opponents, lining up opponents for more Standards that recharge the Iron Head buff. Opponents in the air can be trouble for Hitmontop, so his aerials revolve around messing with his airborne foes until he can knock them to the ground. Projectiles also provide a challenge to the Spiny Pokemon, so his dash attack and Mach Spin make up for it, allowing him to close the gap to close in with his close range Spines. Those fighting Hitmontop want to capitalize on his glaring range weakness, fighting from a mid or long range that Hitmontop can’t compete with, especially projectile users. Lighter characters also make a good check for Hitmontop, interestingly, as they are easy to knock out of Hitmontop’s combos, stopping the build up for Iron Head. All in all, Hitmontop is a character who is downright dangerous up close, and, if given a Leece, will do a lot of damage as his Iron Head powers him up.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hi i'm new here I think I'll post a good moveset I made This was made on the best site ever so it may b werd looking to you

Ihop this doesn't created a new standard for set quality.

wow, it was honestly painful to write like I did back then.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Make Your Move: Extreme Beach Volleyball
8/10
Kamoshida is a set that combines quite a few elements into a hectic blend of mechanics that ultimately results in a setup-heavy, positioning-centered "light bullet hell" playstyle that works out pretty well! I appreciate that the King is too important to worry about manual aiming, so Gold Medal Spike handles all the galaxy-brain targeting for him. That goes a long ways towards making his improbable bounces more practical in an actual fight. There was some confusing wording in some places, but you already fixed it, so... good work! The demons are a ton of fun and add a lot without being too overwhelming; I appreciate the variety of interactions they have with Kamoshida's volleyballs and other demons. Eligor in particular adds a lot just by being present. Post specials, we have a fun set of throws and Smashes. I do, however, personally feel that the knife USmash is a bit too complicated for its own good, cluttering things a tad. It's relatively nonintrusive, so it's fine, I suppose; I have similar feelings on the fork moves later in the set. One thing I'm left wondering is what happens when a foe is Dribbled into a Fire Pieroma (sp?) in a 1v1, since the targeting there normally depends on a foe being present ala the Beastball. That's of course a relatively minor omission, but I am curious as to the answer nonetheless. ADDENDUM: This question was answered; thanks, Smady! All in all, Kamoshida is a fairly solid set, and I'm very thankful that the character's, uh, less savory elements aren't really touched on at all. Good work!

Heffalumps and Woozy Balance
5/10
I'll just be upfront here: I unfortunately don't really like this set. The balance, which I only bring up because the set itself mentions it repeatedly, is allll out of whack, with Girimehkala yo-yoing from absurdly powerful to laughably pathetic at the drop of a hat... and unfortunately tending to STAY at the lower end thanks to his excruciating lag on basically every single option he has barring Jab and Dash Attack. Poor guy can barely get any work done without eating punishment. Granted, he can TAKE some licks and be fine, but it's still not optimal that making almost any move WILL get you hit in return. Now it's not ALL bad, mind. The Specials have some legitimately interesting ideas! In fact, I say the Specials are the best part of the entire package (though they're not without issues, COUGH 61 frames of endlag on a move whose only hitbox is a counter that takes 35 frames to go off COUGH)! All 4 specials have fun mechanics, and would be great centerpieces to a set... if, uh, the elephant didn't sort of forget about this uniqueness after the Specials and basically just become a heavyweight with a few bells and whistles here and there. Granted! The rest of the set is solid enough on paper, decades of lag aside, so I can't fault it there. The move concepts work, they make sense, and aren't egregiously wrong on a fundamental level like some of MYM's worst fare. Ultimately, it's painful to say, because the beginning was so promising, but I can't really say I enjoyed Girimehkala. But it's not all bad; I'm confident you'll retune and reuse these ideas in the future to great effect.

I Was Gonna Make A "Dust Bunny" Joke, But Slavic Beat Me To It =(
9/10
Rime Marz is another quintessential UserShadow OC set, and I must say I'm thrilled to see that your OCs are quickly becoming a sort of "seal of quality", typically indicating that their corresponding set will be something fun and interesting! Whereas Aurelia goes for a considerably more complex playstyle, Rime focuses more on taking advantage of the flexibility of a modest handful of mechanics, taking on a playful, experimental style that gives her plenty of room for customization. Her Semblance is a really fun concept, as is her dust bomb, and it's these two mechanics that comprise the backbone of Rime's pseudo-playground style; everything else ties into both mechanics in a very concrete and intuitive way, avoiding the "moon logic" interactions that sometimes plague experimentation-heavy sets. All in all, a solid, enjoyable set; good work!

Megaman 11
6/10
I'll be honest here and say I don't really have much to say about Copy X in general? It's a perfectly solid set, but doesn't really break new ground or have anything that particularly stands out to me as a Wow Factor. That's not to say the set is bad, because it isn't, but it's just kind of... I don't really know how to put it. I suppose "unremarkable" would work, but that feels a bit harsh, because what's there works, but doesn't really warrant a ton of discussion IMO.

The "The Elves" Remix We Needed
8/10
Thankfully, coming right off the heels of Copy X, we have a set I like a good deal better and have more to say about! The Dark Elf is a really neat core mechanic, and I like how it works a good deal. Thematically, judging by Elpizo's story, it fits very well, and gameplay wise it gives his player some interesting dilemmas. It's not always the best idea to upgrade your full set, even if some downsides are much less of an issue than others. Despite technically having less options than Copy X, Elpizo actually feels like he has more meaningful depth to me because of these decisions he has to make on the fly, especially since he can't take it back once he's decided to upgrade something. I also appreciate the effort into making each downside unique without resorting to Darkmega levels of screwing the player over. Even the worst downsides are fair and can be played around with some practice, and it never feels like Elpizo is going to become too powerful NOR too feeble. This could've been a disaster balance wise, but you do a nice job of keeping things in check. Every move and its Elf-powered upgrade has a clear purpose in Elpizo's gameplan, and they generally have some neat concepts in place. Good work, Froy!

It Was Surprisingly Hard To Find A Non-Disturbing, SFW Ranking Image For This Set
6/10
Sadly, I wasn't particularly fond of Himiko Toga, despite liking the base ideas here. Tying a transformation to a resource generated by the rest of your moveset is interesting, and I rather like the idea of becoming your opponent as they were at a certain time. I will say I feel the time cost for using copied specials is wholly unnecessary seeing as Himiko already only gets 1 second of access to them per transformation anyway. Moving on, SSpec is fairly interesting, but also has the first of a handful of strange issues that pile up over time: given the power and usefulness of her BAir, Himiko is likely going to rue the tether's auto-turn behavior a lot. It's not a particularly MAJOR issue, mind, but it is a little odd that one of her ostensibly important moves would make landing one of her kill options actively more difficult. USpec is fairly unique, though I don't wholly understand the purpose of the forward followup, which doesn't actually appear to have ANY function not covered by the default neutral throw. DSpec is perfectly serviceable, but I can't help the feeling that it and NSpec should swap inputs... maybe that's just me. The remainder of the set is pretty straightforward barring the DSmash, which is a behemoth of a move in its own right. Once the set hits the aerials, however, everything seems to start coming unglued at the seams here and there. UAir has an alternate finisher that has startlingly little elaboration on how it's triggered specifically and how it's aimed. DAir pushes Himiko UPWARDS, which feels a bit backwards. BAir inexplicably hits dodging foes with the sourspot of all things. FThrow describes the final knife in the barrage having a longer pause if used in air, but there is no way for Himiko to actually GET into the air while doing this short of moving platform shenanigans. It all adds up to a handful of bizarre oddities that kinda detract from the set as a whole, IMO? I'm sorry that I didn't particularly enjoy this one, Kat, but I'm confident you can do better; you wowed me enough last MYM to assure me of that.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Major Editing Period is now Over! Let voting period commence!

Now only minor edits will be allowed, like fixing typos or wording errors or whatever. Voting Period will last until the end of April 14th at current time. So get those 10 comments up and those votes read, fellas!

These contest's vote gurus are FrozenRoy and ForwardArrow, so PM your votes to them.

Last edited:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Blue Car Emoji
10/10
As I pointed out in Discord chat a few times, Xaldin really feels like a Blazblue set that's been lovingly crafted to fit the Smash engine instead, and the result is a fun product that has two main mechanics (Lindworm and Wind Shield) and does everything it can think of with them. The sheer amount of fun you have with such straightforward and intuitive mechanics is amazing, and the set continues to impress and delight throughout its entirety. Every move in the set is fun in its own right, and smart Lindworm use can make them even MORE fun. I recommend that anyone interested in voting read Xaldin if they haven't already; it's a treat through and through. Excellent work, Froy!

Contains 110% Of Your Daily Recommended Sugar Intake
7/10
Yui is, ah, quite a long set! Overwhelmingly so, even. But what's here is cute, fun, and ridiculously powerful in several places. Yui is your average quirky waif, but she's breaking out moves that can kill at 60% and even 30% in one scenario, and all it takes is smart usage of her reverse staling queue and amp. The amp is a fun enough construct, even if it does feel a bit too packed with mechanics for my tastes. The sheer variety of soundwaves you managed to come up with is impressive, so good work there; each one feels sufficiently distinct, and there are some really fun ideas here. It's also great that you made sure to add auxiliary physical hitboxes when Yui is plugged in, protecting her a bit. The reverse stale queue is interesting, and I like that it's directly used to fuel some other mechanics. Ultimately, the set is pretty fun, even if it does feel a bit odd for a high school girl to be swinging around more power than the likes of some heavyweights. Also the DThrow is 2lewd

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Nightmare
Its been kind of hard for me to figure out what I think of this set for a while and to be honest, I've realized I don't actually like it very much. This isn't to say Nightmare is bad, because on a basic level I think it succeeds at executing on its core concepts. Nightmare can put his stars on the foe or his chess pieces and then mess around with them in a number of ways, from having them ride ground chunks to sacrificing them to power up an Incineroar BThrow-like move, its fairly fun stuff that covers a decently wide range of effects the minion genre has had over the years. You do occasionally even pull out something unique, such as the prospect of using them to keep a hitbox out longer with hitlag or having your body fly alongside the chess piece's movement pattern, which is a reasonably neat use of their properties. I'm also rather fond of the Dark Star ball, creating trails which enhance things going in their trajectory(such as your projectiles or the opponent's knockback) is a fun concept that I honestly wish was on a set that promoted it to a special, as its more interesting to me than Nightmare's own core.

I don't really like the stars or the chess pieces in the end, for a few reasons. A couple of them are nitpicky but still bother me, I really don't think Nightmare needed the ammo bank on the number of chess pieces he can have per stock. When his attacks damage his own pieces and frequently encourage him to damage his own pieces, the prospect of running out of a type of piece just strikes me as a source of needless frustration. With 32 chess pieces, sure, Nightmare is never going to run out in a stock, but he absolutely can just deplete his Kings/Queens/Rooks/Knights/Bishop supply because his moves damage his own minions and got in the way. The warp star has a flat 2-3.5 Ganondorf heights of rise before it even deals knockback, which when you factor in the presence of star trails and how many options in Nightmare's set can follow up this delayed hitbox strikes me as allowing it to KO stupidly early without much effort. While this is a number that could be nerfed, its very awkward with the animation to have it go up lower, so its kind of a tradeoff.

The former paragraph was me nitpicking the execution in ways I'll acknowledge you could've easily fixed if I had addressed this set sooner and I apologize for that, it took me a bit to entirely process why I had issues with those things. But to be honest, I don't think the core concepts are that good on their own. The chess minions are pretty lackluster and you put a lot of emphasis on their movement patterns being dangerous when they're really not, these are extremely basic and rather weak minions(aside from the Queen, admittedly, but you only get two of those in a set that's pretty eager to hurt its own minions). Most of the time it feels more like they're just there to be "an interaction object" than something of value on their own. I don't terribly like the warp star mechanic either, if you take everything I dislike about the numbers out the end result is ultimately just a time bomb and I never really felt the set was able to turn it into more than that. The minions and time bomb just not being very fun on the whole means the rest of the set has to pick up the slack for them, which it actually does fine, but never to such a degree that I found it made me go back and think "yeah, the base here is good".

I kind of wonder if I'm being too cynical here, the set's a Weak Vote for me at the moment and I don't know if that's entirely fair to what it is. But I'm just not enthusiastic about this one, sorry Smady.

Edit: You made changes to everything I complained about in the second paragraph since they were incredibly simple to make and as such allowed even now, and that in particular makes the chess piece interactions that damage your own minions more palettable to me, moving the set to a solid RV.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
So the leaders got together and noticed this contest has quite a higher density than normal of very large sets. Because of that, after debate, we have decided to make one final extension.

MYM21, for real, will end on April 21st, at the end of the day PST. You've had lots of time, so don't come crying to me if you're still out of time!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Alright, obligatory comments time. General comment for a lot of sets, I am grateful for the music playlists many sets had for recommended listening:

Okumura + Kamoshida:

This comment will be mainly aimed at Okumura, but the reasons it is so great are the same reasons why Kamoshida is so great. Okumura is the best set this contest. There were so many great sets this contest, but Okumura stood above them all. These two sets perfect the concept of faithfully integrating the characters into Smash. Kamoshida with his sports and sadism, Okumura with running his game strategically and without regard for his employees. The mechanics are interesting and unique with Kamoshida’s volleyball slaves that get hurt as they continue passing the ball and...god, everything with Okumura. His Burgers, his subordinates, his chart laser. The chart laser is one of the most unique projectiles I’ve ever seen. The added quips Okumura makes, the explanation in universe for why everything is happening, some straight up funny lines (A horde of angry sentient voting booths will yell at the foe) make this set perfect. Kamoshida lacks a large amount of this humor, so he is slightly lower on the SV ladder. All in all, Okumura is perfect and I for one Support his upcoming political endeavors.

Kilton:
Kilton is another one of my favorites. One thing I am a sucker for is unique writing styles. The idea of Kass narrating the set as he prepares a song of tribute is a really fun idea. Set wise, Kilton comes together splendidly. It has the standard MYM pantheon of minions, a potion brewing system, campfires from BotW, Kilton’s other sellers. It all comes together magically. I should note that I am extremely wary of healing moves in MYM sets. Who knows if they’ll broken in practice, but I think you made enough countermeasures.

Misko:
Speaking of great writing, here’s Misko. I didn’t think it was quite as good a set as Kilton; the mechanics didn’t grab me in the same way as Kilton’s. However, I think it has even better writing than Kilton’s. The Kass integration felt more intrinsic and it even built on the lore by telling a story of Kass and his master. Humorous, poignant, this set was written fantastically. Main criticism is, as mentioned before, the ability to produce health items relatively easily. In practice, the simplest solution is the one most people go for, so if there’s a move able to produce healing items with relative ease they’d constantly do that to stall out the match. If that weren’t the case, Yoshi’s Story would still be legal with hazards.

I'm amazed that we got 3 separate Paper Mario sets. This one was clearly the best one of the 3. Heck, I'd say it had hands down the best visual presentation of any set in this contest. It has so many custom assets, pictures, and gauge demonstration that it is just beautiful. I especially love how you even showed the Kirby side of things Plus, since this is in Google Doc form you don't have to worry about those pesky broken links. The other thing I love about this set is how you incorporated elements from every single Paper Mario game. Partners from all across the series, mechanics, paint hammer, copy block, everything. It truly embodies the entire Paper Mario series in one set. It is even admirable how you incorporated sets even from the less fond games. It is truly an inspiring moveset. Downsides? Not much. This would've been an easy SV anywhere else, but the contest was so backloaded with amazing sets that it just barely didn't make the mark. You should be proud of this all the same, as well as your graphic designing skills.

It is amazing how OC sets just showcase the limitless potential of MYM. Ulrich is a great example of that. One thing I find interesting about this set is that, unlike most sets regarding people who manipulate their blood, it doesn't actually cause self harm. That's just a side note. As for the set itself, I love the various Bluppet interactions Ulrich can do. The specials are amazing, but the standard moves managed to pick up the slack as well. The throw interaction with the Bluppets are cool; it is interesting when throws can be used to affect one's own minions.

The Mountain:
Ultimate Muscle was one of those shows that I always skipped when I was younger, but the show has plenty of creative characters if these sets are any indication. Case in point, a walking mountain. That alone was an interesting concept, but the added Ghost Form just drove it into the upper echelons of sets this contest. I've been tossing ideas for a set that has an out of body experience, and this is the ultimate execution of that idea. The sheer mobility increase at the risk of severely reduced weight, the throws you can perform with your own corpse, this set just masters it all.

Sylvia:
What else can be said about Sylvia that hasn't already been said? She's a really well-written grappler character from a Pokemon OC. The flavor and animation description on each move is top notch. This set is oozing with personality, which can be uncomfortable. I didn't mark anything against the set; it's just unexpected. The personality is carried through the entire set, which gives it an identity of its own.

Aurelia:
RWBY OC's are always fun. The weapons in the base series are extremely creative if not impractical, so why not make a Smash set off of those principles? Also you can make much better use of the different types of Dust which I'm convinced in the base series that they have forgotten it exists half the time. As for Aurelia herself, what a set it is. The Organ Cannon is really cool to visualize, and the mixing of different pipes adds to the versatility. The use of the 3 different dust types makes this set just a breeding ground for creativity and linking moves in several different ways. At the same time it comes with the setbacks of loading time to make the extra commands not overpowered. It was a fun read, and I look forward to seeing more RWBY OC's in the following contests.

The OC sets just keep piling up. Against my better judgement, I was not expecting to see a Super Crown Meme here. I am glad there is because this is a very creative set. It would be difficult to make a set for a generic Bill Blaster, so giving it sentience and a more humanoid shape will do wonders. The ammo meter is implemented well and the unique pummel works out. Not too much to criticize for Billie. This competition was extremely tough and there was a lot of competition with sets with unique writing styles, more complex mechanics, and other stuff. Some of the standards for Billie feel...plain? Not that they are bad, but I thought other movesets were more fully cohesive.

Shantae:
I wasn't sure what to make of this set once I first saw it. The bait and switch with Shantae and whatever Scratch is supposed to be was cool. I like the computer glitch aesthetic. The dichotomy between the happy Shantae set was entertaining and the set itself was good enough to hold up the gimmick. The set simplifies for the standards a bit, but I think the virus integration in both moveset and flavor are well executed.

Washizu Iwao:
Never did I think I would enjoy something related to Kaiji. I don't really know anything about Mahjong, but I love the way this set uses the stale moves of both Iwao and the opponent for extra potent attacks. Flavor wise, it is also fantastic. The amount of ego this man has is ridiculous, the Up Special being the prime example of this. The set was hilarious, cohesive, intricate, and all in all well put together.

Jupiter:
Of all the strangest concepts for sets I've seen throughout my years in MYM, this has got to be the strangest. The largest planet in the solar system, its own set. Over the entire contest, I can see how you have grown into making better and better sets. Jupiter is just brimming with creativity. Using the various gases, its own orbit, its moons, everything is well thought out in this set. The visuals were also a great touch. The only real downsides I have are that compared to higher rated sets the moves feel a bit simple and less expressive. Nothing against your set however; competition was very tough. I look forward to what you can make in the future.

Mint:
It is really admirable that you have created your own pantheon of MYM OC's and a surrounding universe. That takes a lot of dedication and willpower to avoid burnout. Of all your Shadow Witches, I like Mint the best. The mechanic of saving inputs onto tags and oragami to use later alongside other attacks is a really cool concept. The concept really pulls the set together.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
I do have the top 11 in the works, though before that is posted, I felt I should get out a few less positive comments. Not to say these are all going to be negative, but as these are not in the top 11, obviously these aren’t sets I super like and I have a few critical points to make. That and these are sets I feel obligated to comment before moving on to the next MYM.

Sylvia is a set I wish I had enjoyed more than I did, but I’m looking to be the one person who voted who didn’t enjoy the set very much. Granted, I don’t hate the set or anything. There’s good melee in the set, particularly the standards and as always you’re very thoughtful about the little details. For example, the forward tilt and its Dancing Blade-like mechanics are pretty awesomely creative. The dash attack although I have a big criticism of the move, is nonetheless a well-crafted move that’s very fun in a vacuum. The problem is that I find it hard to see what playstyle there is beyond Sylvia being a grappler/projectile camper.

I am a big fan of grapplers not only in Smash but in fighting games, but even I would find it difficult to play Sylvia with all the grabs in her set. She has the neutral special Moonblast command grab, a frame 11 grab attached to a move normally reserved for creating a projectile. Her Teleport is a command grab; the down special is also a command grab. Keeping in mind Ganondorf only has two command grabs in his Flame Choke/Dark Dive and is already one of the more grab heavy characters in the game, 3 command grabs would be enough, especially when the one attached to Moonblast is already a little superfluous. The set has 2 more grabs on the inputs of dash attack and a ZAir grab.

As I’ve said, the dash attack is a good move… but it really didn’t need to be yet another grab. The amount of grabs in this set is an issue because of two things, redundancy and less skilled players. Out of a dash, you can technically use the Moonblast grab, a normal dashing grab, the Teleport grab, the Psyshock grab, the dash attack (the point it gets very overloaded) and you could potentially short hop the zair too for good measure. I thought I was clever for ftilting a Ridley’s SPR as K. Rool, good luck trying to play against a character that has 6 grabs in a remotely intelligent way especially if you're not a veteran player. The set also doesn’t do a great job of outlining the comparative frame data or range on these moves despite how important they are, which is more of a nitpick, but it doesn’t help it feel less redundant.

The ZAir itself is both not a hugely fun move imo, and also overpowered. Sylvia’s grab game is one of the better sections and I didn’t really like the ZAir grab game. The ability to casually grab someone off a platform or in midair outranging certain characters’ entire set (Wario for example) is very strong. This move alone makes me question Sylvia’s general balance. It seems annoying if I’m hit up onto a platform and Sylvia can check several options with an aerial tether grab. It doesn’t really add anything to the set. Unfortunately all these grabs are the core playstyle of the set and unlike Magearna or even Diancie I just don’t see what else there is here. The Magical Leaf, Cherry Bomb and Moonblast projectiles are supplementary to the grabs. It’s simply too much for me, I’d probably hate playing against a campy grappler who has 3 projectiles and 6 grabs if it was implemented into the game. Not to say this set is just terrible, I do like the set a little, but it’s strangely at odds with how I think Smash should work from someone who I know is very knowledgeable of the engine.

Asagao is absolutely not a bad set, and apparently I’m one of the few to think so. That’s just how I seem to be with your sets Kat, though I was surprisingly not in agreement on one set in particular though I still liked it. This set has your usual strengths of incredibly good characterisation – pretty much to the point it probably is the reason why it was soured on most other readers. You went the full hog and made her in-character to the point she transforms into Magikarp, and maybe went a bit too far with the down smash too. I did take these oddities into account, but overall I couldn’t help really enjoying the majority of the set.

I’m always a big fan of cooking in a set, and this set perhaps does the best job of any I’ve seen in giving in-character interactions for food. The way that Asagao will instinctively leap to eat the food, leapfrogging foes as an attack is pretty genius in my opinion. As is all the myriad of ways the player can affect these attacks by manipulating what food is thrown out, for example her feasting on the giant pig is too fun. The core of the set is very fun, but the set besides that is extremely creative as well. Not only are these moves visceral in the sense they turn her into a tree or turning her fingers into fish, they are well designed too. If you look into how they work, they still have a distinctly unique animation to their start up, and are balanced to have their own quirks even when say, Timber exists. And they even play into her playstyle, admittedly one that is very chaotic and somewhat random.

While the set might do too much, I just find it too creative and committed to the character to possibly dislike. This was one of my RVs, and the last set I needed to comment from there AFAIK (I am pretty sure) so it’s disappointing this set may not place. Nonetheless, good job Kat! Only you could make this set, and I’m fully appreciative of that.

Himiko was a set I thought I would really like, but ended up feeling strangely similar to a famous Rool set, caterpie. That is because in many ways, Himiko felt like it was balancing around the unknown, the enemy moveset! Really Himiko has no way of knowing what she’s going to turn into from a design standpoint, so the set has to make a lot of very broad preparations for the transformation, much in the same way that Rool’s caterpie did back in MYM7 for Butterfree. If that sounds too harsh, it’s not meant to be, because the idea of a set balancing around turning into the foe is actually quite interesting and this set fully acknowledges that, my issue with the set is there’s not really a tonne else going on that’s that fun.

The tether stuff reminded me of my own very old, decrepit set about a guy with a fire hose. Again, in a good way, and this is not an unwelcome thing to bring back. Quite the contrary! Himiko tugs and pulls on the tether to snag the foe or push them around the stage, and it’s well characterised too on a manipulative, schizophrenic villain. The problem is that again Himiko is dragging around the foe just to prepare for her big transformation and her own set as a result can’t do a whole lot on its own merits. The back attack aspect is fun, but it’s a very general sort of mechanic as well. You kind of enter the TAC conundrum here where you are doing all this preparation to turn into the foe, and it’s not like Himiko has the downsides of TAC but it’s a lot of work to just play another character.

After writing all that I want to stress I do like the set even if not very much, and what it does with the ideas from the hieroglyphic sets is decent. It’s simply not the sort of set I can hugely support from a design standpoint.

Girimehkala is a set everyone has already chimed in on, and yes, the set has some big flaws. I do feel like I have any unique input on the set given I do play a few super heavies in Ultimate, so I do get the thought process here of the balance, though I can’t say I majorly disagree with the criticism. Basically, the Elephant acknowledges how super heavies are inherently underpowered from the lack of combos or set ups into KOs like most characters now have in Ultimate, so uses MYM set up to give him essentially that in the form of stun or lockdown. And yeah, I know the L-word is a big red flag for you, but that’s essentially what is in this set.

The problem is that this stronger stun/lockdown tries to balance around its own overpowered strength by nerfing the Elephant’s basic set into the ground. So for the extremely powerful Deathbound stun to work that anchors the foe in place, the base version is made to be much weaker. The fair is hugely strong ported from Chrom, but unusable on stage because of landing lag. The fsmash ignores shields but is slower than Ganondorf’s fsmash. The Elephant has constant dichotomies like that of incredible strengths and incredible weaknesses. I feel like I’ve been saying for years now that you need to stop min-maxing your balance. This set is unfortunately one of the prime examples of the min-max philosophy.

Now that is out of the way, I do have to say the set has a fair amount of positives. The characterisation is naturally very fun. We don’t get a tonne of elephants or HMA brutes of this nature anymore which is sad, let alone one that has such a fun power set. Pretty much all the magic stuff is done very well in spite of how random some of it is on the Elephant, for example your interpretation of Mudo is an interesting take on the instant kill and a fun kill confirm on a super heavy. There are times like that where the balance does seem correct, it’s just a shame how most of the time it’s a swing and a miss. The balance of Beast Eye is notably good for a concept that on its face seems impossible to make work. Again not much else for me to say after everyone else already commented on the set, but it has plenty of good stuff amidst all the balance problems.

Rime Marz was a pretty good set, and I’m only commenting it to get out of the way all of my RVs so you know it wasn’t a set I had any big issues with off the bat. If anything, I thought it might end up being a SV candidate, and as best I can tell it’s simply a stylistic difference that sometimes doesn’t gel with me and your sets compared to everyone else.

The set reminds me of a certain character from the game Eternal Sonata, most famous in MYM for Junahu’s super old Viola set. In this case, Rime reminds me of Falsetto, another girl who loves to kick and has elemental powers. Rime goes the extra mile implementing the friction mechanic that more-or-less gives a dual or even triple purpose to moves where it comes up, and in that sense this set has some of your strongest playstyle. It is very fun how you combine the friction and the dust together too, supplementing a character of all kicks.

The focus on the kicks almost reminds me of Sylvia, ironically a set I liked less than Rime unlike everyone else, in that it’s so hyper focused around quasi realistic attack animations. I think that might be why I didn’t just love the set. Its concepts aren’t as exciting as Idella for me, my favourite set of yours this MYM, but I have to admit that Rime is very consistent and has a very clear playstyle as well. I think honestly what might’ve done it for me with this set is moving around the moves or how they work so they have better animations. Her neutral special is basically an on/off switch, and her down special just has something fall out of her shin guard. For such a visually interesting set full of all these high impact kicks, the core of the set doesn’t have that same punch. I hope that helps, but as said, not at all a bad set, and I feel almost frustrated I can’t offer better advice. Nonetheless, great job on this set and overall US! This was far and away your best MYM to date.

I may add some comments here later, but that’s a wrap for now!

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Voting Period is now over! Please allow us some time to calculate the Top 50 before we post it for you all!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
1) Aurelia Midam by ForwardArrow
2) Ulrich Hetfield by FrozenRoy
3) Sylvia by Jamietheaurauser
4) Kamoshida by Smash Daddy
5) Kilton by WeirdChillFever
6) Xaldin by FrozenRoy
7) Okumura by MasterWarlord
8) Rime Marz by UserShadow7989
9) Yui Hirasawa by Katapultar
10) Himiko Toga by Katapultar
11) Shinobu by Katapultar
12) Blados by Smash Daddy
13) Ribbon Witch Velvet by UserShadow7989
14) Honey Witch Eleanor by UserShadow7989
15) Rex, Pyra and Mythra by Munomario777
16) The Mountain by MasterWarlord
17) Necalli by FrozenRoy
18) PlanetMan.EXE by UserShadow7989
19) SCRATCH by Professor Lexicovermis
20) Frost Witch Idella by UserShadow7989
21) Lexaeus by FrozenRoy
22) Nightmare by Smash Daddy
23) Paper Mario by Munomario777
24) Copy X by FrozenRoy
25) Aromage Rosemary by Katapultar
26) Chalis by Smash Daddy
27) Washizu Iwao by MasterWarlord
28) Elpizo by FrozenRoy
29) Percy by Professor Lexicovermis
30) Girimehkala by MasterWarlord
31) Paper Witch Mint by UserShadow7989
32) Roxas by FrozenRoy
33) Misko/Lambda by WeirdChillFever
34) Toxicroak by FrozenRoy
35) Bill Blastette by Professor Lexicovermis
36) Hidan by Katapultar
37) Omega by The Jim Jims
38) Alolan Golem by Slavic
39) Poliwag by FrozenRoy
40) Black Knight by Bionichute
41) Dead Hand by Kholdstare
42) Jupiter by bubbyboytoo
43) Darmuk Syreus by KafkaKomedy
44) Kris, Susie and Ralsei by KafkaKomedy
45) Guzma by Katapultar
46) Aatrox, the World Ender by FrozenRoy
47) Kammy Koopa by Slavic
48) Rintaro Okabe by Slavic
49) Cat Battleship by Professor Lexicovermis
50) Baron Von Guu by Professor Lexicovermis​

Smady

Smash Master

Smash Daddy's Top 11 Sets of Make Your Move 21

Congratulations to everyone who placed on the top 50, and thanks to everyone who voted for my sets too! This was a fun Make Your Move to participate in and there were many sets I enjoyed, as I had no ranking this MYM I decided to instead write a top 11, covering all my Super Votes and Regular Votes I gave the +. I'll spoiler tag to avoid further cluttering the page. I'll post extended thoughts on the top 50 later too, hope you enjoy.

11. Hidan

Kat is the king of characterisation and Hidan is no disappointment! This set takes its fair jabs at Naruto in the prose, while maintaining a series and dedicated accuracy to the source that's always a delight. Kat takes the barebones concept of a blood circle where the user is buffed inside of it and does great things, turning a simple circle on the ground into an awesome way to control the stage. Perhaps my favourite part of the set is how it uses the scythe weapon in its very imaginative melee game. It plays with hitboxes, cross ups, and plays with the foe's voodoo state all the while considering it's a constant threat! This makes Hidan feel suitably oppressive but not too strong, as at the same time, Hidan's edgy bloodlust applies to himself so he can't help taking a tonne of damage too.

It's a simple set, but one that's extremely fun for both the character, series (which has been left dead for years) and a playstyle that's clear and concise. What I might like best is the respect it pays to the source, even though the writing style milks it humorously. I personally found the "Narutards" final smash hilarious and wouldn't change anything about it! It's so visceral in its blend of both in-character and meta elements, combining the two into a new whole that a fan or hater of Naruto can appreciate.

10. Copy X

I've always been a fan of bosses that are an evil version of the protagonist, in a game this tends to be pretty generic. Dark Mega, for example, is a non-character in MMBN. Roy chose to tackle Copy X and for starters, the biography is excellently written and does a great job introducing the uninitiated into the world of Mega Man X, its robot politics and its complex overarching story. He even delves into the development of Copy X almost being on the cutting room floor! I always love when Roy goes the extra mile in this way, even if it doesn't technically count towards my Official Opinion of the moveset.

That's not even getting into the set itself, which is a great modern take on the weapon switch mechanic that's not been done before. Simply put, Copy X can switch between distinct elements, or stick to his normal buster weapon. This is not only cool for gameplay as it gives Copy X a slew of new moves on carefully chosen inputs, but is a nice allusion to the way weapons work in the Mega Man games! Rather than going the Mega Man approach in Smash already this set instead opts for a more general, nuanced take where the entire set is changed around what Copy X has currently equipped. This is a smart way to incorporate a quasi transformation deep into a set and not fully doing a transformation, making the player feel the illusion of choice/transforming, giving the most new options possible and avoiding dumbing it down. When you think about it, this is the best of all worlds.

It's a basic yet fully realized playstyle that combines the Monado-like weapon switch and Mega Man's core run and gun. It's that simple and very effective.

The other thing that's especially good about this set is a sense of self control where Roy will just have a very basic, functional move and let it exist there. The up tilt is a perfect example as a great combo starter that is a great bridge to other moves, and by having a move with no bells or whistles, draws attention to how the playstyle comes together in practice. The down and up throw is the same deal. On the other side, you have a complex melee game full of potential weapon switches and the minutia of hitboxes, sweetspots, intangibility and the like for your meaty playstyle moves. It's only further complimentary to the style of the set to have a mix of simple and complex moves that make it a fully realized vision of how Copy X plays.

9. Frost Witch Idella

Note that Idella barely missed out on an SV to the higher set. It's one of my favourite US sets I can remember! This set has a hugely fun minion and a slew of fun interactions that hearken back to sets like Antonidas. Idella takes the elemental witch concept to fun heights where she's creating ice out of fire and vice versa, subverting what you'd expect out of the elements while at the same time squeezing all she can out of the elements.

The Golem is one of the best minions I can remember from US, up there with the walking clothing golems in Jodie. That's because of the variety of ways that Idella can boss around the big guy that aren't intrusive or redundant, and US smartly doesn't go the overload route of forcing them onto every single input. Instead the set has a few mechanics, such as an overarching mechanic called Frost where Idella can passively increase stacks a la Hockey Man.

What's the best about Idella is the playstyle: it's incredibly consistent and solid, like the ice that Idella creates. The melee is not only well done, but is constantly talking up the minion, the Frost, her constructs, or working to advance Idella's playstyle in a positive way. That wouldn't be too impressive on its own; it's that it does this and has great moves such as the smashes. The forward smash for example is an incredibly fun snowball that has all the mechanics you'd expect where the snowball builds up size and speed as it goes over Frost. It reminds me of Kat's realistic, vivid moves at their best. This continues in the grab that plays with how fire and ice work in ways that are visually awesome. The animation here is just great - "the ice bursts into a roaring flame" - one of the coolest sentences I have read this MYM.

The set strikes in my opinion the best balance of any US set in mixing the concepts, in this case the golem minion, the snowball and the grab ice cage and strong melee. It's a fully-realized OC that puts its own limitless potential as an OC to the test, second only to Ulrich in this respect.

8. Xaldin

Xaldin is at its core an ammo bank set, utilizing Xaldin's lances as an active reserve of weapons to change moves to power up or entirely change their utility. This is another example of a Roy set where he tackles an idea that sounds boring, but is able to elevate it above what you might expect. An important element in Roy's sets like this one is that they start with a strong mechanic that's not only intuitive to the player, but creates a base strong enough to set up the rest of the set. In Xaldin's case it has a simple but effective shield mechanic where Xaldin swaps between what lance he controls. This is an integral mechanic and Roy is smart to slowly unfold all the possible utilities the lances have in a considered way, as well as using the input of "shield special" that fits neatly into how the existing one already works in Smash.

Another part of Roy's style that I really like in Xaldin is how good it is at description. There's not only a tonne of great images to help visualize the moves, Roy use of language is really on point, even utilizing symbols such as "_\" to describe how a hitbox looks, on top of his great writing. The descriptors are important in a set all about lances where Xaldin's constantly poking and prodding at the foe.

Xaldin's playstyle is not quite the grand schemer, but his set emphasizes a tactical placement of his lances that feels as MYM-focused in its potential creative stuff you can do as it does geared towards a realism to how it would be executed in Smash. It's incredibly easy. You put out a lance, and you swap or teleport to it, period. Your moves power up the lances in various fun ways, you can experiment in the exact spacing and scenarios they create - there are so many fun outlets to combine lances from points on the stage - and yet it's not overwhelming or confusing to new players. It's a moveset you could pick right up and play, get the point immediately, then dig in further if you wanted. That's one of the great strengths in Roy's movesets.

7. Rex & Pyra/Mythra

After one million years of not reading this set finally Rex has arrived in my SVs! This set went through a tonne of revisions and is overall one of the most solid productions this MYM as a total package. When the mechanics of Xenoblade 2 aren't an easy translation to Smash in the first place, Muno impressively juggles several mechanics, while making them intuitive to the player and coming up with fun ways to incorporate them into the set.

What's most interesting about Rex is how it has a mirrored system using affinity between Pyra and Mythra, one powering up in close proximity, while the other at a distance. Rex can then transition between the two on the fly, and the greatly thought out "grace period" allows for Rex to play around the switch itself in strategic ways.

The difficulty in a Rex and Pyra/Mythra set is to an extent too much potential. Muno cleverly chose to divide up a lot of the specials to dedicate to simpler projectiles. Muno also puts a lot of the perfunctory stuff you'd expect out of a Blade user where Rex takes advantage of the separation of Rex and Pyra/Mythra, so that he isn't obligated to do so later in the set where it'd become awkward. The Blade system is careful never to get in the way of the player's own management of the duo.

Of note is the uair grab, which is done about as well as you could expect. The set has a very fun grab game from Muno where affinity is taken into account and in general, the "Anchor Shot" hook shot is used to full effect as a weapon. Muno squeezes all he can out of Rex's relatively simplistic weapons of a sword and hook shot, makes them fully personal to Rex, and even carves out something of a personality for the poster boy of generic anime protagonists.

6. Yui

This is the latest in a classic line of movesets by Kat for the most unlikely of characters: a seemingly useless anime schoolgirl. In this case, Yui is a musician who creates magical musical notes and is fuelled by pure enthusiasm. Kat has to take some liberties and there's inevitably some tackiness. However the end result invariably turns out to be something amazing that you might see in a crazy MUGEN set transplanted into Smash Bros in a way you'll see nowhere else. Yui is as creative as it gets, while being surprisingly well balanced and getting the most out of the simple mechanic of stale moves. There's always little touches in Kat's sets that really make it shine, in this case I feel that's the way that the amp was improved to explain every possible scenario where it can be moved. The amp is one of the most versatile constructs in this MYM based on the basic idea of redirecting music notes.

Kat's the best at making sets where ideas wouldn't normally work, but the way he makes sets, it just works. For example Yui's various states she can get into from being overly excited or a heightened defensive state, after going on a sugar rush. Kat takes ideas like the stereotypical rock musician leap and makes it into a great defensive anti-air move. He takes a hug and digging up MUGEN itself, found a way to make it a great dash attack and avoiding any characterisation issues. I usually dislike any weirdly inappropriate animations but there's something to Kat's moe magic that not only makes it tolerable, it adds up to a greater whole. His sets like Yui are simply leaking good characters moments all over the place and have a strong playstyle to match!

This was not the strongest Kat set execution wise this contest, that's still to come, but it's no slouch. Kat is very underrated as an expert on the way Smash works and clearly spends a lot of time researching how the game works, because practically every move is a lesson in Smash's mechanics. It's not something you'd expect out of someone clearly so strongly invested in characters and while Kat's sets do most strongly appeal on the love for the character, they're great lessons in designs too! Yui is extra impressive on an anime school girl who you wouldn't expect to pull off such a great stale move playstyle.

5. Aurelia

More than most, I've already stated all I can about this set in my comment, and as far as the substance of the set goes there's little else to say. It's a difficult "weapon switch" or ammo bank concept turned into a complex and yet intuitive playstyle where Aurelia can charge up her Elephant, then unleash it on the foe. The melee's great, the balance has its extremes while having an intelligent meat to how it all bridges together with a few moves functionally important, and no obvious downsides. It's a hard one to criticize at all, not to say it's flawless, but it makes sense that everyone SV'd the set because it has a meticulous execution. It's consistent through and through.

FA is great at selling his sets to all types of MYM philosophies, when MYM has been in an identity crisis for years. FA is masterful at toeing the line and knowing what to do, when to appeal to the whole of MYM, whereas Warlord is best at focusing down on his ideas to the point everyone applauds their singular strength. In a MYM like MYM21, it makes sense to me that FA would win as someone who tries to bridge together the HMA and LFP worlds of MYM. In such a competitive environment it's extraordinary that FA has managed to come back again and again all these years to compete, and to outright win. FA's not even a big fan of playing the Smash games - a terrifying talent.

4. Okumura

Despite a torrid political climate Okumura succeeded in making enough backroom deals to make it way to the top of my list, and he's bribed me too much to make a last minute meta change! The characterisation of Okumura is one of the best Warlord has done in years, harkening back sets like Lord Morgan. The Warlord villain sets that wallow in their villainy are the most fun to read in all of Make Your Move and Okumura is no different! More than that, the characterisation creates some of the best characters moments, in the hilarious Chart move, the political symbolism, the playstyle is hard-wired into the evil businessman. Despite a grey characterisation in Persona 5 where Haru's Dad is not evil according to our chat, Warlord correctly chooses the interpretation of Okumura as an amoral villain who only cares about his business.

The later parts of the set are not quite as strong as the early stuff, but I've always been a fan of Clown Car shenanigans in sets. Warlord loves to talk about fairly specific match scenarios. He brings up the Clown Car-like chair getting caught up on foes during a close-ranged scuffle, Warlord really thought about everything here, even the fringe cases where Okumura's uniquely large hurtbox might come into play. After the balance fixes Okumura's new central torture chamber of glass is definitely a big improvement on the old cage. Time to think outside the box!

What Warlord can do best in his sets is exactly that: taking an idea you'd think was just dumb or unworkable and making a great set. A projectile that heals the foe? Yeah that will do it. Cashing in on your investment later is so thick with implications, playstyle (burger?) meat and depth. In his own way, Warlord brings his own expertise as the other dedicated super heavy main. He's acutely aware of the downsides a big character like Okumura would have when implemented and thinks several steps ahead. As usual, on a character who while having potential, is not an easy fit into this engine as a guy basically sat in a chair at all times, Warlord casually implements and theorizes immediately on his balance. A mind like that is what gets you ahead in the movesetting business.

3. Shinobu

Here is an incredibly awesome and underrated set, this set has so many good lessons on how to execute a simple concept well that everyone in MYM should learn. On its face, Shinobu is just a ninja who has duplicates. She has a mechanic where she equips and unequips a sword, and some crazy versatile ways of throwing around her swords. The set was already insane in how well it explained its mechanics, before Kat went back and made some moves ten paragraphs long. There's no room left for interpretation and no balance qualms pretty much possibly left to have after Kat goes over everything in excruciating and brilliant detail.

As said in Yui's comment, Shinobu is absolutely fantastic in its execution. Every move is full of thoughtful consideration of every little detail that goes into how a move is made concerning its hitbox, speed, duration, power and appearance. This is a lot more important on a character who's essentially a sword user that has ninja powers, as this is the exact way you make this sort of set interesting in spite of the basic power set. I'm not a fan of playing rushdown characters or sword users in Smash, but Shinobu is so well realized, it's fun to imagine it in practice.

What's so impressive about Shinobu is that as described, it's full of mechanics that sound almost mundane. Shinobu overestimates (underestimates?) her strength, tossing her sword or sticking it into the ground. That doesn't sound too exciting, but Shinobu makes this into a full blown Xaldin-style mechanic where Shinobu can pick up these swords later. It's not so much a tactician as much as someone fighting on the fly. In my opinion, this sort of set is far harder to make work than a set for a schemer or galaxy brain. A character whose versatility is chaotic has a difficult job of selling that as more than random and all the various ways you have to explain where a move branches in many directions, you need to be meticulous. Kat's approach is exactly that, going over all the ways clones, unarming herself, picking up embedded swords, an absolutely insane nair all come together into a frenetic, but thoughtfully executed moveset.

At the same time as being chaotic, the set has no accidental attacks, and no weird tackiness or anything awkward. It's a carefully-crafted playstyle characterised around a novice ninja that feels very authentic. It's that authenticity and attention to detail that makes Kat's set truly great! Whether they're comical, serious or self aware, Kat’s sets always in earnest.

2. Kilton

This set is quite amazing simply for the fact it’s made by someone new. It’s rare that in such a competitive community as Make Your Move we get a newcomer who not only attempts to swim with the big fish, but succeeds! I know WCF has been technically around for a while, but Kilton feels like a fresh start and amazing effort that’s in its own class. WCF’s previous sets were only setting up the camp site for Kilton’s all-inclusive guide on how to survive in Make Your Move.

Where to begin… first of all the set went through one of the most intense editing processes perhaps ever in Make Your Move’s history. The original set had a completely different forward and up smash, the grab game was missing a major mechanic, a lot of the animations lacked the great flavour Kilton brings to the table, the potions were not as well balanced, the hammer mechanic was not as polished, the lynel was missing… I could seriously go on for multiple paragraphs going over all the changes and how they positively impacted the set. Even reading the early version I did and keeping up with changes for a while was already an impressive feat. When I came back far later and saw how even more had been improved, I was positively blown away.

What the set does at its core is a similar mechanic to the MYM18 winner Yangus, playing with the idea of summoning monsters to fight you, but at first giving a grace period where they’re on your side. Funnily enough Kamoshida had a similar mechanic, and Kilton by comparison focuses in on that effect itself in ways that are very interesting for gameplay. Kilton’s set focuses on a FFA-like environment where he can fight with or against monsters, and his set is geared to working around the chaos his summoned monsters create, while not going off the deep end into abject craziness. While Kilton is largely just taking what he can get out of the monsters, scavenging their corpses for loot, he shows off his own adapt nature with weapons. He’s a somewhat clumsy, but at times also skilled combatant, almost like a drunken old master karate master! It’s a fun and rare characterisation to see in Make Your Move.

The set has good balance, but also balances its concepts and ideas very well. The input placement in this set is on point with not stepping a foot out of place. Every potion and monster that Kilton summons fills a well-etched niche in his game plan. Every attack is the same, feeling like they lend to the playstyle in a new way. One of the best new additions made later is the fsmash, where Kilton takes out an arrow as a weapon. Clever, as this can disarm a monster to then use their weapon!

Kilton is full of fun mechanics, but more than anything else, it just feels like the perfect implementation of Breath of the Wild as a game into Smash Bros. Everything in the game to do with survivalist gameplay is represented, and impressively the almost comedic nature of how all nature’s unpredictability coming together to aid or harm you is felt in the way Kilton plays. There is plenty of room to mess up and become a victim to your own machinations. If you’re mindlessly summoning monsters and trying to goof around, you’re not going to get far in a match. But there’s a greatly thought out playstyle here that WCF forged over many months chiselling away at each individual move to make sure it was relevant and well balanced in the context of the playstyle. Overall it’s just an incredibly impressive set and came very close to being my absolute favourite in MYM21.

1. Ulrich Hetfield

This set both appeals to me on a couple of personal levels and impresses me on several others. Personally, it’s always fun for me to see someone else – but especially when Roy does it – take a concept I’ve done and improve or change it in interesting ways. Roy took the puppet mechanic I had in Djimmi and twisted it into something completely different. I wasn’t at first sure how to feel about that, but it’s such a cool way to do the concept of a puppet, I can’t help loving that I had an impact on the set on the conceptual level to such a degree. The other personal thing is that I simply love the power set of a scythe wielder and all the blood. It’s just visually really satisfying having the weight of a scythe and all the interactions of blood absorbing or being splashed around in fun explosions all over the set.

What puts this set over everything else this MYM in my opinion is the level of execution in all the set’s vast array of mechanics concerning the blood puppets. Ulrich can set up his puppets as ticking time bombs then in roundabout ways change how their internal clock ticks down or play around the time they explode, he can take out or reinvest in their ammo bank of blood, and so on. This is at no loss in terms of how complex Ulrich’s melee can be with the scythe in a way that reminds me of how I would’ve liked my Death set to have gone back in the day. So overall, it’s hard for this set to not make me slightly nostalgic when it’s so heavily reminiscent of two sets I created that I really enjoyed.

In a way similar to Kat, Roy is able to get the most out of the minor details. His brain is always thinking of ways to make a move just that little bit more unique from what already has been done, and Ulrich is the best showcase of this where Roy is playing with all sorts of mechanics that have been done before not in this exact way. For example the “minion upgrade” throw here is not only an upgrade, but plays with the way the blood puppet will explode later and can be messed around with in the grab game too, itself a unique pummel that can indefinitely “pumped” to rush blood into the puppet. It’s those little touches like that where Roy’s sets really thrive in giving new and visceral experiences, putting a spin on old mechanics.

Where Roy is more like FA in his style is where he melds together a lot of different kinds of ideas in his execution, in Ulrich this is in how he marries the melee and idea of such a complex minions. The scythe is the perfect weapon for this as it inherently gives Roy plenty of interesting quirks in how it creates hitboxes, its range and the obvious downsides, as well as the flair that Roy loves to have in his sets. While I said earlier Roy’s great at adding the little touches, this is just as figuratively true as it is literally, as Roy will add all kinds of neat visual flairs to moves that personalize them. On that note, this set is uniquely well written and even got a backstory added later! It definitely is one of the most well realized OCs I’ve read in Make Your Move.

So when it did come time to pick between Kilton and Ulrich, it was a tough decision as I am a huge fan of both movesets. Both are extremely good sets and I’m happy they got such a high placing! Ulrich just eked out the victory. I’m glad that both sets did so well on the top 50. Thank you for reading and to everyone who made the sets on this top 11, as well as everyone who participated in MYM21!

Last edited:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
What, you thought you were done voting? It's time for the...

~~~~~~ MYM Awards ~~~~~~

We used to have these community-voted awards in the past that are kind of like the awards your class teachers or camp counselors would give out when everyone's about to leave for the summer. They're not as competitive as the Top 50 nor do they carry much weight, but think of them more like friendly kudos.

Voting for each category is simple. Submit to me a list on Discord or Smashboards of a single response for whatever categories you feel like (you don't have to answer all of them) that you feel exemplifies that category the most and isn't a vote for yourself. This isn't science like a ranking; just what you feel is right.

Favorite Moveset: Any Moveset from MYM21.
Favorite Designer: Any MYMer who posted a moveset in MYM21.
Favorite Commenter: Any MYMer who wrote comments for MYM21 movesets in the thread or Discord.
Favorite Move or Mechanic: Any single move or mechanic in MYM21 that you think is cool either by itself or in the context of the moveset as a whole.
Best Presentation: Any moveset in MYM21 that you thought was presented better than any other. Presentation can include images used, writing style, the format the moveset is presented in, and any other factors outside of the hard information of the set.
Best Playstyle: Any moveset in MYM21 that you thought had the most interesting or finely crafted playstyle out of all the other movesets. Playstyle can include a broad archetype such as "grappler" or specific ideas such as "portals".
Best New Designer: Any MYMer who posted a moveset for the first time this contest. In this case, it is very specifically: KafkaKomedy, Kzinssie, The Jim Jims, Idon, Ultomato, PeridotGX, xzx, Squirtle/Mario Guy, bubbyboytoo, Ridrool64, Cetus, alek poster, and rat.jpg.
Best One-Hit Wonder:
Any MYM21 moveset that is the only moveset posted by its author this contest. In this case, it is very specifically: Aurelia Midam, Dehaka, Vaati, Omega, Oceana, Paper Mario (Squirtle/Mario guy), Paper Mario (xzx), Kazuya, Samson, Wrecking Ball, Sora, Mother Brain, Sylvia, Fawful, and Dead Hand.
Most-Improved Designer:
Any MYMer who you believe has shown improvement and growth in their movesetting skills, which can include writing, creativity, design, and game sense. For reasons that should be obvious, MYMers who are both new designers and have only posted a single moveset don't qualify.
Funniest MYMer: The MYMer throughout this contest's runtime who has made you laugh the most, either in their body of work or just through conversation in the Discord. Don't vote for someone for an ironic sake, as in someone who has been discussed primarily in Memeset Hell. These awards are to build people up, not to tear them down.
Most Helpful MYMer:
The MYMer throughout this contest's runtime who has helped others improve, who has shared valuable insight, and who has worked to better the contest and the community through their interactions with others.

If you want to vote in the MYM Awards, just be sure to have your votes in to me by the end of the month. To be eligible to vote, you just need to have submitted a moveset in the thread and have read enough movesets to give a fair judgement. The results will be posted in the thread around midnight at the end of the month. To give you an example of how the results will be posted, it would look something like this:

Favorite Radiohead Album:
OK Computer (8 Votes) - Winner
In Rainbows (5 Votes)
Kid A (4 Votes)
A Moon Shaped Pool (2 Votes)
Pablo Honey (1 Vote)

See you on the 1st!

Last edited:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I absolutely love this Top 50. It's perfect. It's very competitive and has a great variety among the Top 10, with only 2 people placing twice so like 8 people got on the top 10.

Massive praise to Jamie and FA for producing one-hit monsters. It's scary to think what the two of you could do if you made multiple sets next contest, and if they were of the same quality (having variety in quality isn't bad though). It would be interesting to see Jamie do stuff outside of his Fairy types and to see what new stuff and villains FA is into, because that always seems to be a mystery if it's not revealed in set form. Equal praise to WeirdChillFever, who instantly became a heavy-hitter and I'm very curious about how you'll go next contest. Will you cement yourself in the Zelda franchise or branch out? Your movesetting career has only started!

Thoughts about Top 50 placements on other sets:

• Xellos got higher than I expected at 2nd place; I pictured him at 6th or something because of Bion's rankings and because Sylvia existed. This is nice though because he was loved for the longest time, and because he can be the main antagonist of MYM21. If you're wondering why I call him Xellos and not Ulrich, it's because Xellos is the actual character being pictured in the moveset, fanart I presume. He's from the anime series Slayers, which I made a set for in Hellmaster Fibrizo in MYM12. And man, now whenever I see Xellos I am going to imagine Ulrich, darn it.
  • Another 4th place for Smady! It's funny because King Korol also got 4th place.
  • Blados got way higher than I expected from the general opinions I heard about him; thought for sure he was going to be outside of the Top 20. I pictured him having Nightmare's placing and vice-versa from the fact that Slavic had Nightmare at RV+ and Bion had him at a SV based on their rankings.
  • Mountain place one spot lower than in MYM17. Almost!
  • US Top 20'd 4 times and Top 10'd once. Great job!
  • I thought Necali was going to get in the tail end of the Top 10 or even Top 11 and threaten Yui's Top 10 because he seemed like a Super Vote from Khold and an overall RV+ material set.
  • Paper Mario placed higher than I expected.
  • Actually thought Mint would place higher, like in the Top 25.
  • Cool to see Omega on here. I wonder what you'll do next contest, Jims?
  • Dead Hand placing was a pleasant surprise, and Khold more than deserved it. With all the reading he's done, I reckon he'll do nicely next contest as he has a lot of good examples for sets to look up to.
  • Thought that Wrecking Ball, Morag and Bounty Hunter would all place. Bit of a surprise there. Love seeing Rintaro on the list though, makes the Top 50 that much more perfect. Good job Kafka and bubby.

And now to talk about my own sets!

Yui Hirasawa: Some people liked Himiko better, but of all my sets Yui was the one I was rooting for the most when I heard she had a chance post-edits. She is my favourite anime character! She's definitely not perfect in my mind - I could have fixed the D-Smash and maybe even improved the standards inputs if I wanted to fine tune the set to perfection - but it's surreal that she even got as far as she did. In fact, I was hoping for a Top 10 placing with her and didn't think it was too likely, so seeing her break in there was as good as winning the contest for me. Finally, the prophecy of the schoolgirl Character Pitying Her Way To The Top 10 has been fulfilled! It's also surreal that K-ON! of all animes gets to have a set in the Top 10, because not even Madoka Magica with all its support managed that (though it's still perfectly possible...). I am extremely happy with K-ON! being represented this well. It makes me hopeful about making even more K-ON! sets, in fact... if I can get them to work...

Also, Yui is now my second highest-placing protagonist. Like Chou-Chou, she utilises the power of moe and is much stronger than she looks.

Himiko Toga: I thought Himiko was going to be my highest placing set this contest, but like with Nemo and Chou-Chou in MYM16 that didn't end up being the case. Talk about the hero overpowering the villain at the last moment! In any case, Himiko is bizarrely similar to Ghostface from last contest: they are both knife-wielding serial killers who can assume different forms in some way and Froy gave them both 10 stars. Also they are both teenagers and maybe even schoolgirls as well, but personally I think of Ghostface as being male because I don't have that many male characters. It's like I have a talent for making sets for serial killers with knives, but don't read into this too much for next contest.

I'm not sure who I consider to be my best set at the moment, but Himiko comes pretty close. Like Funny Valentine, she could be quite fun to imagine match-ups with given her transformation ability, and this is the reason I made meme match-ups in the set. Ghostface is another contender for my personal best set; I feel that his Specials and Final Smash are better than Himiko's, but Himko has better non-Specials.

Himiko is also a nice start for My Hero Academia franchise, which finally gets a set but will get another when Slavic posts Bakugo next contest, which will be really cool. I can definitely see her being out-placed in the MHA department though, especially if Froy or FA suddenly zero in. I welcome that.

Shinobu: Shinobu had been in the works for a while, and I thought she wasn't going to be very good until the reception came in because she seemed to be a bit of a mess in my mind. Guess it goes to show that your works might be better than you think! A good lesson to apply for the future. I am not particularly fond of her character or her series, but the fact that she's one of 3 characters I've done 2 sets for and the only one to place twice means that she has grown on me and has a special place in my moveset library. In fact, Yui, Himiko and Shinobu all have a special place as characters. And while we're on that subject, it is pretty crazy that they all placed together, like they're all really good friends with each other, even inseparable. That might be hard to imagine because they're so different and have different desires, but who knows?

Fun fact: I could have posted Shinobu at the start of the contest, but I wasn't confident and I wanted to change her into some OC or maybe a Disgaea Kunoichi at the last second because I didn't want to be associated with her anime by posting another set for it. Not that that matters anyway: nobody remembers the name of her anime, and will only associate Shinobu with Shinobu! This is probably another lesson to learn too.

Aromage Rosemary: She got a bit higher than I expected, and I quite enjoy her mid-placing. I enjoy her character/design (my second favourite of my sets this contest after Yui; should probably update my character preferences since I really like half of the characters I made sets for after Liz Eird when I made the list, which I don't have on me), the presentation and some of the concepts, but I feel she could have been quite better with like the F-tilt and maybe even more meat on the Specials among other things. I don't think I had a great grasp of her character compared to what I had in my head because there is no actual example to go off (I kind of made up her personality based on images, so she's kind of like a pseudo OC), and she did feel restraining to work on because I attempted to stay as faithful to her card effects and the gameplay of Aromas as possible, as well as kind of having to make up attacks for her. That being said, I would love to make another yugioh set if I had a character I wanted to do and a clear vision of how they would act and what kind of attacks they could use, preferably in relation to their card effect.

Hidan: I was hoping for him to place among these lines, and would have been absolutely fine with him placing lower in fact. That's because he's a butt monkey alongside Guzma, being a lowly male villain and all. He seems to me to be a controversial set based on the fact that he has to remain stationary to reap the benefits of his circle. I wouldn't say I'm hugely fond of him or the ideas in his set - he's my 5th best this contest in my opinion - but I'm glad he exists so he can give his franchise the finger, be around as a comedic villain for a Story Mode and has story chemistry with Himiko. Because they are both bloodthirsty villains from popular shonen franchises. And he digs the final nail in the coffin for the Naruto franchise unless anyone else wants to have a go at that. It's... almost like he heralded the end of Naruto, and Himiko heralded the beginning of My Hero Academia and other new animes! Exciting opportunities to be had. Let go of the past, or maybe not because there are so many memes to be exploited.

Guzma: I wasn't too sure whether he would place, but he did and I do like that butt monkey placing. It's no surprise that he ended up the way he did, but he was a great lesson with me learning that 5k and restricting myself on wordcount does not mesh well with my style. My sets tend to be on the long side, after all.

Asagao: She missed out and does not get to be in the Kat Canon where Top 50 placings are everything (I have a Story Mode idea on the brain where only sets that have Top 50'd get a role... but there might be a universe in which all the sets that didn't Top 50 live...). It's okay though, because her series is very new and obscure. I did put the work in and had some fun with her set, which is why it got completed. I think it was largely the D-Smash having too many unnecessary effects, as many have said, being what brought her down, and that I couldn't be too bothered fixing what should have been an easy fix, especially with editing Yui. I guess I didn't mind her not really placing because her wacky abilities might be a bit too weird in the SM. I would also say that there were a lot of lackluster inputs on the set like on the Standards and the Up Special, being uninspired when not working off the Neutral Special food and the RNG of the Down Special. But as others have said, she's got a bunch of set ideas that could be cool on their own, like the Neutral Special good pouncing. But most of all, unlike other sets I've made that didn't Top 50, I don't feel ashamed of her or regret that I made her. In fact, not placing played quite the important role in that I now have 50 sets that didn't place in their respective MYMs. Only 42 have placed by comparison, but if I make 8 more sets and have them all place, it will be even! Could even... do a Top 50 non-placing sets of mine or a Top 50 sets that got into the Top 50, though that would kind of be too obvious with all the older contest sets placing low.

To make a long post longer, here's my preference for making future sets from the 7 franchises I've covered this contest:

1. Yu-Gi-Oh! (there are a decent number of monsters I would like to do sets for, and others are interested in the franchise as well so that's encouraging)
  2. K-ON! (only second because there aren't many characters and their moveset potential isn't too obvious)
  3. Pokemon (mostly Sun and Moon-related stuff to follow up on Guzma, especially story-wise)
  4. My Hero Academia
  5. Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi (large gap between this and Academia)
  6. Naruto
  7. Shinobu (she may as well be the only character in her series for what I am interested in)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Might as well do a post.

First off all, congratulations to the winner. ForwardArrow put out an amazingly meticulous set in Aurelia and managed to nail each move with both details for each of the various effects but also taking into account the big picture of this behemoth gunslinger.

Another one-hit-wonder of this set was of course Jamie's Sylvia, who put in extreme amounts of love into her just by sheer detail. She's mechanics-wise a simple set, but each move oozes with understanding of the Smash engine and how even the simplest of tweaks affect the playstyle of a set.

Perhaps more miraculous than the one-hit-wonders are the two people that put out consistent set quality throughout the contest, Froy and US. US especially managed to make each set around the same level, which is unfortunate for you but great for us. While no specific Witch managed to collect all of the votes for a top 10 placement (That honor goes to fellow RWBY OC Rime Marz) they each garnered their own fanbase, with Smady raving about Idella, me being a big fan of Eleanor and I think Ribbon Witch placing the overall highest. It's a consistent set quality that deservingly launched you into leadership role.

Froy also had a great contest and managed to place with all of his sets, much to my surprise and (less to my surprise) managed to place twice in the top ten. His non-top 10 sets didn't get as much people talking as the several witches, but they were still a great showing of your mastery over several playstyles and set types.

Then this contest also managed to bring in a fair share of newcomers. The JimJims especially started off strong with Omega, with his mechanical understanding of Smash being amazing already, but bubbyboy coming in with multiple sets in his first contest is a massive feat as well. Congrats on both for placing and I hope to see you both next time! Shoutouts to Kafka's Darmuk, whose Captchalogue mechanic was one of the freshest ideas of this contest. And congrats on Kris and the Gang as well, which is a delightful first entrance in the hell that is multi-character sets! You've done well and your writing was oozing with charm. I personally think Wrecking Ball should have placed as well and I'm surprised to see it didn't.

Smady's feats were impressive as well, managing to comment almost every dang set in this thread while also showing up strong with Kamoshida! The gap in apparent reception between Blados and Chalis was interesting to see and I'm surprised Blados was the one that scraped top 20. Another community heavyweight was Khold, who carried the visuals of this thread while also putting out a neat set of his own. Dead Hand was filled with gore, with Khold making his mark by having a keen eye for flavor.

My contest was weird. Apparently, with enough polishing, my sets have what it take to make a splash but I also feel like a newcomer. Kilton was a wild wild ride from the concept stages back when MYM19 ended up until the last day of this contest, when I was naturally still editing it. It felt like a chance that I could write something really cool and I'm stoked to see that sentiment is shared by others. The community really helped in polish my sets and I still believe the engine of Breath of the Wild was a big help to climb my way up in a world as big as MYM. MYM21 has ironically been a lot like BoTW for me. I returned from what seemed a hundred-year stasis and started to prepare. As time went on, I got more and more familliar with the world of MYM and eventually apparently I've become a legend, even though I only woke up in my underwear two weeks ago. I'm sorry for Smady, who apparently tried to keep up with my edits for a while, but I also can't thank him enough fo helping me. First time voting and reading was a bit scary, but thanks to Froy and the rest of this super helpful and amazing community I managed to pull it off. That said, the pressure is real now and I'll get to work to start another set that hopefully will be as intricate as Kilton eventually became.

Now, let's see if I edit this post as much as I edited my sets

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
"The desire for power. The joy of making everything work for you. You have no way of experiencing this without a human brain. It's the ultimate joy!"

"Do you have any idea how that makes me feel inside? Furious! Outraged! SICK WITH ANGER!"

"I am many things, Kal-El. You couldn't begin to imagine half of them. But for now, I shall take the role of executioner."

"Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away."

"I am the messiah! Hahahaha!"

"We low-hardness Gems have nothing if not our courage."

"I LOVE STUPID CUTE SHIT!"

"But, I have nothing to be afraid of any more. No matter how many times I'm pierced by arrows too fast to see. No matter how many times I'm burnt
by divine fire that can consume a village in a moment. I cannot die."

"People hurt me long before we met... All sorts of people, in all sorts of ways... but no one hurt me quite like you."

"I'll do what you want...rest for a while. I will handle it, you can count on me. I won't stop! When an enemy appears...I'll terminate it..."

Bionichute

Smash Champion
"But where are you gonna live when your world's dead, guys? Oh right! You'll be dead too!"

"This 3,000 year old mummy occasionally gets tired of his solitary life, and pops out to unleash a wicked curse."

"Dhoulmagus underpants... I gotta find some Dhoulmagus underpants!"

"Boys, show them the trick I taught you."

"Fashion victims about to become murder victims!"

"Enough EXclaiming! Time to make an EXample of you all!"

"YOU NEVER MAKE IT!"

Slavic

"I'll keep fighting. I'll break myself. Even if there's nothing left of me, I will win the way I want to. I'll destroy myself before I accept defeat at your hands."

"Back off... and all's well. Piss me off... and Cassie's gonna meet Uncle Kano."

"This eyepatch conceals a power too great for mere mortals to comprehend..." "He definitely isn't wearing it because he didn't have the gold to afford a second contact lens!"

"My Castle of Dark Illusions will turn this duel into your darkest hour, Yugi!"

"Ah, so you made it all the way here. I suppose that means I'll have to kill you with my own hands."

"B.O.B.! Do somethin'!"

"Now? I've been a criminal for 6,000 years."

"Seems like I've been walking for ages. How long have I been down here?"

"Oh, I can talk alright. And I got a pretty good memory. 'Fiora! Get outta there! Get out!' Her screams were music to my ears, as my claws slid right through her soft flesh. Like a hot knife through butter!"

"Stop saying you're leaving for the moon!"

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
"This nasty old leader of wharf rats hates music."

"AAAAAAGGGH! Are you a complete and utter moron?! Don't you know CHORDS?!"

"Did you hear THAT boys? They want to know how to ESCAPE! Huh! Heheheh!"

"Rejected? Me? You beastly old man... NO ONE REJECTS ME!"

"Subject hair... atrocious."

"That wasn'tst REALLY mine ultimate puzzle! I haveth a wayst better one right... here!"

"Do the words: 'doo hoo hoo' mean anything to you?"

(not sure I'll get ALL of these out next MYM, but here's hoping!

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
(qouting characters people are building? Okay)
(Or about them, I'm making a lot of mute characters apperently)

"Time is like a treasure. Use each gem of it wisely, and your dreams will come true."

"Come and face me. I'll tear the ground asunder and send you straight down to hell!"

"Hey, relax! We're the good guys! Justice will prevail and all that stuff... right?"

"Pfft, screw Gravity!"

"We found these fellows drowning in the surf, so we hauled them out."

"These next tests require co-operation. Consequently, they have never been solved by a human. That's where you come in. You don't know pride, you don't know fear, you don't know anything. You'll be perfect."

"Burrows deep underground in arid locations far from water. It only emerges to hunt for food."

"Horrific as it may sound, there are two of them now."

and maybe, Just maybe: "Are you a God-fearing man? That is such a strange phrase. I've always thought of God as a teacher; a bringer of light, wisdom, and understanding. You see, I think what you really fear is me."

Last edited:

Slavic

Because there's obviously nothing better for me to do with my life, here's my preview list but in word search form this time because ~~special~~

Screenshot_8.png

there are ~~12~~ names in that word search. find all of them and i'll make fun of you. for free!

Screenshot_9.png

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Quote time, because everyone else is doing it. Not all of these will be done anytime soon.

The important thing is not how long you live... It's what you accomplish with your life.

You have no quotes... this fills you with determination

Chill Penguin! Why have you sided with Sigma?

Happy Birthday, Dark Lord! Happy Birthday!

I gathered all the star power in the universe and became GOD!

Apparently more than YOU, you CLOD!

But occasionally, I am known, to Smash!

You fools who know not Lord Duma's power... You will regret this..

Last edited:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
mymawards.png

The votes are in! Thank you to the following voters who sent in their votes: MasterWarlord MasterWarlord , U UserShadow7989 , FrozenRoy FrozenRoy , Smady Smady , ForwardArrow ForwardArrow , Bionichute Bionichute , IvanQuote IvanQuote , Professor Lexicovermis Professor Lexicovermis , Slavic Slavic , and WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever . Without further ado...

The Results!

Favorite Moveset:

Aurelia Midam by ForwardArrow (3 Votes) - Winner!
Kamoshida by Smash Daddy (2 Votes)
Sylvia by JamieTheAuraUser (2 Votes)
Ulrich Hetfield by FrozenRoy (2 Votes)
Xaldin by FrozenRoy (1 Vote)

Okumura by MasterWarlord (1 Vote)

Favorite Designer:

UserShadow7989 (3 Votes) - Winner!
Smash Daddy (2 Votes)
FrozenRoy (2 Votes)
Katapultar (2 Votes)

MasterWarlord (2 Votes)

Favorite Commenter:

Smash Daddy (6 Votes) - Winner!
Kholdstare (2 Votes)
FrozenRoy (1 Vote)

ForwardArrow (1 Vote)

Favorite Move or Mechanic:

Yui's Amp (Yui Hirasawa by Katapultar) (2 Votes) - Winner!
Rosemary's Aromatherapy (Aromage Rosemary by Katapultar) (1 Vote)
Kamoshida's Minions (Kamoshida by Smash Daddy) (1 Vote)
Washizu's Mahjong Hand (Washizu Iwao by MasterWarlord) (1 Vote)
Xaldin's Lindworm (Xaldin by FrozenRoy) (1 Vote)
Himiko's Transformation (Himiko Toga by Katapultar) (1 Vote)
I'm Toga! (Himiko Toga by Katapultar) (1 Vote)
Spark Shuriken (Blados by Smash Daddy) (1 Vote)
Aurelia's Dust (Aurelia Midam by ForwardArrow) (1 Vote)

The Mountain's Out of Body Experience (The Mountain by MasterWarlord) (1 Vote)

Best Presentation:

Paper Mario by Munomario777 (5 Votes) - Winner!
Kilton by WeirdChillFever (2 Votes)
Rex, Pyra, and Mythra by Munomario777 (1 Vote)
SCRATCH by Professor Lexicovermis (1 Vote)
Darmuk Syreus by KafkaKomedy (1 Vote)

Misko/Lambda by WeirdChillFever (1 Vote)

Best Playstyle:

Kilton by WeirdChillFever (3 Votes) - Winner!
Himiko Toga by Katapultar (2 Votes)
Ulrich Hetfield by FrozenRoy (1 Vote)
Kamoshida by Smash Daddy (1 Vote)
Ribbon Witch Velvet by UserShadow7989 (1 Vote)
Sylvia by JamieTheAuraUser (1 Vote)
Xaldin by FrozenRoy (1 Vote)

The Mountain by MasterWarlord (1 Vote)

Best New Designer:

KafkaKomedy (4 Votes) - Winner, tied!
bubbyboytoo (4 Votes) - Winner, tied!

The Jim Jims (2 Votes)

Best One-Hit Wonder:

Sylvia by JamieTheAuraUser (6 Votes) - Winner!
Aurelia by ForwardArrow (4 Votes)

Omega by The Jim Jims (1 Vote)

Most-Improved Designer:

WeirdChillFever (8 Votes) - Winner!
Munomario777 (1 Vote)
Professor Lexicovermis (1 Vote)

bubbyboytoo (1 Vote)

Funniest MYMer:

Katapultar (3 Votes) - Winner!
Kholdstare (2 Votes)
FrozenRoy (1 Vote)
Professor Lexicovermis (1 Vote)
Kzinssie (1 Vote)
Munomario777 (1 Vote)

JamieTheAuraUser (1 Vote)

Most Helpful MYMer:

FrozenRoy (4 Votes) - Winner!
Smash Daddy (2 Votes)
Munomario777 (1 Vote)
Kholdstare (1 Vote)
UserShadow7989 (1 Vote)
JamieTheAuraUser (1 Vote)

ForwardArrow (1 Vote)

Congratulations to all the nominees and winners. See you next contest with even more categories!

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master

So this Make Your Move came and went. I began this one feeling extremely dejected and only finished up Blados after months had passed, Jamie dropping out of making Chalis along the way. This was originally planned as two-person project. I wasn't truly happy until I completely redid Blados from the ground up several times and for a long time I was disappointed that the set didn't seem to catch on all that strongly. However, getting just out of the Top 10 and getting a few ardent supporters was a great surprise! You'd be surprised how much thought and effort went into that moveset, it was validating to see it come across in the results. There's a fair few things I want to take from the whole experience going forward and I just think in the end, the character wasn't going to do it for some people, which is understandable as it's one of the tougher characters I've done.

Chalis was made in a few days, and around half of it in a single day if I correctly recall. I was at first sure it would do as well as Blados, but by the end of voting period it was obviously a lot less popular. I did see that it had a couple of bigger fans though. This set was largely made as a companion piece to Blados as almost the opposite approach where I focused on big concepts and interactions, plus I've never really made a female character before who isn't a monster. Not too shabby of a result in any case.

Nightmare was another long project like Blados, and sadly I didn't get the chance and go back to make bigger edits like I did for Kamoshida. Still, I'm happy the set turned out how it did, as like Blados, Nightmare is not that easy given his limited potential and awkward body type. I also had to walk a tightrope of having some ironic appeal inherent in the character and still not going as far as I have in other sets. It is pretty serious all in all, though it has its moments. This one like Chalis had a few bigger fans that made it worthwhile and I had decent fun making it, so I am happy overall.

The big one was made last, Kamoshida. I am very happy about this one getting into the Top 5 at 4th, and this marks the 6th time in a row I've managed to hit Top 5! That's not a particularly meaningful record or anything, but I'm still proud of that. I feel lucky to have gotten so high in such a competitive setting. That said, I do want to get a little higher, that's just my insanely high standards for myself talking. I will try and get higher next Make Your Move, though I am absolutely happy in the Top 5. It's just amazing how well my sets do every contest now that I put in the effort.

And Kamoshida was a big effort. It was originally 17000 words long and eventually ended up 21k words, and I deleted a good portion of it too. It was a huge ordeal going back and moving the side special grab to a throw, and making a new throw, then going back and doing giant edits to the minions, adding the Eligor stuff, and reworking other stuff that got criticized. However, it was all very worth it, and a lot of fun! In fact I'd say some of these changes like the Eligor additions were some of the most movesetting fun I've had this MYM, so I appreciate everyone who advised me on this set, and everyone who supported all my sets!

In a broader sense, congratulations to everyone who got on the Top 50 and who participated in MYM21 overall. Congrats to FA on his 4th win, that's a huge accomplishment. Roy got 2 sets in Top 10 which is a really good achievement too. WCF managed to Top 5 and made one amazing set. Kat as always put in an amazing contest. US stepped up to the plate with all his sets. Warlord had yet another strong contest. Muno had a couple of really good sets that I felt were a little underrated. This was also a great contest for people like Khold and Lex who put out by far their best sets in Dead Hand and Scratch. To Slavic, Bionichute, Ivan and Jamie, you as always did some neat contributions too. Glad you're all in the community.

I'd like to specifically point out all the newcomers or new-ish people here too. Kafka you had a very good first contest, and I wouldn't feel too disheveled about your lack of support! If you do come back, you'll definitely do much better. Bubby you made a lot of good sets and it was just a hyper competitive MYM, hope you come back next MYM. Altais I've always liked your sets even if they don't do super well, and I hope you have more yet to come. Peridot, it was nice having you in chat. Sorry if I missed anyone in my very compacted shout-outs section here, just know that I appreciate everyone in the community!

Hopefully I can finish a set for opening day, and then I want to do my lottery stuff. I owe one set and have a lottery I hope to do before MYM22 starts... so there's some unfinished business! These should all be characters you guys will enjoy. And I am very much looking forward to so much I've heard about MYM22 sets in production! Good luck to everyone and hope we're in for another fun Make Your Move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom