• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
3) Or since she doesn't have a tipper, it would mean that her style wouldn't need to worry about where her opponent is hit nearly as much as Marth, who wants to keep them at a distance. Her style could be quicker and more aggressive while Marth focuses more on spacing and punishing in order to get those strong tipper hits in. And so she may indeed be faster than Marth (or at least in the air)
I really, really hope that is the case.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Marth: http://youtu.be/e0ej06eP_uY?t=1m17s

Lucina: http://youtu.be/MW6TpZPYd58?t=1m59s

It looks like Marth and Lucina both appear to have very little landing lag on Nair, this makes sense because Sakurai did state that their attributes were identical. He did say she was a little faster, but that could be referring to movement speed. I'm pretty sure what's happening here is that they are both entering landing lag and completing the full landing lag animation, since it's possible for landing lag to be different for each move hence how Bowser generally might have more lag when landing during an aerial than a character like Luigi or Yoshi. In Brawl, for example, there were even some moves with landing lag so short that you'd probably miss it if you weren't looking for it, such as Wolf's back-air. There may not be any aerials like that in this build but there are indeed some aerials with very little lag where you're able to follow up after a hit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjbNBMOuNvE#t=50 Here's one good example.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryoKOZuyrU Here's another.

Even Bowser's Nair, despite not having the quickest ending when landing, still appears to have at least some potental for jump-ins and set-up http://youtu.be/OD_ZnB8yJuA?t=16s I realize that Samus did manage to start-up her Fair here but it started up about the same time as he started jabbing, which means that if he was negative in this situation that it was very negligible, or his advantage was actually 0 meaning they both can act at the same time. He may not get any true combos but at least now he might have the potential for some good strings.

It may just be because I wasn't there myself, but it seems less like landing lag went up for everyone and more like the landing lag was just increased for certain moves with certain characters. It seems like a fair change to me, since it balances out the level of commitment players are making when using aerials as opposed to just being able to create a wall because of there being little or no lag and very small punishment windows overall. Some characters may still commit less than others but it'd probably be more balanced in general and even then, they would likely make up for it in other areas.

Hope this helped in some way!

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
the main thing that no tipper means to me is that you can throw caution to the wind and go totally aggressive, something that marth couldn't do.
This is what I'm looking forward to most. :) I've never been especially fond of spacing playstyles; rushing down opponents is just more fun for me. :p

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
The interview with Sakurai is pretty solid proof of her clone status. There are slight difference in build and sword power which is why she ended up getting a slot, but so far all the footage she has been shown in point to her clone status. Unless Sakurai later goes back on his word and was trolling us all along, Lucina is most certainly a clone of Marth. I'm still glad to have her in though.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
This is what I'm looking forward to most. :) I've never been especially fond of spacing playstyles; rushing down opponents is just more fun for me. :p
Aggression ftw. <3
I know right! People keep complaining about how all sakurai did was change the sword, but that small change results in a totally different style, I for one love the idea of being able to use marth's moveset to chase opponents down!

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Personally, Lucina I'd be more likely to use than Marth, even as a Clone/semi-clone. The fact that her damage is uniform throughout the blade mean you have a guaranteed amount of damage no matter where and how you hit your opponent. This means it'll be harder for people to counter Lucina since with Marth all you have to do is avoid the Tip of his blade to avoid a good percentage of his damage. I could be wrong about this, and yes good Marth players may still do well, but I think Lucina will be very playable.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I know right! People keep complaining about how all sakurai did was change the sword, but that small change results in a totally different style, I for one love the idea of being able to use marth's moveset to chase opponents down!
Yeah. :) The issue, I guess, is that her description as "a shorter Marth with no tipper", which a lot of people tend to go by, really downplays the effect that the tipper change will have on her playstyle. I mean, we can't say for certain just how big a difference it will make, but when you consider that the damage, knockback, combo potential and kill percentages on every one of her abilities will change as a result, it's easier to see her potential as a character with a different playstyle to that of Marth. :) There are also other attributes, such as weight, speed and the like, that may be different and that would further change up how she's played. I personally can't wait to try her out firsthand. :)

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
No, Luigi is a semi-clone. Ganondorf has the same Down B and Uptilt, and even the same properties/stats. Ganondorf is the only actual clone in the series right now, including Lucina, as she already has different properties in her attacks themselves. As such, she is a semi-clone.
This doesn't make anysense. First off all, Ganondorf has the smash attacks as CF, but his uptilt is not the same as CF's. Luigi also has Mario's B, Up B, UpSmash, DownSmash, grabs, etc. May not be the same stats but its the same moveset.

Ganondorf is a semi-clone as well. And Ganondorf's Down B and UpSmash are stronger than CF's...

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Sakurai himself said that lucina is a clone. That in itself is good enough for me to say she's a clone.

Last edited:

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
Well, it's not something that needs to be done a lot. The hilt doesn't take nearly the sort of beating the blade does. Heck, it took Lucina's blade something like ten years of constant use against Risen to need to be tuned up, didn't it?
Really? Well, that's something. But still, it's amazing as to how it changed over the years. Though, anyway putting that aside, I wonder how this will effect her in the game. Should she be between Marth and Ike in terms of power? Or is it something else?

P.J.☆

Smash Rookie
Idk why everyone's saying they're both girly looking. They both look like boys to me.:psycho:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Those two don't look similar in any way. One is a guy while the other is a woman with long hair. You do the math.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I really don't think this is going to be a problem at all when the game goes live. Just from what we've seen, I'm thinking there's going to be a pretty big difference in playstyle.

Marth is the sniper who plays the spacing game and hits you with powerful tippers.

Lucina is the one who constantly gets in your face and wrecks your stuff.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Owain actually does some repair work on the hilt in his Support with Lucina, as she's complaining about her fighting being "off" slightly. He also points out that the blade itself is the only eternal part of the blade, while where the blade meets the hand, the hilt, is a meeting of mortal and immortal parts.
And Captain Falcon just pushed it aside like it was nothing.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The spectral sword trails and voice clips will differ, and Lucina's outfit is more blue. Marth has the black and yellow breastplate, now. Marth has brown, laced-up boots, while Lucina has blue thigh-high boots with cuffs. The swords look different. And finally, whether Lucina has her long hair down or is wearing the mask, her head will look different no matter what.

I think people will manage just fine.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Quite frankly, I wonder how Lucina would look in Marth's ACTUAL FE11-12 attire.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
They do look similar.

I honestly though Lucina would be an Alt, like Female Robin.

But you can tell them apart easily though. Longer hair, the fact that she's a girl... i'll leave the rest to your imagination

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Quite frankly, I wonder how Lucina would look in Marth's ACTUAL FE11-12 attire.
And now someone is going to make a picture of Marth with Lucina's head thanks to this comments. And Maybe Vice versa.

I don't think it'll be that confusing to tell the two apart. You should be more worried when there are two or more of one of them.

Tenguman

Smash Rookie
Sakurai intented lucina to be a marth alt costume like the wii fit trainer male/female. i think they put in lucina over a unique character like chrom is because it's easier to copy/paste and make a few changes and because she is a girl. and you know how vocal that group has been lately with "muh female characters"

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
This post here contains a translation of a column by Sakurai:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

"I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical."

This still doesn't clarify much definitively, but I don't think there'll be many noticeable differences in the rest of their kit.
This also kinda confirms that Lucina won't be faster then Marth, ans he won't be faster then her. Which kinda makes me sad. I wanted Lucina to be faster.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
That's why it annoys me that he's still a semi-clone. Falcon's flamboyant moveset and personality does not match Ganondorf. It makes the King of Evil seem like a joke.

Another thing that annoys me is Wolf and Falco having Landmasters when neither character would ever use them over their aerial alternative (and Wolf doesn't even HAVE one). Yes PK Starstorm is also not Ness or Lucas' attack, but at least its BELIEVABLE that they could learn/use it. And its a unique attack idea (although Ness should have PSI Rockin' instead). I just hope these modifications are made in light of clones being considered acceptable practice.
This is all true... that's why I hope Sakurai doesn't mess things up.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sakurai intented lucina to be a marth alt costume like the wii fit trainer male/female. i think they put in lucina over a unique character like chrom is because it's easier to copy/paste and make a few changes and because she is a girl. and you know how vocal that group has been lately with "muh female characters"
But, as you said, she was intended to be an alternate costume of Marth, but then he changed his mind. The thing is that making Lucina her own character was a move that could bring another character into the mix, please fans, and be timely all at the same time. You can't argue that Lucina really got in over Chrom, unless you're arguing that Chrom would have been a clone, too. A unique Chrom character could not have been made in the same time that Lucina was made.

Chrom was not in competition with Lucina, he was in competition with Robin, and this is indicated by Sakurai.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I might've said this before, but the up air animation for Lucy looks kinda different than Marth's (from trailer). She kinda looks like the Brawl hack Lucina, minus the stabbing fsmash. Her Dancing blade doesn't have colored trails, so this is an aesthetic difference. It looks gold in her down combo.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I thought she was faster, not tipper, Marth! :O
"Faster" has been neither implied by Sakurai nor observed in actual footage; it's just something people seem to have concluded from her running in the trailer and Sakurai saying she was slightly shorter than Marth... :p

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
"Faster" has been neither implied by Sakurai nor observed in actual footage; it's just something people seem to have concluded from her running in the trailer and Sakurai saying she was slightly shorter than Marth... :p
Oh well it would be nice to have her faster :D

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
But remember he says ALMOST which means she cold still be slightly faster
Now my hopes are up again :3 I don't know too much about how/if Marth has changed, but I played as him in the best buy event and I didn't notice too much, but to be fair I wasn't really looking for anything

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Now my hopes are up again :3 I don't know too much about how/if Marth has changed, but I played as him in the best buy event and I didn't notice too much, but to be fair I wasn't really looking for anything
Apparently he has more lag on his aerials but that's all I've really heard and judging by the trailer lucina appears to have less meaning she could be more aerial focused

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Apparently he has more lag on his aerials but that's all I've really heard and judging by the trailer lucina appears to have less meaning she could be more aerial focused
I see Lucina doing well well n aerials. Her up b had pretty much no landing lag, and she seemed to swipe more distance then Marth with her a air

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I hope she inherits Marth's grab range as well.
why is this a spoiler

Being his descendant, of course Lucina would inherit that :p

Unless Sakurai decides otherwise.

And this discussion has me thinking: If Lucina is theoretically better in the air, wouldn't that make her a less mobile Meta Knight to contrast Marth's apparent Little Mac style nerfs? HEY SOMETHING DIFFERENT SHE'S NOT A CARBON COPY CLONE GUISE

I know it sounds crazy, but I can't get the idea out of my head, thanks ya jerks :4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom