• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Sanchez, before you quit Melee, teach me to play Fox just like you. I think I want to switch characters and you play Fox the way I want to.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
Sanchez, before you quit Melee, teach me to play Fox just like you. I think I want to switch characters and you play Fox the way I want to.
Creation of an unstoppable monster impending...

Also, Sanchez- don't quit. You are the true DDF.

:phone:

ORLY

Smash Master
When you play the way Sanchaz does, it's understandable that he'd want to quit; dude doesn't have any fun!

I play like 11 characters (some pretty poorly, admittedly) but I have a blast goofing off constantly. Take a vacation from playing like Sanchaz and you'll be refreshed.

TheDude_Abides

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, new to the forums but not new to smash (melee.) Never been a competition level player, but among casual players I'm not bad. Anyways, if someone would drop me a PM next time you guys get together, it would be appreciated. I do have a GC and 4 controllers to use.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
@The Dude Abides- come to Memorial Union between 6pm-midnight. We'll probably be in room B110. Just walk in the main entrance, take a left, and follow it into the basement.
Do you have a TV? We are hurting for setups, and a TV+GC and your own controller would be better than GC and 4 controllers (It's BYOC).

Ace, when did you decide you wanted to change characters (mains)?

TheDude_Abides

Smash Cadet
As it stands, neither of my TV's are conducive for transportation. One is an LCD that won't fit in my coupe, and the other would probably crush me if i tried taking it down the stairs by myself. However, I might do some digging at St. Vinnies before I go. I will bring my GC regardless. I might not be there until later in the evening, but I plan on seeing you guys there on thursday. Be on the lookout for a guy with extremely long hair.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I've kind of always wanted to switch since I think Fox is the best character, but losing a lot to that fast-*** Bowser when I know I could have easily won with Fox pushed me over the edge. Ryan has showed me that you don't need to be really technical to be good with Fox. Yep, I'm switching for real this time. I'll still play Sheik once in a while.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
characters are overrated. It has to be a pretty horrible matchup for a better player to lose to a worse player in a serious match.

Hope to see you thursday abides. I think another new person will be joining us too, as long as he is not busy with so many different projects.

Sam, Alan, and Matt are now all declared fox majors.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
skill>>tiers obviously, but I feel like I have a better chance of reaching my full potential as Fox. He has harder punishes, greater margin for error with his higher damage output and superior recovery, and he's so fast that anything you can dream, you can do.

I look forward to thursday.

Also, I recently downloaded brawl minus 2.0. So, we can play that this thursday for a bit if anyone is interested.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I have a better chance of reaching my full potential as Fox. He has harder punishes, greater margin for error with his higher damage output and superior recovery, and he's so fast that anything you can dream, you can do.
He also gets railed by C.Falcon, Marth, Puff, and Peach more than Shiek does. Well, that's probably only my Fox with those problems.
You also have better reflexes than I do.

@Fruitloop- Character matters. Well, Fox matters. To me. Otherwise I suck. A lot.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I would stay Sheik against Marth and Ganon. One of the main reasons for the switch is to be better against Fox/Falco/Puff. I'm not sure who I want to be against Falcon yet.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I suck. Legit johns. :p

I feel very disadvantaged against Fox and I have no idea how to fight Puff as Sheik. The obvious answer is to BE Fox.

I feel very disadvantaged against Fox and I have no idea how to fight Puff as Sheik. The obvious answer is to BE Fox.
Vino is the only one to play jigglypuff...
Sam is worried about jigglypuff because of one player...
So much so that he feels the need to play a different character...
Conclusion...
Vino's puff did bad things to sam's shiek....

Tell me something about this is not true.

Anyway, charge needles and use aerial needles from a platform. Get under her at an angle and use Fair/Bair/Nair. Ftilt landings. Needles whenever you get the chance. Do shiek stuff but at the right angles.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I've also lost badly to Jiggs players at tournaments.

As far as your recommendations, Jiggs can duck needles or jump over them and hit you, from the air they can duck to dodge the follow-up grab, ftilt doesn't combo into anything, fair doesn't kill until 100+%. Bair is really good, but Jiggs can spam it more than I can. It just seems a lot easier as Fox.

Frank's fast-*** Bowser also made me want to switch. He went 6-3 against my Sheik, but I could see the holes and just couldn't get there fast enough. Fox could have. Also, Fox's easy auto-combos are more damaging than Sheik's, and his edgeguarding is just as good.

Good players feel free to pick apart my argument.

I'll miss our competitive diversity.

Oh, and colors can be assigned to posts now by default.
It's in "edit your details"

john!

Smash Hero
switch characters if you want, it's all up to you, but don't force yourself to quit sheik, you might find that you're not talented with fox at all and that your sheik will always be better.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Yeah, It's just an experiment for a smashfest or three. I may switch back, I'm not burning any bridges with my girl. She'll always be there for me when I need her.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Do you fit your character stereotypes? lol Ken's Peach player theory

And we've already discussed this: if Sheik is a man, then i'm gay for Sheik. Dayum, those sexy legs. Sheik's bair is the sexiest move in the game.

ORLY

Smash Master
Playing Fox won't fix your problem. There are things both characters are good at.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times; pick a character that synergizes with what you're good at.

Sheik has an answer to everything. If what you're doing doesn't work, mix it up!

Just my two cents, Ace.

TheDude_Abides

Smash Cadet
I am extremely excited for this Thursday. I am curious as to how my skills match up to the rest of the field, since you all seem to have alot of experience. Roy may not be the best character, but he fits my playstyle.

As a sidenote, I might need some help with event 36 and event 51 if ppl want to play final destination. How Ness is supposed to beat Fox, Falcon and Falco in a row is beyond me -.-

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
So he admits it! :troll:
Falco vs Falcon is a completely fair and balanced matchup which may even be in Falcon's favor because of very genuine reasons such as his name has an extra letter and because he is a captain, whereas Falco needs to wait for clearance from Fox before doing battle.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
If Falcon players would just flex more to reflect lasers and have Falco's puny bird legs bounce off him they would do a lot better in the matchup.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I'll be there all night tonight, and I'll bring a setup. Sanchez if you want to play some marvel, bring your xbox.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I'll be there all night tonight, and I'll bring a setup. Sanchez if you want to play some marvel, bring your xbox.
lol, its on thursday. plus its a ps3. so should I bring 2 controllers then? thats sounds like a great idea. I just don't want to play smash.

OMG moment this year: I pissed off my roomate so much that he took like EVERYTHING out of our room and told me to "shove meat boy up my ***, I'm keepin it". However I think its all of his fault, but the university is also pissed at me, lol. They sent me a letter to kick me out of housing, hahahahahahaha.

Btw I also majorin social work, :D

Top Bottom