• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The problem is, that's her most well known form - wearing Marth's clothes and using Marth's sword techniques. If Lucina were a separate character, she would basically be a clone of Marth, in appearance and in moveset.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lucina and Marth do not fight alike.

Lucina's Falchion both looks different from Marth, and her fighting style is entirely distinct from his. The fact that they are the same sword is, frankly, more than a little absurd.

Lucina was taught how to fight by her father and their fighting styles are canonically stated to be similar. Yet Lucina is a Marth clone but her blue-haired father somehow isn't.

Right.

Chrom and Lucina's outfits are both very different from Marth in Shadow Dragon, which is what Smash 4 Marth's appearance is based on. Lucina is no more of a clone than Ike or Chrom, and would have no trouble being a unique character.

FFS, this is the Lucina support thread, not the 'defeatist attitude and fallacious arguments with regards to Lucina' thread.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
FFS, this is the Lucina support thread, not the 'defeatist attitude and fallacious arguments with regards to Lucina' thread.
I'm simply presenting possible reasons why Lucina might not be playable. Chrom seems to be higher priority than Lucina, but if there are three Fire Emblem reps because of Awakening bringing increased popularity to the series, then I can see Lucina taking the third spot, as long as she isn't a clone. Although she might be a bit hard to distinguish from Marth on Palutena's Temple.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm simply presenting possible reasons why Lucina might not be playable. Chrom seems to be higher priority than Lucina, but if there are three Fire Emblem reps because of Awakening bringing increased popularity to the series, then I can see Lucina taking the third spot, as long as she isn't a clone. Although she might be a bit hard to distinguish from Marth on Palutena's Temple.

Nope.
The same could be said about Ike and Chrom, which is still a bad argument.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm a bit late but...

I think the art direction they chose for Marth only supports Lucina's inclusion. Had they used his Melee/FE3-inspired look, he would look a lot more like Lucina. But with the primitive boots, short sleeves, and large surcoat with stark-contrasting yellows, he would have a decent visual distinction from Lucina should she be chosen for inclusion.

These days I am not pushing for a Chrom character slot, or a Lucina character slot, but both, and I don't mean at the same time.

I think the best way to please the fans is to have Chrom as a playable character, and give players the option to switch him to Lucina on the character selection screen. Their moves, properties, weight, etc. would be 100% identical, but they would have different taunts, voice lines, crowd cheers, etc. Sure they are different heights, but they were willing to bring the two Wii Fit trainers closer in size, so they can do the same for Chrom and Lucina.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Wrong, Robin is more likely to take the third spot as he/she is more unique than Lucina (Swords and Tomes). Too bad Chrom is always seen as the main character along with Lucina. Everyone forgets that Robin is just as important as Chrom and more important than Lucina.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I've been wanting to make a Lucina moveset for a while, finally got around to it today. It's not a full moveset, but just her playstyle as I envision and specials. I made use of Schrodinger's mother for specials, pulling skills she can inherit from Sumia, Sully, and Maribelle.

Lucina is a durable character who specializes in getting in close in racking up damage. Unlike Marth, who fights from the tip, Lucina's has Roy's sweetspot, forcing her to get in close to make the most of her attacks. Her main weakness is a lack of kill moves, and most of those being vertical finishers giving her difficulty killing heavier characters.

Specials

Aether (Neutral B) - Lucina strikes once in front of her, and then does a moving strike which causes her to go through the enemy. The trajectory knocks the enemy above where Lucina ends the attack, making it a decent combo starter. Inherited from Chrom.

Tomefaire (Side B) - Lucina takes out a Thoron tome and casts the spell, sending out a lightning bolt. Has average start up lag, horrible end lag, and knockback that isn't killing (on the flip side, won't leave Lucina very vulnerable if it hits), but is Lucina's only projectile and deals comparatively high damage to the rest of her moveset. Is decently quick Intended for use as a combo finisher early on in a stock. Goes the length of 1/2 Final D. Inherited from Sage!Maribelle (because neither Valkryie nor War Cleric had skills I could translate to Smash).

Lancefaire (Up B) - Lucina pulls out a spear and moves upward at a slight angle. While lacking distance, the move makes up for it with its ability to hit enemies hanging out near the edge before she grabs it (like Squirtle's Up B). However, the hit box is slow to come out, so it has to be time properly. Also can act as a vertical finisher and is one her few kill move with a sweetspot on the tip of the spear. Inherited from Falco Knight!Sumia.

Aegis (Down B) - Lucina's counter, with a bit of a twist. If she gets hit, she can choose to do an attack or simply act out of it. To compensate, it has several weaknesses. She does still take half damage from the attack, she's unable to absorb attacks above a certain threshold, and the window is smaller than most counters. Additionally, it has even worse than usual endlag if you 'miss' with it (as in, get hit by Ike's F-Smash bad). The nature of the attack makes its best use approaching projectile campers. Inherited from Paladin!Sully.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's becoming increasingly clear that Sakurai does not want to have redundancy in his roster. I think Chrom is the most unoriginal character they could add to the game, not just to the FE cast, but in general.

Lucina, it is impossible for her to be a clone of the character she most resembles. If she fights like her father, and is extremely fast, and Chrom is supposed to be a clone of Ike, then that creates two differences between the two.

I think Lucina could be unique, and it would require less effort than Chrom. I want this thread to have new life breathed into it, and convincing people Lucina is unique is the first step.

edit: Someone, seriously, reply to this thread.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Giving characters who specialize in swords tomes is a bad idea. It's okay for Robin because he specializes in both equally, but if you give a lord a weapon they don't use i that class it gets dumb, STAHP IT!

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Giving characters who specialize in swords tomes is a bad idea. It's okay for Robin because he specializes in both equally, but if you give a lord a weapon they don't use i that class it gets dumb, STAHP IT!
...Trolling? I can never tell with you. As far as I'm aware, the things that separates Lucina from Chrom is more reclassing options and status as a second gen character. Don't use either, you may as well just have Chrom, imo.

Hong

The Strongest
I generally see Lucina as a character people want for rather ulterior reasons, and that's fine.

Much like Chrom, she doesn't really have anything SPECIAL in terms of features, powers, etc. They are both characters people will like just for their (albeit recent) legacy and accolades. Chrom gets a lot of flack, but I like both of the characters, myself. But back to my point: If you look at someone like, say, Samus, you can think of lots of reasons for wanting her in the game for gameplay reasons. Paper Mario as well, has his fans, but lots of folks just like the idea he has to offer.

And since we want such a comparatively basic character in the scheme of all the wackos you have in the Nintendo vault, at some point their existence comes with the consequence of other characters just not having enough substance of their own. You will have to not only assign the development time, but creativity and ideas, for a character who shares possibilities with another character. It's not like we're talking Mario and Luigi where you have popular and actually important characters that MUST appear, so unless one or the other is a costume or a pair up mechanic is involved, it is unlikely we will see both (or even one) as a playable character.

So yeah, Lucina is my guilty character for this Smash Bros. Someone I only want in the game because I like the character. There are many ways to make her an interesting fighters; I can do it, so can the developer.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I generally see Lucina as a character people want for rather ulterior reasons, and that's fine.

Much like Chrom, she doesn't really have anything SPECIAL in terms of features, powers, etc. They are both characters people will like just for their (albeit recent) legacy and accolades. Chrom gets a lot of flack, but I like both of the characters, myself. But back to my point: If you look at someone like, say, Samus, you can think of lots of reasons for wanting her in the game for gameplay reasons. Paper Mario as well, has his fans, but lots of folks just like the idea he has to offer.

And since we want such a comparatively basic character in the scheme of all the wackos you have in the Nintendo vault, at some point their existence comes with the consequence of other characters just not having enough substance of their own. You will have to not only assign the development time, but creativity and ideas, for a character who shares possibilities with another character. It's not like we're talking Mario and Luigi where you have popular and actually important characters that MUST appear, so unless one or the other is a costume or a pair up mechanic is involved, it is unlikely we will see both (or even one) as a playable character.

So yeah, Lucina is my guilty character for this Smash Bros. Someone I only want in the game because I like the character. There are many ways to make her an interesting fighters; I can do it, so can the developer.
Yeah, I consider Lucina the same way, I know she won't offer anything special unless real work is put in to it, but I just like the characters role, and personality in Awakening. ((Chrom on the other hand, I didn't even like in his own game :smirk:) but that's for another time.)

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Frankly I find Lucina being a great and popular and unique character enough of a reason for her to be the Smash representative of the latest Fire Emblem game if there's going to be one. Chrom does not meet these criteria imo.

Robin's another good choice but Smash hasn't been kind to non-Lord Fire Emblem characters.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Frankly I find Lucina being a great and popular and unique character enough of a reason for her to be the Smash representative of the latest Fire Emblem game if there's going to be one. Chrom does not meet these criteria imo.

Robin's another good choice but Smash hasn't been kind to non-Lord Fire Emblem characters.
Except that Ike was his in his Ranger form in Brawl and is in his Hero form in SSB4.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Oh Lucina....shes one of my Most Wanted characters and it with her inclusion i have 5 of my favorite gaming characters (8 if ROB, Mr.Game & Watch & Falco return).

I think Lucina could be unique i mean its Sakurai. He can make a moveset out of (almost) everything. It would be okay for me if we get Robin or Chrom.
But i want her the most.

One of my reasons: I want her to kick Peachs royal a** (no kidding)
I rather have a kickass princess who can actually fight instead of a dumba** in distress who gets kidnapped for 30 years.

btw Kenith: You deserve a medal (and sympathy) my friend.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One of my reasons: I want her to kick Peachs royal a** (no kidding)
I rather have a kickass princess who can actually fight instead of a dumba** in distress who gets kidnapped for 30 years.

btw Kenith: You deserve a medal (and sympathy) my friend.
I agree completely, I think Lucina is the most progressive character in Nintendo's library.

And damn straight I deserve a medal! :D

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Chrom, in mine opinion, just looks way too generic. Heck, the artist of Fire Emblem: Awakening has a pretty generic style, in mine opinion.

As a character, I just think Lucina would stand out a lot more--not only because she is a woman, but that she also has a pretty cool fighting stance. Even though she learnt swordplay from him, Lucina fights totally differently from Chrom; whilst Chrom's fighting style mainly consists of slashes, Lucina's mainly consists of stabs. In Super Smash Bros, Lucina would be unique amongst the sword wielders in that her attacks would consist mostly of stabs instead of slashes. With enough imagination and creativity, Lucina could be completely different from Marth and Ike.

That all being said, if we do get a Fire Emblem: Awakening character, I will not be surprised if it turns out to be Chrom, since he is ultimately the titular character of the game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Since Lucina refers to herself as "Marth", and her proportions are pretty much the same, I'm calling for an alternate skin for Marth!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since Lucina refers to herself as "Marth", and her proportions are pretty much the same, I'm calling for an alternate skin for Marth!
Her proportions are not the same at all.

Lucina is a stick person she is so thin, Marth is actually quite buff. (SSB4 Marth's proportions are similar to Brawl Ike's)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Her proportions are not the same at all.

Lucina is a stick person she is so thin, Marth is actually quite buff. (SSB4 Marth's proportions are similar to Brawl Ike's)
Compare the Wii Fit Trainers. All that maters are hitboxes.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
They're still different characters.
I know this. But Lucina refers to herself as "Marth". So if she turns out to be an alternate skin, they still go under the same name, so it would be passable.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
She's Marth until midway through, then only Tiki calls her Marth once. (Well, Mar-Mar)

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
This is basically the single most offensive thing fans of the character have to put up with, and I'm going to ask you to kindly take your opinion somewhere it isn't visible to people who actually want her in Smash Bros as her own character and fighter. Who, despite all misinformed assertions to the contrary, is completely distinct from Marth in every way.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
This is basically the single most offensive thing fans of the character have to put up with, and I'm going to ask you to kindly take your opinion somewhere it isn't visible to people who actually want her in Smash Bros as her own character and fighter. Who, despite all misinformed assertions to the contrary, is completely distinct from Marth in every way.
I can't like this comment enough.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
This Comment. Just.....Best!

However isnt it already confirmed that character-Skins are only to characters that have an alternative form and are not the same person like the Villager or Little Mac (Wireframe).
Lucina is NOT Marth! The only reason why People think she would be clone or a Skin of Marth is because she called herself Marth in Awakening and maybe
because her clothing is SIMILAR but not the same!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I have that skin hack. Now if only I could figure out to get the voice working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom