• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Data & Analysis Thread

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
It does help! Thank you, NinjaLink.

(Post edited to remove redundant question, Shao-Tan answered it elsewhere.)

Last edited:

Kosaki

Smash Cadet
Just for your instance, the third up B does sweetspot, everytime. It doesn't sometimes in the video above because there's a delay after a ledge hop in Smash 4 during which you can't ledge snap again.
Sakurai overpreventing ledge stall here.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Just for your instance, the third up B does sweetspot, everytime. It doesn't sometimes in the video above because there's a delay after a ledge hop in Smash 4 during which you can't ledge snap again.
Sakurai overpreventing ledge stall here.
It doesnt. Theres certain up-bs that doesnt sweetspot properly. I know the rule about the ledge snap. You cant grab again for 2 seconds. I even purposely avoided the ledge to make sure. You have to be down about 3/4 of the full distance of up-b to sweetspot. Otherwise it goes right past.

Kosaki

Smash Cadet
It doesnt. Theres certain up-bs that doesnt sweetspot properly. I know the rule about the ledge snap. You cant grab again for 2 seconds. I even purposely avoided the ledge to make sure. You have to be down about 3/4 of the full distance of up-b to sweetspot. Otherwise it goes right past.

Ok, my bad then. :q

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
This thread is a little bit dead :p I have decided to save it by asking if a combo from Brawl for Marth works for Lucina in this game. Okay so: Does the first hit of nair into usmash work? Remember, ONLY THE FIRST HIT of nair, not both hits. Also, does fthrow into nair work?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
First combo works according to shaya. Second one i will say no.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but when :4lucina: beats :4marth: or :4myfriends:, she special win quotes.
When she beats :4marth:: "THIS is the Hero King?"
When she beats :4myfriends:: "And they called YOU the Radiant Hero?"
Looks like someone (:4robinm:) has been rubbing off on her.

Last edited:

ZSel

Smash Rookie
This thread is a little bit dead :p I have decided to save it by asking if a combo from Brawl for Marth works for Lucina in this game. Okay so: Does the first hit of nair into usmash work? Remember, ONLY THE FIRST HIT of nair, not both hits. Also, does fthrow into nair work?
Just tested those and ye both of them work.
I even tried to go with a 80% damage and still worked.

First of all when I say that it works, it's because I went to solo training mode and tried it. The combo meter on the top-left of the screen displayed 2 and in general that's a 100% combo. Except for vectoring, but I'll talk about it when I think it could have an influence.
- For the first hit nair it does work pretty well even with high percentages, but the think is that placing a nair that will only hit with the first hit can be hard and it doesn't work on small characters (tested it on pikmin and he was too small to get the first hit) maybe if they are jumping.. You'll need a char like link or something like that to count on it imo.
- For the fthrow + nair it does work too (pretty well on low percents), but I think that arround 30%+ dmg they'll be able to vector hit. I don't know really well if the vector is influenced by the power of the hit or the current damage of the character. Fthrow + fair work aswell. And maybe bair if you have a cstick and are pretty fast to do it.
And now for your last question (if I'm right about it x) ) Does fthrow+nair+up smash work ? I'd say no, because the fthrow will mainly depend of the vector as I said (if your opponent is 50%) and secondly because it's quite too hard to hit with the first hit of the nair only after your fthrow. His nair is really quickly executed. Maybe you can but personally with this joystick .. just bleh.

While we're talking about combos that work I managed to place fair + side b (sword dance) quite often on players. Even if the combo meter in training mode isn't "accepting" it I'd suggest anyone to try it. Also tried that with first hit of nair. So nair (first hit) + side b and it worked (still for me not the combo meter). The speed of that combo was (for me) not dodge able so I'm quite angry with that combo meter that I think is trolling me.
Tried upair + upsmash and worked too (for the combo meter and me) at low percents. After that I tried upair + uptilt and that combo meter displayed me 2 so it worked. Then finally I tried upair + uptilt + up smash and worked for me but that ****** combo meter displayed 2. The upair + uptilt displayed 2 and when I did the upsmash the number was still 2. So here I come to the conclusion that this combo meter is sometimes buggy and that what seems you working on a character can definetly work even if that combo meter says you no.
So nair first hit/upair + uptilt + up smash works (with low percents). In generaly first hit of nair and upair will give you the same result and allow you to do the same next move (uptilt, upsmash, sideb ..)
All of these works with very low percents sadly. With an high percent opponent you'll aim for something that conduct to a smash quickly like first hit nair + up smash (upair doesn't work here coz nair (first hit) don't care about the damage of the opponent and upair yes :) ).

Also another thing while I'm writing this. It's more something general, but that work pretty well with Lucina. So in smash 4 3ds when you grab the edge of a stage for the first time you'll have a smally time to wait before being able to moving out from it (like 1 sec). When you drop the edge and grab it again you'll have less time to wait. To reset that time you'll need to touch the ground.
So here it come the thing I tested and that work quite well. When you eject someone and that this guy will have to do a recovery by grabbing the edge (which is not all the time) you can grab the edge - drop it - and at the moment the guy will grab the edge you do a fast up-b. In Smash 4 when you grab the edge with someone on it that guy will be ejected on the left / right (depending on which side you are). SO, as you grabbed the edge before that guy while waiting him to recover you'll be able to eject him and getting out quite fast (since you grabbed it already and not him) and being able to do a bair! Or dair, but I still don't know the sweet spot for the meteor and the bair is rly strong and fast on Lucina.
Edit : Of course you could just bair when he's trying to recovering, but well it's swag and it may be something that works better against specific chars (Basically it's just an idea (that may already exist and super known in this case nvm -_-) only wanted to say it in case of..

Not sure I explained that well and with my bad english it could be even worse to understand what I mean x). Alright you know all the things I discovered on Lucina since yesterday (when I got the game). Sorry if I told something already known and making you lose your time :/.

Hope it helps not sure..

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So if Lucina only deals around 1-2% when Marth doesn't get a tipper hit, may I ask how much more damage Marth deals than her when he does get tipper hits?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Still only 1-2% more? Seriously? If that's the case, I'm even more disappointed now.

Sighs... unless there's some undiscovered glitch or something that affects one of them exclusively, I really hope Nintendo does get around to balance patches... I don't particularly mind clones in FGs, but it looks to me like these two are gonna be too similar even in gameplay. I

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
While we're talking about combos that work I managed to place fair + side b (sword dance) quite often on players. Even if the combo meter in training mode isn't "accepting" it I'd suggest anyone to try it. Also tried that with first hit of nair. So nair (first hit) + side b and it worked (still for me not the combo meter). The speed of that combo was (for me) not dodge able so I'm quite angry with that combo meter that I think is trolling me.
Do they leave the ground at all from the Fair? I...don't think they do, but I might be wrong. What it might be telling you is there's a window to raise shield in there, and the people you've played against just haven't bothered to try and react correctly. I have a feeling that vectoring will mess with it some too, sadly.

If the latter isn't the case, then it's definitely something worth noting.

I don't particularly mind clones in FGs, but it looks to me like these two are gonna be too similar even in gameplay.
It'll be interesting to see. Even with this seemingly small change, there could be a lot of differences in how you optimally play them. I know Shaya's mentioned what seem to be major inconsistencies in Marth's Dancing Blade due to random tippers. Lucina being a little shorter gives her fewer options on Battlefield when her opponent is on a platform above her. It's small, but it still matters. If there ends up being a lot of other small things like that, the difference will be pretty great.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Just tested those and ye both of them work.
I even tried to go with a 80% damage and still worked.

First of all when I say that it works, it's because I went to solo training mode and tried it. The combo meter on the top-left of the screen displayed 2 and in general that's a 100% combo. Except for vectoring, but I'll talk about it when I think it could have an influence.
- For the first hit nair it does work pretty well even with high percentages, but the think is that placing a nair that will only hit with the first hit can be hard and it doesn't work on small characters (tested it on pikmin and he was too small to get the first hit) maybe if they are jumping.. You'll need a char like link or something like that to count on it imo.
- For the fthrow + nair it does work too (pretty well on low percents), but I think that arround 30%+ dmg they'll be able to vector hit. I don't know really well if the vector is influenced by the power of the hit or the current damage of the character. Fthrow + fair work aswell. And maybe bair if you have a cstick and are pretty fast to do it.
And now for your last question (if I'm right about it x) ) Does fthrow+nair+up smash work ? I'd say no, because the fthrow will mainly depend of the vector as I said (if your opponent is 50%) and secondly because it's quite too hard to hit with the first hit of the nair only after your fthrow. His nair is really quickly executed. Maybe you can but personally with this joystick .. just bleh.

Tried upair + upsmash and worked too (for the combo meter and me) at low percents. After that I tried upair + uptilt and that combo meter displayed me 2 so it worked. Then finally I tried upair + uptilt + up smash and worked for me but that ****** combo meter displayed 2. The upair + uptilt displayed 2 and when I did the upsmash the number was still 2. So here I come to the conclusion that this combo meter is sometimes buggy and that what seems you working on a character can definetly work even if that combo meter says you no.
So nair first hit/upair + uptilt + up smash works (with low percents). In generaly first hit of nair and upair will give you the same result and allow you to do the same next move (uptilt, upsmash, sideb ..)
All of these works with very low percents sadly. With an high percent opponent you'll aim for something that conduct to a smash quickly like first hit nair + up smash (upair doesn't work here coz nair (first hit) don't care about the damage of the opponent and upair yes :) ).

Also another thing while I'm writing this. It's more something general, but that work pretty well with Lucina. So in smash 4 3ds when you grab the edge of a stage for the first time you'll have a smally time to wait before being able to moving out from it (like 1 sec). When you drop the edge and grab it again you'll have less time to wait. To reset that time you'll need to touch the ground.
So here it come the thing I tested and that work quite well. When you eject someone and that this guy will have to do a recovery by grabbing the edge (which is not all the time) you can grab the edge - drop it - and at the moment the guy will grab the edge you do a fast up-b. In Smash 4 when you grab the edge with someone on it that guy will be ejected on the left / right (depending on which side you are). SO, as you grabbed the edge before that guy while waiting him to recover you'll be able to eject him and getting out quite fast (since you grabbed it already and not him) and being able to do a bair! Or dair, but I still don't know the sweet spot for the meteor and the bair is rly strong and fast on Lucina.
Edit : Of course you could just bair when he's trying to recovering, but well it's swag and it may be something that works better against specific chars (Basically it's just an idea (that may already exist and super known in this case nvm -_-) only wanted to say it in case of..

Not sure I explained that well and with my bad english it could be even worse to understand what I mean x). Alright you know all the things I discovered on Lucina since yesterday (when I got the game). Sorry if I told something already known and making you lose your time :/.

Hope it helps not sure..
Whoah man thanks. Didn't really think that fthrow into first hit of nair into usmash was going to be a combo in the first place though, just asking if fthrow into nair worked since it was a old Brawl Marth combo XD But yeah man ONLY 20 MORE MINUTES MY BODY IS READY

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but when :4lucina: beats :4marth: or :4myfriends:, she special win quotes.
When she beats :4marth:: "THIS is the Hero King?"
When she beats :4myfriends:: "And they called YOU the Radiant Hero?"
Looks like someone (:4robinm:) has been rubbing off on her.
Lucina > Marth and Ike confirmed

Bageloid

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0001-3871-0578
I got Smash 4 today and I noticed that Lucina's Dancing Blade doesn't give much horizontal recovery if at all. Was it removed on purpose? Is there anything to replace it?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I got Smash 4 today and I noticed that Lucina's Dancing Blade doesn't give much horizontal recovery if at all. Was it removed on purpose? Is there anything to replace it?
Shield Breaker provides horizontal recovery. I don't know how much though, since I noticed when using it that it wasn't as great as it used to be...either that or my momentum was nutso in the other direction. That could have been it.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
as far as I know Dancing Blade for recovery was removed/heavily reduced from Marth in Brawl (and added back in PM - getting used to not having it again has cost me a few online games). Standard Shield Breaker doesn't do a whole lot either, for horizontal recovery you want Shield Breaker custom move 3 (can't remember what it's called).

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You wont get punished if you use it the right way.

Now getting read is something else entirely.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Sad to see not much action going on here. I am just here to say that playing feels so nice to me.

Lucina will be one of my mains!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Wow her dair is laggy.

I'm trying to do the fair into dancing blade combo mentioned above but even at zero they're going to far and the recovery seems kinda long (admittedly, these controls are taking some getting used to).

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Wow her dair is laggy.

I'm trying to do the fair into dancing blade combo mentioned above but even at zero they're going to far and the recovery seems kinda long (admittedly, these controls are taking some getting used to).
Marths Dair in Brawl was laggy, same here. Melee's dair is the only not year lag dair.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Not aimed at anyone in particular but just a friendly reminder that if you're not posting about Lucina's moves or gameplay, the Lucina Social/General thread is this way: http://smashboards.com/threads/general-social-lucina-thread-sakurai-aint-no-copycat.335262/

Also give our Marth & Lucina gameplay coalition thread some love too as it also benefits Marth players as well since we're more or less the same character and one big happy royal family.

I'll be plugging in some missing info in the OP at a later date. It's been a very chaotic week for me so I apologize for not getting everything done prior to release.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Not aimed at anyone in particular but just a friendly reminder that if you're not posting about Lucina's moves or gameplay, the Lucina Social/General thread is this way: http://smashboards.com/threads/general-social-lucina-thread-sakurai-aint-no-copycat.335262/

Also give our Marth & Lucina gameplay coalition thread some love too as it also benefits Marth players as well since we're more or less the same character and one big happy royal family.

I'll be plugging in some missing info in the OP at a later date. It's been a very chaotic week for me so I apologize for not getting everything done prior to release.
Its all right man take your time. This thread is really interesting. My game should be in the mail today and I will be sure to be posting a lot of info about Lucina here :chuckle:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
simple shorthop into a shieldbreaker seems to work fairly well into close to medium distance enemies. not groundbreaking or anything, just something i was trying

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Don't know if this has been brought up at all so my apologies if I say something that's already been said but I just did some testing on Battlefield (since I can imagine that will be a commonly picked stage especially for Lucina players) and Lucina can reach someone on the lower platforms from below with her ftilt, utilt, usmash and barely her fsmash and jab with at least ROB. The fsmash and jab won't hit Ganon so it's character specific (might even be ROB specific). I tested the same moves with Marth and he can rather easily reach with the fsmash and jab which means Lucina has less range since her jab/fsmash barely reachs. Oh and her Dolphin Slash can get her to the top platform.

Not sure what all stages will be legal aside from FD and BF and since FD has no platform games I'm not gonna bother testing there. I can try to get some footage to show how specific Lucina has to be to hit ROB.

Edit: Tested the fsmash and jab on Bowser and it didn't work but it did work on Jigglypuff but only when she is on the ground (that little hop in her idle animation is enough to avoid both moves). Both of these could be very useful since fsmash is our go to kill move and when jab knocks an opponent off the platform they go into tumble which could allow a follow up if they don't respond fast enough.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Don't know if this has been brought up at all so my apologies if I say something that's already been said but I just did some testing on Battlefield (since I can imagine that will be a commonly picked stage especially for Lucina players) and Lucina can reach someone on the lower platforms from below with her ftilt, utilt, usmash and barely her fsmash and jab with at least ROB. The fsmash and jab won't hit Ganon so it's character specific (might even be ROB specific). I tested the same moves with Marth and he can rather easily reach with the fsmash and jab which means Lucina has less range since her jab/fsmash barely reachs. Oh and her Dolphin Slash can get her to the top platform.

Not sure what all stages will be legal aside from FD and BF and since FD has no platform games I'm not gonna bother testing there. I can try to get some footage to show how specific Lucina has to be to hit ROB.

Edit: Tested the fsmash and jab on Bowser and it didn't work but it did work on Jigglypuff but only when she is on the ground (that little hop in her idle animation is enough to avoid both moves). Both of these could be very useful since fsmash is our go to kill move and when jab knocks an opponent off the platform they go into tumble which could allow a follow up if they don't respond fast enough.
Yeah, Lucina is shorter than Marth so her vertical reach is slightly lower than Marth but since she's smaller she won't be as easy to hit herself. Their horizontal reach seemed identical from what I tested. Great info, Krysco!

As for stages, it seems like TOs are looking at FD, BF, YI, and Prism Tower as the neutrals. One of my local TOs considers Arena Ferox neutral which makes sense as Chain Grabs are gone so small walls are pretty fine.

Beast Boy

Smash Rookie
Do any of you guys know if there are any combinations of Dancing Blade that are better then the side Dancing Blade? Like Down to Up to Side or something like that.
I've found up dancing blade to be the best. It's a lot easier to combo the up hits than it is the side hits so it's much more consistent. The forwards dancing blade is good for catching enemies that are trying to retreat from you. I'm finding the downwards dancing blade to be extremely hard to combo though and haven't found any real applications for it yet.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It should have been assumed that it would be the case, since Marth did it in previous games. So I do not know if this has been mentioned. However, I tested it out today and Lucina's Fair does cancel Link's arrows, both uncharged and charged.

Testing parameters:

• Link uncharged arrow, close range.
  • Link charged arrow, close range.
  • Link uncharged arrow, far away.
  • Link charged arrow, far away. I could not get this one tested, but unless you guys want to test, it should be safe to assume that Fair does cancel it.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
2 cents : Taking the Lunge Breaker and the Up-B with no sweet-spot to maximize Lucina's recovery potential is probably your best bet; helps you go a lot deeper for edge-guards and still get back. Then I'd stick with the regular counter and take Combo Side-B cuz stale queue shenanigans.

Top Bottom