• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K's Side Event/Tournament Idea

Would you be interested in a side event or tourny where you could ban a character of your opponents?

• Yes (side event only)

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Yes (tournament)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Yes (Both)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Yes (Viewing/watching but not entering)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 25.8%

• Total voters

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Someone should host a Melee national where you can ban one of your opponent's characters. So you are forced to be good all-around at melee to win the set.
This sounds somewhat like a troll/joke post at first, but I would find that incredibly interesting to watch/see the results of. Even if it isn't a national or is just a side event at one. It sounds like the perfect rule to outline a side event. I also don't know if it has ever been done before.

I made this thread in part because I didn't want this discussion to possibly end up taking place in the LGL thread where it just began as well as the fact that I personally like the idea. I will not be hosting a tournament so it would be up to some random TO to even implement this event.

I also probably should have put this in tournament discussion and F'd up when I put it here because the idea originated within a melee discussion. Move or close this if needed.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Banning characters sounds like an interesting strategy--it would force people to be more diverse. As a Ganon player though I'd love it--ban Sheik and my worst matchup is gone. I can also ban fox if they don't play Sheik and I basically have a 50/50 with most characters. If Ganon gets banned I just pick CF. LOL

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
there should be a lot of stages made legal for this side event

it'd be interesting to see counterpick choices having more weight than actual gameplay lmao

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Personally, I'd really be interested in this as a side event (potentially for brawl as well), it'd be pretty interesting seeing some of the better player's secondaries.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
falcon might be top 4 in least entertaining characters in this game

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
as someone who doesn't solo main in any smash game, this sounds fun!

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I'd support the hell out of this, it would strongly encourage side character development and would grow each character more. Especially if more top players chose other characters outside their normal.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
who does solo main anyway
they atleast have a random scrub fox or shiek
but this will give low tiers their time to shine
lets do this for bracket, nit just a side event
look at the pool

phish-it

Smash Champion
Low tiers don't get any chance to shine; they aren't low tier because they lose to one character. Besides, your opponent can ban your said low tier character anyway.

But sure why not, sounds fun anyway.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I actually like this idea

Why is this even a new idea? How did we not already thing of this?

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see this. Having diversity is not only more entertaining, but it's helpful and fun! I mean damn, I play about twelve characters evenly, and I never get "smashed out". Plus you'd get to see what top players can do on other characters. I wanna see more of HBox's Ness, Vudujin's Roy, Axe's Y.Link, etc.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I'm glad other people like this idea. I also think it could potentially help advance the meta if done right.
Not quite sure about giving low tiers a time to "shine" but it would give them the chance to ban their worst matchup, which would be huge.
As Krynxe said, I also have no clue how this was never a thing/idea before.

Ya but you can just ban Falcon vs known Falcon players and then there wont be falcons in top spots.
Maybe Mango. He'd choose Falcon before Puff, and if someone banned his Falco and Fox in finals (assuming we take M2K's suggested rule for finals) I'd see him going Falcon. It also might make/help other Falcons finally pick up CP a character which would probably help their tournament placing. And I want a Falcon to break the curse even if they need to use a CP.

Lastly as Nicholas said, I wouldn't mind seeing this in brawl as well. Most would just ban MK or ICs (or both in finals) who IMO make the most boring and sometimes time consuming matches especially if you ever watch. Whobo tournaments which bans MK anyways could even instill this rule in their main tournament IMO. I'd also like to see/make M2K play a different character than MK just to see how it'd go.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i understand exactly what they're doing and that's why i am not entertained. i've nothing against those players (darkrain is one of my IRL friends), the character is simply very boring in [relevant] competitive play.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm glad other people like this idea. I also think it could potentially help advance the meta if done right.
Not quite sure about giving low tiers a time to "shine" but it would give them the chance to ban their worst matchup, which would be huge.
As Krynxe said, I also have no clue how this was never a thing/idea before.

Maybe Mango. He'd choose Falcon before Puff, and if someone banned his Falco and Fox in finals (assuming we take M2K's suggested rule for finals) I'd see him going Falcon. It also might make/help other Falcons finally pick up CP a character which would probably help their tournament placing. And I want a Falcon to break the curse even if they need to use a CP.

Lastly as Nicholas said, I wouldn't mind seeing this in brawl as well. Most would just ban MK or ICs (or both in finals) who IMO make the most boring and sometimes time consuming matches especially if you ever watch. Whobo tournaments which bans MK anyways could even instill this rule in their main tournament IMO. I'd also like to see/make M2K play a different character than MK just to see how it'd go.
Well I have a strong Falcon so if everyone bans Ganon vs me, I think i can be a contender with Falcon since no one can use their mains, now that I think about it, I could be a top Falcon alt in those tourneys.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Well I have a strong Falcon so if everyone bans Ganon vs me, I think i can be a contender with Falcon since no one can use their mains, now that I think about it, I could be a top Falcon alt in those tourneys.
Captain falcon doesn''t have a ton of intricacies or is at least less intricate than other characters so with proficient fundamentals [check] and knowledge of your combos [?] you really should be fine, Kage, playing falcon at any tournament at any level. Just an opinion. Hell you might place better lol.

You gotta bring back that sweet green Falcon for SS.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
im only doing this in brawl if people do it in melee (the better game overall by far mainly because of combos). I actually play all the chars in melee but i don't get to use them. Because of that, I never really even attempted to learn the other chars in Brawl, besides KingDedede for a few months.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
im only doing this in brawl if people do it in melee (the better game overall by far mainly because of combos). I actually play all the chars in melee but i don't get to use them. Because of that, I never really even attempted to learn the other chars in Brawl, besides KingDedede for a few months.
I'm not surprised by this.... I'd still like to see you play a different character in brawl though. Well not IC's... Rather your MK than that lol. Also i better see more of your Roy if/when this side event happens.

dkuo

Smash Lord
id do this, sounds fun

you should bring it up to 3 char bans (5 in finals) to make it interesting. but thats just me

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I actually like this idea

Why is this even a new idea? How did we not already thing of this?
It's not really a new idea. In secondary-only side tournaments, it's customary to have your opponent decide what character you can't use if there's a dispute on who your main is. This is basically the same thing, no?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
banning characters with strategies leaves a lot more interesting possibility in counter-picking

Armada

Smash Lord
I do think this is something that should only be maximum a side event.
I can understand that it would be fun to try or fun in generall but I don't think it should replace the way people play the game now.

The fact you can't use your best char is something that I consider bad. Of course this is based on what you value most. Either the best a player possibly could preform (then you need your best char) or how good you are with chars overall. I do think to truley even be close to understand how deep this game is and to see somewhere near perfection you need to be able to play your main a lot.

In a ruleset like this it is basically not even worth it to play your main (if you have one outstanding) since it will always be banned anyways.

The metagame on absolutely top level is advancing further/faster because people have the chance to play their mains in tournaments all the time (also a big reason to practice their mains in the meantime). Ofc chars that is not played as much would improve their metagame but it would be more that we devide the power into more chars meaning less chars will have a "outstanding" metagame.

Well just randomly put my thought into this subject. Could be fun to try as a side event but not something I think should become standard

dkuo

Smash Lord
hey you dont know man. once you start this thing and people start getting into it more, theyll argue for it replacing the standard ruleset, one thing leads to another and in 2015 MBR ruleset will be luigi only super sudden death with beamswords or something

it could happen

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
This would be interesting in teams IMO.
I would surely like to see a Ness, game&watch or any odd character being picked second game due to the ban and players choice of secondary character.
It would be a interesting implement in doubles.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
Low tiers don't get any chance to shine; they aren't low tier because they lose to one character. Besides, your opponent can ban your said low tier character anyway.

But sure why not, sounds fun anyway.

i feel like pika is a low tier cause of shiek lol.. pike mu's with all the other characters are the same as faclon

zZz

Smash Apprentice
We should absolutely test this as a side tournament but this could very well be a separate tournament style altogether. Like Armada said it would be based on what you value more... best single character overall or best overall player. The way finals have been on these last few tournaments with the way people counter pick each other definitely makes me more open to the idea of banning mains.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i feel like pika is a low tier cause of shiek lol.. pike mu's with all the other characters are the same as faclon
nah
pika has a way harder time with peach, ics, and ganon than falcon does.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I feel like my main would just get banned and I would have to whip out my scrubby Fox or Sheik to play people who have legit secondaries

That would totally blow

For you omni-mains this would be a chance to flex though

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
This would be interesting in teams IMO.
I would surely like to see a Ness, game&watch or any odd character being picked second game due to the ban and players choice of secondary character.
It would be a interesting implement in doubles.
If you ban fox for a fox main do you really think they'd go ness? Even if you got to ban their shiek, it'll just end up being falco vs. marth

i like CSP more than this tbh.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
If you ban fox for a fox main do you really think they'd go ness? Even if you got to ban their shiek, it'll just end up being falco vs. marth

i like CSP more than this tbh.
Not really, But would eliminate fox/falco play next game. Most players will probably counter pick into other top tier characters such as Marth, Peach, Falcon, ect. This would probably benefit low tier users such as Axe because you would most likely ban their mains.
All this rule would do would implement more variety of game play and more entertainment to watch.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I actually was talking to MDZ about this.

Crew battle, silent auction style, all proceeds going to a charity. Bids aren't done by the players, but by spectators ahead of time.

Top 10 bids (for a 5 v 5) do this:

1. Write down the 10 players in order of preference
2. Write down character they have to play.

So, for example:
#1 bid has order of preference Mango, Axe, etc. Character: Ness
#2 bid has order of preference Mango, M2K, etc. Character: Peach

Mango was selected first by both bidders, but #1 put more money down, so Mango has to play Ness. #2 can't pick Mango, so M2K is going to play Peach.

Top Bottom