• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Rider, Rides Again For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I Noticed there was no Super Smash Bros Ultimate support thread for Mach Rider and I've been really waving the flag for him/her lately as I believe he/she has a much better shot at getting in this game than most seem to be giving him/her credit for, so here is a support thread for Mach Rider!

Mach_rider.png

Who is Mach Rider?

Mach Rider is the main protagonist of the 1985 NES game of the same name. The game is a "futuristic driving game" and "takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a high-powered superbike, searching for survivors and destroying any enemies in his path." The Mach Rider series has remained mostly dormant but is often considered the spiritual precursor to the F-Zero series and thus Mach Rider the spiritual precursor to captain falcon.

machresdefaultlol.jpg

there was an arcade sequel called Vs. Mach Rider. in which as the player completed a level, an image was revealed of a woman with a dagger standing next to Mach Rider's bike. It is unclear whether this is meant to represent Mach Rider's true identity, or if she is a survivor of the resistance. she is not present in the NES original, but this has lead many to believe Mach Rider may secretly be a female protagonist much like Samus in the original Metroid game.

tumblr_inline_nowp17Uzai1siyyqt_400.png

Mach Rider was also the name of a very old toy Nintendo sold back in 1972, this was just a race car with the same name as the series with little resemblance to the character Mach Rider but regardless the name and legacy is a very old part of Nintendo history.
mach_rider_01.JPG

What is Mach Riders connection to the Smash Bros. Series?

Mach Riders main theme music has appeared in the Smash Bros series since Melee and Mach Rider was even considered as a playable character for that game and Sakurai has said he really liked the characters name "Mach Rider". Mach Rider has been both a trophy and a sticker in past Smash Bros games. Sakurai has also mentioned when he asks people from his generation who they'd like to see in smash they usually say someone from Mach Rider or The Mysterious Murasame Castle .
Mach_Rider_Trophy_Melee.png
What kind of a play style could Mach Rider have?

Mach Rider could fight on and off his bike. mach rider carries a large gun off of his bike and the bike itself also has guns mounted to it so Mach Rider would likely use a lot of projectiles. Mach Rider could be very fast on his bike while also being a fairly heavy fighter weighed down by armor and heavy weapons. The game also involves oil spills and barrels which could be worked into Mach Riders arsenal somehow. Mach Rider upon crashing breaks apart and then reforms with a very cool animation for a NES game, this could be part of Mach Riders K.O. animation in smash bros much like megamans unique one.

Why is Mach Rider likely to get into Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

There was an interview back in December 2016 where sakurai said he bought a "vifam robot" toy for its gun to model some upcoming game. the gun and even the toy itself look very similar to mach rider and his gun: https://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/ Now sakurai isnt a 3D programmer needing objects to look at to model for the game, hes a visionary who needs to come up with how characters move and act in the game. if mach rider is always holding his gun he'd need to be able to model how mach rider would look when running, jumping, grabbing etc... while always holding that gun. its a visionary designer tool not a computer programing tool. sakurai isnt getting a toy for every item in the game to 3D model it for instance, thats unnecessary, its about being able to see if an idea for a characters movements will physically work and i can think of no other fighter who would carry around a long barreled gun like this.
robot_damashii_vifam.jpg
Takamaru is an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and so we have no clear front runner for playable retro rep, and sakurai has in the past stated he's considered making mach rider playable which I believe makes him our front runner for retro character (if of course we get one this time). The other highly likely retro rep is excitebiker, though that would be a difficult character to make a moveset for, Mach Rider is much more of a fighter and i propose sakurai could opt to have Mach Rider represent excitebike as well (much the same way Duck Hunt also represents the game Wild Gunman) as both games involve riding on a motorcycle. sounds, animations, and color schemes from excitebike could be fused into Mach Riders playstyle and moveset to create a character that represents both series well.

Here is a video I made explaining my reasoning for why I believe Mach Rider has a good shot at becoming a playable character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

And here is a short animation mock up I made of Mach Rider transitioning from standing to riding using sound effects from the excitebike series as well as Mach Riders own theme song, which is no stranger to the Smash series.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
Wow, coincidentally I was just about to make a thread for Mach Rider. I was surprised there wasn't one already when you consider he's one of the most likely retro reps, especially since Takamaru is still an assist trophy. Sometime later I'll work on a moveset for him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Good it's up now I'm in for support

As a matter of fact your the one who convinced me

Oh by the way he may also be revisiting ideas from past smash bros

Sukopon was considered for a item in smash melee and now here she is as a assist trophy

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Oh Mach Rider will be dupe love to see her in Smash Ultimate lets have that Captain Falcon vs Mach rider dream battle we could make it happen. If I cant have Lip hope Mach Rider will be the new chosen retro rep. I do support Mach Rider.

Last edited:

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
One thing I will say is that I hope Mach Rider is male-- I have nothing against female fighters but the "masked warrior is actually a woman" trope is already present in Smash(and done better) with Samus.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I support Mach Rider. Would love to see what the team that created Falcon’s moveset can do with bicycle Falcon with guns.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
i should point out that even though sakurai wanted the gun from the robot the robot and mach rider share similarity

(red and light green are the most important ofcoarse)

Toy and Mach rider comparison.png

And i saw a few more a few of them claimed the word "Curret project" about the toy

that sounds like its smash bros to me since thats what he was working on at that time

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Aside from being persuaded by the video, I had a realization about how it would make sense in terms of gameplay to have Mach Rider hold the gun out visibly most of the time in order to help easily distinguish him from Captain Falcon visually and silhouette-wise when they're both in the fight, and also make him stand out in a large roster so he isn't just some armored biker man.

In addition, Mach Rider has my support.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Good it's up now I'm in for support

As a matter of fact your the one who convinced me

Oh by the way he may also be revisiting ideas from past smash bros

Sukopon was considered for a item in smash melee and now here he is as a assist trophy
Glad I could convince you! I mean I'm always prepared for surprises in smash so whether thats less talked about characters getting in or my own speculation being wrong I'm never 100% on any character. but when a character is generally thought of as having almost no chance but actually has a very good case for their inclusion... I cant help but try and push them into the spot light a bit more.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Mach Rider Reveal with troll use with Mario Kart 9 oh look you could drive as Kirby and Captain Falcon in Mario Kart but no Mach Rider in Smash Ultimate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Mach Rider! Honestly, I'm a little surprised there wasn't a support them for him/her before now...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Just dropping in to say I'd love Mach Rider in Smash, I think he has the potential to be a really intresting retro character.

I still think a retro character is still very likely for Ultimate, simply because I believe that Sakurai has a lot of fun creating these types of characters. Since these characters often lack a defined personality, Sakurai is able to take extensive creative liberties to recreate them when introduced into smash, basically its the closest Sakurai can get to creating OC characters for smash bros.
:ulticeclimbers: Smash bros. introduced the whole battle duo and ice bending elements to the characters
:ultgnw: a conglomeration of the whole g&m console, there was no character named mr. game and watch before melee, so he's basically a smash original character.
:ultpit:Completely redisgned by Sakurai
:ultduckhunt: Introduced the concept of the duck, dog, and light gun working together in one character, paired them with other zapper games.

With
, I feel Sakurai could have a field day with reinventing him while bringing him back to smash. All we know about the mach rider is that he lives in a post apocalyptic world and drives an advanced motorcycle. He's so different from the usual tone of the other retro characters and the rest of the roster, it would be cool to see a Mad Max style biker in Smash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Too bad this thread isn't getting much love, but Papageno's video made me wanna stop by to reinstate my support. I was a big fan of his for a while during Smash 4's development. Some of my doodles from back then:

I believe Sakurai has revealed all stages in the game, meaning no new series characters, and yet while Mach Rider is technically a new series... there isn't exactly an iconic stage for Mach Rider, so he'd feel right at home on an F-Zero stage.

Another thing about Mach Rider, his series really takes a lot from Mad Max. I wonder if Mad Max being successfully rebooted would make Sakurai feel like it's an appropriate time to bring back Mach Rider lol.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Too bad this thread isn't getting much love, but Papageno's video made me wanna stop by to reinstate my support. I was a big fan of his for a while during Smash 4's development. Some of my doodles from back then:

I believe Sakurai has revealed all stages in the game, meaning no new series characters, and yet while Mach Rider is technically a new series... there isn't exactly an iconic stage for Mach Rider, so he'd feel right at home on an F-Zero stage.

Another thing about Mach Rider, his series really takes a lot from Mad Max. I wonder if Mad Max being successfully rebooted would make Sakurai feel like it's an appropriate time to bring back Mach Rider lol.

All that art is awesome!

Mach's music track was also shown by name during the direct and while i still hold a little hope for mach and think mach riders a very cool retro choice and really liked theorizing about why mach could potentially happen, i sadly must concede i no longer think machs very likely.

i feel if they planned to reveal mach rider as a playable character they wouldnt have shown the "mach rider" song so off handedly.

i'll still be supporting and pushing for mach and if it happens ill be very excited but i can no longer say mach is "likely" and probably wont be predicting mach when speculating. sad, but thats how smash speculation goes sometimes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Thanks!

I suppose that's fair. Though the track has been in Smash ever since Melee, and with over 800 tracks, it didn't seem like a big reveal to me lol.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Honestly, I just want another retro character! G&W, Rob, and Duck Hunt are three of my favorite characters because of how unique they are. While I haven’t played mach rider I’m sure he’d bring a very unified moveset which I definitely try out

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know if any of you guys have notice, but Mach Rider's trophy has been missing since Brawl. Duck Hunt had a trophy in Melee and didn't have one in Brawl. This could be a hint that Mach Rider is still on Sakurai's radar. I hope he get's in so he has my full support.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Definitely got my support. I wanted him ever since I saw his melee trophy, which they made look extremely cool for no reason other than "just because" ...I also kinda liked the NES game, not even in my top 10 but I still liked it and think it's got potential for a remake.. actually riding around on the Master Cycle Zero in Breath of the Wild gave me a vision of an open world post apocolyptic game just like BOTW, but you get the cycle from the start, it can ride up much steeper hills than the MSZ, has mounted guns, and has a glider installed so you don't have to jump off to ride off a cliff.

Bowser Junior created precedent for vehicle fighters. So there's no excuse anymore.

i feel if they planned to reveal mach rider as a playable character they wouldnt have shown the "mach rider" song so off handedly.
You know I actually had the same thought about the Boxing ring being revealed before Little Mac was, so I'm not ready to give up hope yet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I think if Mach Rider received a reboot, the perfect setting would be a Mad Max post-apoclyptic setting. Or would that be too cheesy? The only Nintendo game I can think of with such a setting is Advance Wars : Days of Ruin.

What do you all think?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Prima leak has Mach Rider, so that is something.

I want her because she has a bike and I like bikes.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Prima leak has Mach Rider, so that is something.

I want her because she has a bike and I like bikes.
Prima leak is fake. No inkling mentioned, no star man AT mentioned, Wii saftery strap man as an AT (that alone should say fake), and Vault Boy playable(also red flags as Vault boy is not even playable or real in the fallout series, just a PSA man in cartoons)

What most likely happened was someone at gamestop saw in the system that the prima guide appeared. This happens before offical announcments a few times(I know I worked at gamestop for a full year and have done only holidays the past 5 years) so they tried to rush out stuff that would be covered in a prima guide, but was in a rush to beat the offical news report they forgot to fact check.

Though I do feel Mach Rider is a chance(and we can confirm she is really a she!) I wouldn't mind Mach Rider as she could do some cool stuff, and maybe somehow reference Excite bike in some of her moves or specials(like duck hunt and light gun games)

I would rather have Lip, Ayumi, or Donbe and Hikari, but wouldn't be mad with Mach Rider

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Prima leak is fake. No inkling mentioned, no star man AT mentioned, Wii saftery strap man as an AT (that alone should say fake), and Vault Boy playable(also red flags as Vault boy is not even playable or real in the fallout series, just a PSA man in cartoons)

What most likely happened was someone at gamestop saw in the system that the prima guide appeared. This happens before offical announcments a few times(I know I worked at gamestop for a full year and have done only holidays the past 5 years) so they tried to rush out stuff that would be covered in a prima guide, but was in a rush to beat the offical news report they forgot to fact check.

Though I do feel Mach Rider is a chance(and we can confirm she is really a she!) I wouldn't mind Mach Rider as she could do some cool stuff, and maybe somehow reference Excite bike in some of her moves or specials(like duck hunt and light gun games)

I would rather have Lip, Ayumi, or Donbe and Hikari, but wouldn't be mad with Mach Rider
Didn’t he set his birthday as April 1st? It’s fake. Although Bethesda and Nintendo have talked Smash...

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ll support Mach Rider along with Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, and Stanley the Bugman from Donkey Kong 3 for retro representation, I’ll be happy if even one just makes it.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost certain that the Prima leak is full of crap but boy the one part of it I really want to be real is Mach Rider. His trophy looked so incredibly badass in Melee, and his theme song is one of my favorite music tracks in all of Smash Bros. Count me in as a supporter! He is absolutely my number one pick for a Retro fighter for Ultimate.

Basty

Smash Ace
Mach Rider is behind excitebiker for most wanted retro, but I think he'd create more hype for me (I'm personally expecting Excitebiker as year 1 DLC)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yes, Hello I support. BTW pretty sure she is female, Nintendo had a magazine image with her without her helmet.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
He has my support! Been wanting him since Melee.

Just add in a good portion of Captain Falcon's moves (with Mach Rider's bike being both his Side B and a part of his Final Smash) and stuff from his game and he would make a very good semi-clone! (with unique special moves).

Plus Super Smash Bros Crusade (if anyone has ever heard of it), has Mach Rider on it's roster and he has a very workable moveset that would be very fitting for the main Smash game!

Last edited:

JMac52

Smash Cadet
While Balloon Fighter is my most wanted Retro admittedly, I would be really happy to see Mach Rider in the game too. MR’s theme and design are both awesome. Sign me up as a supporter.

Top Bottom