• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Luigi's Social Mansion

ThatGeoDude

Smash Rookie
NNID
GeoDude
3DS FC
5241-2073-4660
I'm very happy that not much has changed in this version of Smash. I do want to know if his Dash attack is as good as everyone says it is though.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I know I may have a history of not exactly being on the same page as Luigi, but I do like him, I would say I'm one of the people who prefers Luigi over Mario and I simply loved his Waluigi costume in Brawl, if it was thanks to Luigi I kind of had Waluigi playable in Brawl, of course it was the same thing as playing as Daisy which is Peach's costume, still, it was good enough.

The thing I never liked about Luigi was the green missile, that's not even a Mario thing, he should have something betterthan that and hopefully there is a custom move to fix this.

Also his taunts are so generic, again I hate that green missile thing.

Hopefully there's some custom taunts to use, I want stuff like Luigi riding in on his go kart with the death stare, I'ma Luigi, Number One, and Oh yeah who's number one now, Luigi, I want this iconic stuff as well as victory poses that actually relate to the Mario series, instead of generic, its as bad as those CAWs in WWE games with their generic victory celebrations.

So yeah I hope there are a few custom things added to improve on Luigi because green missile sucks and I don't want it being a part of my Luigi when I use him.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know I may have a history of not exactly being on the same page as Luigi, but I do like him, I would say I'm one of the people who prefers Luigi over Mario and I simply loved his Waluigi costume in Brawl, if it was thanks to Luigi I kind of had Waluigi playable in Brawl, of course it was the same thing as playing as Daisy which is Peach's costume, still, it was good enough.

The thing I never liked about Luigi was the green missile, that's not even a Mario thing, he should have something betterthan that and hopefully there is a custom move to fix this.

Hopefully there's some custom taunts to use, I want stuff like Luigi riding in on his go kart with the death stare, I'ma Luigi, Number One, and Oh yeah who's number one now, Luigi, I want this iconic stuff as well as victory poses that actually relate to the Mario series, instead of generic, its as bad as those CAWs in WWE games with their generic victory celebrations.

So yeah I hope there are a few custom things added to improve on Luigi because green missile sucks and I don't want it being a part of my Luigi when I use him.

I dunno, Green Missile helps me with horizontal recovery.

[I do hate it otherwise though. Dunno what I'd replace it with.]

ThatGeoDude

Smash Rookie
NNID
GeoDude
3DS FC
5241-2073-4660
it's a decent enough recovery move, helps switch it up between that and cyclone, and misfires are hilarious.

If anything, I would like if they added some abilities from the Mario&Luigi rpg franchise, he has some pretty cool moves there.

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I hope he turns out to be better then I initially thought. His lack of decent recovery (excluding custom moves) really turned me off, but I'm probably just spoiled at how much distance you could get with cyclone in brawl.

Combo game seemed amazing.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
How many people can say with a straight face that they prefer Mario over Luigi? But seriously, I think Luigi is the more likable character. There's just a depth to his character that Mario doesn't have.
Honestly, the Green Missile is one of the aspects of Luigi that drew me to him in SSBM in the first place. It added to his...unpredictability. There was nothing more satisfying than pulling a Misfire and watching your target fly into oblivion. Not to mention the distance it covered back in the day. The look on the other guy's face when you pulled a Misfire and averted a lethal blow is just pure gold.
Eh, it's ok, I guess. I do like his up taunt, though. I think it adds to his quirkiness.
Pfft. You call that a death stare? The look Reggie gave Iwata when they staring each other down in the digital event was more of a death stare.
Green Missile is awesome. THAT IS ALL.

Donyoku

Greed
Well I don't know who was posting about custom moves for Luigi exactly because I'm to lazy to go back and look for it lol but, his custom moveset does not change the moves at all, it just changes the attributes. There is a thread of all his custom moves on here if they haven't look into it yet.

Anyways, since this is more of a social thread I kinda just wanted to say what's up to everyone. I'm going to main Weegee pretty much like everyone that is present in this thread but, I will also play with Toon Link since I loved Wind Waker so much. So yeah look forward to exchanging ideas with you all once the game comes out and hopefully this thread will be more social and less character related since that would help the other threads on here be more active.

:luigi:

Last edited:

gamer8

Smash Lord
I think I'm most excited to play Luigi, I'll be using him the most for sure. He's my favorite video game character and I like the way he plays, he looks really fun from what I've seen so I can't wait to get my hands on him.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
As for the custom moves. I'm confused as to why one of his cyclone moves only pushes the opponent away. I think it is number 2. Does that mean he has been given wind boxes like G&w lol.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
As for the custom moves. I'm confused as to why one of his cyclone moves only pushes the opponent away. I think it is number 2. Does that mean he has been given wind boxes like G&w lol.
Isn't that the one that gives Luigi the insane recovery? That's the one I'm using for sure.

Donyoku

Greed
Oh yeah guys wanted to say that I kinda want to be apart of the information gathering for Luigi when we start making threads about % damage, knockback, matchups, etc. So if anyone is interested in starting that with me in the up coming weeks I would appreciate it, and of course I will be helping if that's already happening.

TeamFlareZakk

How many people can say with a straight face that they prefer Mario over Luigi? But seriously, I think Luigi is the more likable character. There's just a depth to his character that Mario doesn't have.

Honestly, the Green Missile is one of the aspects of Luigi that drew me to him in SSBM in the first place. It added to his...unpredictability. There was nothing more satisfying than pulling a Misfire and watching your target fly into oblivion. Not to mention the distance it covered back in the day. The look on the other guy's face when you pulled a Misfire and averted a lethal blow is just pure gold.

Eh, it's ok, I guess. I do like his up taunt, though. I think it adds to his quirkiness.

Pfft. You call that a death stare? The look Reggie gave Iwata when they staring each other down in the digital event was more of a death stare.

Green Missile is awesome. THAT IS ALL.
Someone who actually plans to use Mario more than both Luigi and Wario, after seeing the color swaps for Mario and knowing the fact the fact of the matter is I'm just better with him than Luigi, Dr Mario, Wario, he's just my best plumber to play as, he's Mario.

I'll still use Luigi though, just not as much as Mario, and since Mario can use the Waluigi costume, I'm just going to have Luigi wear his green.

Donyoku

Greed
I feel like we should not be looking to heavily into peoples so called tier lists. Small percent of the community has even played the game and a lot of characters get way more play time than Luigi.

D

Deleted member

https://game8.jp/matome/14157

According to the Japanese preliminary tier list, Luigi is bottom 6. Thoughts?
I wouldn't list characters in tiers already. The game has been out for nearly a month now; having a tier list is a bit pre-mature. We just need to give it some time and learn the metagames of each character.
Let's just wait and see how Luigi preforms in two days before stating he is bottom tiered.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Does anyone know if his Down Air's Sweet Spot is easier to hit?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Oh yeah guys wanted to say that I kinda want to be apart of the information gathering for Luigi when we start making threads about % damage, knockback, matchups, etc. So if anyone is interested in starting that with me in the up coming weeks I would appreciate it, and of course I will be helping if that's already happening.
I was planning making a write up on that and also I was interested in doing hitboxes for luigi, but that might be a challenge since I'm not sure how Toonami was able to do his hitboxes like he did for brawl.

EDIT
yes the dair sweetspot is easier to hit.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Someone who actually plans to use Mario more than both Luigi and Wario, after seeing the color swaps for Mario and knowing the fact the fact of the matter is I'm just better with him than Luigi, Dr Mario, Wario, he's just my best plumber to play as, he's Mario.
I'm not sure how palettes have any influence in your decision, but whatever works for you, I guess. I still believe Luigi is the superior plumber, though. ...I DID use the Doc a lot, for whatever reason...
I'll still use Luigi though, just not as much as Mario, and since Mario can use the Waluigi costume, I'm just going to have Luigi wear his green.
I'm guessing you like Waluigi?

Donyoku

Greed
I was planning making a write up on that and also I was interested in doing hitboxes for luigi, but that might be a challenge since I'm not sure how Toonami was able to do his hitboxes like he did for brawl.

EDIT
yes the dair sweetspot is easier to hit.
Yeah, I'll do whatever I can to help just let me know. Really interested in it.

TeamFlareZakk

I'm not sure how palettes have any influence in your decision, but whatever works for you, I guess. I still believe Luigi is the superior plumber, though. ...I DID use the Doc a lot, for whatever reason...

I'm guessing you like Waluigi?
Yes, I do like Waluigi, always did.

I think this game was fair with Waluigi, sure we don't have him playable, but I'd rather have the Mario Bros have his color swap, at first I wanted Wario to have it, but then again I just don't see myself using Wario as much as Mario or Luigi, so I'm glad Mario and Luigi got that color swap.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Yes, I do like Waluigi, always did.

I think this game was fair with Waluigi, sure we don't have him playable, but I'd rather have the Mario Bros have his color swap, at first I wanted Wario to have it, but then again I just don't see myself using Wario as much as Mario or Luigi, so I'm glad Mario and Luigi got that color swap.
Wario's WarioWare outfit has actually grown on me more than his classic outfit, and I don't know anything about WarioWare. I pretty much use Wario as much as Luigi, they're both good characters IMO.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
What custom moves will you guys use?
Looking like bouncing fireballs, straight missile, easy or default uppercut, and the tornado variation that makes you recovery super high [his best custom move by far]

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Looking like bouncing fireballs, straight missile, easy or default uppercut, and the tornado variation that makes you recovery super high [his best custom move by far]
Mine will be Bouncing Fireballs, Default Missile, Burial Jump, and Mach Tornado.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Looking at this game.... I still hate Luigi portrayal in Smash. Sakurai flanderized his cowardice and goofiness.
He sounds like a major wuss who trips on his own two feet and flops on his belly like a moron.

(sigh) I miss the N64 Luigi.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
What custom moves will you guys use?
Not sure, it's kind of hard to decide. I'm perfectly fine with the default fireball, though I might try the iceball. The Straight Missile is speedy, so I might use that. I don't know if I'd swap out the Super Jump Punch for anything. I'm quite fond of the default Cyclone, though the one that offers extra force is something to consider.

Donyoku

Greed
Looking at this game.... I still hate Luigi portrayal in Smash. Sakurai flanderized his cowardice and goofiness.
He sounds like a major wuss who trips on his own two feet and flops on his belly like a moron.

(sigh) I miss the N64 Luigi.
Honestly dude, I don't see the problem. Luigi has always been a scary little brother. It was always shown that way even more so in the Luigi Mansion games where he is literally tripping and falling every two seconds because he is scared of ghosts. Luigi has never been this strong headed, absolute, fearless character. He has always been a scary, coward, stuck in his brother shadow character and that's why I love him lol. He still gets the job done even through all of that, he is human in that respect to me.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Honestly dude, I don't see the problem. Luigi has always been a scary little brother. It was always shown that way even more so in the Luigi Mansion games where he is literally tripping and falling every two seconds because he is scared of ghosts. Luigi has never been this strong headed, absolute, fearless character. He has always been a scary, coward, stuck in his brother shadow character and that's why I love him lol. He still gets the job done even through all of that, he is human in that respect to me.
In Luigi's case, it was hard to get a feel for his personality early on. I think it was like this until Paper Mario, when characters started participating in dialogues. From this point, Luigi's personality was further refined in the GCN era, and eventually to the Luigi we have today. But yeah, I also like the fact that he's the awkward and cowardly bro. At least he has a defined personality, whereas Mario is just...Mario.

Donyoku

Greed
In Luigi's case, it was hard to get a feel for his personality early on. I think it was like this until Paper Mario, when characters started participating in dialogues. From this point, Luigi's personality was further refined in the GCN era, and eventually to the Luigi we have today. But yeah, I also like the fact that he's the awkward and cowardly bro. At least he has a defined personality, whereas Mario is just...Mario.
Yeah another reason why people can relate to Luigi than Mario is the fact that Mario does not have a personality, he is just the main character thats it really. Luigi needed a reason to be different and thus is more complex than Mario and it shows in games like this.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Question for all of you.
How do you guys feel about Luigi so far?
I'm liking that he has/ jab, grab, *great options in all directions* utilt, a faster fireball and now a dash attack.

Although most other things they got nerfed notably, I'm saying this after putting in a good amount of time so if I'm wrong and you can prove it please correct me but f-smash, u-smash, nair and even up B all seem to be weaker.
On light characters although you can tell the difference it's not as bad but on middleweights and onward having a better string game in exchange for knockback reduction on everything seems to be something in the long run that is gonna hurt him.

Recovery wise, it seems like green missile got a bit of a buff in terms of range and on hit seems to send people back a little bit. Cyclone got a new diagonal angle to travel in and can even kill off the top notably better but the nerf in vertical rising *although at least we can still rise makes it more challenging to get back safely.

Weaknesses we pretty much are unchanged from brawl. Overall it seems like there were some changes to make him somewhat more solid mid-screen, provide better pressure to accumulate damage due to game mechanics...though we lost what was he was amazing with which is threateningly early kill potential.

What are your experiences so far?

Donyoku

Greed
Question for all of you.
How do you guys feel about Luigi so far?
I'm liking that he has/ jab, grab, *great options in all directions* utilt, a faster fireball and now a dash attack.

Although most other things they got nerfed notably, I'm saying this after putting in a good amount of time so if I'm wrong and you can prove it please correct me but f-smash, u-smash, nair and even up B all seem to be weaker.
On light characters although you can tell the difference it's not as bad but on middleweights and onward having a better string game in exchange for knockback reduction on everything seems to be something in the long run that is gonna hurt him.

Recovery wise, it seems like green missile got a bit of a buff in terms of range and on hit seems to send people back a little bit. Cyclone got a new diagonal angle to travel in and can even kill off the top notably better but the nerf in vertical rising *although at least we can still rise makes it more challenging to get back safely.

Weaknesses we pretty much are unchanged from brawl. Overall it seems like there were some changes to make him somewhat more solid mid-screen, provide better pressure to accumulate damage due to game mechanics...though we lost what was he was amazing with which is threateningly early kill potential.

What are your experiences so far?
This is better suited for the Gameplay discussion. Post in there are you'll get a better response from the Luigi community

Top Bottom