• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Passed as in passing.
Not past as in time.
lol

Talking about general life stuff and how it applies to vidjo gamez
nvm if you don't get it. You will one day through things that aren't 'words'
That's why most people suck at this game...as well as other things XD
"Past" doesn't just mean time. "Passed" is like you're saying "I passed the ball to him." You get "past" an obstacle, not "passed" it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
So guys, leading up to Pound 5, I want us all to be sharp with our Luigis. Let's see how high we place!

I have a concern - how do you guys approach the Peach matchup? I was playing lloD and he switched his style up a little bit to incorporate more aerials. I'm having trouble getting past Fairs, and his Nairs/Bairs mess up Luigi's combos real good. They just come out too quickly.

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
Okay I am a noob when it comes to tournaments cause i've only been to one tourney in 2008 at my area, but what are Pounds? Is it a like a money match tournament?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
No, Pound is just the name of the tournament series. There have been 4 so far and they've gotten increasingly popular. Pound 4 was definitely one of the biggest tournaments to date, and was one of the earlier tournaments that brought in players from Europe (I think it was the 2nd after Genesis or RoM? I forget). Pound 5 is the final installment and will definitely be HUGE and epic. I would go if I were you, even if just to spectate.

Vist

Smash Champion
i would love to go, but i think i cant. sht
blea nooooooooooooooooooo

:(

there should be a bring blea to pound 5 thread like they made for armada

So guys, leading up to Pound 5, I want us all to be sharp with our Luigis. Let's see how high we place!

I have a concern - how do you guys approach the Peach matchup? I was playing lloD and he switched his style up a little bit to incorporate more aerials. I'm having trouble getting past Fairs, and his Nairs/Bairs mess up Luigi's combos real good. They just come out too quickly.
Hmmm, not really sure if I understand what you're having trouble with. Whenever you get new vids up with your bro, I can try to give my 2 cents about it.

But from what you have said, it sounds like if your combos are getting messed up by peach's nair/bair, you are probably going for unsafe attacks.

Vist

Smash Champion
Here's something I'd like to discuss with the other luigis:

What are the best options for following up jab resets? The main idea is to kill or rack up damage obviously..

It can be pretty situational, but up until recently I almost always dsmashed or maybe with the occasional sh nair or up B depending on the character / percentage.

Grabbing seems pretty good as long as you can ensure a follow-up hit / combo but I realized I rarely do this as luigi compared to other characters. Uthrow to wd fair / dair should work as long as you don't mess up the wd / spacing / timing regardless of di. You can try going past them -> grabbing them from the other side if you need room to account for proper di.

Utilts seem to be pretty good but I have to experiment with this more against actual opponents. Dem CPUS love em lol. The first and possibly the last frames of the hitbox are so low it really just scoops people up haha..

not sure what else...

Usmash? A pretty good kill move and potentially a combo starter..

Fsmash? Sometimes a decent killing move but also feels like it sends opponents FAR regardless.

Dtilt? Haha I never use this but maybe it would lead to something. I doubt it can ever be a better option than the rest.

A realllllllly late sh uair possibly?

Also I don't usually intend on doing it, but jab resets with the dash attack are pretty interesting. I can't tell how viable it is against opponents who hold up or w/e to break out of the resets. It's a little bit harder to set-up I guess but it adds a few extra percentage (which may not be good if it puts them to a high enough percentage to break free)

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
For jab resets, it's important to note that Falcon always gets forced into a neutral stand by Luigi's jab (unless he is holding up or up on the C stick, then he will pop up with no stun). Space animals can always do any of the 4 actions, depending on what they are pressing. So for Falcon you can do some tricker things, whereas for spacies you should just react and take whichever hit presents itself imo.

With that out of the way, you pretty much always have grab vs. dsmash as options.

I prefer grab at low percents (i.e. if they would hit the ground again from dsmash before you recover from lag), dsmash at the percents slightly higher than that (like at the percents where it could combo into grab or utilt), and then grab after that.

It all depends on what your opponent lets you do though. If they never DI the throw then grab is pretty much always the best choice. If you can't get a read on their DI then a mix is probably the best. Dsmash/Usmash makes for a nice mixup, as dsmash beats DI behind and usmash beats DI away.

I wouldn't generally go for nair or utilt out of jab reset unless it was at mid percents because they can crouch cancel those. Utilt seems good at mid percents. I'm not a big fan of nair in combos unless you can set it up so that it hits with the really weak hit, which defeats the purpose here (cause they could cc it).

Something like late dair could be interesting because you could follow that up with a wd into another aerial.

I don't think dash attack reset is any good because holding up breaks them out really easily. It's so laggy that if they break out they'll get a hit on you. Even if they break out of the regular jab reset you can probably hit them again if you're fast, and it'll at least force them to shield or roll or something.

TBH I don't even like jab resets all that much vs. space animals for the most part. It feels less guaranteed than dsmash, which you can react with as well. It's higher reward but less consistent. Feel free to go nuts with it vs. Falcon though, as most people probably won't be holding up.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I think sh nair is the best option out of jab reset cause it's just extra damage. you can follow up with anything.

And dash attack is AWESOME

Rappster

Smash Ace
hey guys.
after going to my first tournament (genesis 2) and getting absolutely *****, i decided i'm no longer a marth main, but instead i'm gonna be a doc/luigi double main.
what are good things for me to practice?

Top Bottom