• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

ss118

Smash Master
I just made a thread right below this one about my friend's Luigi: if anyone would comment on it, I would love them forever.

*insert "no homo" here*

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Is double aerialing ever a good idea vs Fox/Falcon/Fast characters?

This is something that's been bugging me for a while now. I feel like every Luigi that I've seen (including myself) uses double aerial too much against fast characters as a default spacing tool when it's really not safe at all if you miss or hit their shield. I mean we tend to get away with it because for the most part people aren't used to the timing, and it's better than your other options if you end up attacking and hitting their shield, but I feel like theoretically it's just bad.

Am I wrong about this? When is using double aerial actually a good idea, and not just something you do when you miss? Should Luigi even try to use aerials much in a neutral situation on flat ground vs fast characters?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
What if your using double aerial to shield poke though.

If you get a little pressure game going with wd jabs or ftilt, a double aerial can result in a hit, or in the best case, a broken shield. Which means shoryu for great profit.

Thoughts?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
If someone lets there shield get broken by Luigi, then you can probably get away with whatever you want because that person sucks at this game.

Winston

Smash Master
I prefer single aerial into waveland more than double aerial.
well the way I see it, double aerial means you're more vulnerable to an attack after you land, and waveland means you're more vulnerable before you land, right? I don't think it's really safer.

my main question is, when should you use aerials at all from neutral vs fox/falcon?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Not true, because of shield stun the window of opportunity to get hit out of a single aerial waveland is much smaller than an l-canceled double aerial. Not too mention you cannot grab single aerial waveland. However, like all things it is situational.

Good foxes and falcons know how to play against Luigi. It is hard to grab them and hard to start combos. I generally try to hit them with WD uptilt/upsmash and tech chase or combo from that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The only characters I have ever seen break a shield (in singles matches - combo vids are not counted) are Peach, Fox, Falco, and Marth. Ordered for frequency.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I saw a Falcon break a Samus shield once. Too much afraidage.

Pakman, you have difficulty grabbing Fox and Falcon or just find it risky?
I've been having a LOT of success just spamming DD JC grabs and WDing around, essentially staying grounded and grabbing only for long periods of time.

If you're ftilting, utilting, jabbing and all of that stuff, they WILL shield or evade or SOMETHING when expecting you to attack when you're near.

GO FOR THE GRABS!
It's always worth it. Always!
Unlike Samus with a crap grab or Pika with a small grab, Luigi can spam his while flying around the stage practically and safely. Do it more! >:[

Edit: At least against Foxes, Flacos, Marths etc.
I haven't played a Falcon or Shiek in almost a month. :\
Good ones anyway.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
DOUBLE POST NEEDED

I need help. I don't know if anyone here would bother but I'm posting this anyway.

I've really been struggling to narrow down the characters I use in tournament, etc. (a main in general really) I simply can't decide who to play. I enjoy playing them all and have been successful in MMs and tourneys with each of them so none of that has cleared this up for me or been an issue, I just simply don't know who to stick with so even use random often.

If anyone cares about having 1 more Luigi player, or wants me to stick with him if you know me or anything, please vote. :\

Any input is good but meaningless votes are completely welcome too if you don't know me/don't care but would still want me to play Luigi or something. :)
I just need help. :(

Thanks. hahah
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10468126#post10468126

I've posted this a lot, everywhere.

But for Luigi it's special. I'm using Luigi, no matter what. It's like my heritage now. Buuuut I still need all your help.

Please vote for who you want me to use aside from him. And vote for him too if you want of course. XD

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
If someone lets there shield get broken by Luigi, then you can probably get away with whatever you want because that person sucks at this game.
Pakman for president. :bigthumbu

I saw a Falcon break a Samus shield once. Too much afraidage.

I've been having a LOT of success just spamming DD JC grabs and WDing around, essentially staying grounded and grabbing only for long periods of time.

If you're ftilting, utilting, jabbing and all of that stuff, they WILL shield or evade or SOMETHING when expecting you to attack when you're near.

GO FOR THE GRABS!
Unlike Samus with a crap grab or Pika with a small grab, Luigi can spam his while flying around the stage practically and safely. Do it more! >:[

Edit: At least against Foxes, Flacos, Marths etc.
I haven't played a Falcon or Shiek in almost a month. :\
Good ones anyway.
This. Grabs=great profit.

DOUBLE POST NEEDED

I need help.
We know you do. =P

On point: Pick Jiggs, Sheik, or Marth.

Winston

Smash Master
Not true, because of shield stun the window of opportunity to get hit out of a single aerial waveland is much smaller than an l-canceled double aerial. Not too mention you cannot grab single aerial waveland. However, like all things it is situational.
Hm, I was thinking mostly when you miss with the first aerial, I kinda expect you to get hit OOS regardless if you hit their shield vs most chars. Good points though.

GO FOR THE GRABS!
that's an interesting idea, but the foxes I play pretty much always look to intercept a forward wd with an aerial, which grab will never beat. IDK I haven't tried spamming grabs before though.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I can get grabs against most players. But jman and Cactuar just seem to never get grabbed. I feel pretty helpless against foxes of that calibur. I am generally pretty good against other foxes. Even without grabbing. My problems with falcons stem from never being able to keep a lead :p.

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
SDing and choking ftl lol

Yeah a campy Fox (and Falcon) can be really annoying and tough to hit. Usmash instead then? hahaha

I'd have to play them to know, but I have a stupid style and seemingly undodgable chase down game against fast characters with my grabs. There's always a way. XD

Best of luck. :p

oh, this is Dyn posting. It's my bros old account and he just remembered it the other day and doesn't plan on using it again...so I'm taking it over as of this morning LOL

COEY

Smash Lord
I can get grabs against most players. But jman and Cactuar just seem to never get grabbed. I feel pretty helpless against foxes of that calibur. I am generally pretty good against other foxes. Even without grabbing.

My problems with falcons stem from never being able to keep a lead :p.
i like to wavedash turn around and grab them from behind in one fluid motion, surprises the cr@p out of ppl, and is pretty **** tbh. you can often get grabs in better parts of the stage. ie like next to the edge.

and yea falcon is soo ****ing gay to luigi, yoshis story isnt even fair :(

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I can get grabs against most players. But jman and Cactuar just seem to never get grabbed. I feel pretty helpless against foxes of that calibur. I am generally pretty good against other foxes. Even without grabbing. My problems with falcons stem from never being able to keep a lead :p.
No grab for you, only fist in face!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Kage, 17 MMs next time we meet. Luigi vs Ganon, just like you did with Ka. This time, Luigi will ****ing destroy you!
I promise. :)

You're just a big meany trying to pick on the hard working plumber just cause you're a king of some Hylander place. PFFFFFT!

This Fall+Winter, I'm coming East FOO! >:[

Vist

Smash Champion
lol wut

Luigi is all I ever use in tournament usually. I've been trying to better my secondaries via friendlies but it's a slow process lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage, 17 MMs next time we meet. Luigi vs Ganon, just like you did with Ka. This time, Luigi will ****ing destroy you!
I promise. :)

You're just a big meany trying to pick on the hard working plumber just cause you're a king of some Hylander place. PFFFFFT!

This Fall+Winter, I'm coming East FOO! >:[
If it ain't Ka, it's done!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Don't think BC doesn't know a thing or two about Luigi, and don't think it hasn't passed on to a certain someone. Ka's been 1 hour away from our core for years. ;)

I haven't decided yet, but Luigi will no doubt be one of them. The voting is too close, but it'll clear eventually I hope. I'll always be a jack of all trades too though.

Chillipepper

Smash Rookie
I have a few questions:
1) Is there a way to safely use dash A attack? I know it sucks pretty bad and is easily crouch canceled, but it has its situational bonuses like setting up for combos. the problem is half the time i use it i get comboed my self. ani tips would be great.
2) I've tried doing short hop double airs, but i just can't seem to do them. Is there any timing thats goes with this? also, my friend suggested trying out the c stick BUT it's really awkward short hopping and c sticking twice THEN l cancelling. Ani tips would be great :)

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
I have a few questions:
1) Is there a way to safely use dash A attack? I know it sucks pretty bad and is easily crouch canceled, but it has its situational bonuses like setting up for combos. the problem is half the time i use it i get comboed my self. ani tips would be great.
2) I've tried doing short hop double airs, but i just can't seem to do them. Is there any timing thats goes with this? also, my friend suggested trying out the c stick BUT it's really awkward short hopping and c sticking twice THEN l cancelling. Ani tips would be great :)
1. Never use dash attack. Ever.

2. You've got to use the first one right after you leave the ground, as you're still rising. For some reason a lot of people like to wait until they're at the peak of their SH to use the first aerial, and then run out of time to do the second. Practice SH - Dair - Nair - Lcancel, it's one of the easiest to pull off and by far the most commonly used one. I personally don't use the Cstick for airs, though some people here do.

Vist

Smash Champion
csticking is probably best for aerials so u can be free to hold any direction while doing the aerial etc. It takes longer to hit the cstick obviously but with practice it really shouldn't make a difference

Winston

Smash Master
Does anyone here hold c-stick down when wavedashing? (Not vs Peach obviously) (mostly vs Fox, but also useful vs Falcon)

some discussion in the matchup thread alerted me that I should be doing this so I can pseudo-CC during wavedashing. Seems obvious in hindsight but I hadn't thought of it before.

Top Bottom