• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 16: MYM 17 Starting June 1st

Smady

Smash Master

Warlord's Dragon Quest 8 project this contest may get criminally overlooked, coming in the relatively inactive middle of the contest and facing tough competition from his deservedly big frontrunner set, Father Cornello, as well as the last day rush of sets getting all the attention. Although Dhoulmagus is also a great set, this set especially deserves more attention than it has so far gotten. You won't be disappointed reading this set, as it's one of the most entertaining and unique playstyles in the contest.

From a characterization standpoint, this is a playstyle that has been done many times before, but not in this way and not so consistent. Evil Sir Leopold is a set basically centered around reincarnation, a concept Warlord has tried long ago in Cairne Bloodhoof, but here given a far better workaround. Instead of a generic extra life, Leopold has to raise his own replacement dog up from a weakling to a demonic hell hound. Along the way, he and his pack of wild wolves play keepaway with the all important scepter, and do all kinds of fun pack-mentality moves. I can't think of another set to handle this kind of playstyle so well.

The funnest part of the set though is how it weaves together some actual challenging aspects in keeping your next-in-line from getting snuffed out, without lacking in ways to fully enjoy the ultimate form. The numbers may not be perfect, but it's hard to see an argument that this set isn't a fantastic template for balance, despite the ridiculous concept. There are loads of dynamics at play here that will spark off many unique confrontations between Leopold and his foe, fitting for his role in Dragon Quest 8. It's all the more impressive how specific and fitting it is for the character, when the character is a fairly obscure one in the game, this set has the imagination to make him seem like a major villain when he's really more of a fun plot device, but loses none of the fun either.

A set that's gotten plenty of attention from last day, and I'm frankly not as fond of it as Warlord or Roy, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the great entertainment value of the set. There's also a surprising amount of depth found in this set that with some polish could lead to an actual great set in the future, but for now what you're really here for is the humor. It's not just that it mocks the characters as lots of joke sets do, this set is able to mesh the playstyle with the characterization in such an overtly self-ridiculing way that it's hysterical to read. This is a set not afraid to fully mock its series by making a set for its best character, who then mocks everything about it, then himself. It does all this without, well, being a joke set, it's a serious attempt at a playstyle that's very successful, especially with the recent edits made after the last day.

This is because Prime Minister Honest loves his dinners. He so loves his dinners that he relies on his incompetent son and guards who aren't really that smart either. His son is so stupid in fact that Honest has to scold him for over-committing on his attacks, a fun little balancing mechanic that pops up in a few moves. The set's able to combine a very brutish, heavyweight-style Honest set (which is fairly simplistic, combining an eating move with belly flops and similar motions) with Syriza, a psychic who is able to teleport anything anywhere, and the guards who are about as generic as you can imagine. It's a chaotically fun execution that basically has no strings attached, a very fun and easy read that will surely give you some enjoyment, as well as surprising a lot of fun, practical ideas.

This set was part of the last day rush and smack in the middle of the Fishman movement which I was a part of, but should not be ignored because it's exceptionally well made. The character of Arlong is one I'm very fond of in One Piece, and Warlord manages to distill all the best traits of the character to make a set that is surprisingly simple while retaining the crazier aspects of this character. This power set is not one that actively leads to an easy playstyle, but instead this set goes for a characterisation approach, overwhelming the foe and dominating them, without falling into the cliché of stomping or getting stomped. This is a set that instead rewards the player for good reads to punish the foe, taking risks for big rewards and controlling the stage without leaning too hard into casual rape. The player has to earn their win.

That is not to say the set doesn't deliver on the character's personality in the playstyle, which demands a set that can dominate the opponent when need be. There are some absurdly fun, creative concepts in there, such as a very well done ground chunk special, Arlong's signature tooth-saw sword, and even is able to fit in his pitfall throw. The way that the last one is executed should be a clue as to how Warlord manages to fit in all that the character does, by intelligently choosing the right inputs to put them on, and while I can't say I'd do it exactly this way it is very logical.

Where the set really sells itself best though is in its simple but fun playstyle that rewards the player for taking risks by rewarding with extremely satisfying results. Arlong plays a lot like Melee Ganondorf, not super slow to make up for his power, but with enough weaknesses to keep him from being broken. He's got some devastating options, but plenty of ways to counter every one. It's a great addition to any hypothetical game because it's not overbearing while adding lots of awesome ideas that have been thoughtfully added to not get in the way. In short, it adds all you'd like about the character and leaves any problems it may have had in the dungeon, for the rest of their days.

Last edited:

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Gonna make some more comments here in the thread, so let's go!

Toon Link 2.0 (or I guess 2.1 since it's the edited version)

So I really wanted to do one of Munomario's edited movesets, so I chose this one.
I can see what you wanted to make with Tink 2.0, you wanted to make a Tink with a more respectable Wind Waker-based moveset, but the fact that you used a MAJOR assortment of items, some of which not even combat-oriented, just resulted in a prop-heavy version of him that simply doesn't fit right with him.
I for one think that the Nair just doesn't feel right, fairies in Zelda heal Link himself and shouldn't really be doing damage to opponents, I'm also not really fond of the healing enemies mechanic.
The effect of the Ice Arrows seems really interesting with it changing the terrain and could actually be a part of his playstyle, but I was really bummed out when the ice effect was only briefly talked about and not really affecting what he could do in the Playstyle section.
This moveset is also affected by being blunt on some moves, the previously mentioned Ice Arrow's ice effect should really be talked about more, like how much time before the ice field goes away and all.
The part of the magic meter also got me curious, I mean, does the magic meter just automatically add 1 segment every 5 seconds or if it slowly starts rising? I for one would prefer the latter because it could make his playstyle more interesting.
Overall, Tink's moveset has a nice magic gimmick but suffers from unwanted prop overuse and bluntness.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Aw man, a day late again? This is Wonder-Red all over again. ._. Anyway, I have a very special announcement to make!

THE REVAMP PROJECT IS FINISHED!

In case you missed it, last month I started my "Revamp Project", where I said I would go back to every one of my twelve movesets and add things, change things, tweak things, and more. And today, I've finally finished! Here's a list of the movesets, and what has changed (click the image to go to that moveset). A lot has changed recently, so be sure to check out the new versions of the sets if you haven't already!

It's basically a whole new moveset now. Go check it out! :)

Descriptions are extended, Magic usage for some moves has been tweaked, Side Custom 1 is changed, sword attacks now fire a beam, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, many moves (including the Tilts, Dash Attack, Up Smash, Down Smash, Neutral Aerial, Up Aerial, Forward Aerial, Back Aerial, Back Throw, and more) are changed, images are added, formatting is improved, and other tweaks are made.

The change is very subtle, so see if you can spot it! It's like a game! :D
Added the tags [sortofajokemoveset] and [/sortofajokemoveset]

Descriptions are extended, the Inventory is more incorporated into the moveset, the Dash Attack has some new properties, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, aerials are buffed, he has a new Up Aerial, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, Side Special has a new aerial version, Down Tilt, Forward Throw, and Back Aerial are changed, and other tweaks are made.

Nothing (it's already perfect)

Descriptions are extended, moves (including the Jab, Smashes, Neutral Aerial, Forward Aerial, and Back Throw) are changed, the grab system is changed, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, Forward and Back Aerials are changed, she has an air grab, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, some moves are changed, formatting is improved, and other tweaks are made.

Descriptions are extended, images are added, formatting is improved, and other tweaks are made.

This has been a long time coming, guys. Hope you enjoyed it! :)

Of course, be sure to check out my Make Your Move Hub for a history of the Revamp Project, and check out its post for details on the project itself.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Make Your Move? WITHOUT MEH?

Ok, ok I can deal with that. Hello guys, my name is StaffofSmashing, aka ETLD, aka they guy who's decently known in the community for making 3 sub-sub-par movesets over the course of MYM 14 (Soldier, Pichu, Nintendog Colab) and MYM 15 (Mach Rider). I decided to take a long break from Smashboards overall, but alas I have returned to the scene of the crime. Now I've actually taken time and consideration into my sets and have made them in other formes. But as MYM 16 comes to a close, what's next for me in MYM 17?

I originally had an idea for a set of this guy:

This is Springtrap. Well, no dip. I plan this set to be released early MYM 17. I began working on this set a day after the Teaser for FNAF 3 was released though the lack of information caused me to drop the set. When the game officially came out I nearly completed the set but I then heard about something and I decided to release the set later.

HOLE
LEE
SHIETSSUMZ!​

So I dropped the Springtrap set and began working on the Space Invader set. I finished it in about 2 weeks and I plan releasing it to co-inside with Pixels's release. Well, after I watch the movie and calm down because of all the happiness I'll attain watching the movie.

So this is just a slight update on whats been up with me, and I hope you'll enjoy the Springtrap and Space Invader sets.

Staffo OUT!

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Just so you gais know, I'm actually working on a buncha character movesets for MYM 17
...And they're all from the same source-material.
...And I'm only revealing anything about them or they're source-material until MYM 17.
HAVE FUN

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace

Figured I'd update this with the current plans. post -every- set I have some ideas for. Expect only a few to actually get made, due to work/school and whatnot.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768

No promises on anything besides the first two - who I both have a fair amount of progress on. Later two are entirely dependent on me even having free time between work and school.
Loving that Bill Cipher.

Also, I'm looking to cooperate with over movesetters over the course of MYM 17, so if you wanna collaborate on any movesets, PM me / conversation-ize me and we'll do stuff. I could call it

Disco Alien / ETLD / Staffo's Colab Moveset dealeo he has going on here

Don't worry, this won't halt the Springtrap and Space Invader set (I'm revamping Springtrap's set, got the specials down, and some other miscellaneous doohickies). It's just a thing to help me and others progresss in moveset creating
You can PM me now, or as MYM 17 starts

I'll see you guys in MYM 17 (at least until I post another update on here)

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Yosemite Sam
I do think Yosemite Sam manages to avoid doing much in the way of laughably bad stuff in that it at least is aware of the character its being made for unlike Bob and has a lower number of comically bad inputs, though the Up Tilt and Forward Throw still come to mind. The problem is the set doesn't have any substance despite not having any really laughable flaws, because the set's whole idea of creating a playstyle is mass spacers. But that's not really enough material for the set to really work, as the only things he can really space in relative position too are the opponent, a blast box, and what is basically a Wario Bike, with very clear objectives in both of the later cases(away from the box, towards the opponent). It makes the playstyle stupidly linear and boring because the moves all have such forced one track purposes. I could maybe excuse it more if the core concept was more interesting, but its just a big explosive you and the opponent can bat back and forth, this has been done before in slightly different forms by many other sets, and usually better. Also while its not as prominent in this version as the previous one, the blast box thing seems to be if anything kind of rigged against him as his weight is very bad for his size and the fact that its another option for the opponent to kill him with while he basically only has that, and the occasional ability to jump out of the way isn't going to save him from that.

Chew
Chew if nothing else manages to get a full set out of a character who does one very bland thing, but it does so in pretty much the blandest way possible. The set is either him punching or kicking or squirting water out of his mouth, with no real attempt to make an actual playstyle out of it, and I know you're capable of one because Vespiquen at least did a few interesting things with the bees. If I had to suggest something to improve the set, you could just add some material with him leaving some of the spat water across the stage, to trip people or drink back up to charge up attacks quicker. You could have anything to play off of at that point, but this set ends up coming across as nothing more than functional, though I guess if all you look for is basic functionality the set delivers.

Hatchan
Hatchan has a lot more flaws than Arlong, probably on account of the fact that you're not used to making sword users. For one the mechanic basically dooms itself to likely imbalance, what with him having 6 different limbs all available to attack with at once. I feel like it never got especially bad about that as you were very cautious, but its hard to feel comfortable liking the set a lot when he can just attack up to 6 times at once. Even ignoring that, the swords occasionally feel underutilized with the set not really having a ton of idea how to use them for melee, more just being used as a more medium option between a stronger ground chunk and a weaker tentacle slap. Its not bad though, the idea of being able to use the swords as semi-traps is a pretty cool one, and I like stuff like the Smashes and UTilt/FTilt that bring together all the various mechanics to create some fun attacks. Its just not a set I can get terribly enthusiastic about because of balance concerns and the fact that its not really interesting enough a lot of the time to keep my mind off that.

As an aside, a 3 platform shove for the inked version of the Jab is a bit ridiculous when landing a jab is so damn easy. It basically makes shielding almost unusable when inked. Its a fairly easy fix if nothing else.

Vander Decken
I feel like this set is the highlight of the Fishman Movement, because the core concept of letting people pick absolutely anything as a target for homing projectiles is pretty great. Especially when said projectiles are very varied in how they fly and their applications upon hitting or landing on the ground. The Down Smash in particular provides a ton of cool new material to work off of, giving the set a lot of depth to its projectile game. The later inputs aren't as strong as the Specials and Smashes, but its really hard to complain too much about them when its mostly just because they're supplementary stuff to help the first few feel versatile.

If I had to make a token complaint about the set, its that as a guy who does enjoy these projectile manipulation kind of sets a lot, I've always found homing to be a fairly weak concept and this set executes it about as well as you could. That said, homing sets all projectiles on the same track and it prevents the set from possibly having as much depth as one that relies on projectiles all travelling on their own paths. Don't get me wrong, its still a plenty interesting set, but I can't get as excited about it as I want too as all its set ups seem to end the same way, with a long line of projectiles chasing the opponent and Vander Decken then trying to force them to take the first in a massive series of hits that will follow. Which is, don't get me wrong, fun, but I wish it was a little less linear.

Edit: And admittedly I must have missed a small edit from after I previewed the set, as Vander Decken can revert the path back to the default ones if he wants too, which makes his projectile set ups a fair bit more diverse than I thought and renders the previous paragraph pretty much invalid.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
BRAWL CHARIZARD

I know you are a fan of Brawl Charizard, but I find it to be one of the worst movesets in Smash. I find it very strange you did not include the Seismic Toss throw when you were the one who got it put into Project M as one of his more fun moves on a characterization level. Many of the bad Charizard moves from Brawl are largely kept in this moveset, and the changes that are made don’t make much sense, such as making Fly the Down Special (???). This and your other Pokesets also have some fascination with attacking with any extraneous appendages that the character has for as many moves as possible instead of punching or stomping to actually showcase their strength, most blatant in Charizard, Blastoise, and Feraligatr, though worst in this particular set. Charizard’s wings are a tacked on aspect to enable him to fly and not a defining feature, but they get far more time dedicated to them in this set than fire breathing.

AVERAGE JOE

Axton has problems with his writing style in the Specials and Smashes, though the set basically just drops off after that with what looks to be minimal effort. I really don’t have much to say about the set beyond that, as it just simply isn’t a set that appeals to me personally.

While it can apply to your general movesetting style, a problem you have is going into elaborate detail about rather mundane things. If you’re not talking about new effects, talking about uses of attacks is generally best reserved for how things are relevant to that specific character over other ones, how it fits into their personal playstyle. Talking about general uses of the attack is of course necessary to convey a proper picture of the move, but to go into elaborate detail on them will generally be lost on the MYM audience. That sort of information would be more appropriate for a strategy guide in the event that the character was actually in the game, but they’re not. This applies most strongly to Charizard and Axton of your sets this contest, with Charizard’s nair providing one of the best examples of you getting really excited over nothing.

ENDLESS COMBOS

Typhlosion’s mechanic just doesn’t seem to very appealing to me as a basic ammo bank, and his game amounts to very basic comboing. When vaguely talking about combos as you do in Typhlosion, it’s kind of cheating when not talking about what specifically combos. The most direct example you provide during the uair (“Nair->Uair->Uair->Flame Wheel->Double Jump->Dair->Downward Flame Wheel”) sounds like a ridiculously long chain, and doesn’t sound balanced for even Project M/Melee. His ability to use Blaze also feels absurdly powerful, and I don’t know why you think using Side Special to attain 28% is balanced, much less when the hitbox creates a huge lingering trap. While the Neutral Special doesn’t feel that scary at first, it’s actually quite powerful in the context of these combos, adding on significant chunks of damage.

A small complaint I made on Heracross that echos much more loudly on your Pokesets is feeling the arbitrary need to name every single one of your moves after a Pokemon attack. Generic actions don’t need to be named after Pokemon attacks, with one of the most common examples throughout your Pokesets being the arbitrary need to insert “mega” before generic punches and kicks to make them be named after Pokemon moves. Moves like Fling (Charizard), Explosion (Typhlosion), Spikes (Feraligatr) and Rollout (Typhlosion) are also present despite the actual moves having nothing to do with the Pokemon moves and them not even learning those Pokemon moves, just because the names vaguely correlate to the action. Yes, Feraligatr has spikes on his back, that doesn’t mean that it has anything to do with shooting out spikes as a trap.

ACID RAIN

It’s a tradition of yours to use the passive ability of Pokemon as passive mechanics in your movesets. You’ve done this to great success with many of your sets, but when doing so many sets for all of the starters you run into the large problem of them all having the exact same ability, which makes me think you should’ve just left it out on at least some of these. While you try to interpret it in different ways, it looks like it proved awkward with some of the starters, and the starters it hurts the most are Blastoise and Typhlosion. Ammo banks are rarely done well, though you do a decent job of evading some of the common pitfalls with Typhlosion by just playing it down as much as possible, basically not coming into play unless he uses the Down Special or plays stupidly. While it doesn’t add much to Typhlosion, it doesn’t actively interfere with the experience of playing the set. With Blastoise, you present a huge problem by making him use up his entire ammo bank whenever he uses a move that uses it. This makes him extremely hesitant to use any of the moves that use his mechanic already, but it becomes even worse when one of these moves is his recovery. He basically has to reserve Torrent entirely for recovery if he’s at a remotely high percentage, and at lower percentages he is still risking making himself very gimpable.

Rain Dance is a level up move of Blastoise, but it’s a move that feels forced on the vast majority of Pokemon regardless. Even if a move is a level up, it’s best to exercise some caution with them on a characterization level. As a random example, you wouldn’t give Zapdos the ability to fire random rocks simply because Ancientpower is in its movelist. The flow of the move is basically just one to generically buff his ammo bank mechanic, with the crippling mechanic largely serving as a crutch to make the set’s playstyle flow better. More importantly, Rain Dance magically removes all traps from the stage. This is crippling to many characters and contributes nothing, even if it was intended to only remove things like lingering fire and poisonous goo, which it doesn’t with the current wording.

Blastoise has countless moves that have him tuck into his shell, and they start to feel very redundant. I would’ve liked to see more with him sliding along pools of water, firing his cannons while inside of his shell, or more unique takes on the armor in individual moves. A set that I find handled this much better that is basically a Blastoise set is Venustoise by Blackfox, enabling him to fire his various projectile moves while inside of the shell. This isn’t particularly wacky stuff that I’m linking here, I think you could appreciate what’s going on in this set compared to what you have laid out for your set. When Blastoise isn’t going into his shell, he’s using very stubby kicks and bites that feel uncharacteristic of Blastoise, largely because he’s obligated to have as few moves as possible where he shoots water given it empties his entire ammo bank.

UNPICKED STARTER

Meganium is your set this contest that most feels like it was made for my demographic. I actually really want to like this set and heavily appreciate the effort. I am very thankful for the more direct attempts at playstyle flow present in this set, and I think you actually did a great job of making a 2v2 set without making it feel tacked on or too focused on 2v2 at the cost of 1v1 like so many other sets before Meganium have done. I do think the set has writing style problems, as you definitely could’ve got through the mechanics on each section much quicker given the mechanic itself is actually very simple. The grab-game doesn’t even need such a large section before it, as the only move effected is the pummel anyway.

I would happily forgive the writing style quirks, but the sole thing keeping me from voting for this set right now is the very overpowered sleep present on the grab-game. It feels like an easy infinite, and you even admit that it can “chaingrab at low percentages”. I don’t know why it couldn’t simply infinite people, as you don’t present any reason why it can’t. I also think the shield from Aromatherapy is a bit too strong, at least on characters with poor grabs like Falco and Ike, but that is much more tolerable by comparison.

JOE FERALIGATR #4

Feraligatr is easily my favorite Joe set of the contest. Not only is the use of the universal starter ability the best in Feraligatr, it also actually makes sense, strengthening Feraligatr when he’s at a specific high percentage while giving him more than a generic boost. Feraligatr does nothing revolutionary and feels just as home in your style as all of the other sets, but he has a much richer playstyle and feels legitimately fun to play in the basic Smash terms you seek with the superarmor and increased power from Rage, giving his heavyweight moves much more interesting contexts to be used in.

There is much more of an effort to be interesting throughout the individual inputs sections than you’d usually expect in your sets of this style. While he has the obligatory basic combos all of your sets have, he can transition in and out of defensive moves at higher percentages, with his utilt, dsmash, his powerful crawl enabling him to walk backwards, and his gushing water hitboxes from Torrent giving him much more coverage to protect him from behind. The superarmor from Rage is of course my favorite aspect in this regard, and the other uses of superarmor spliced throughout also help to contribute to this theme.

Of course it’s not perfect for my taste. The aerials mostly exist as something to transition into landing on the stage with and are primarily combo fodder, and the grab-game is very uninspired. The uthrow does at least make an active effort to try to bring these elements into his game, though, with the pseudo chaingrabs and pressuring situations it presents with your aerials being legitimately entertaining compared to some of the blander aspects of the set.

NIGHT’S END SORCEROR

Viktor’s mechanic is extremely ambitious to attempt without just half-assing it and squandering the potential, and I commend you for the effort you did make. The set starts out very strong and presents some decent projectile manipulation/buffing concepts, and you do a great job of expanding Viktor’s character to include things that would make sense for him. While I abused the vague characterization of Nature’s Prophet to include things that weren’t all that fitting for him in some cases, your additions feel completely natural and thought out.

Aside from the obvious filler later on in the set, the set’s problems for me lie in that the projectile manipulation eventually becomes projectile manipulation for the sake of it and starts to become a bit redundant/not contribute much new. While these moves are still better executed and more logical than those in some of your other sets, the next problem lies in your attempts to try to give him a viable melee game. While this is difficult, other sets have done it, as Vander Decken has proven. I certainly agree that he needs one, but I thought it was executed poorly, and it doesn’t help that some of the biggest components of it are the set’s most blatant filler. When he has so much for his projectile game, it feels obvious that players would primarily focus on that even if his melee “combo” playstyle does exist with how the upgrade system works, and his much weaker melee playstyle would be used as an afterthought as a generic defense.

FLYING DUTCHMAN

Vander Decken is a set for a character with an ability that has a rather obvious route to take for a great set in MYM. You ride this wave of the character’s potential as long as possible without making it get ridiculous or redundant which is very commendable. Where the far more difficult part comes in is when you’ve dried up the character’s primary resources, especially when you don’t heavily abuse his projectiles to fill inputs. When the rubber meets the road, Decken does a great job of mixing his melee game into his projectile game without it ever coming off as the generic “defense” or “GTFO” you’d expect from this archetype, focusing as direct supplements to his existing playstyle. The ground chunk is the coolest move in the set for me, as it enables Decken to fly alongside his projectiles to introduce many more layers to his game. It’s a fresh take on the ground chunk that makes great sense for his character, and it shows in a movement where two other characters use it in a more traditional manner. Ground chunks are basically the racial trait of the fishmen, and it’s great that you managed to weasel one in when his characterization is otherwise very focused on his stalker persona (as it should be).

The set’s problems lie in that it is one of those MYM sets that were more common in earlier MYMs that appear to crumble quite easily to pressure. While his melee game does go with his projectile game quite well once it gets started, I see Decken having a lot of trouble getting started against an especially aggressive opponent. The ground chunk helps in that it lets him move as he summons more projectiles, though it’s really not enough. In the least, Decken isn’t just setting up constructs and is actively firing hitboxes at the foe during this “set-up”, but more should’ve been given to address this very important part of Decken’s game that lets him get to the fun stuff. Like other sets that struggle with this problem, Decken of course also landslides quite quickly if he’s allowed to get going, and characters with consistently one sided matches are generally less exciting. That said, it says a lot that I can talk about this as my primary complaint with the set in this day and age, as sets like Jarad largely had this attached to them as a cliffnote complaint from me and this set handles it better than the aforementioned sets anyway. There’s really very little to criticize about the set, as while it’s tackling an appealing MYM concept on a character built for it, the thing that sets it apart is it actually executes it very well.

TERRIBLE XAT MEME

There’s not much for me to say about “Chew”, as it is a very basic set. I wish you had invested the effort you put into Custom Specials and spread it more throughout the moveset, with the most obvious candidate being the naked smashes. The main thing the set does after the specials is to interact with water puddles a couple of times, with most of the moveset feeling barren and unfinished. There’s not much I can say other than generically request you attempt to make moves synergize more to form a coherent and unique playstyle. I will say it is dumb that Chu can’t absorb his own water when that’s the entire point of his character, and you make very little use of the character when you could’ve had him puff up like a pufferfish and shoot water on various moves, as he does in his fight.

JINBE JR.

I can take a little more pity on Kuroobi than Chu given he has even less potential, being a generic tough guy that knows karate, a style with minimal potential for Smash Bros. That said, his obvious main sources of potential are his hair and suplexes. His hair is used as a generic grab animation, and there is no suplex in the moveset. I say he should use suplexes because of his attempts to make Sanji’s lungs burst underwater in his fight by rushing to the bottom water level and back, something that could definitely be interpreted into Smash Bros. While not as big of a deal as the hair and the suplex, given Kuroobi has such little potential it would be very forgivable for him to use his sword, as it could add some much needed spice to this very mundane moveset.

EPIC MEMES

I will not talk about the abundance of stun or the characterization issues with Shrek’s shielding mechanic, as these were very well detailed within FA’s comment on the moveset. I hate the abundance of grab-games throughout the set. Shrek has 3 sets of throws between his normal grab-game, his fthrow, and his Side Special. Shrek doesn’t have enough playstyle relevant effects to work one grab-game, and making yourself more inputs to do is always a huge risk if you don’t have anything to actually fill those inputs with that furthers the character’s playstyle in any meaningful way. The abundance of Shrek’s many grabs and weird moves that ignore shields such as his stunning fart gas and his dashing attack also actively work against his primary playstyle hook of his onion shields. With so many moves that simply ignore shields, it feels like a tremendous waste that Shrek can manipulate his opponent’s shield in such interesting ways. Opportunities exist for you to play off the various shields in your attempts to make an interesting melee game, but the moveset did not capitalize upon them.

Contrary to David, I find the fsmash to be the most well done move in the set outside of the shielding Special. The issue is that it simply belongs on a Special instead of a Smash. Smashes demand some kind of oomph, with the only real exception for versatility being the dsmash as a potential (preferably hard hitting) trap or counter. The set in general has poor input placement, as while there are decent ideas for interactions they greatly override any intention the moves had to be actual attacks.

SIDESHOW BOB REMIX

Yosemite Sam has edited out most of the more obviously bad moves, leaving the set mostly as bland with a handful of weird move choices straggling along into the current rendition of the moveset. The remaining playstyle is based around a large arsenal of attacks that move Sam while he’s attacking. These spacing moves are not over the top momentum or ridiculous broad motions as seen in Sideshow Bob, and Sam also has some actual projectiles and the TNT under the name of “boom box” to actually take any kind of real advantage of these moves spacing himself. Moves that generically push Sam seem to make up the entirety of the moveset outside of raw filler, leading to obvious redundancy as you use them as the moveset’s primary crutch to make flowing playstyle. That said, this moveset has a much better vision of what it’s even trying to accomplish than your usual and has no especially glaring errors that would stop it from doing so.

DETRACTOR’S VISION OF K. ROOL

Honest is a hilarious set that is non-stop mocking of a terrible source material. While I and others have never heard of this source material, you have a great passion in the writing style that gives a great sense of who these people are and why they deserve to be mocked. The characterization goes to ridiculous extremes, but the set is somewhat joking in nature and it works wonderfully on a character that really cannot have a completely serious moveset on his own. The characterization deserves to be experienced, and I will not spoil any of it here for those who have yet to read it.

While the guards are obviously generic, I actually like a lot that they can fill in for Syura at Honest’s side if Syura is used as a minion or outright replace him if he dies. That they will even show up and potentially vanish if Honest lacks guards makes for a great way of making a “partner” set, where the partners perform the majority of the character’s moves on his behalf. It gives a great sense of just how pathetic Honest is, much less when nearly all of his personal moves amount to how fat he is. The basic teleportation manipulations with Syura’s ability to assault the foe with minions provides for a good basic moveset, and Honest has a surprising degree of control over his minions when he can control them directly. While plenty of other characters can do this, Honest is unique in that he won’t be going out of his way in order to do so, as minion based attacks form the majority of his moveset and are extremely necessary to play him viably.

Of course the set has obvious filler, and that is the primary thing holding it back at this moment. While it is hilarious and fits in with the set’s borderline joke nature to use food as a primary resource for projectile bullet hell, the set could really obviously use some more projectile manipulation as the missing link to make a better playstyle. Teleporting random things is all the “manipulation” you need, so all you have to throw in are some projectiles. As far as what those projectiles could be, with the vague nature of Syura’s ability it seems logical that he could teleport debris out of the stage to send at the foe. Making greater use of the guards throwing weapons also feels like an obvious source, and I’m sure you could find some interesting uses with thrown axes and spears. Any difficulty in mapping it to inputs can be given to Syura’s AI, given how awkwardly (and hilariously) specific it already is.

ANDROGYNOUS DICTATOR

Kuvira is a very good educational experience for you on learning how to make a character’s moves factor into their playstyle and on avoiding filler. While filler is obviously present, it’s at an all-time low for you and I obviously agree with everyone else that this is the best effort you’ve made. While your interactions are decent, the issue with this set is that the set’s attacks contribute little to the character’s playstyle when not interacting – when used as actual melee attacks, her attacks are just the same as any other character’s instead of providing unique playstyle incentives to her specifically as a character to use them. A handful of moves have no purpose at all with no plates, with the Down Special not even doing anything with nothing set up first.

VILLAIN WITH GOOD PUBLICITY

Chou Chou Infinite is a fairly appealing minion manipulation set that I can’t say much bad about beyond seeing a couple of aerials and most of the throws as filler, which stick out a bit when this set is so wacky as most of the time. I can tell that the character is obligated to turn random objects into minions for her characterization. While it would obviously be more beneficial to her playstyle to make it so she can only turn her own stuff into minions, you manage to weasel in an elaborate mechanic to let her “moe kill” objects from other characters without making it overly obtrusive or overpowered. I am normally incredibly worried at the sight of such mechanics, but the mechanic is vague enough that it has additional lag based off the importance of whatever object it is deleting.

While the set gets quite wacky at several points, it actually feels quite tame and manageable to play. A lot of the more interesting effects are in the minions themselves, and these minions are passively produced by attacks in great numbers and it isn’t essential to use everything manually given their many passive abilities. Otherwise simplistic effects are made interesting by the use of her minions like the cannon and block Shampurus. While the attacks themselves can sometimes feel like afterthoughts, the fact that Chou Chou makes minions through offense rather than turtling and uses them alongside her attacks in a very direct way makes these blander moves work much better. Even the usual argument that you may not want to “accidentally” manipulate minions with melee attacks doesn’t particularly apply, as you have such a ridiculous quantity of minions that using a handful in an attack isn’t particularly harmful. That said, sometimes I’m looking for something that’s more direct in this moveset when it’s from a mind as creative as Katapultar’s, as Chou Chou already has her fair share of powerful melee.

Last edited:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Made a few changes to Prime Minister Honest to help reduce filler problems, as well as a couple other things:

-New Down Tilt that gives a bunch of new material to work with for the projectile game
-Grab changed so Syura won't be able to just kill who you have grabbed, and also for the sake of a new throw
-Back Throw and Up Throw changed
-The heavy minion version of the Up Aerial has been changed

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Hey all! Welcome to the:

Get it? It's a block... of ads! :D
Anyway, I'll be advertising three sets today, because that's the minimum amount and I'm too lazy to do any more. ;)

DONNEL
So, Donnel is a rather out-of-nowhere character that has some nice concepts behind it, and stays true to the character (or at least I'd assume so; I haven't played Awakening myself). This set has some really nice concepts behind it. The leveling-up mechanic opens up a lot of playstyles, rewards dealing damage, and punishes camping, and makes for some nice progression throughout the set. Rally is a nice Monado Arts-type move, and makes for some nice adaptability in his playstyle. I like the risk-versus-reward element of the Support custom as well. The Side Special reeks (in a good way; it's a pun!) of risk, and can provide some dangers for Donnel, but can help him greatly in the fight. The Up Special is a nice recovery and projectile all in one, and the customs for this move make sense in that the aesthetic matches the function. The healing Down Special balances out Donnel's low weight, but is in turn balanced out by the period where Donnel is left vulnerable. The tilts make sense for the character, and the themes of farming and learning from other characters is well represented here. The cancelling throws back into the grab state mechanic is really interesting, and makes for some nice risk-versus-reward play, the risk being the opponent breaking out of the grab and the reward being the extra damage. The Final Smash is hilarious and full of personality. Overall, this is a set that has some great concepts, tons of personality to it, great detail, and is definitely worth your reading time and your votes.

RAVIO
Ravio is a nice, short set with a nice central theme that binds it all together. Having played through A Link Between Worlds, I really appreciate the variety and faithfulness to the original game that's demonstrated here. All four Rods are some neat, unique attacks. The Fire Rod is a nice projectile option with some spacing potential, the Ice Rod could be useful for edgeguarding, the Sand Rod gives him some unique stage control, and the Tornado Rod has some good gimping potential. I like how much range the Smashes have (and how they reference items from ALBW), and while the standards are rather, well, standard in function, the aesthetics are nice and fit the character well. The Final Smash is a good fit as well, although I do think it could have used some of the more unique features of the "nice" items (for example, the Bow shooting three arrows). I was also disappointed that Ravio's bracelet (which allows Link to turn into painting form in ALBW) wasn't used for at least a spot dodge or something, and overall the set could use more detail (and a playstyle section). Overall, though, I enjoyed reading the set, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice, short, and sweet read.

BANJO-KAZOOIE
Ah, Banjo-Kazooie. This would usually be the part of the ad where I reminisce about playing this in its glory days, but I didn't. :ohwell: Anyway, onto the set. It starts off strong with a nice, simple mechanic in the Feathery Flap, which adds to the duo's air game and their recovery greatly. I greatly enjoyed the use of custom specials in this set, with each input having a shared theme yet each custom being unique. The set seems to be extremely faithful to the source games, with many of the moves being straight from Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie. Overall, this set is one with some great variety, amazing faithfulness to the source material, and that is very much worth your reading time.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Like the post above me, I will be listing off my sets I'll be pulling out of my face throughout MYM 17. Other than Springtrap and Space Invader.

The Mother****ing Angry Video Game Nerd

The Angry Video Game Nerd. A nerd with pens, a power glove, a zapper, 20 million beers, a TV which is being rapedd in every hole, this guy went from a trilogy of small game reviews to a figure in internet history with a feature-length film (which is not half bad) and a game that got Nintendo's seal (also not half bad). I chose this guy to do a moveset on because of his insane moveset potential. Hadoukens to lightsabers to the NES Accessories to the rocks to beer to his filthy mouth, the AVGN set will make you laugh and also probably sh*t yourself.

The only person strong enough to stand up to the Legendary Norris: Segata Sanshiro

Be honest: Before the death battle came out you didn't even know this Sega Saturn saving missile flipping judo throwing child abuser even existed. I knew him before it came out, but I didn't own a Sega Saturn, I had a Sony Playstation. But when your a dude who can throw someone so hard they explode TWICE, you deserve to be moveset-ed. Segata is one of my lesser priorities as when it comes to movesets, I got nothin really.

Silver the Hedgehog
I don't know if you guys know this, but I love psychokinetics. Sooooooooo Silver was a must for me. Being one of my favorite Sonic characters, a psychokinetic, has a terrible voice because that's a redeeming quality, etc.

And I played through Sonic '06 to give you content for a forum. That is dedication.

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Hey losers I made Hody suck less.

When I wake up I'm gonna maybe make some ads/comments who knows I'm remarkably unreliable. Probably gonna have some ratings up tho, look forward to that.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
ADVERTISEMENTS

Braixen
by BridgesWithTurtles

Braixen is one of, if not the, best Pokemon sets of this contest. The set demands attention simply through how it is presented with beautiful headers and a wonderful color scheme that compliments the character. Going into the actual set, part of what makes this stand apart is the strive to make a character, not a Pokemon. Braixen is given a fleshed out personality supported by a moveset that feels fully invented to work in Smash Bros. Pyrokinesis, Mystic Fire, and the wand catching fire all work to illustrate a very coherent but still fun to play character. Incinerate takes what would be a simple attack and turns it into a fun to play with move that can pressure a lot of characters that utilize items like, as Turtles mentions, Peach. The evasion of Pokemon Syndrome makes this set more enjoyable than a great deal many Pokemon sets, and even the Standards work to create a unique character who is interesting in both gameplay and personality. A worthwhile read for anyone who wants to see how to do a Pokemon set well without falling into common pitfalls.

Sonic Heroes
by Munomario777

Muno took the time close to the end of the contest to go through and edit all of his sets to make them better, and not only was Sonic Heroes Muno’s weakest, it was also his earliest. Because of this, part of this advertisement is simply asking people to go through and reread it to give it a second opinion rather than just ignore it. A lot of improvements were made on the set and it has become, in my opinion, Muno’s best set, with the most detail even if only due to the presence of three characters. While team sets have been done to no end, the way Sonic Heroes is handled keeps things interesting, as the other members of the team are used even when not in control. For those looking for an underdog set by a newcomer with a lot of potential, the completely revamped Sonic Heroes should not be overlooked, as it demonstrates all of the ability Muno has gained over the course of this contest.

Kuvira
by ChaosKiwi

Kuvira is one of Kiwi’s best sets, similar to Sonic Heroes with Muno. Kuvira has well fleshed out moves that interact in a single cohesive playstyle. The use of the metal plates throughout the set make it very interesting, especially the interaction with the grab. The ability to draw opponents towards Kuvira make the grab much more interesting than a simple reach out. While just having plates around the stage would be interesting enough, latching them onto an opponent, and the ways the stage interacts with the set, keeps this set from being either generic or boring. This set is a great late-contest addition, and is definitely worth a read should anyone want to see a set full of both soft and hard interactions throughout.

Make Your Move 17

Like most of us, I will also be participating in MYM 17. And like many of you, I know what sets I want to do / have already done! I won’t flat out tell what I have in my sleeves, but here are some clues! I’ve talked about a few of them already, so they’ll probably be easier to guess than others.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

PROTOZOA:
Hydrazoa is a good set, and I certainly feel like it was buried under the sudden rush of sets we had on the last few days. Despite being from a (Technically speaking) wrestling show, Hydrazoa isn't what you'd expect from such a character, despite there still being a heavy emphasis on grappling. Said grappling is obviously the stand out point of the set, with most of the gimmicks converging around it. The gimmicks themselves, like the puddles and being able to freeze several of the attacks, are used a bit, but not to an amazing extent, with them mostly coming down to basically just being traps set around the stage. The gimmick of him being able to be walked through easily is interesting, but never really comes into play, which is a shame because I haven;t really seen anything like it before. Either way, Hydrazoa is a fun set from a fun series, and I would like to see some more Ultimate Muscle sets made soon.

THE COOKIE IS GOOD:
Gradmatriarch is an interesting set. I wouldn't call it the best of the contest, like Don Thousand was, but it is obviously one of the better ones. The cookie collecting stuff works, and fits the game, along with the structure building as well. The only real bad things i can list come mostly from the Grandmatriach her/itself, in that the way you describe it is vague in terms of size, shape, and scale, and most of the moves come off as awkward under this light. Another slightly bad thing is how some things, like the wrinklers and doughlings, are basically only mentioned twice after they are first brought up. Overall, an interesting, unique set witha few problems,but ones that don't detract from the reading itself.

ACTUALLY GOOD SMASH BROS WARIO:
Halekulani is a heavyweight, trap laying character who must collect things in order to power up his moves. Admittedly, this sounds a bit like Grandmatriarch, but I think I enjoyed this set a lot better than Grandmatriarch, even if I do think they're both incredibly good sets. Halekulani seems mostly like an incredibly balanced 1v3 boss set, especially when you get to the Up Smash, which is incredibly powerful, but somehow still seems somewhat manageable. The set also has a lot more connectivity, with most moves somehow involving the N Special, or at the very least managing to do something involving Hale's dollar bills. I might be a bit biased, considering I love Bobobo, and especially the episodes he was featured in.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Well I'm doing a colab. I wonder who with... Don't worry it won't be a disaster like Nintendoge.
Also...
Here's an order of sets I'll be posting in order for MYM 17!

Springtrap
Space Invader
Colab (hopefully I get it out before or after SI)
Segata Sanshiro
Angry Video Game Nerd
???
Silver The Hedgehog
A Pokemon (
MEWMEWMEWMEWMEW)
Virtual Boy (wish me luck)
???
???
???

??? = Mystery ooooooooo spoooooooky

Last edited:

ChaosKiwi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosKiwi
Uh, advertisements I guess? It was hard to pick just three... because every set was terrible. 0/10, all around. No votes for anyone.

GRANDMATRIARCHS
by ForwardArrow

Ok jack knives you know this set is good. I don't have to explain why it's good for the one point five people out there who set aside a week of free time to read the entirety of it, but for those of you who haven't read it: It, well, first it takes a set concept that I would describe as "absurd" and "where can I buy what you're smoking", and makes it not only viable, but interesting. From there, the interesting interactions between moves, the size, the neutral special... high quality. Good set. 3/10, at least.

CHOU-CHOU INFINITE
by Anime Trash Katapultar

I don't know what sort of japanimation this nonsense is from, but once I get passed all the vomit that caked my computer after seeing this character's design, I found a pretty darn good set. Lots of good minion work in this set, I say. The Peon Ball is another aspect of the set I really like-- It has a lot of potential use, to the point where it makes me want to see this character in actual Smash. Too bad that will literally never happen. Point is, nice set, gets a vote probably, good job.

FATHER CORNELLO
by MasterWarlord

This is a terrible set. I hate it, and I hate you. You, specifically, reading this. You should feel bad.... for not making a set that is as quality as Father Corncob. It is actually a good multi-set set, I love it. I can't really put it into words, primarily because I'm sort of lazy and am honestly only putting these ads out so I can vote, but it's just very well done, even for a Warlord set. Just, read it, or something.​

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Uh, advertisements I guess? It was hard to pick just three... because every set was terrible. 0/10, all around. No votes for anyone.

GRANDMATRIARCHS
by ForwardArrow

Ok jack knives you know this set is good. I don't have to explain why it's good for the one point five people out there who set aside a week of free time to read the entirety of it, but for those of you who haven't read it: It, well, first it takes a set concept that I would describe as "absurd" and "where can I buy what you're smoking", and makes it not only viable, but interesting. From there, the interesting interactions between moves, the size, the neutral special... high quality. Good set. 3/10, at least.

CHOU-CHOU INFINITE
by Anime Trash Katapultar

I don't know what sort of japanimation this nonsense is from, but once I get passed all the vomit that caked my computer after seeing this character's design, I found a pretty darn good set. Lots of good minion work in this set, I say. The Peon Ball is another aspect of the set I really like-- It has a lot of potential use, to the point where it makes me want to see this character in actual Smash. Too bad that will literally never happen. Point is, nice set, gets a vote probably, good job.

FATHER CORNELLO
by MasterWarlord

This is a terrible set. I hate it, and I hate you. You, specifically, reading this. You should feel bad.... for not making a set that is as quality as Father Corncob. It is actually a good multi-set set, I love it. I can't really put it into words, primarily because I'm sort of lazy and am honestly only putting these ads out so I can vote, but it's just very well done, even for a Warlord set. Just, read it, or something.​
I was beginning to get a bit uninterested in MYM, but this lovely ray of sunshine has reinvigorated my spirit.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
While we already planned it in advance in order to try to get people to read more sets, we have extended the advertisement period an additional week. Get your ads in by Friday, April 24th, if you intend to vote!
Stuff you, I refuse to read any of them. :troll:

EDIT: I was joking BTW.
P.S: Which Jedi should I make a moveset for? Yoda, Obi-wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker or Luke Skywalker?

Last edited:

n88

Smash Lord
P.S: Which Jedi should I make a moveset for? Yoda, Obi-wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker or Luke Skywalker?
As kind of a middle-grounder (lacking Obi-Wan's signature defensive style or Anakin's bad cop aggression), Luke would probably be the most difficult to write, while Yoda's brand of swordfighting is most unique and probably easiest to hammer out into a distinctive moveset. Go with whatever you have ideas for.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Dhoulmagus

Obviously, I don't want to take too much attention from Cornello and Leopold given they're both absolutely fantastic sets and amongst Warlord's best. Dhoulmagus is another very high quality set though and one you shouldn't miss. It starts off by taking the at this point rather hated duplicates concept and ditching the guessing game aspect of it by making it clear which Dhoulmagus is real, but rather using the fact that there are 3 copies of him out to perform some very clever combinations, like catching their fireballs on rock platforms to create huge burning pillars or combining their constructs into larger, more powerful ones. They can do less flashy stuff too, like just blow around Dhoulmagus' other hitboxes or juggle fireballs while tossing them back and forth between each other, or simply abusing the properties of having out duplicates with counter moves or moves that are only really powerful if you specifically set up the opponent to land in them in a specific way. Its a very solid use of duplicates, never delving into uses for them that are just unfun which is an easy trap to fall into with that concept, with nothing nasty like an Ice Climbers chaingrab or leaving the opponent striking at nothing most of the match like the now terrible MYMX duplicates sets. Instead, it goes for an approach that lets players pretty much play off the concept of duplicates however they really want, with its huge playground of material for players to work with in the context of having 3 characters.

Viktor
So this is a set that's very narrowly missed my Super Vote list, and trust me it was painful to drop, because the execution here is pretty stellar. It takes the rather ambitious concept of upgrading every move in the entire set via the Neutral Special and what sells it is that the upgrades are almost always great. Each one of them expands his projectile playground a good deal, but you have to take into account which ones you want first because if you don't have a good selection you're just going to get crushed early. Or maybe you focus on the defensive moves to just try and stall out for the next options rather than going for the more aggressive projectile control, while it might sound like a pretty bland mechanic on paper there's actually a lot of depth to how you use it. The way the set uses projectiles is actually pretty innovative at points too, siphoning power off them, splitting them, and slingshotting them with the Chaos Storms and Gravity Fields to create some heavy variations in speed. There's a lot of solid last day stuff out there, but this is one that you absolutely cannot miss, its Froy's best set this contest and one of his best in general.

Vander Decken

Smady's stuff in general seems to have gone under the radar this contest compared to a few other MYMers, including myself, which is a shame, as Vander Decken is easily the best set posted on the last page and one of the best sets in the contest in general. I've never been terribly fond of homing projectiles, but Vander Decken does something pretty great with it by allowing you to choose absolutely anything for his projectiles to home in on, be it the opponent, the stage, another projectile, an item, some enemy minion from another MYM set, you name it. The most fun of those being able to use projectiles to alter each other's trajectory, and with the ability to swap them back to their normal patterns if you want that, there's basically no limit to what kind of formations Vander Decken can make. It helps that the actual projectiles are generally pretty cool, like the stacking knockback arrows, a projectile concept I've always been fond of, and the ground chunk which is a lot more balanced than most ride-able ground chunks on account of its slow and predictable flight path, but still is incredibly useful in its ability to let Vander Decken travel with his projectile stream to add an incredible amount of depth to his game. Even the melee game is very well designed, both in having way more to it than simple GTFO for set up and having a great variety of effects on projectiles that are stuck in the ground. Do not miss out on this set, it deserves a very high slot on any vote list.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
As kind of a middle-grounder (lacking Obi-Wan's signature defensive style or Anakin's bad cop aggression), Luke would probably be the most difficult to write, while Yoda's brand of swordfighting is most unique and probably easiest to hammer out into a distinctive moveset. Go with whatever you have ideas for.
I just thought of special moves that would fit on a Jedi, such as force pull, force push, and lightsaber throw.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm afraid that it's been a while since I've been to the page, in no small part due to the fact that my life has rapidly become incredibly hectic. I'm juggling a full-time job w/ overtime, a part-time teaching job, and trying to find a new place to live right now, along side a few other commitments. So I haven't been able to read sets this contest, and there's no way I'll be able to vote this time around.

The good news is, things are looking up for the future, and in a month or so I might have enough to time to start breathing again, get more than fifteen minutes sleep. Maybe even do both? I still imagine moveset ideas constantly... and barring anything else I can contribute right now, I have a few quotes that might give you guys some ideas of what I have in mind. Some will be easy, though I can guarantee some of them, no one will possibly get. In rough order of likelihood:

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?"

"Blub! What are you doing scaring me like that, blub blub?! Don't blub into my business. Bubbly Dance, blublublub!"

"This experiment will certainly kill you... but don't worry. You're more useful to me dead."

"You… you are the darkness in which all life dies, milord. All life… exists to feed your power, and my life… my life is yours."

"Did you think that reality could just exist? That when the universe began, there wouldn't be a reaction? I am the wake of all of creation. And I will return it to the oblivion it came from."

> You reveal the great annihilating butt

"I am the one true King on Heaven and Earth. The rest, are a mere collection of mongrels."

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Munomario, I read your Steve moveset. This reminded me that I was planning to create movesets for all of the creatures in the Mutant Creatures Mod on Minecraft, which I will do in Make Your Move 17.
Although I don't have many ideas for the Mutant Zombie yet. His Throw Attack could either be his Up Throw or his Up Special, which is annoying because Smash Bros. has loads of different attacks that exist.
Although the Mutant Enderman is gonna be a very unique moveset.

P.S: Your Steve moveset is great. I would vote for it but I haven't read that many movesets.

n88

Smash Lord
I just thought of special moves that would fit on a Jedi, such as force pull, force push, and lightsaber throw.
Whoever you go with, do your best to make the character come through. A moveset for Obi-Wan should feel distinctly like Obi-Wan; it shouldn't work as a moveset for Anakin or Luke or whomever.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Whoever you go with, do your best to make the character come through. A moveset for Obi-Wan should feel distinctly like Obi-Wan; it shouldn't work as a moveset for Anakin or Luke or whomever.
So my idea of having a 'Jedi' character with different costumes for the Jedi wouldn't work then. Cool.

I was planning to create movesets for all of the creatures in the Mutant Creatures Mod on Minecraft, which I will do in Make Your Move 17.
Although I don't have many ideas for the Mutant Zombie yet. His Throw Attack could either be his Up Throw or his Up Special, which is annoying because Smash Bros. has loads of different attacks that exist.
Although the Mutant Enderman is gonna be a very unique moveset.
I have decided to tell you a bit of what I'm planning for these movesets.
The Mutant Creatures will not be scaled down for smash. They will not be nerfed for balancing. Some of their features will be adapted to work in Smash, as all of them apart from the Creeper do not take knockback, except from powerful moves. You could say that they permanently have super armour, but it's more like the super armour found in Yoshi's Flutter Jump and Snake's Cypher. However certain moves with a set amount of knockback do inflict knockback and hitstun to them, such as the first hit of Pit's Forward Smash. This super armour disappears after they are damaged over 150%, though.
When I said they will not be nerfed for balancing, I did not mean that they don't have any weaknesses. Apart from the Mutant Creeper, none of the mutants can shield or sidestep, (except for the Mutant Enderman, he has a decent sidestep dodge) however they can roll. The Mutant Creeper can shield and roll but can't spot dodge. This more represents Minecraft in how there's no such thing as a shield in it, however I decided to give the Mutant Creeper a shield because he is the only mutant that doesn't have partial super armour.
If you don't know what the Mutant Creatures mod is then I suggest you go and do some research, being IMO one of the best Minecraft mods that exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

n88

Smash Lord
I've recently been accepted into study abroad program for the summer and won't be around for too much of the next contest, but I do hope to put up a set or two early on. Here are a few hints about what I've got in the pipeline:

Let me tell you a thing about me. People who love me suffer and die. I never want to be loved. That's why I always win.

By the dread Vipers of Valtorr!

I'm not seeking penance for what I've done, Father. I'm asking forgiveness... For what I'm about to do.

Congratulations, Wolverine. You are no longer the most screwed-over human in the history of the entire world.

By the Vishanti!

Last time I bothered prayin' for something, I got swindled outta my soul.

By the Moons of Munnopor!

I'm not a hero. I'm a thief. Born a thief. Raised a thief. Will die a thief.

You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet.

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Wang Chan

Wang Chan is as ridiculous as the series it comes from, and almost equally as enjoyable to read. Taking a half-joking approach to the whole "moveset" thing, Wang Chan is a one-day set that really utilizes every aspect of this one-off character in a really stupidly fun way. Whether it's the ridiculousness of Dio's head (coughManRaycough) on the pummel and eye lasers or the great vampire stuff sprinkled throughout the moveset, everybody should totally (vote) Wang Chan tonight (on voting day)
Warlord is also now obligated to make a DIO set in 100 years.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
So we're doing set previews, huh?

"Surrender your arms, or you force us to use force!"
"Remember that proposal I proposed we propose?"

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

Thaddius and Patchwerk somewhat struggled to gain attention even when people actually looked at the Naxxramas movement due to the controversy with the more prestigious movesets within it. Few points have been raised against Thaddius, though, and he’s still standing strong and very much worth your attention. Thaddius is a super heavyweight who can magnetically charge his opponents to be automatically be pulled in or pushed away from himself, and has plenty of strategies to make use of both effects throughout the course of the match. He has access to the patented Warcraft Chain Lightning that bounces about like Rob’s laser, as well as a “trap” version of Pikachu’s Neutral Special that will travel along his body like the stage and will pursue polarized foes.

While you wouldn’t think it from reading the primary moveset, Thaddius transitions very well into boss mode and gains great new contexts to use his moves in. Most prominently, Thaddius gains access to two minions that he can magnetically charge and bounce lightning off of. FrozenRoy also goes out of his way to make the basic functionality of his bosses in this movement unique from one another. While this sometimes doesn’t work out, Thaddius most certainly did not get the short end of the stick. He feels quite unique as a result of this process, with the most obvious example being that he needs two people to grab him at once in order to be properly restrained (Though he can still be thrown by one enemy, he is not stunned from it).

Slappy is a character from a “comedy” survival horror setting that doesn’t take itself remotely seriously. The franchise heavily relies on excessive props as seen in Rychu’s Frank West, and they are an even greater temptation on a character that comes across as cartoony as Slappy. This moveset does not take the easy route, though, and instead gets all of these traps out of the way within a single Special rather than having them all awkwardly take up inputs to “avoid filler” by spreading them out over multiple moves. For the rest of the moveset, Smash Daddy is largely left with some psycho in a mascot suit on roller blades with flamethrowers, not the easiest guy to make a full set for. He makes the most of this awkward bodytype and still finds further ways to emphasize his characterization. While the concepts of momentum and fire traps are far from exciting, the set rarely comes across as boring and will hold your attention with its good execution throughout.

Patchwerk, along with the other sets advertised in this post, was posted in the Halloween rush as part of the ambitious Naxxramas project. While he may not be as high concept of a set as Kel’Thuzad, Patchwerk is very aware of what it sets out to do and accomplishes it very well considering the brief time span it was produced in. Patchwerk plays in something of a “berserker” playstyle, entering a sped up mode where he is faster for 10 seconds, but upon it wearing off he is much slower. Besides this “mode”, he has a very powerful and fast attack that he can only use once every 10 seconds. While other popular sets have done similar techniques, Patchwerk really goes out of his way to take this concept to the offensive limit. He can use two attacks at once, one for each of his two weapons, though at the cost of greater ending lag. The abomination lord can also apply bleeding and poison status effects on his opponent that stack together and weaken the foe while powering up his own attacks, though the biggest reward is when you have them both on the foe simultaneously, providing much greater urgency in Patchwerk’s playstyle. One of FrozenRoy’s best tethers is in play here to ensure that the foe won’t get away during Patchwerk’s offensive outburst.

While all of the above techniques sound ludicrously powerful, Patchwerk is left very vulnerable after his rush and has to play as a more typical defensive heavyweight during his downtime. Still, even then, Patchwerk will find himself obligated to try to reapply his status effects, and can make use of the double weapon technique to try to cover himself better. Of course, there’s also always the option of going all in later on in a stock and entering his berserker mode a second time.

THIS IS NOT AN AD

Altis is actually a pretty fun moveset with admirable concepts up through the smashes. The universal gun kickback is well utilized to make moves interesting, and you get some great mileage out of a cloud platform and the ice. Aside from some complaints of later filler, the problem is the set comes across as rather confused and struggles with flow. With the constant kickback and longer ranged attacks, she comes across as more of a camper, and the many awkward attempts made at melee are largely useless and the attempted moves just exist to do things like make constructs (fireworks, clouds, ice) or interact with the bombs (grab-game). The bomb focused “interactions” come across as especially poor, as they take knockback basically the same as foes anyway with those moves just coming across more as just something to talk about when the bombs are brought up. Yes, a lot of what she’s doing is cool, but she’s not really equipped to be a full camper and the set isn’t presenting her as one.

The biggest problem is the set using a tether as a key element. While some flow into the tether is made with moves such as fsmash, it just serves to muddle the character’s playstyle. I have no idea why a character constantly focused with knocking herself back and long ranged moves would want to tie herself to the foe. Yes, some moves work better at slightly closer (never point blank) range. More flow is attempted by tethering yourself to the bomb, and I feel basically the same way about that as I do the grab-game. One of the primary attempts at making this actually flow on enemies is by having her use her kickback to drag foes off-stage and gimp them, which isn’t helped when I think the aerials dedicated to this role are quite weak.

While you did the best with what you set up with how the kickback mechanic works and the consistency is well done, it feels dumb to me to have a Special entirely dedicated to turning it on and off. It feels like it would almost always be on – even when using her melee game it feels like she would want it on. I think it would be easier to just have a handful of moves that do not do kickback to Altis. Besides, that way we could use the set as an actual good example of the “kickback” playstyle David has desperately been attempting with his recent sets.

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Carbink

Carbink is a clever little set that doesn't do much in terms of originality, but damned if it doesn't use every last ounce of character the Jewel Pokemon has. Stealth Rock in particular is played extremely well here, giving Carbink an incredibly useful trap that he can play off quite well with his other tools. Do I think Carbink should be the winner of MYM 16? Probably not, but it's a simple, fun, and overlooked set that has a little bit more going for it than most other 1-day Pokesets can lay claim to. Give it a re-read and consider it while voting.​

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I'm way too busy to be doing this, but oh well:

Advertisements:

Meganium:

Meganium.png

My favorite starter. Meganium's source is not really used for offensive purposes too much; she is normally used as a supporting role. This set embodies these tenets really well with its various powders, making it good at racking up damage and incapacitating foes, but awkward at KO ing. It is one set that will do really well in doubles. The only complaint I can figure is that some powders may be a bit too good, such as sleep and absorb, but other than that it's a great Pokéset.

Steve:

Steve.png

This set really encompasses the Mining parts of Minecraft. The recovery relies on blocks that one can set around, so one using this character will have to plan their block placement ahead of time in order to recover well without repercussions. Since he is a bit laggy in other regards, not to mention a bit weak, good use of the blocks is necessary in order to work well in battle. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is how edge guarding can be effected with any floating blocks, though it seems Steve will have a bit of trouble launching well, so it might even out.

Wizzro:

In his Hyrule Warriors Portrayal, Wizzro is shown as someone who's fighting tactic is to throw as many things at the enemy as possible in order to overwhelm the opponent with the size of the attacks. This set does embody this, what with all the dark energy balls he is throwing around. To me, he seems to resemble a slower, stronger Mewtwo who uses Shadow Balls for his standard attacks...plus fish. That's not to say there aren't issues with the set: the back throw spirit copy seems to be a bit too powerful, considering Wizzro can move almost freely during a grab, which in itself appears to be really good. Apart from this, the set overall is quite imaginative.

Last edited:

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Well... this snuck up on me. I'll certainly edit more detail in in the next 1 - 2 days, but for now, here's... something.

Advertisements:

Altis

She may be just a tad overshadowed by a certain goddess, but this unwitting angel proves to be a well made set with plenty of humor and a playstyle that's just deviously fun!

Kunkka

The wet admiral joins the fray with a very enjoyable mechanic. Normally playing it cool with a rather tactical fighting style, Kunkka can unleash an assault of torrential fury.

Lom Lobon

A floating, inhuman, mage, Lom Lobon controls the stage with it's various magical prowers. With it's combination of a heavyweight floater with campy moves, Lom certain does play a like a boss-y villain. You can laugh maniacally as you freeze, shock, or mind punk your foes! Also, this floating horror has a creepy and cool design, which is a bonus.

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Edits List:

- Astamon's Forward Smash changed for something less poopy (Original F-Smash included in spoiler at end)
- Viktor has had a small number of images added to his set and has had extras added into his set.
- Viktor's Forward Smash has been slightly nerfed for better balancing.
- Viktor has had his upgraded NAir reworked and the NAir overall has slightly reduced ending lag. Back Throw pretty much entirely reworked.
- The duration of Traxes, Drow Ranger's Frost Arrows has been reduced for balance and gameplay reasons (From 12 seconds to 7).
- The time it takes for Kunkka's Tidebringer passive to charge has been increased (from 5 seconds to 6.5)
- The duration and health on Nue's duplicates from her Forward Throw ahs been reduced.

Chou Chou Infinite

Chou Chou may have been a set posted early in the contest, but it would be a grave mistake to forget the undisputed GOD of the contest! Chou Chou tackles the incredibly hard task of mixing an overwhelming character with the concept of balance and pulls it off stupendously. The Moe Kill mechanic drives the early parts of the set and I love the way it mixes in the ability to change on the fly via matchups with the fact that, ultimately, nothing is beyond Chou Chou's ability to make herself as long as she is willing to work harder for it. Things like the Peon Ball mix in ridiculousness with a certain sense of groundedness, creating something with explosive possibilities locked behind rarity with lower yet still awesome functionality for those who fail to reach Chou Chou's lofty standards.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about this Katapultar moveset is how it mixes in overwhelming mechanics and creativity, in addition to the overflowing feeling of Mugen Souls, with keeping a sense of not letting the moveset go too far and remaining grounded in smash. Perfectly blending in the wild creativity of Katapultar with a surprisingly deep melee game, seamlessly mixing in attacks lower on "creativity" to blend in perfect functionality with the concepts and more are what make Chou Chou Infinite MY undisputed favorite set of the contest.

Genjo Sanzo

Coming back after making the mere Spider set of his in MYM14, Dr. Slavic has quickly risen in MYM by being an active and enjoyable member of the community, and while Genjo is not something I'd consider the best, it is a very solid set that would be very sad to overlook. One of the ways Slavic stood out is with his set choices, most notably his Read or Die sets which were quite enjoyable to read (Yomiko is also worth reading! But probably not dying).

Genjo takes the concept of extendable hitboxes in a way seen in previous movesets like Kyoko Sakura, but approaches them in a relatable in-smash and balanced way, weighing pros and cons of larger and smaller staves and taking more advantage of the unique properties each entails. But don't think this is mere boring faff: Moves like his vaulting Ruyi Bang Vault, his mobile Wilcox Cloud and the Ruyi Bang Vortex he has a rather exciting Specials section, supplemented by a solid melee game all throughout that is well aware.

Donnel may be Slavic's most famous set, but Genjo is my favorite of his, and well worth the look.

Prime Minister Honest (Featuring Guest Appearance by Syura)​

MYM16 was a rough contest for ForwardArrow set-wise, as he struggled to get out much this contest, but that doesn't mean that what he did make is bad. Case in point: The last day set of his, Prime Minister Honest. Ice Climber-esque sets are a rarely seen genre as-is, but Honest puts a fresh twist on things by allowing Honest to not only send out his partner as an AI controlled ally, but to temporarily replace him with one of the minions Honest can summon, since he is far too fat KIND to hurt his enemies. Honest.

Of course, just because Syura is expendable to his father doesn't make him expendable to the set, as Honest is far too hungry GOOD NATURED to truly fight the foe, requiring help from his partners in crime VALUED ASSOCIATES. This leads to a surprisingly good mix of a projectile game with Syura teleporting the foe around and a rather interesting melee game that juggles IC-styled interactions with minions and comes out with something good at the end.

IT would be terrible to point out the amazing writing style of the set, though, mixing in good natured ribbings at all of the flaws of the original while providing many laughs for the reader, intertwined with a moveset for such a non-fighting lardass PACIFSTIC MAN and the rather amusing interactions between the two. Even if you dislike what the set does, you'll have a blast reading Prime Minister Honest.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Advertising Period is now over! The vote gurus for this contest are FrozenRoy and Katapultar due to circumstances preventing ForwardArrow from guruing. Please send your votes to FrozenRoy and Katapultar.

LIST OF ELIGIBLE VOTERS:
Katapultar, Munomario777, Dr. Slavic, ChaosKiwi, ForwardArrow, MasterWarlord, Bionichute, Smash Daddy, IvanQuote, Conren, FrozenRoy

IN ADDITION

Due to Getcoolaid having posted two ads among seeming to just be busy on the last day, the user Getocoolaid will be eligible to vote if he posts his third ad by the end of Saturday. April 25th by Pacific Time.

Everyone, have fun voting. :) Voting period will last one week, but there's no bonus for sending it in early! So feel free to use as much of the week as you want reading more and more, especially if there is popular stuff unread or you're unsure if you've read enough (When in doubt, err on the side of reading more!).

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Hydrazoa

Hydrazoa is an awesome late contest set that everyone should check out before they vote. Pro wrestling mixed with an interesting slippery mechanic and way of moving around the stage makes for a fun playstyle and some interesting combos Hydrazoa is a set that'll take you to suplex city (population: you) and beat you down until you vote for it, nerd​

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
I hate this forum.
I was making a fun moveset for a character which I was going to post after the voting period.
I didn't continue it at all yesterday.
Now the saved draft is gone.
Meaning I've lost my progress.
Life is horrible.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hate this forum.
I was making a fun moveset for a character which I was going to post after the voting period.
I didn't continue it at all yesterday.
Now the saved draft is gone.
Meaning I've lost my progress.
Life is horrible.
My condolences, but I cannot reiterate enough how much you simply must save your movesets in a more permanent format. This sort of thing has happened in the past and it's no fun for anyone when it occurs. Even if you're doing most of your writing on Smashboards itself, backing up whatever you write on any type of word document cannot be recommended enough.

Top Bottom