• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Buffering Applications ((MINDGAMES UPDATE))

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I only use it for quick Dsmashes and rising nair to uppercut. If you cancel and immediately jump again into a rising nair at works great for setups. Point being, there isnt a HUGE amount of potential in this, but there are definately ways to mess with your opponant on occasion. I actually only figured this out two nights ago, and I thought I was on to something, then I come back here and people are talking about it. I thought I was going to contribute to Luigi's metagame... but alas, someone beat me to it.
I suppose its just a matter of playing style. I buffer almost everything after every aerial, makes luigi more nimble as a whole.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I suppose its just a matter of playing style. I buffer almost everything after every aerial, makes luigi more nimble as a whole.
Ugh, I'm not going to go over this again but I will say this.

This is exactly what we were talking about, (by we I mean the smash crew of my college), what it does is just make luigi or mario more flashy and more "pro" when it doesn't contribute to anything out of the ordinary, it is just safer to play normally than making something flashy and more risky to oneself.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace

This is exactly what we were talking about, (by we I mean the smash crew of my college), what it does is just make luigi or mario more flashy and more "pro" when it doesn't contribute to anything out of the ordinary, it is just safer to play normally than making something flashy and more risky to oneself.
I don't see the risk in this. If anything, attacking immediately out of an aerial is safer, as there is less time for the opponent to react. You cover up your soft spots by being able to buffer a shield or sidestep, and can attack quickly with a smash. If you know how to do this right, you won't be taking much of a risk, unless you can point out an instance where it would be punishable.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice

its not really as useless as you make it out to be. its good for faking out the opponent once in a while or say you short hop fair, your opponent is mabye expecting another so you fast fall airdodge and grab/shoryuken/fsmash. i agree with you on this point though this is most definately not a replacement for short hop double arials.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
this doesnt help with speed at all and isnt as amazing as some of you are making it out to be.

but it is however great for avoiding an attack with your air dodge and getting your counter attack out as fast as possible, but that shouldnt be a new idea to anyone as thats like, the whole idea of a fighting game lol. dont get hit, and hit your opponent.

i wasnt aware of how early you could do the smash and it would still come out, but i would rather not get in to the habbit of doing that and jsut trust my own timing. its still good to know tho, maybe ill put it in a LUIGinfo vid later.

boss8

Smash Hero
this doesnt help with speed at all and isnt as amazing as some of you are making it out to be.

but it is however great for avoiding an attack with your air dodge and getting your counter attack out as fast as possible, but that shouldnt be a new idea to anyone as thats like, the whole idea of a fighting game lol. dont get hit, and hit your opponent.

i wasnt aware of how early you could do the smash and it would still come out, but i would rather not get in to the habbit of doing that and jsut trust my own timing. its still good to know tho, maybe ill put it in a LUIGinfo vid later.
hi hater wassup???

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace

Well you kinda contradicted yourself there. Its a bigger part of the game than you think, because you even said its great for avoiding and countering, the whole part of a fighting game. Well, if these applications show just how to do it, I consider it a big part of the game xD. But hey, i gather that people aren't too crazy about buffering moves, its just out there for anyone to use.

It doesn't really matter whenever people use this or not, i just wanted to share it with people and see what they had to say. After all, its not like this board is teeming with threads about stuff that isn't usually discussed about.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I don't see the risk in this. If anything, attacking immediately out of an aerial is safer, as there is less time for the opponent to react. You cover up your soft spots by being able to buffer a shield or sidestep, and can attack quickly with a smash. If you know how to do this right, you won't be taking much of a risk, unless you can point out an instance where it would be punishable.
You can attack, shield, sidestep, immediately after an aerial after an auto cancel...

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I know that you already edited it and established it, the thing is that you kept reinstating the point's you have made before.
So what was that last comment about doing all that stuff out of the auto cancel for?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So what was that last comment about doing all that stuff out of the auto cancel for?
A reply to this:

ALiAsVee said:

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
So you're agreeing with the fact its not risky then? Because what you said is basically what i just said. xD. I'm just a little confused, I'm not trying to argue with you.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So you're agreeing with the fact its not risky then? Because what you said is basically what i just said. xD. I'm just a little confused, I'm not trying to argue with you.
Lol I know youre not trying to argue with me, what I mean is that you stated that saying that buffering (The luigi cancel) is good for said things, but with autocancel you basically can do the same thing.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
OH well yeah, I know that. I have long since stopped referring to it as Luigi Canceling, since i realized it was the same. I was wondering what the hell you were talking about, because i was saying the same thing xD. Thats why i changed the title of the thread to just "buffering applications", though i realize this wasn't as groundbreaking in terms of advancing metagame. I still find it useful, and i buffer out of my autocancel all the time.

I said i wasn't arguing because the way i talk online tends to make people think that way, especially when I am defending a point, xP.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'm bringing this back cause why should we use a less detailed thread when we have a more detailed one...I'll update this tommorow.

Hippie please don't kill me for bumping this. We should keep the L-Cancel stuff in here.

LuigiL

Smash Rookie
how much lag does Luigi actually have when landing?

Maybe I'm not doing it right but it doesn't seem like a big difference...

also what is more effective in your opinion, short hopping after or doing an attack?

TheMann

Smash Ace
Lmao @ that sig. Wasn't sure what luigi was holding at first but when I figured it out I laughed.

LuigiL

Smash Rookie
lol thanks :) Aliasvee mentioned this idea in the siggy contest, I thought it would be fun to draw!

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
lol thanks :) Aliasvee mentioned this idea in the siggy contest, I thought it would be fun to draw!
Check it out ALiAs, you've become inspiration for art.

LuigiL, "Buffering" doesn't cancel any lag. Buffering just lets you pull out the next move ASAP. Buffering a dSmash means that you input dSmash before you're actually allowed to perform it, and the dSmash will be performed automatically as soon as he finishes his previous move. If humans had perfect timing, they wouldn't need buffering. But we don't, and buffering will make sure we don't waste even a frame.

FFAD Buffering a Jab means that there's only 1 frame between when you land and when you're jab hits. ONE FRAME!! They only have a 1/30th of a second window to hit you before you hit back. Now, technically if their hitbox lasts 10 frames, they have a 10 frame window, but you drastically reduce your chances of getting hit by buffering a Jab. Any attack that comes out fast is a great attack to buffer.

To answer your question LuigiL, if you're attacking, Buffer into a ground attack. If you're on the defensive and just waiting for them to approach, continue stringing together Short Hop Aerial to FFADs. For example, SHDAFFAD to SHDAFFAD to SHDAFFAD. At least, that's what I think is best, since you reduce your vulnerablity by AD buffering back into more AD buffering.

Magus420

Smash Master
FFAD Buffering a Jab means that there's only 1 frame between when you land and when you're jab hits. ONE FRAME!! They only have a 1/30th of a second window to hit you before you hit back.
You're forgetting landlag. Interruptible after 2 for a low speed/soft landing and 4 for a higher speed/hard landing. You should also be able to input a buffered move without the airdodge during that landlag if you wanted to and have it come out perfectly, which is also a large enough window to hit reliably with decent timing.

In the case of a FFAD to jab you'd be vulnerable for 5 frames (1/12th of a second), and the jab would hit on 6. If you were to shorthop and AD without FFing you'd be vulnerable for 3 and hit on 4.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Woot I am an inspiration xD.

I'll clean up this thread tonight after work, for the record there is no reducing frames so much as it is quickly going from one move to another. When I made this guide, I thought the frames were being cut down like Melee Lag Cancel, but I later changed it. The guide still suffers from some discrepancies and ish a little outdated, which will get fixed. Every luigi NEEDS this knowledge of buffering, once i learned it and applied it, I get a helluva lot better.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
EDIT: I'm dumb xD, I accidentally copied my OP. Check it out, I did a little updating and will add some more tommorow. Feedback pl0x.

LuigiL

Smash Rookie
wow Brawl is deep huh??

thanks for the input elheber! I'll definitely be incorporating this into my game from now on!

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
wow Brawl is deep huh??
Its only as deep as the amount of effort you put into it. I have made tetris a deep game with all the tricks I learned how to do =D. Less to it than melee though.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i have to think more when i recover with luigi in melee then i do when i play tourney matches in brawl.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i have to think more when i recover with luigi in melee then i do when i play tourney matches in brawl.
I have that in General, its a lot easier to recover in Brawl, but I think its also easier to spike/gimp cause everyone is bigger and floatier.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i ment recovering with luigi in melee is more dificult and technical to do than all of brawl.

i love brawl tho lol

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
^^^ Yeah i understand, i was just saying how its harder in melee in general, not just with Luigi. You have to be a lot more exact.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'm double posting and bumping this cause I believe it should be looked about and added on too.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Good idea, I stared at the OP for quite sometime when I thought this thread could use a actual in-depth tutorial, with commentary and people who can use it. Step by step so more Luigi's can learn it because it is in the ToC we can refer to it whenever.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Top Bottom