• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Sigurd is known outside of Japan. There are diehard Nintendo/Fire Emblem fans out there who have proabily studied the series first since it first came out and proabily imported all the games as well. Therefore Sigurd is known outside of Japan and there are people who would want him over Lyn. Also, there are places in the world that have more then likly never heard of either character so you can't claim that would perfer Lyn.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
ok then there are very few people outside of japan that have heard of Sigurd and want him over Lyn, It was over dramatised a bit because countries like russia don't get games, but none the less South america, North America, South Africa, Australia, Europe and New Zealand would prefer Lyn over Sigurd due to the fact that they know about Lyn and not Sigurd.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Xianfeng, heres something you may learn

when a game is released in japan, it is also released in neighboring countries like China, indonesia, and other countires. It wasnt released in the west yes, but in the east, it was.

What did you say at gamefaqs that got moderated anyways?

Aiser

Smash Lord
^ Anything, you can say basically anything and it can getmoderated, mods on that board are so ****ing gay.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I didn't swear I just said that Gamefaqs is uncreditable and it has a history of being full of n00bs.

Sigurd's chances are decent, I feel that Lyn and Hector's are strong as well because there is no way that the first world wide FE won't get any reputation and no one likes Eliwood.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Again, props Xianfang, for the pic and you're most recent post. ^

China and Indonesia? Are you serious? Japan would look at America and Australia before them, lol.
Soo...........Gamefaqs sux huh? Well, that's why I only use it for the Walkthroughs.....which are awesome by the way. I'm actually heading there now for some tips to an RPG. ^^

But yes, Lyn probably has the best chances, ignoring Sigurd. Those two are close and it's really Sakurai's choice who should get in, being so close. Oh well, just have to wait:
LYN IS IN BRAWL!!!1!!11 ROFL-COPTER!

pwned142

Smash Cadet
If lyn is going to be in ssbb she should be at least luigified because otherwise she'd be the EXACT same as Marth (they both use rapier)

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
China and Indonesia? Are you serious?

Yes im serious, japanese games use kanji, and these countries use kanji also.
Games are usually leaked to those countries before even the japanese release

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
For the last time, Lyn's sword style is NOT fencing-esque with a rapier. In fact, it is quite the opposite, but since both are very quick I suppose it could be confusing. Lyn uses a katana-like sword, now that right there differenciates her style completely from the rapier. Also, her attacks come from the sheath, in Rurouni Kenshin it's Hiten Mitsurugi style, which is probably not the correct name, but close enough if you've seen the show.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Sigurd uses a sword he would be the EXACT same as Marth.

Sigurd also uses lances

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
This arguement is retarted.

Do you think most people "knew" who Marth and Roy were before SSBM? Not that many people did. It'd be the same thing if they put Sigurd in. And being that FE4 is generally hailed as one of the best SRPG's ever made, I'd say he has a huge chance of making it in.

xianfeng

Smash Hero

Do you think most people "knew" who Marth and Roy were before SSBM? Not that many people did. It'd be the same thing if they put Sigurd in. And being that FE4 is generally hailed as one of the best SRPG's ever made, I'd say he has a huge chance of making it in.
So that's like putting in Wart and giving him a mushroom symbol, in Japan Wart has never been in a mario game just Doki Doki Panik.

manashima said:
Sigurd uses a sword he would be the EXACT same as Marth.

Sigurd also uses lances
I was using that to point out the stupidity of his "Lyn would be a clone" argument

Inui

Banned via Warnings

Thank God!

I'm not the only one that knows anything about Fire Emblem around here.

Sigurd a clone of Marth? When Marth is using the tiny Falchion and Sigurd has the massive Tyrfing? No.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
xianfeng said:
So that's like putting in Wart and giving him a mushroom symbol, in Japan Wart has never been in a mario game just Doki Doki Panik.
Like Wart even has a showing. The difference is that Wart hasn't been in a US Nintendo game, and they've never made any sequels to Doki Doki Panic.

Inui said:
Sigurd a clone of Marth? When Marth is using the tiny Falchion and Sigurd has the massive Tyrfing? No.
:)

Feral Evanescence

Smash Rookie
Eh, as long as her moveset is unique (enough), I'd say she'll be a decent addition to SSB :laugh:

But other than that, I want her in simply because I'm a fan of Fire Emblem. So yea...

GenG

Smash Lord
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Wart the final boss of Super Mario Bros 2 a US Nintendo game.
I'll correct you: Wart is from a japanese NES platformer called Dokidoki Panic. Nintendo wanted to release the true Mario Bros 2 (The Lost Levels) the US but they thought it would be very difficult for them. So they changed the main characters of Dokidoki Panic and named Super Mario Bros 2, even when it wasn't the true Mario 2. The game was later released in Japan as Super Mario Bros 2 USA.

That's the story. Characters like Birdo or Shyguy were originally from a non-Mario game.

GenG

Smash Lord
He is wrong then. And Wart made a cameo in Link's Awakening (and DX) too. And Super Mario Allstars. And Mario Advance 2...

5 games. He deserves a trophy at least.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
*cough*Super Mario USA*cough*

At any rate let's try to stay on topic, mmk?

EDIT: Hmmm... Seems that GenG beat me to the punch, but I do need to point out that the game is just
Super Mario Bros. USA - there's no "2" in the title...

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
Lyn really isn't significant enough, this is the only problem I can even find with her. She really has nothing going for her other than being the first Lord we see in English, but even that can be taken away by Marth and Roy. Alot of people over at NSider still acknowledge her as the first female Lord when in reality that title belongs to Cecilia of Fire Emblem Gaiden(FE2).

In my opinion the next Lord to get in would definately be Sigurd. Marth, Sigurd, and Roy are the three most influential Lords to the Fire Emblem series, although we may be getting a new addition soon.

Lyn isn't even mentioned in Fuuin no Tsurugi and it is contested that she was put in as filler for Rekka no Ken. Basically Lyn is in the same boat as Ike. A Lord that didn't do much for the series but is popular.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Roy is not influential in his game he is very boring and shows no personality what so ever, his dad Eliwood shows more personality than him, FE2 is widley regarded as the WORST Fire Emblem ever.

How is Lyn unsignificant she is the first popular female lord in the female series (she is not hated by the japanese but they like 4 other people in Fire Emblem better, some how one was Eliwood), she is the first world wide lord, she introduced the world to Fire Emblem.

Have fun saying Roy > Lyn because we all know Roy is being removed not only was he a clone in SSBM but he was useless in his own game just like his dad. Roy is not popular in Japan and not popular as a character in the rest of the world. Lyn has a better chance than Roy does for this game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
You obviously haven't played the game to be making such statements about Roy... He atually has quite a bit of personality - at least no less than any other main character from the FE series. And we all know you hate Eliwood, why continue? And FE2 is the "worst" in the series accordig to who? And it was Marth & Roy that introduced FE to the world via their appearence in SSBM. Also, quite a few of us played FE games before FE7 was released (particularly FE4) - its something we call ROMs. Roy may not be the MOST popular in Japan, but he's WAY ahead of Lyn in that regard (his game sold 100,000 more units than Lyn's). As of right now, we can only SPECULATE as to who's getting the axe - for all we know they're only removing 1 or 2 characters. And how can someone that is POSSIBLY being considered have a better chance than someone that's ALREADY been in a Smash Bros. game? Let's see, is that everything? Oh yeah - STOP STATING YOUR OPINION AS FACT!

Now that's out of the way, Lyn (AND Roy) FTW!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I have played FE6 on a rom, I never buy GBA games. Roy has no personality what so ever, Eliwuss shows more personality than him. FE2 is the worst in the series according to Gamefaqs. Based off FE6 there is next to nothing they could do to Roy to prevent him from being a clone.

Lyn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roy

xianfeng

Smash Hero
no I don't but they have a lot of FE fanboys there, I have played FE2 as well and it really did suck

EDIT: There was nothing to be fixed I liked Roy in SSBM but that's because in SSBM personality plays no factor, in Fire Emblem he was boring and generic. Lyn was cool and still is.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Having ACTUALLY played FE2, I can say that it indeed does NOT suck. By chance how far did you get? Like any Strategy or RPG (or hybrid, which FE is...) game, things get ALOT more interesting the further you get through the game - particularly those involving Celica... At any rate I tire of FE n00bs (i.e. the Gamefaqs crowd) that think they know EVERYTHING about the god **** series... though I would actually prefer more FE3 and FE4 representation myself, as those were the first FE games I played.

GenG

Smash Lord
FE2 is a great game, not to the extent of the first game, and the freedom doesn't make up for it. The level design was pretty weak, sometimes you had a prairie with a single tree as a whole stage. But the plot and job system (you can choose the job that suits your people the most) were nice. The soundtrack was awesome and the good stuff comes with Celica.

FE3, 4 and 5 are still considered as 3 of the best SRPG ever made, along with Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and the Shining Force series.

I fail to see why the original magic system sucks. I didn't care about it, I just played with the possibilities the game offered to me.

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
As to FE2: I've heard many bad opinions about the game at different places across the internet. I played it somewhat myself, but somewhere along the way I got too frustrated at the fact, that I would have needed to spend more time going to caves and leveling up... it was just too tedious for me (and it's different than arenas... you didn't need to do those to get better (though, they almost were necessary in FE4... but that's another story). But even though I didn't like the gameplay mechanics that much, Alm and Celice are still among my more favorite FE characters.

The Roy - Lyn discussion. I admit that I am almost a "Roy Hater" :embarrass , not only for the fact that I didn't like him in SSBM, because he felt inferior on all levels to Marth, or the fact he's Eliwood's son (but I'll say Roy was far better than Eliwood, he gets that much credit from me)... Eliwood was just... it aggrevates me I can't even totally remember why I disliked him so :p , but also for the fact that though some people have another view, I didn't find FE6 that interesting a game... there were hardly any characters I really felt connencted to (I mean, I pretty much liked Fe (or was it Fa :( ) and Zephiel the most... Zelphiel even being an enemy, but Zephiel was cool :chuckle: ). Lyn was the first Lord I ever played in an FE game, and since I can say that that goes for many other FE fans (at least European and American ones), I think that the bond to Lyn will be far greater than that to that of Roy. The Japanese... I can't tell their thoughts, so...

And a sidenote: from the few observations I've made with female gamers: they either seem to choose female characters or "cute" characters (small pokemon, Kirby or Yoshi) or Link (or Marth or Roy)... Link (Marth and Roy) I don't know why :confused: (maybe the sword?) ... but that doesn't matter :chuckle: (they at least seem to avoid fat middle aged hairy plumbers :p ). Therefore Lyn would be an addition to the group of characters female gamers would like to play (but that's only speculation of mine )

xianfeng

Smash Hero
The original magic system is inferior to the GBA's magic system in every way, Light and Dark magic really don't belong any where because the magic triangle is filled with 3 types of anima magic.

Top Bottom