• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

m2k's Marth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
im really drunk right now., but i dont give a ****. ;.ole what the fufk/., im all for the ****. i like kens marths better thabn m,2es,, but m2k wilkl be the best melee player there every way. quote me on thisat ****s. i cant be ****ing quotexd. i never said that m,3k wasnts hte best ever. because he uis. no doubt. il;;;; all about it.

The Ocho

Smash Cadet
Once again, I'd like to reiterate, the M2K vs. Ken debate is sheerly an opinion matter. Its like Brady vs. Manning. If you're all about being technical, then M2K, but if you're about just winning, and gettin the money for it, Ken's your dude.

Scar

#HarveyDent
The Ocho... I disagree. M2K has won their most recent Marth dittos by a fairly large margin, and M2K consistently wins more tournaments than Ken does. Yes, Ken won EVO, but I think that everyone knows that the ruleset there was flawed. I mean most of the results don't make much sense at all anyways.

idk I think it's readily apparent that M2K is a far better player at this point. A year ago maybe we would have this discussion, but not anymore.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'd like to point out that being "The Best" is not a constant state, and, despite the fact that melee is currently obsolete, the most recent national tourney really speaks volumes. Whether you want to attribute Mango's success to 'luck' or whatever, I will respond to comments of that sort with a resounding "NO JOHNS"

Objectively, based upon results alone, there is no consistent "BEST" player.

However, I made a long post about this the other day, really more for myself than to actually post, but basically I said this:

M2K is the best at Melee while Ken is the best at Money.

AngryJimmy

Smash Cadet
lol

Fyi - you guys are squabbling like little children.

Ken seems like a narcissistic little girl and M2K displays a need for maturing by bothering to respond to the garbage Ken posts.

You both look stupid when you make replies like these.

This is one of the best games I've ever played - along with Melee; however, I laugh at everyone who humbles themselves in front of some teens because they're good at a video game the majority of the world has never heard of :psycho:

Asking for advice is one thing - metaphorically sucking their ***** is another.

Drephen

Smash Master
rofl @ m2k being the best melee player

if we are going by who won the most recent tourney then mango is the best lol

but if we are going by record then its ken

facts are facts

Giff

Smash Rookie
true true. Drephen makes a good point...............lol.

m2k sounds like a sore loser and a whiney ***** who does nothin but brings himself down and tries to find sympathy after.

f that . man up .

Cort

Apple Head
I think after Drephen said his Marth is better than M2K's and then said Mango is the best or Ken is the best according to 4 year old tournaments, there has to be something up

OMAR the O

Smash Cadet
Fyi - you guys are squabbling like little children.

Ken seems like a narcissistic little girl and M2K displays a need for maturing by bothering to respond to the garbage Ken posts.

You both look stupid when you make replies like these.

This is one of the best games I've ever played - along with Melee; however, I laugh at everyone who humbles themselves in front of some teens because they're good at a video game the majority of the world has never heard of :psycho:

Asking for advice is one thing - metaphorically sucking their ***** is another.
lol kill yourself plz

HolyChef

Smash Ace
true true. Drephen makes a good point...............lol.

m2k sounds like a sore loser and a whiney ***** who doesn't nothin but brings himself down and tries to find sympathy after.

f that . man up .
doesn't nothin
doesn't nothin
doesn't nothin
doesn't nothin

i love everyone's arguements btw.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
M2K is the best marth in the world. There is no arguing this. We're going by who's the best at this moment in time. Maybe Mango is for his impressive and totally insane comeback in the loser's bracket and finally defeating m2k. However, I'm saying that m2k is the best marth and that is indisputable. I also happen to think he is the best in the world, but I guess that can be argued by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Drephen

Smash Master
rofl let m2k fight his own battles

i thought this was about m2k's marth in brawl anyhow

i suck at brawl so i aint doing money matches just yet, but melee hells yeah

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
Why do you say that to people?
This is completely off topic, but-

I really like your character man. Not only do you go out of your way by going into noob threads to answer questions, but (I'm not really sure how to phrase this best, so what the hell) you have a cool sense of morality. It'd be awesome to smash with you sometime.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt this divine flow of worthless argumentation. Regards.

The King

Smash Ace
Lmao. Building support for mew2king as the better player simply because he's the best performing melee marth now, is like trying to build a case that Holyfield is a better fighter than Ali, simply because Holyfield has been performing well in more fights recently than Ali.

...See what I'm getting at here? Ken has been willingly absent from the melee tournament scene since pretty much the end of the '06 MLG season, with just a few sporatic appearances at OC3, Evo World and Super Champ Combo. And I'd spoken with him before all those tourneys; the only one he even came close to giving a **** about playing well at/practicing for was EVO. The guy just hasn't cared in forever, nor has he seriously competed or traveled since then compared to any of the other top melee players since. To build a case simply because M2K's been performing better then Ken...when Ken's been totally absent from melee tourneys...is a little blind-sided. So by one definition of "Best", then Mew2king is obviously better, because Ken is non-existant anymore in the tourney scene. But by another definition of "Best", you cannot simply overwrite or ignore over 3 solid years of absolute dominance in this game from Ken, when talking about who's the best player Melee's ever seen.

And yeah, as Drephen put it, if you really want to use the whole "who's the best as of Right Now"...well, Mango won the last huge melee tourney & ****in' ***** everybody good in this game (save KDJ who's amazing).

King Out

Cort

Apple Head
I'm pretty sure M2K has set the Marth metagame in stone much moreso than Ken ever has, despite being a more modern one. You can't use the fact that Ken just doesn't give a damn anymore FOR him simply because there have been much more players that have surpassed him. Oh wait, there are lots of players better than me, time to retire as champ...

I am absolutely positive that if Ken continued to play in the tournament scene Mew2King would consistently beat him simply due to his absolute dominance in the Marth ditto matchup, which he basically invented and perfected by himself.

Also, Mango [rests a lot and] doesn't consistently win tournaments, and if you just take the 'last' tournaments results into account then I'm not sure how stupidly biased (or anti-M2K) you have to be to think he's the best.

Scar

#HarveyDent
k So I dunno anything about boxing but if Ali were the reigning champ and Holyfield had just gotten into the scene and then Ali decided he didn't feel like boxing anymore and Holyfield continued to innovate and got even better than Ali ever was and then actually beat Ali in a boxing match about a year later while they were both alive and well but Ali has rusty johns and then there was a boxing tournament where the ruleset was different and it was only one round and Holyfield got taken out by Mango and Ali went on to win the tournament but then later at SCC Holyfield ruined everyone including Ali and Mango and Holyfield consistently beat Mango in every boxing match aside from when it was the grand championship match because he chokes vs. southpaw (Jigglypuff) fighters...

then I would say yes, Holyfield is better than Ali. And Mango, for that matter. Mango is much better under pressure and therefore wins, and should win in that situation, but by and large in a non finals match Holyfield would and will consistently beat him up.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Lmao. Building support for mew2king as the better player simply because he's the best performing melee marth now, is like trying to build a case that Holyfield is a better fighter than Ali, simply because Holyfield has been performing well in more fights recently than Ali.
Difference is M2K has actually played Ken severak times and went from being ***** by him to ****** him.

...See what I'm getting at here? Ken has been willingly absent from the melee tournament scene since pretty much the end of the '06 MLG season, with just a few sporatic appearances at OC3, Evo World and Super Champ Combo. And I'd spoken with him before all those tourneys; the only one he even came close to giving a **** about playing well at/practicing for was EVO. The guy just hasn't cared in forever, nor has he seriously competed or traveled since then compared to any of the other top melee players since. To build a case simply because M2K's been performing better then Ken...when Ken's been totally absent from melee tourneys...is a little blind-sided. So by one definition of "Best", then Mew2king is obviously better, because Ken is non-existant anymore in the tourney scene. But by another definition of "Best", you cannot simply overwrite or ignore over 3 solid years of absolute dominance in this game from Ken, when talking about who's the best player Melee's ever seen.
First of all, NO ****ING JOHNS, especially no johns on Ken's behalf! Not caring about going to/competing in tourneys is a massive john.

Secondly, I don't see why the fact that Ken hasn't traveled since '06 should not matter in the discussion. It seems like the rest of the top players in the community were just pretty much caught up with Ken when he decided to semi-retire. Now I'm not claiming this is a grand conspiracy... but to claim that Ken's 3 year dominance (which ended 2 years ago) still should apply to today is silly. No one's trying to take away from what Ken did. He's a community legend for his achievements, and always will be. People are talking about who is better, skill-wise, RIGHT NOW. Wednesday, April 9th, 2:25 pm

edit: scar is amazing lmao

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure M2K has set the Marth metagame in stone much moreso than Ken ever has, despite being a more modern one. You can't use the fact that Ken just doesn't give a damn anymore FOR him simply because there have been much more players that have surpassed him. Oh wait, there are lots of players better than me, time to retire as champ...

I am absolutely positive that if Ken continued to play in the tournament scene Mew2King would consistently beat him simply due to his absolute dominance in the Marth ditto matchup, which he basically invented and perfected by himself.

Also, Mango [rests a lot and] doesn't consistently win tournaments, and if you just take the 'last' tournaments results into account then I'm not sure how stupidly biased (or anti-M2K) you have to be to think he's the best.
This this guy being serious? Did we somehow forget about drop back air, down tilt edge guard, CHAIN GRABBING, KEN COMBO, and reverse dolphin slash (although it's not really a metagame, he's one of the few people to reliably include this move in his arsenal)? I mean what else is there to playing Marth effectively (aside from spacing, duh)?

I really like how M2K shows that he can be a big man by how he goes out of his way to debunk Ken myths. Seriously, if you've never met the guy (Ken) before, and you're (for some mind-boggling reason completely beyond my comprehensibility) still going to prejudge him, at the very least how can you rely on ******** gossip to fuel your opinion of him negatively, especially. I've heard plenty of Ken myths, but I doubt any of them hold water. If I want to learn more about Ken's personality, I'll go to Chudat, who probably has a great opinion of him. Going to anyone else is like me going to a Muslim to learn about Christianity. See what I'm getting at here? If you base your opinion on Ken, or M2K, off of someone who clearly has never met either, clearly doesn't want to meet either, and just wants to keep his narrow-minded and ignorant opinion invariable.. your opinion is already fundamentally flawed.

Two of my friends (one at CNU and one at VTech) were telling me about M2K. The CNU kid said that he exercised the maturity level of a five year old because he was blabbing on about some stupid story during a smash match, and paused the game to slam his fist on the T.V. when he saw that other people weren't listening. The VTech kid said that he brought his level 100 Mewtwo from Pokémon Red to show off to people at Smash Tournies and that he plays like a robot, somehow making him a ***? I let these opinions negatively influence me too, until I read up on M2K's personal blog and learned of how cool a dude he really is. I guess it's true what they say- jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius, and jealousy manifests itself in so many antagonistic fashions.

Anyway, because people seem to be bashing on Ken so hard here (especially Cort, go figure, someone who's stole more than half his game from the originator of the Marth metagame), I think he needs some defense. When you're the champion, competitors subconsciously start tweaking their gameplay to revolve around an anti-champion strategy of sorts. It's true for any martial art, and Smash definitely draws some parallels between fighting in both the martial art sense and videogame sense. It's not that people started catching up, it's that pretty much everyone around the world started watching videos of Ken and practically every post-Ken marth had a carbon copy Ken style, so it's almost as if everyone learned to play against Ken due to massive overexposure. Fame is a double edged sword. Why do you think Ken didn't want to reveal himself at all until Evo? :dizzy:

M2K and Ken both seem like really cool people. This thread is stupid in that it proves nothing, because it's all just speculation (if you can even call it that at this point), and speaking in terms of skill, nothing is factual except for the outcome of a match. M2K said he got the short end of the stick at Evo, so until they rematc, maybe we should all just lay our guns aside and act like the adults, or maybe just civilized human beings we should be acting like, rather than taking turns running trains over one another.

P.S.: Cort, using Little Wing for a Smash video still doesn't fly. The emotions that Little Wing are supposed to evoke aren't even remotely close to fighting tension.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I just have to ask, can we just say ken is really good and m2k is really good. Sure i prefer ken because he has a combo named after him (spiking wuz my favorite thing to do in melee, i even nicknamed it "dunking"). I also incorporate the reverse up+b in my strategy (found out about it on my own tho). I just haven't seen much of m2k and marth so i can't make a call, but i know he's probably better than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom