• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

TheDude_Abides

Smash Cadet
Dude: the only way to get better is to play more. I'll be around all summer and so will Mundungu if you want to play more.
Definitely. Also, being around better players seems to help. I felt towards the end of the night I was starting to pick up on and correct some bad habits. Feel free to send me a PM whenever, I'm always down for some smash.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
September 10 is going to be the back-to-school bash for sure; I guess I could try to wrangle something this summer. Would anyone be interested in a late June/July tournament? The problem is I don't know if I can cheaply secure a venue for summer.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I've been trying just not shielding at all. It worked really well in teams, but in singles I get scared too easily and get caught in it.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
When is genesis?

This summer is it going to be just me, Mundungu, and the Dude? We should set up a weekly smashfest at least. I'm going to be in Grand Central on Johnson Street.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
This summer is it going to be just me, Mundungu, and the Dude? We should set up a weekly smashfest at least. I'm going to be in Grand Central on Johnson Street.
I'll be down on random weekends.

I'm so jealous of your Grand Central status.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
This weekend, Ryan taught me mindgames and I taught him techskill. y'all are doomed.
Also Sam is there a Mon/Wed forecast for smash?

sanchaz

Smash Lord
btw guys: I got a hold of tapion013, he's not interested in playing mvc3 either, however he would like to see it livestreamed, so I'm going to post the rules for mvc3 at the website, before doing so, ace is sep 10th final?

Mundungu: what the heck are the rules for a normal mvc3 tourney? and where can get I find people to come to the tourney?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
September 10th is more or less final, yes.

The forecast for this week is:
Monday: work
Wednesday: heavy smash in the Liz area from 12:30-4:30.

And I'm afraid of the new Frank and (somewhat) Ryan.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Sanchaz, if you want, I can just run the marvel tourney. I'll make a thread about it on srk later this summer.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
mundungu: good call, we'll talk about it later in the week of after my finals

john: I would seriously recommend you do so, but talking to me while your in a tourney match is a bad idea. your best bet will be going peach, good luck

Frank: thats my effin movie, curse you

Is that a question? You can show them the door, but they must walk through it.
I accept this statement.
john: I would seriously recommend you do so, but talking to me while your in a tourney match is a bad idea. your best bet will be going peach, good luck
I have no idea if talking to anyone works anymore. I felt like it made sense at first when I knew nothing about how the game was played, but now it feels more like trying to master the basics. Technical consistancy feels like the only thing other than figuring out how to play your opponent, but I that's not something people can tell you.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Hey, you should do this for my Chippewa tournament May 21st. You could run it and post a thread on SRK.
I def would, but I'm gonna be out of town on the 21st. I can still make a thread etc for it if you want me to, but I won't be there to run it.

yoshq

Smash Master
I def would, but I'm gonna be out of town on the 21st. I can still make a thread etc for it if you want me to, but I won't be there to run it.
Hmm, yes, you should. And sorry to hear. But yeah, that would be helpful, since I don't even have an account on there, much less know how to run it. Is that where I would post MK9 as well?

sanchaz

Smash Lord
clinton "we cannot be defeated" Obama- "justice has been served." Captain falcon mains are in tears of these words being said by very wise men. WE LOVE AMERICA

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
some poor choices I make became clearer, and ryan discovered lcanceling and wd oos. BTW Ryan I figured out what you're doing wrong in your sheik techchase on fastfallers.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
some poor choices I make became clearer, and ryan discovered lcanceling and wd oos. BTW Ryan I figured out what you're doing wrong in your sheik techchase on fastfallers.
you mean waiting for the spot dodge??? I know to sheild before getting to the other tech option, I was just to slow in not getting their in time too. next time I won't mess up. hahahahaha, wait a second, sheik advice from fruitloop???? sure I'm open to it, next time I see you.

I feel like going through marth, fox, sheik, falcon (lol), that sheik is my best character. I know I'm going to get comments like "your retarted sanchaz" but I feel as if sheik is a interestring character, as in getting the grab, options out of shield, etc. I'm going to go sheik in singles next tourney. lol, not against jigglypuff though

Fox is a technical character and I know that the next level for me to reach involves tech skill that I believe that I will never be able to get to, such as wavedash out of sheild, or shine upsmash. I can't get any better with this character. I seriously believe that mind games with him only get so far, and you mess up once, its your stock. however I can be very effective with him in teams, so I guess I will still play him....hahahahaha, and my main captain falcon

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Even minimally technical Fox can **** Sheik, though. waveshine->grab is too good.
you have to get the shine, sheik out ranges fox and has to keep him away, she has a better neutral position in general for that matchup, however, yea, fox gets in quite often, but sheik has that ***** thing of a grab to

Orly: you will have a harder time with fruitloop, consider changing mains, :D

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
When you're both just standing there in a neutral position, yeah, I'd admit Sheik has a slightly better position, but Fox is so much faster that they're never standing in a neutral position. He can weave in and out and nairs that land behind her->waveshine->grab are hard to tilt/grab. /johns

The only legit johns are "I suck," "My hands are cold," and "there were too many attractive men in my peripheral vision."

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Mindgames are not limited at all with fox. He probably has the highest ceiling of any character in the game, people just don't mind game when tech skill spam works. Plus it's really tough to keep up on mind games when playing fox since he is so technical.

YoshQ, I'll mention you're tourney on the forums, but idk who's going to run it. The rules are simple, its just best of 3 sets. Sets are 2 out of 3 rounds in MK, and one game in marvel, pretty simple. Do you have a tourney thread up?

john!

Smash Hero
The only legit johns are "I suck," "My hands are cold," and "there were too many attractive men in my peripheral vision."
that reminds me of the time i was playing chris at his house, and there were naked women on the other tv screen, and chris apparently couldn't concentrate, maybe because he's never seen a naked woman before? idk sounds like "pure, uncorrupted mind" johns to me :awesome:

yeah mundungu is right, fox allows for mindgames like any character, but it's easier to do well with fox if you are bad at mindgames and have only tech skill and reaction (compared to, say, marth).

ORLY

Smash Master
that reminds me of the time i was playing chris at his house, and there were naked women on the other tv screen, and chris apparently couldn't concentrate, maybe because he's never seen a naked woman before?
lol wuts a vagina

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I was talking to you about boost grabbing like 2 weeks ago...

Tomorrow I have to sign a lease at 4:30, so I'll be open for Smash from 12:30 to 4:30.

Sam, I want my power strip back for the summer, so make sure to bring it tomorrow. Probably have to remind you again.

Also, are we doing an event tomorrow of some sort? And as you requested, I have brawl minus and it works.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I've had your power strip for so long I forgot about it. You even have come over, played smash fof a couple hours, then left without remembering it lol. I already put it in my bag to bring tomorrow, so don't worry about it.

Top Bottom