• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
she looks like it from trailer but its only 2 sec clips so cant say but this could open up the saying semi clones might still be in

Hoser

Smash Ace
In terms of her base moveset, she looks to be a Marth clone. But what about the custom moves?

I feel like this is where Sakurai is going to make Lucina very different than Marth.

We haven't seen any custom moves for Lucina or Marth yet. But from how Marth played in the demo, I almost feel like Marth is going to get a lot of cool custom specials that work good while grounded, and Lucina will get good specials that work while in air.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Honestly I still suspect she's just a Marth alt. Their hitboxes were purposely made similar.

Unless Lucina adopted Marth's top tier Brawl technicalities, thus making her superior to the nerfed Marth. :D

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Someone mentioned Marth is considerably slower in SSB4 and Lucina does look kinda fast in the trailer, so no, I think they will play differently

Like Fox and Falco, they are similar, but... different

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
Someone mentioned her landing lag after a nair was faster than marths. We still haven't seen her side smashes yet, so theres hope. You'd think she would have her stance from awakening as her idle position, but i guess the devs got lazy

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
For the sake of readability during matches, I pray that Lucina is not a complete clone

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Someone mentioned her landing lag after a nair was faster than marths. We still haven't seen her side smashes yet, so theres hope. You'd think she would have her stance from awakening as her idle position, but i guess the devs got lazy
trailer only thats somthing for main game possibly

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Someone mentioned Marth is considerably slower in SSB4 and Lucina does look kinda fast in the trailer, so no, I think they will play differently

Like Fox and Falco, they are similar, but... different
and ness and lucas

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Well, i actually think that an Awakening character was obvious and necessary. Sal leak fooled me though, but at the end we got the best option (Robin). Now about this...

Actually im not against clones, when they bring variety to the gameplay. Dont think wrong, Melee is the perfect example of how clones can work correctly in Smash, specially Fox and Falco. Those are characters that make sense to share a simmilar fighting style, but at the same time, it is only a superficial thing. Fox and Falco may look the same, but they fight differently. And also Fox and Falco are almost equal characters, with no one of the two being much stronger than the other.

Also, Marth had clones previously. But Roy... Unlike Fox and Falco, Roy was outclassed by Marth. I really hope this does not happen with Lucina and Marth.

But now the Question, does Smash really needs a new Marth Clone?

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Do I THINK she will be a complete clone? No. Am I worried that she MIGHT be? Absolutely. From the trailer, semi-clone status is nearly guaranteed.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Well, i actually think that an Awakening character was obvious and necessary. Sal leak fooled me though, but at the end we got the best option (Robin). Now about this...

Actually im not against clones, when they bring variety to the gameplay. Dont think wrong, Melee is the perfect example of how clones can work correctly in Smash, specially Fox and Falco. Those are characters that make sense to share a simmilar fighting style, but at the same time, it is only a superficial thing. Fox and Falco may look the same, but they fight differently. And also Fox and Falco are almost equal characters, with no one of the two being much stronger than the other.

Also, Marth had clones previously. But Roy... Unlike Fox and Falco, Roy was outclassed by Marth. I really hope this does not happen with Lucina and Marth.

But now the Question, does Smash really needs a new Marth Clone?
You gotta remember, the resources put into a clone is not very high. She may have been added later where they could no longer finish an original moveset

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm sure she'll be a semi-clone. Weaker but faster than Marth. I do hope she has at least a few unique moves though.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I'm going to answer this question with a question?

Is Falco necessary gameplay-wise anymore, if she isn't?

Gepona

Smash Rookie
NNID
iEndzone
3DS FC
5069-3947-0346
Going to guess that Lucina is going to be to Marth what Fox was to Falco. However, the fact that Custom moves are a thing makes me think that while some moves will be copy's and pastes, others might be considerably different.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Unfortunately I do. I was really hoping on new newcomers this time around being clones. If she is a clone I would honestly rather not have her in game entirely.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
You gotta remember, the resources put into a clone is not very high. She may have been added later where they could no longer finish an original moveset
No pls, this is like the mentality of those who say that the game is going to change from the E3 Demo. No, the game is going to change a bit, in some things, but dont expect the whole game to be completely revamped, neither all the Lucina moveset.

The thing is, that the previous clone of Marth did not worked well, thus was not worthy gameplay-wise, i hope that does not happen to Lucina.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
No pls, this is like the mentality of those who say that the game is going to change from the E3 Demo. No, the game is going to change a bit, in some things, but dont expect the whole game to be completely revamped, neither all the Lucina moveset.
The thing is, that the previous clone of Marth did not worked well, thus was not worthy gameplay-wise, i hope that does not happen to Lucina.
...wut? Those mindsets are completely different and have nothing to do with each other

All I'm saying is it may be like Melee, you either get one original char, or 4-5 clones

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
...wut? Those mindsets are completely different and have nothing to do with each other

All I'm saying is it may be like Melee, you either get one original char, or 4-5 clones
Yeah sorry i meant to respond someone in other forum, my bad, brainfart.
Agreed. Not to mention that Lucina is more important to her game than Falco is to his game.
We are talking specifically about gameplay, your point is out of place in this thread, that said Falco is still more important than Lucina as a Nintendo character, being in more games than Lucina.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah sorry i meant to respond someone in other forum, my bad, brainfart.
We are talking specifically about gameplay, your point is out of place in this thread, that said Falco is still more important than Lucina as a Nintendo character, being in more games than Lucina.
Being in more games does not matter if he does little in all of them; whereas, Lucina had a big role in the one game she has been in.

Back on topic, Lucina looks like a Marth that works wonderfully in the air.

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
First of all, characters with similar design properties have been a staple in fighting games, not just Smash (i.e. Evil Ryu from Street Fighter) I'm sure her unique differences will come as a pleasure to people who enjoy Marth but may have wanted him to hit harder, for example (I'm just assuming she plays that way).

As far as the choice to go with Lucina over Chrom, I'd take a female rep over another male at this point. The diversity is good.

Last edited:

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
welp her dash attack, bair, dair, and smashes are all up for debate

jigglover

Smash Lord
"OMG MARTH CLONE LMFAO"

Yeah... No. We haven't had a clean cut clone since Smash 4 and the Mario Bros.; Sakurai has stated his distaste of the idea, and as such, Lucina will NOT be one. Basically, it lends itself to her as a character to have the same idle position as Marth. From what I know of FE: Awakening, Lucina impersonated Marth very believably, to the extent of imitating her play style. Dancing Blade is iconic to Marth, but I believe Lucina uses the attack while she is impersonating him..? Lucina will not be a straight-up clone, so let's speculate on her moveset in this thread. In this OP I shall put what we know of her attacks already:

Specials:
Dancing Blade - Pretty much Marth's, except that Lucina apparently gets off more hits, albeit weaker ones than on Marth.

Counter - Not much is known about this attack, except that Lucina has one; this is really to be expected from a Fire Emblem character, as it is such a huge part of their games.

Dolphin Slash - This also returns, unfortunately. It appears to have a higher reach, though, which further solidifies the point that Lucina appears to be more focused on the air than the ground. Possibly on ground she can use attacks like the multi-hit Dancing Blade to heighten foe's percentages, before letting loose a powerful attack in the air (such as Dolphin Slash?)
Physical Attacks:
Dash Attack: Link's position there looks like his dash attack position. Lucina's looks like it could definitely be a dash attack as well, so for now I will label it as so. It appears that Lucina does a lunge attack with her sword while she is running, which is unfortunately somewhat similar to Marth's dash attack. However, Lucina appears to hold her sword lower than Marth, indicating there to be less of an animation and as such a fast attack.

HOLD UP WHAT IS THIS? Heart Beat = KO... and that certainly doesn't look like Lucina's getting hit animation. In fact, it looks like Lucina's using her attack before Ike's... so this indicates towards a powerful Side Smash.
Why is this her Side Smash? Well, she's clearly facing towards Ike, and she has the brace of wind around her knee which one gains through using a side smash. Could this be hinting at Lucina's side smash being very powerful -- moreso than Marth's? Marth's never had very good knockback, but Ike is a heavyweight. That requires some pretty good power to get a KO on a stage like Coliseum. While I fully understand that Sakurai may have just put Ike at high health... I kinda doubt it. This does get me excited though; a fast, agile character with powerful smashes sounds like a dream to play with.

Air Game:
Forward Air - A basic upwards swing attack with unknown properties.
Neutral Air - A double swing akin to Marth's.
FINAL SMASH TIME! We don't actually know what it is yet, but it looks like a summoning attack to me. Why? Well, she got rid of her sword, or at the very least has her arms down lower than before. I'm not sure what she would summon, maybe cavalry troops or something, but her position just looks like that to me... IDK.

My other thought is that it's a basic "trap a character and they're dead", akin to other sword-fighters like the Links and Ike. I feel that Sakurai would try and distance himself from the two of them, though.

Shortened Version with confirmed attacks only:
(credit to @extremechiton for the idea and start!)
jab: ???

ftilt:???
dtilt:???
utilt:???

fsmash: ???
dsmash: ???
usmash: ???

fair: upward swing
dair: ???
upair:???
bair:???
nair: double swing (same as marths)

fspecial: dancing blade
dspecial: counter
uspecial: dolphin slash
nspecial: ???

dash attack: ???
I would prefer to use screenshots as opposed to video for now; I may add in video attacks later.

So, what new attacks do you think they could give to Lucina as another means of differentiating herself from Marth? What will her stats be like -- faster than Marth, but less powerful? Less starting lag but slightly slower moving? Discuss! ^_^

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Lucina is literally Melee Falco.

In Melee Fox changed entirely gameplay-wise, and Falco basically took all of Smash 64 Fox's skills and playstyle.

Lucina is looking to do the same.

Judging by what we all played, Marth is entirely different in playstyle, skillset, and functionality.

I actually predicted this (but with Chrom) because it makes a lot of sense.

And before anyone says "I hate clones, they're all bad", Falco is a better newcomer than any smash character since.

In fact, Falco is probably the best designed smash character.

Gameplay > All.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, no, Lucina was not needed. I consider her a nice bonus for Awakening fans, since the main attractive was clearly Robin.

That doesn't mean this isn't the most hyped I've been for a character since Mega Man.

Xafer2468

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xafer2468
I'm pretty sure dolphin slash was shown and at the end of the video it looks like lucina uses counter. her nair and uair are the same as marths

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
Side special= dancing blade
Nair= marth's

I think I saw the first hit of her jab in the video too. It was right after she spot dodges. Anyways, it seems to be marths as well.

Everything else is unknown though, lol

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is funny to see people angry when someone suggests Falco and Lucas should be cut, but ask if Lucina's inclusion was necessary.

Just a reminder that if Chrom was playable, he would also most likely be a Marth clone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom