• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC! 08/21/2010 Winthrop Harbor, IL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Currently I'm trying to figure out which date to have this tourney. June 12th is a lil too soon IMHO. But for now, everyone plan to be there June 12th.
Everyone has already been planning on June 12th. I have that weekend off work and I want a tournament!

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Hi everyone...

Just getting back from Ohio. I feel kinda aweful. But I'll get the next tournament thread up soon.

I need to rest. Just checkin in though, hoping you are all doing okay.

See you soon.

Currently I'm trying to figure out which date to have this tourney. June 12th is a lil too soon IMHO. But for now, everyone plan to be there June 12th.
How was Power Up though? I would feel sick too after being in Ohio for a weekend.:laugh:

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Power Up was pretty good. Smash didn't do as well as I hoped, but I should have known better since the thread didn't get nearly as much hype as it deserved. :(

FIRST POST EDITED!!!!

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET ****ING HYPE GOT **** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSU!!!

Yo I feel much better everyone. :D

Tourney and Kirk's smash fest is ALL NEXT WEEK!!! GET READY!!!!

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
good **** spikes

webster, i think its really great how often you host tournaments, but it would be pretty cool if you stopped putting them on the same date as other tournaments that had already been announced

in may i drove all the way up to michigan, and when i got there only 16 people entered the tournament and velynn said that a handful of people went to yours instead, and now in june youre putting it on the same date as the showdown which had no reason not to be big except for people not traveling, and this gives them even more incentive not to do so

i know that the relative frequency of brawl tournaments makes it difficult to schedule around them, and if theres really nothing you can do sometimes i understand. but just because people are too lazy to ever travel doesnt mean you have to give them an option close to their house while other people working hard to host tournaments just lose attendees because chicagoans are spoiled

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I havent even heard of showdown until just now. In our area we have a tournament every weekend this month, so webster had to either make his tournament be the 12th (which i am glad) or not host any tournament this month.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Also BigD, Webster had a tenative schedule for a tournament date for every month since late last year if I remember correctly. That's when the official MAS circuit started, and the finals in October have been posted since then.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Under the contract I am under I have to host a tourney once a month. And yes BigD, unfortunately this was the only weekend that was free for most of the people in the area.

I hope this doesn't take away from the Majority you definitely planned on going to Showdown.

I will do as best of a job I can to try not to schedule and clash against other favorable tournaments. But as you said, sometimes it can't be helped.

:(

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
sveet thats cause you dont ever even intend on traveling

theres been a thread in tournament listings for like 6 months, i made a thread in mw social room linking to that thread telling people to go, and bigr made a thread in the regular mw forum telling people to go

it has everything necessary for a national tournament, except the mw melee players were too lazy and didnt pay attention or want to drive more than 5 hours to a tournament. it got attention from ec players and florida players, but they rightfully have stopped since then because mw doesnt deserve a national level tournament i guess

webster i totally understand, its just frustrating to see it happen two months in a row and chicago is becoming the only place in the mw that can have regular successful melee tournaments while the rest of the mw gets worse and worse

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhh...nunya went to MN like i did =)....with that being said, i jus dont have the car to go to OH :/....ill be here tho!

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
sveet, take a closer look at your evidence that you "travel all the time"

you went to the last 3 smym's, a tournament 3 hours from you, and youre planning on going to 2 more tournaments outside of chicago

unless you were kidding, 3 instate tournaments and future plans for 2 out of state ones does not mean you travel all the time

not that i care about any of that, my point is that you would never consider going to a tournament in ohio, and therefore its not surprising that you wouldnt notice ohio tournaments, unless maybe it was the size of apex. correct me if im wrong

anyway i dont wanna derail this thread any further, i apologize for my whining but i just wanted you guys to see where im coming from

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
just so bigd feels better, WI has 2 full melee cars going to showdown. :)

edit: just made some phone calls, we might have 3 full melee cars LOL thats 4 WI cars including the brawl one thats already there for mlg. wisconsin owns.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
sveet, take a closer look at your evidence that you "travel all the time"

you went to the last 3 smym's, a tournament 3 hours from you, and youre planning on going to 2 more tournaments outside of chicago

unless you were kidding, 3 instate tournaments and future plans for 2 out of state ones does not mean you travel all the time

not that i care about any of that, my point is that you would never consider going to a tournament in ohio, and therefore its not surprising that you wouldnt notice ohio tournaments, unless maybe it was the size of apex. correct me if im wrong

anyway i dont wanna derail this thread any further, i apologize for my whining but i just wanted you guys to see where im coming from
whether i planned on going or not is irrelevant. its not like i dont hear about many more things than i can possibly go to. i talk with smashers around here literally all the time and nobody once mentioned this tournament. As far as im concerned showdown just failed to get enough hype. Should have had webster TO then there wouldn't be that problem :laugh:

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
the point im making is that chicago is basically responsible for whether or not a tournament in the mw "gets enough hype"

its the community with the most and best smashers in the midwest. we could have had a national level tournament, but chicago doesnt bother to travel so nobody else thought it would be worth it either

its not the TO's fault, webster hosted a tournament in ohio last week and nobody knew about that one either

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
me and lil tommy might go to this one
I want MMs with both of you if you come

BigD, its up to the TO to get hype for a tournament. You can't just post a thread and hope people read it. Look at all the crazy ways people have hyped up major tournaments; VBM and Pound4, Waffles' vids for genesis, PEEF's puff rap for POE. Stuff like that and anything you can get away with posting in melee discussion adds a lot of hype for those tournaments.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
the TO's are primarily brawl players, and they got plenty of brawl players excited for it. they also have a $1000 guaranteed pot for melee singles. they probably just saw not a lot of melee players coming, figured the melee community is lazy and too small, and didnt concern themselves with it

their tournament wont be a failure, but we could have had a national level melee tournament and now we arent is the only point im making. if you think those little videos were what hyped those tournaments up, youre crazy, the hype that gets people to tournaments is based on who will be at the tournament and really nothing else.

now i understand why tink used to pretend he was going to go to practically every tournament that popped up on smashboards

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its definitely both. Pros won't travel if there isn't going to be a good payout/turnout, but lower level players dont want to travel if its not a tournament with pros. Neither will travel if they don't even hear about the tournament. Imo what PEEF is doing is really good, personally talking to some pros to get their names on the ticket then publicizing the tournament in other ways to get the word around.

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
Hey outta curiosity what is considered "Mid-tier" at this tourney is it up to tier B and breaks off or is it C?

I am curios.. as always I WANT to be here, but the ride is the problem!

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: I fail, i researched. C tier and down :p!

OH WELL THIS POST IS NOW HYPE POST :p

Top Bottom