• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
We don't know yet. Hopefully we will have all of our questions answered the first time she is shown in a match.
I want a 3ds demo.... it's never going to happen, ans I doubt we're getting anymore demos but the things we could learn with a 3ds demo :3

Edit: By 3ds demo I mean a downloadable demo that you can play at home, the ones that have a certain amount of uses. :p

Last edited:

MasterRyan1595

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3625-8186-3222
I want a 3ds demo.... it's never going to happen, ans I doubt we're getting anymore demos but the things we could learn with a 3ds demo :3
Comic-Con got a 3DS demo to special people who got selected, so we know that Nintendo could release one. The chances are slim but who knows. They simplest way to answer our questions would be a Nintendo Direct sometime this month. *crosses fingers*

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Comic-Con got a 3DS demo to special people who got selected, so we know that Nintendo could release one. The chances are slim but who knows. They simplest way to answer our questions would be a Nintendo Direct sometime this month. *crosses fingers*
But would Lucina and Robin be in it? Probably not xD That's all that matters to me. I think it had only been two weeks since Robin and Lucina were revealed when Comic Con came around. I don't know, maybe they would be, I don't know how long it would take.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Really? o.o

I knew that the whole hashtag (#BringMeSmash) was that Nintendo's employees went where you were with a 3ds and the e3 demo...

I don't think that we get a demo but it's a month to the japanese release, so 30 days to see footage of Lucina's gameplay

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I dunno if this has been mentioned before but, Lucina's sword is shorter in gameplay than in her artwork, kinda interesting.
Note the handle:
View attachment 18344
Huh, great find. I've always found it odd that the sword looks so big in her official portrait and wondered how she even was able to swing it. It makes a bit more sense now that I see her ingame model has been adjusted to make the sword smaller. Neat.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Not just that, but Marth's attacks(Forward Smash)is noted to be SLOWER than his past Smash versions. I don't want to be off-topic for this but since Marth has been my main in both Brawl and Melee, I have noticed differences in his attacks. It's possible he got a power buff(in a PotD statement from Sakurai describing Neutral B)while getting a speed nerf.

I did start getting the belief that Lucina would be the "old" Marth mechanic-wise til Sakurai said she lacks the sword tip trait.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Where would a Lucina!Morgan have it? Would it be in her eye?
Or on her palm kinda like Robin's Mark of Grima?
One in each eye.

I think Lucina will be different enough to warrant a spare slot. I think she'll have a different style and different players maiming her. No idea how far the changes may go, though.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Lucina will be different enough to warrant a spare slot. I think she'll have a different style and different players maiming her. No idea how far the changes may go, though.
My brother, himself a veteran Marth player, jokingly refers to her as "casual Marth". I'm actually okay with hthat, seeing as I've always wanted to get into Marth's fighting style, but never really got the hang of it. Lucina seems like she'll be a more open-ended, user friendly alternative to the King himself. She sounds more balanced overall (blade's power is universal as opposed to being borne in the tip, moderately shorter and less robust) and I'm sure we'll see some sutble alterations to her moveset to reflect that and give players a reason to choose Lucina over Marth as they feel so inclined.

There's also the option to put on her mask mid-battle. That got me all sorts of eagerly hype.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
There's parts of the Lucina differences a lot of people miss out on.

Most just say she's casual :4marth: with no tipper. That's wrong.

1) Her blade does lack the tipper for super-rewarded zoning.
2) It has an evenly balanced power so she can be more aggressive and close than Marth without being feeble in power.
3) She's noticeably faster on the ground, Marth in this engine seems a bit slower than normal.
4) She has almost no ending lag on her N-air. Presumably this is transfered to her other aerials.
5) We have barely any footage to try to be making this guesses off of.

Based off of what was seen, here's my theory.

While they share a MOVESET, their PLAYSTYLES are going to be drastically different. Lucina will have a much stronger chasing and air game. Also, she can be more close-quarters than Marth could. She just lakcs some of the raw kill power that some Tipper hitboxes have.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Perhaps I jumped the gun when I said "casual Marth". You're right, I have faith that her playstyle will be a totally separate paradigm than Marth's. I actually much prefer agility and airgame over raw power and complexity; my wee brother's the exact opposite, so it should make for some interesting match-ups! ^_^

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think your definition of "clone" and the general Smash community's definition of "clone" are two different things.

She does have those "subtle differences," that make her her own character - when we say Lucina is a clone we don't mean she is a 1:1 carbon copy of everything that Marth is and does. What a "clone" is to the general Smash community is a character who shares the same moveset with another character, but has different properties - be they tied to the character's physical stats, or the properties of the moves themselves. She is confirmed to have the same moveset as Marth - posted by Sakurai on Miiverse, in an interview, and from all of the scans/videos we've seen of her so far. So yes, she is a "clone," character - but that doesn't mean she isn't her own character - her attacks will still likely have different properties (knockback, %, speed, lag, etc. etc.) and she notably does not have the tip sweetspot. She's also confirmed to be shorter, which could affect her hitboxes and other subtle - but important - things. She may also have different physical properties such as speed and weight, but he did say they were "almost identical" in that regard, so any difference there would likely be pretty minor.

So yes, Lucina is absolutely a "clone" character in Smash terminology, but don't take that as us saying she is the SAME character as Marth.

This is exactly what needed to be said. There seems to be a difference in the definition of a clone amongst those who say she is and she isnt a clone. The reason i don't like clones is because i feel as if they don't add anything new to the game. much like anime series will sometimes use the same footage over and over just to add more visuals, there is a term for that but i forgot what its called. Anyhow, a clone does not add any appeal to the game for me, it actually makes me worried that one of the 2 similar characters will be neglected over another that might be looked at as "better"

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
This is exactly what needed to be said. There seems to be a difference in the definition of a clone amongst those who say she is and she isnt a clone. The reason i don't like clones is because i feel as if they don't add anything new to the game. much like anime series will sometimes use the same footage over and over just to add more visuals, there is a term for that but i forgot what its called. Anyhow, a clone does not add any appeal to the game for me, it actually makes me worried that one of the 2 similar characters will be neglected over another that might be looked at as "better"
Lucina's just lucky to be in at all, and I'm glad she is even as a clone. Meanwhile I'm going to go back to lamenting Flacondorf when we should've gotten something awesome like Mulletdorf.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Clone or not, I don't think it was right of the Sak to dumb down Marth just for her sake. Now I'll never be able to perform "Ken combos".

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Clone or not, I don't think it was right of the Sak to dumb down Marth just for her sake. Now I'll never be able to perform "Ken combos".
I think it's slightly unfair to say he's "dumbed down", and it's certainly not "just for her sake".

As far as I'm concerned, Marth is more akin to Roy in Melee: a slower, stronger character for players (like my brother) who like tactical play and being rewarded for learning how to "git gud" as more complex fighters.

Lucina is more akin to Marth in Melee: a quicker, simpler character for players (like myself) who like accesible, engaging play that is instantly fun and universally applicable.

And, to be fair, I actually like Marth and Lucina equally. LuLu just happens to fit my playing style better. ;3

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think it's slightly unfair to say he's "dumbed down", and it's certainly not "just for her sake".

As far as I'm concerned, Marth is more akin to Roy in Melee: a slower, stronger character for players (like my brother) who like tactical play and being rewarded for learning how to "git gud" as more complex fighters.

Lucina is more akin to Marth in Melee: a quicker, simpler character for players (like myself) who like accesible, engaging play that is instantly fun and universally applicable.

And, to be fair, I actually like Marth and Lucina equally. LuLu just happens to fit my playing style better. ;3
I really wish they would make more fight scenes like they did with link and pit in the palutena trailer. Link kicked pit's ass xD.
We need some more fights like that.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93

Nah, they dumbed him down. His aerial game is garbage while Lucina takes after his Melee/Brawl playstyle. I'm sure they did it as an excuse to not making them exactly identical and to give Lucina her own character slot.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nah, they dumbed him down. His aerial game is garbage while Lucina takes after his Melee/Brawl playstyle. I'm sure they did it as an excuse to not making them exactly identical and to give Lucina her own character slot.
Fair enough. I for one welcome the change and look forward to see how the King will fare against his younger progeny. ^_^

Each to their own, my friend, each to their own.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Fair enough. I for one welcome the change and look forward to see how the King will fare against his younger progeny. ^_^

Each to their own, my friend, each to their own.
Double Fair = good one

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'll assume the OP is grudging over Lucina being a Marth clone.

DAVEYHAVOK

Smash Rookie
I don't have any grudges.... i love lucina... i just thought it was interesting that her moveset was essentially created over a decade ago. This shows how the community is garbage now

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
That's just a tad silly to say. The community isn't garbage. This thread might be. -Shrug-

It's not a big deal.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I don't have any grudges.... i love lucina... i just thought it was interesting that her moveset was essentially created over a decade ago. This shows how the community is garbage now
How is it the community's fault? I was once also frustrated that Lucina doesn't have an original model/moveset especially with Brawl import mods that make her a unique fighter, but this is what I call, delusion by hype.

Hype a game and it's characters/features too much, and it will be dead on arrival. You likely forgotten how Sakurai works and you should not have so much faith in his ability on bringing over unique fighters, especially from the Fire Emblem games.

Does anyone have a log of Sakurai's reply to the fan question of Chrom not being in the roster? It does explain that he originally meant to have Lucina as an alt of Marth, but he does like his clones apparently.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
How is it the community's fault? I was once also frustrated that Lucina doesn't have an original model/moveset especially with Brawl import mods that make her a unique fighter, but this is what I call, delusion by hype.

Hype a game and it's characters/features too much, and it will be dead on arrival. You likely forgotten how Sakurai works and you should not have so much faith in his ability on bringing over unique fighters, especially from the Fire Emblem games.

Does anyone have a log of Sakurai's reply to the fan question of Chrom not being in the roster? It does explain that he originally meant to have Lucina as an alt of Marth, but he does like his clones apparently.
But Ike's unique! :(

Robin too, I guess, since Robin's a spell-sword than a straight-up mage or swordsman.

Shame Hector - axe -, Ephraim - spear -, Eirika - she's a fencer! -, Lyn - katana -, Micaiah - mage -, and Gregor - GREGOR SMASH! :laugh: - didn't make it in. I guess the issue is that like Mother/Earthbound where the main characters are similar to each other in combat, the main characters - the lords - are usually swordsmen and there's tons of them and only so much you can do. At least Ike uses a two-handed sword with a simple and brutal style as it was noted in his games. Everyone else would just be the sword-wielder that's apparently taboo in SSB. I mean, come on, Shulk's got a laser-sword-thingie, Eirika would be using rapiers or sabers, and Lyn has a katana. Heck, Toon Ganon would be dual-wielding, Ganondorf would have another giant sword, and Zelda could use a rapier as well if her appearance was based on Twilight Princess or Hyrule Warriors.

Still, I wished Lucina at least had her battle stance from Awakening.

Last edited:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Lucina's moveset was not created 14 years ago. It was created thousands of years ago, in Akaneia, by a master swordsman named Marth. She recognized that though time may pass, the might of the Hero King had not diminished, and so she strove to fight like him. She is proud of that heritage. As you should be.

Now mods, lock this sorry excuse for a thread.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
So with all the streamers playing smash 4, I haven't seen anyone play lucina yet. Still trying to did any information on if she is going to be good or a bad character, anyone have anything on her?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To my knowledge there hasn't been major Lucina gameplay since everyone was focused on debunking the roster.

So unfortunately we lack information for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom