• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K stuff about Marth (big update first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario-man

Smash Lord
It APPEARS to happen when people dash dance. Idk, maybe if you do it too fast, instead of like Melee where it just doesn't work right, maybe you trip then. So just don't move too fast there peoplez lolz

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Is it me or are we forgetting something? Hmm...it starts with an M I think. Umm...wavy blue hair...fights with that long thing...a sword? OH that's right....MARTH!!! We kinda like forgot what this thread was about. :p

But seriously guys, chill out. At the end of the day, BOTH melee and brawl can be considered fun. I dunno bout you, but I'm not bout to stop playing melee competitively anytime soon, TECH SKILLZ for life! The way I see, melee is the "older brother" of the game series, more mature, more in depth, and in general more serious. Were as of now, brawl can be considered the "little brother" of the series. In a nutshell, I think melee is "wicked fun." Were as brawl is just "regular fun." Example?

Learning to fly a kite = "regular fun" i.e. Brawl

Learning to fly a complex motor helicopter = "wicked fun" i.e. Melee.

mario-man

Smash Lord
flying a kite is fun?? that's news to me.

yeah, other than that, I agree with you.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
flying a kite is fun?? that's news to me.
rofl!

Yeah, cause here in Bermuda we make our own kites known as "hummer kites" and they are pretty cool. You can google them if ya want. lol :p

But yeah, I'm going to have fun playing both games. Its funny how so many ppl seem to act like they are going to get arrested for playing both. I do understand the frustration of other smashers since they were expecting something really epic. But hey, least melee is still there, can't call it boring. lol

mario-man

Smash Lord
rofl!

Yeah, cause here in Bermuda we make our own kites known as "hummer kites" and they are pretty cool. You can google them if ya want. lol :p

But yeah, I'm going to have fun playing both games. Its funny how so many ppl seem to act like they are going to get arrested for playing both. I do understand the frustration of other smashers since they were expecting something really epic. But hey, least melee is still there, can't call it boring. lol
Actually, Gimpyfish has done it a few times. He says that he gets bored with Melee. LOL I personally don't understand that as long as you have human players to face.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
2 things

no one has to agree with me, I'm explaining the reasoning behind my current opinions instead of of just blindly saying them. I'm HOPING to be proven wrong, and want to.

I can't believe there's so many pages on this. Few people are actually concentrating on why I made the topic, to help people get a head start on some basic marth differences, and then someone asked me what I think about the game and I answered honestly. You can continue this as long as you want, no one is forcing you to agree with my current opinion, and more than anything I hope my mind is changed, but that doesn't mean you all have to act as if my opinion means you have to agree with it too because I don't recall mentioning how I have any special authority cuz I don't. I doubt I'd have so many responses if I was a random person just saying my opinion, and right now I kind of wish I was because I don't like this kind of attention. You think I want to think this? I hope I'm wrong, I only even stated my opinion in the first place cuz I was asked by a lot of people, and same reason I made my review on gamefaqs cuz people asked me.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I have some really conflicting thought about Brawl.

On one hand, it is less speed oriented and is more for the more smarter player, one another heand, you can barely combo, and the removal of most lag makes the game really less skill oriented, which may or may not be a good thing.

Mew2King, thanks for atleast being honest with your opinions, and not shouting them like some spamming nub.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Tripping does seem to be random, as sometimes when I start off matches I just dash towards them and trip instantly. It also happens occasionally when doing DeDeDes down throw Chain Grab, and happens mid matches. Seems to be random to me so far, unless someone can prove otherwise.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Please point to where I'm being used, otherwise you're just full of utter failure. Like I've probably crapped out **** more productive then you.
I consider a tool anyone crapping out generic lines as a means of defense aswell. What were you saying about productivity? If you can't debate for ****, stop trying.

And no Mr.C, smashboards wasn't brought up as an elitists-exclusive community. It's that mindset that brought upon all the uneeded flamefests. Why is it that everyone but M2K flames? If you're trying to represent anything, do it well.

M2K says Brawl will be played slower and lack the technical depth of Melee. No one is challenging M2K's Smash context and Smash knowledge . You disregard his opinion by stating "It's not melee 2.0... give Brawl more time...everyone starts from zero at this game."

If you do not agree with M2K, refute him with the technical facts and reason-based logic , the same method M2K used to form his opinion on Brawl.
This is what got me started:
No, honestly, I hate brawl and I think the game is extremely terrible so far.
and the fact that there are so many tools that can't think for themselves thus inevitably leading into a complete degeneration of the community. I wish people would make their own opinions based on actual gameplay rather than rejecting the game before even having hands-on experience, coz-m2k-say -so-k? The game might end up being less "competitive" (please define competitiveness) but that doesn't mean that everyone should go and spread their unfounded hate towards the game for no reason. If, as Mr.C said, all the knowledge from SSBM caries over to SSBB, and if indeed, the elite from SSBM will remain elites in SSBB, then what is everyone so afraid about? The competitive scene will only die if you force it to die, which is what you guys seem to want. As long as there are stronger people out there, others will always have somewhat of a drive to get better at the game, no matter how low the end-game ceiling is.

edit:
I can't believe there's so many pages on this. Few people are actually concentrating on why I made the topic, to help people get a head start on some basic marth differences, and then someone asked me what I think about the game and I answered honestly. You can continue this as long as you want, no one is forcing you to agree with my current opinion, and more than anything I hope my mind is changed, but that doesn't mean you all have to act as if my opinion means you have to agree with it too because I don't recall mentioning how I have any special authority cuz I don't. I doubt I'd have so many responses if I was a random person just saying my opinion, and right now I kind of wish I was because I don't like this kind of attention. You think I want to think this? I hope I'm wrong, I only even stated my opinion in the first place cuz I was asked by a lot of people, and same reason I made my review on gamefaqs cuz people asked me.
THANK YOU.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
That's quite clear really: Sakurai said in those "Iwata interviews" that Brawl would be aimed towards everyone, including a large public of less competitive players. That's the sole reason he included random tripping: to make Brawl more "family oriented" or such. Either that or cuz tripping is funny.

Edit: I would define "competitiveness" as "the quality of an activity that, opposing two or more people, is based on skill rather than luck/random events".

C'mon, why did we ban items in Melee? That's right, because they add an element of "randomness" to the game and hamper competitiveness. And guess what? Tripping is random unless proven otherwise. Therefore, Brawl would seem to be less competitive than Melee.

Aesir

Smash Master
I consider a tool anyone crapping out generic lines as a means of defense aswell. What were you saying about productivity? If you can't debate for ****, stop trying.
Seems like your definition is a leep of faith, like if you don't agree with the opinion you call them a tool. Rather ******** but whatever LOL.

I've been slowly disliking brawl the more I played it.

So sorry to disappoint you m2ks opinion didn't effect mine, nore did anyone elses.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
That's quite clear really: Sakurai said in those "Iwata interviews" that Brawl would be aimed towards everyone, including a large public of less competitive players. That's the sole reason he included random tripping: to make Brawl more "family oriented" or such. Either that or cuz tripping is funny.

...Is it just me, or is the amount of skill required for a Nintendo game constantly decreasing every day? Go ahead, compare the first 3 Metroids to the new ones. Compare Super Mario Bros. to the new ones.

Every time they make a sequel, they state they want to draw more fans by maing it "easier". I dont think the developement teams are out to make games for gamers any more, they're making them for noobs who will come and love the gsme while the rest of the community is left out. I am really ****ing worried that the characters have not been developed wih an effective meta game, and that the game is truly just a fighter with really simple controls, geared towards noobs.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
tripping being random is so gay... i hopes there is somthing we are missing that causes the trip... i just cant beleve its random!
It only happens when you jerk the control stick forward, and it can't happen in the middle of a run or walk. ONly when you start a dash it has a 1% chance of happening apparently.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ok, so I just played Brawl and the combo M2K posted seems to be pretty solid.

Heh, I think I only got one tipper while playing Marth lol

BentoBox

Smash Master
Seems like your definition is a leep of faith, like if you don't agree with the opinion you call them a tool. Rather ******** but whatever LOL.

I've been slowly disliking brawl the more I played it.

So sorry to disappoint you m2ks opinion didn't effect mine, nore did anyone elses.
? When did everything suddenly become about you? And you are clearly blind if you believe that only people who have actually played the game have built up opinions about it.

your too good :urg: i wish i could be like you

m2k for president
even m2k realised his position:

and more than anything I hope my mind is changed, but that doesn't mean you all have to act as if my opinion means you have to agree with it too because I don't recall mentioning how I have any special authority cuz I don't. I doubt I'd have so many responses if I was a random person just saying my opinion, and right now I kind of wish I was because I don't like this kind of attention.
About the tripping:

Originally Posted by Hitaku
So, new news for all of you regarding the invincibility frames on the trip. Now before I go into detail, I apologize for how vague this is going to be...but I'm really not sure how I can get better results on something so dang random.

The trip does indeed provide the character with some invincibility frames. I can't tell you the number because sadly I don't know how to get that kind of information. If I had to guess, I would say that it lasts the entire fall, right until you land on your butt. What this means as far as I can tell is that assuming you could react fast enough and you rolled out of it right away, you could stop yourself from being punished for the most part.

This test was done on Final Destination using Fox and Ike. I had fox stand in the corner and spam lasers at Ike, while Ike run around the stage dash dancing. When he tripped he temporarily stopped taking laser damage.
This and what ryan said.

Trying playing a game without any sudden/brusque movements and see if there's any tripping occurring =o.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
ya tippers are mad hard to get now in melee you could get tippers consistently by knowing the spacing and know it's like they sometimes happen when you don't expect and vice versa. Maybe need more time, but the tipper hitbox is way smaller than before for F smash at least.

Aesir

Smash Master
It's not about me, I didn't say it was. However you seem to think if m2k disagrees with something I'll instantly disagree with it. This is wrong, and felt I needed to let you know how wrong you were.

But you're like arguing with a child, "I know you are but what am I?"

This and what ryan said.

Trying playing a game without any sudden/brusque movements and see if there's any tripping occurring =o.
In brawl I usually walk and only dash/run if someone advances on me. (similar to how I use to play in melee)

I don't think I tripped once, If what Ryan said is true it shouldn't really be that much of an issue time will tell though.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
EDIT:Trip to SmashWiki answered my question.

O_o.........

And M2K, I think you might be trying to play it like Melee a bit too much. I dunno, figure out it's true play style, then maybe more options will be found.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I don't think I tripped once, If what Ryan said is true it shouldn't really be that much of an issue time will tell though.
It's not too horrible really I mean it can screw you up occassionally but as long as you aren't too jerky with the control stick it won't affect you that much. You can get punished for it sure but it shouldn't screw too much with you imo unless you keep foxtrotting. Again though you are right time will tell and I hope you can tech it, but yeah it won't **** with you too much if you are prepared to trip lol.

Also I got my info from Hitaku anyway

mario-man

Smash Lord
Two things, most competetive players are constantly jamming the control stick, so I would think it would become a big problem, maybe not though.
Also, if it DOES turn out to be a problem and it occurs frequently which inhibits you from smashing the control stick all over, then it WILL die competetively. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I'm definitely NOT going to sell Melee. I think I'll keep it......like anyone will sell it. lol

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Two things, most competetive players are constantly jamming the control stick, so I would think it would become a big problem, maybe not though.
Also, if it DOES turn out to be a problem and it occurs frequently which inhibits you from smashing the control stick all over, then it WILL die competetively. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I'm definitely NOT going to sell Melee. I think I'll keep it......like anyone will sell it. lol
Or you can like, you know adapt and not constantly foxtrot.

It only kills you at the start of a dash and when you try an fsmash w/o cstick I heard too. If you walk or run alot more than you dash than it isn't much of a problem.

No I don't see it as a positive thing but stop overreacting it's not that bad.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Read your posts before posting please.

BentoBox

Smash Master
"The game will die competitively because players will not be able to jam their controller sticks"

Were you seriously hoping to get away with that? Lol'd.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Do evaluate said point.

@Aesir, that is a prime example of what I would call a tool. To come up with such ridiculous **** only to support someone else's opinion is just sad. You may beg to differ. He'll end up disliking brawl without really knowing why. And another. Where did this movement originate?

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
There's a lotta truth to that post actually but the tourney scene not developing to be as competitive as Melee is only partly influenced by that. People who like Brawl will still travel if they are capable. But I do hafta agree w M2K and some others about why this game doesn't shape up to being a competitive GAME, which is entirely seperate from just the smashes. Good players will still be good at Brawl and n00bs will be n00bs. They just won't be nearly as far behind due to the lack of tech skill and depth.

Aesir

Smash Master
Do evaluate said point.

@Aesir, that is a prime example of what I would call a tool. To come up with such ridiculous **** only to support someone else's opinion is just sad. You may beg to differ. He'll end up disliking brawl without really knowing why. And another. Where did this movement originate?
I think brawl is fun, I just think it would have been better if Hal made it. I realize it's to early to give my opinion on the matter, but I'm a cynic so my view on brawl is very negative.

It's just an opinion I'm sure many people would agree with me on. Hopefully some depth to the game can be found, the inclusion of shield canceling and most of the tricks of the trade being found now has me interested enough to not pass it off as a casual game.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
you can powershield in brawl, at least super close range fox lasers, but it doesn't seem like you can do them from far away, i dunno it's weird

i reflected fox laser at close range without even timing it right i did it early and it still worked, but trying to do it far away doesn't really work, at least not on fox lasers

Also note, Fox's laser is still stronger close range than far range, just like SSBM

in SSBM Fox laser does 3.00 damage in the first half of it's range, and 2.00 damage in the 2nd half of its range

weakened spammed fox lasers from afar can do less than 1 damage at a time if spammed, and now you can full jump 4 lasers.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Woohoo! Didn't even know this.

Mew2King is a walking databank. :p

Edit: on a side note, I'd like to say that I feel that a couple of series have been "dumbed down" to appeal to larger audiences in the past few years. You just have to think about Thief: Deadly Shadows to realise it. Boy was the Thief series downgraded.

BOW UPGRADE!

...sorry wrong forum.

Mr.C

Smash Master
And no Mr.C, smashboards wasn't brought up as an elitists-exclusive community. It's that mindset that brought upon all the uneeded flamefests. Why is it that everyone but M2K flames? If you're trying to represent anything, do it well.
I'm not meaning to sound "elitist" but the fact of the matter is SWF was created for the competitive smash community. For people to get on here and learn about advanced techniques, smash lingo and have a heads up on when tournaments will happen/where they will happen and of course for meeting other competitive players. I'm not opposed to people coming on the boards, I encourage anyone and everyone who is wanting to learn how to play this game and help evolve the meta-game to join the boards. But I do not approve of 30,000 random noobs joining the boards from gamefaqs etc posting about things they think they know about or trying to think their opinions about competitive Melee/Brawl is on an equal level to someone that has been apart of the high-level competitive scene for over four years. Whats the point for "casual" gamers to come on the boards when they have no intention of learning how to play the game in the first place? to post random *** ****? thats what gfaqs is for.

EDIT: Sorry have to bring this up. Brawl will be VERY competitive. Not a lot of people are doubting this. But high-level Melee players are saying the Brawl meta-game/game itself will not be in-depth as Melee, which is 100% true. Brawl is extremely fun, EXTREMELY FUN and I look forward to playing the game very much even though it won't be as deep as Melee.

@ M2K. you should practice pivot aerials. While playing Brawl I realized pivot aerials were a very important part of the game since I'm sure you notice Brawl is very slippery, if you aerial past someones shield it is very hard to turn around and start up another Fair etc so pivoting is nice.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Holy crap Mario Man...

And in defense of Brawl. We haven't even been able to play it for a month, and we're talking as if that all we know right now is all we will ever know.

BentoBox

Smash Master
About the actual origins of SWF:

You go around everywhere on this site posting this, but sadly it isn't true. This site was made by Gideon, a guy who is pretty darn casual in his smashing from what I can tell, and he created this site just cause there wasn't a good smash site at the time. He didn't have any intention on it being composed of the competitive smash community and that it would become the source of info for competitive play, but it ended up becoming that over time.

There is nothing wrong with casual smashers being on this site and discussing things; however they shouldn't get on their soap box and tell others how to play. I've been on this site for a long long time and there weren't ANY problems with casuals or competitive players until the new influx of members because of Brawl. Yeah, there are people who are legit "tourney***s" but they are the vast minority of competitive players. For the most part we don't tell you guys how to play, so we would appreciate getting the same kind of treatment from you guys.

I really don't think I'm asking for much here... There is no reason for us to be fighting.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Mew2King just sounds like the past his prime old man who can't accept change. It's sad really.
He did so much for Melee too...

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Mew2King just sounds like the past his prime old man who can't accept change. It's sad really.
He did so much for Melee too...
How many people wanna argue this? lol M2K not being good in Brawl has about as much chance as Nintendo putting tech skill back into it. It's not that he's not accepting the change so much as stating why the changing is bad for the game and its competitiveness.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I think it might be character specific. I can occasionally get the fairs into dair rather easy on a local Lucas, and I think it has to do with the player. They're probably just trying to get Marth the **** off them so they can PK thunder back on the stage. It's kind of scary with Marth chasing you off the ledge, yelling in your face, and swinging his blade at you.
That uair combo on Snake would've been avoided all together with a simple air dodge. You notice he does it at the end.

Combos can be done, but, they're not guaranteed. I think that's what he was trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom