• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think Lucina will be an alt. costume for Marth, I think it's very possible that it could happen.
We have a male Wii Fit Trainer, so why not have a female Marth? :awesome:
not that it couldn't happen, but Lucina's battle stance is different from Marth's since she holds her sword parallel to the ground. I was thinking that if Lucina got in the game she would have her own roster spot and have a mask/unmask costume swap.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So do you guys think Lucina will be an alt. costume for Marth, I think it's very possible that it could happen.
We have a male Wii Fit Trainer, so why not have a female Marth? :awesome:
It's a good idea, especially if they get their own voices, it sure would be awkward to have Male WFT have Female WFT's voice. Same goes with Marth and Lucina

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Marth needs this as an alternate costume!
Seriously all they'd have to do is give him longer hair! (or a mask)
That Lucina has such broad, manly shoulders. I don't know why Peach is disappointed.

D

Deleted member

You heard me.
Daisy's more than just her "friend", you know.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Two things on this board really burn me up: People saying Lucina is a Marth clone and people saying that Chrom is the main character of FE13. The first is obviously untrue - starting with the fact that Lucina's Falchion isn't even a Rapier. Secondly, Chrom is an interesting character, more so than some FE lords, but he suffers from Eliwood syndrome in my opinion. He may be the central focus of the story for a bit (but less so than Eliwood in FE7, because Robin and Lucina have equally integral roles to play) but is overshadowed by his more interesting and popular companions.

Personally, I feel that Lucina's chances for Smash 4 are underrated. Speaking as a die-hard Ike fanboy and Ike main, I wouldn't be sad to see him go over Lucina. I'm predicting something along the lines of Marth/Lucina/Ike or Lyn or God forbid, Chrom.

Say, 4 FE reps would be pretty nice...

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Two things on this board really burn me up: People saying Lucina is a Marth clone and people saying that Chrom is the main character of FE13. The first is obviously untrue - starting with the fact that Lucina's Falchion isn't even a Rapier. Secondly, Chrom is an interesting character, more so than some FE lords, but he suffers from Eliwood syndrome in my opinion. He may be the central focus of the story for a bit (but less so than Eliwood in FE7, because Robin and Lucina have equally integral roles to play) but is overshadowed by his more interesting and popular companions.

Personally, I feel that Lucina's chances for Smash 4 are underrated. Speaking as a die-hard Ike fanboy and Ike main, I wouldn't be sad to see him go over Lucina. I'm predicting something along the lines of Marth/Lucina/Ike or Lyn or God forbid, Chrom.
I agree with you. Personally, I think yeah, Chrom is sort of boring. That's partly the main appeal of Lucina, as well as the notion that Smash Bros. needs more female characters, which is an idea that I'm not opposed to.

I don't really see Ike getting cut, though, but with Awakening's success, 3 FE reps isn't farfetched at all. However, one should take into account that while Lucina doesn't fight like Marth, she IS stated to fight like Chrom, so it's not too likely that both of them would be newcomers.
Or we could get Robin instead.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Say, 4 FE reps would be pretty nice...
Honestly out of all the Awakening choices Lucina is my favorite, it's sad that she was forced to be a "Pretend Marth" in Awakening otherwise I would put her above Chrom and Robin.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
just so you all know, Lucina is up at rate the chances thread for rerating.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
my Lucina miiverse post on the Fire Emblem: Awakening community:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Revival!
I don't think I've ever said this here before, but I do support Lucina.She can definitely fight alot differently than Marth and fights differently than Marth in Awakening. Don't know why peoplekeep saying she does.

Hong

The Strongest
Going to retool my Chrom moveset a bit and post it here TBH.

If you could only choose one of the two, who honestly wants Chrom instead?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
While I do prefer Robin for SSB4, I certainly would love having Lucina in. She is the most popular female character in Japan from FE Awakening.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That was fast >.>

Alright. *knuckle crack* *neck crack* It's boom time.

The idea for this moveset came to me a few months ago while playing Awakening. Lucina had proc'd an Aether, and as I saw the animation I realized that the first hit of Aether was identical to Wolf's side-smash, but with a sword.

Wolf's Side-Smash with a disjoint.

Wolf's side-smash with a disjoint.

WOLF WITH A SWORD
Marth was all about proper spacing, reacting to DI out of his wonderful grab game to land an early tip and an early kill, plus low-percent kills with his amazing edgeguard game and infamous Ken Combo. Ike in Brawl was all about slow, measured advances and reading your opponent to land a big move at just the right time. (Which is completely unfaithful to canon, but was a very interesting fighting style. I tried to play him rushdown anyway, hehe).

Lucina is intended as a straightforward rushdown Fire Emblemnier. No sweetspot on her sword, no sudden bursts of damage, just a powerful combo game and juggle game. Good run speed, good airspeed and a strong focus on keeping your opponent in the air to rack up steady damage before landing one of her potent finishers. Much inspiration is taken from Wolf, both the Brawl and P:M iteration, as well as aspects of P:M's Fire Emblem character tweaks.

With that explained, let's talk moves.

Jab - Singular. No jab combo, one hit like Ganon or P:M Charizard. It's a quick forward horizontal swipe with sizeable knockback, but not really approaching a kill or gimp move - the angle it sends people is too high for a semi spike and too low to continue combos. Think 25 degrees. It's a good spacing and poking tool slightly on the slower side of her moves, but is perfect set-up for a dash attack. Almost a true combo at sufficient damage (and thus sufficient hitstun).

Dash Attack - Lucina has a very fast initial dash, the kind that lends itself to a great DACUS (should the mechanic still exist) and transfers momentum well to a short hop, allowing her good reach with her aerials. The dash attack itself is an uppercut. Falchion starts pointed at the ground and is slashed upwards in a long stroke that ends with Falchion pointed skyward. This is by itself a powerful juggling tool and there is no good escape with DI, as it sends at a near 80 degree angle and Lucina always has a guaranteed follow-up provided her player reacts properly. It's similar in Wolf's to function and speed, but is much safer when spaced properly due to the disjoint and is thus much harder to punish on shield.

Up-Tilt or Up+A - Lucina stabs straight up. It has good reach, a deceptively wide hitbox, quick start-up and low endlag as well low knockback and growth. Good follow up to certain DI of Dash attack, can combo into itself if opponent is not paying attention and at low percents, even if they are. It sends almost directly vertically up, but not much, and is pretty much another 50/50 DI trap.

Side-Tilt or Side + A - Lucina stabs straight ahead. Amazing reach and great spacing and poking tool, pathetic combo tool. Not enough knockback to kill, too much knockback to combo. Amazing edgeguarding tool, however (one of her only options) and it can be angled. The angle it sends at is also much more favorable for gimps than her jab, sending almost exactly horizontal (so not a true semi-spike, but stuffs a lot of recoveries well.) It would knock Ike into his dead-zone, and Falco would be boned if knocked out of his Phantasm. Similar in animation but different in function to Roy's P:M F-Tilt.

Down-Tilt or Down + A - One of Lucina's few non-disjointed moves, and one of her flashier ones. Lucina stabs Falchion into the ground and uses it as a pivot as she does a leg sweep. The endlag of the move is low in spite of the animation, and the attack pops people up for a strong follow up with Fair, USmash, Utilt, FTilt or even jab. It lacks shield stun, as much reach as her sword moves and a disjoint, however, and so is pretty unsafe on block. The move must be carefully spaced and carefully used.

Up Smash - This is an interesting, double hitting move. Lucina sweeps Falcion in an arc over her head, covering the area in front of her, above her and behind her, an arc taller and narrower than Ike's own up-smash. The move continues however, as Lucina carries her momentum into a second arc, spinning a full 360 degrees to complete the move. The first hit is a weaker pop-up that links into the second, strong hit. Up-smash is good for beating spot-dodges and the strong hit has considerable shield pushback and stun, but a poorly spaced USmash can be punished with a well-timed grab right after the weak hit. It functions as a good vertical killer at above mid percents, but at high percents the weak hit sends opponents too far out at an awkward, 45 degree angle without too much stun, letting people both DI out of and react to possible follow-ups. It's a versatile move than needs to be used only in the right instances.

Side Smash - The move that started it all. Lucina slides forward a considerable distance with Falchion in front of her and parallel to the ground, smiting her foes with probably one of the most ridiculously good side smashes in the game. Safe on shield when properly spaced, good power and amazing reach. The 45 degree angle it sends at is ideal neither for gimping nor killing, but it's a potent combo finisher and good kill move at high percents.

Down Smash - A ludicrously fast move with oddly short range. Lucina rests Falchion on her left shoulder for a moment (I'm assumig she's right-handed) then whips it down in a blisteringly fast diagonal cut, the blade striking the area in front of her leg. The move does not strike behind and thus does not punish rolls like most down-smashes; it is a close range "get off me" move than can follow a spot-dodge to punish a whiffed grab. Closer to Lucina the move knocks the opponent quite far at a 60 degree angle (too much knockback for a confirmed follow-up) but at its farthest point from Lucina, the move has a strong meteor. A properly spaced DSmash can cover a ledge sweetspot and end a recovering opponent's life very early. It is of course marvelously difficult to land.

Up Air - Think Meta Knight, or P:M Wolf, but more range. A quick move with low knockback and a wide arc above Lucina's head perfect for juggle strings. The end lag on the move is low enough to allow a waveland after a shorthop in a P:M-esque environment (so not SSB4, but just a note). Can lead into an aerial finisher if DI is followed well.

Down Air - Lucina pulls her legs up to her torso and sweeps the Falchion below her, front to back, in a mirror image of her up-air. The backwards arc of the move sends the opponent at a semi-spike angle, making Dair her best edge-guarding tool and great option for covering the ledge, as well as her best ledgedrop option to gimp low recoveries. One of her laggier moves and not too valuable on stage besides escaping the juggle combos of her enemies, it is still fast enough to allow a Lucina that jumps off the stage backwards and dairs to grab the ledge with a double jump.

Forward-Air - This is the most pathetic combo move Lucina possesses, but that's because it's her best kill option. Lucina spins around in the air once, building up momentum into a sweeping horizontal swing in front of her. The power is comparable to Ike's bair, with the hitbox reaching a little farther and the move having more start-up and so requiring better timing and commitment.

Back-Air - Lucina sweeps Falchion behind her, down to up to cover a wide arc. The move is a weak hit that pops up and continues combos, good for catching opponents that DI behind her but absolutely pathetic at edgeguarding. Ledgedrop bair may actually SAVE your opponent due to the vertical momentum you provide them.

Neutral Air - Lucina does a somersault with Falchion held out ahead of her, remeniscent of Ike's Aether. The move hits in front of her twice: Once when it begins and second when it comes back around at the end of the somersault. The second hit of the neutral air is a strong semi-spike, much like Sheik's fair in Melee. Neutral Air being one of her slower moves must be timed and spaced right. The first forward hit knocks people away and does not link into the second forward hit, but can continue some combos. Nair hits behind Lucina as well.

Up-Special - This was one I struggled with. I saw the idea elsewhere and liked it: The animation is a lot like Marth's Dolphin Slash but without the kill power in the initial frames (she doesn't need it). If she strikes an enemy, however, she does not go into special fall (maximum once per airtime, needs to land again to refresh this. A second Up-B always sends Lucina into special fall.) The initial frames also have a strong windbox, making it a good anti-pressure option, a good OoS option if you could jump out of shield and a lulzy situational edgeguarding option. Name: Galeforce.

Neutral Special - Lucina concentrates with her eyes closed, as Falchion glows held in front of her, revitalizing her as it slowly heals her. Referance to Falchion's use in-game, looooong end-lag to only really make it viable to use between stocks (though with Lucina's ability to keep opponents in the air and knock them off-stage, she probably can find enough opportunities to use it.) Rate of healing: Slow but continuous.

Side-Special - Aether. Except, not Ike's. Lucina glows bright gold as she dashes a considerable horizontal distance on the ground or in the air (about 75% melee final destination) with her sword held out, similar to her side smash. She goes into special fall at the end of this move. Additionally, it must be noted that the sword cannot sweetspot the ledge, not being her hand, and so recovering Lucina must aim for a bit above the ledge in order to grab it. This makes her more vulnerable to edgeguards.

HOWEVER. If Lucina strikes an opponent, she has a window of opportunity to press B again. This instantaneously activates the Luna hit, which involves a semi-teleport behind the person faster than the eye can follow, striking with a powerful slash that is a strong meteor. Hitting with the Luna hit also prevents special fall. This makes going out to edgeguard Lucina dangerous. Additionally, meteors have disproportionate hitstun on grounded opponents that they pop up, so Aether is actually a perfect set up for a kill move, like fair. Getting past defenses indeed. This move is also hilariously safe on block because of the Luna putting Lucina behind shielding opponents.

This just leaves grabs and taunts, which I will finish later because I am late for lunch.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
So she's apparently really wanted in Japan, along with paper mario, Shulk, Dixie, captain rainbow and such...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The reality is the Fire Emblem character fiasco has been extremely complex this time around so it's really difficult for any one character to get decent support in general. Kind of why I went to a neutral corner and would pretty much would be happy with any of the leads at this point.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The reality is the Fire Emblem character fiasco has been extremely complex this time around so it's really difficult for any one character to get decent support in general. Kind of why I went to a neutral corner and would pretty much would be happy with any of the leads at this point.
I've noticed that too. It seems like there are almost a dozen different camps routing for certain characters just in the FE department. There's Roy, Ike, Lyn, Leif, Robin, Chrom, and Lucina, each with varying levels of support yet at the same time all having some sizable fanbase.

I personally think a Chrom/Lucina tag team (Ice Climbers style mixed with Zelda/Sheik character switching) would be the best route.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I've noticed that too. It seems like there are almost a dozen different camps routing for certain characters just in the FE department. There's Roy, Ike, Lyn, Leif, Robin, Chrom, and Lucina, each with varying levels of support yet at the same time all having some sizable fanbase.

I personally think a Chrom/Lucina tag team (Ice Climbers style mixed with Zelda/Sheik character switching) would be the best route.
Why Leif, if I may ask?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
BUMP!

With Lyndis deconfirmed, Lucina is next on mine list for most wanted Fire Emblem newcomers. Like I said before, if we do get a Fire Emblem: Awakening character, I would prefer Lucina over Chrom or the Avatar. That being said, however, mine hopes are not too high.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm pretty sure it's "A European player"

since Europe has a consonant sound and not a vowel sound

A and An don't depend on if the words starts with a consonant or vowel, but what sound they make

honor, for example, would be An honor because honor makes a vowel sound
I'm sure his error was an a one time mistake.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm still rooting for Lucina over Chrom, besides Sakurai doesn't want to be predictable with adding characters to smash.

Chrom might still be more popular though.

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't remember if I've ever found this thread before but I definitely support Lucina!!

Since Tiki is deconfirmed, I want Lucina!
(I'm fine with Anna, Chrom, Micaiah, and Robin too though)

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Honestly hoping for Chrom to be playable and Lucina to be an alt skin for Marth (like the male WFT) that way you can play as both. Maybe she'd have her own unique voice for the skin too.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Honestly hoping for Chrom to be playable and Lucina to be an alt skin for Marth (like the male WFT) that way you can play as both. Maybe she'd have her own unique voice for the skin too.
That is an incredibly frustrating attitude to have. Lucina and Marth aren't that similar and their overlap was greatly exaggerated by Awakening. She merely took up the mantle of the Hero-King to inspire the survivors of Grima's onslaught to fight on - few would know what Marth actually looked like in ages gone by.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
That is an incredibly frustrating attitude to have. Lucina and Marth aren't that similar and their overlap was greatly exaggerated by Awakening. She merely took up the mantle of the Hero-King to inspire the survivors of Grima's onslaught to fight on - few would know what Marth actually looked like in ages gone by.
The problem is, that's her most well known form - wearing Marth's clothes and using Marth's sword techniques. If Lucina were a separate character, she would basically be a clone of Marth, in appearance and in moveset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom