• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Moveset Analysis/Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
She's still holding the Falchion in that "death stare" image. She didn't get rid of it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Define 'complete clone'.

She could very well have Marth's animations with different move properties, Melee Fox/Falco style.

Which I'm completely fine with.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than just being an alternate costume for Marth.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well, i actually think that an Awakening character was obvious and necessary. Sal leak fooled me though, but at the end we got the best option (Robin). Now about this...

Actually im not against clones, when they bring variety to the gameplay. Dont think wrong, Melee is the perfect example of how clones can work correctly in Smash, specially Fox and Falco. Those are characters that make sense to share a simmilar fighting style, but at the same time, it is only a superficial thing. Fox and Falco may look the same, but they fight differently. And also Fox and Falco are almost equal characters, with no one of the two being much stronger than the other.

Also, Marth had clones previously. But Roy... Unlike Fox and Falco, Roy was outclassed by Marth. I really hope this does not happen with Lucina and Marth.

But now the Question, does Smash really needs a new Marth Clone?
Who are you to say that fox and Falco indeed are a good way to implement clones?
This thread is not really needed imo

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Define 'complete clone'.

She could very well have Marth's animations with different move properties, Melee Fox/Falco style.

Which I'm completely fine with.
wasent that like roy in melee?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think she's a clone, but I hope they have different smashes and tilts at least, and hopefully a different neutral special.

Hong

The Strongest
@ R Raetah
I merged your thread with this one, since it more or less discusses all the same things. Thanks. ^~^

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I honestly don't care if she's a clone, I just wanted her playable and I'm happy to see that, besides I'm used to using a cloned character, at least she's not Ganondorf Ganon Punching everything.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Honestly Moderator im disapointed, My thread had so far way more elaborated posts than this one, in fact in this thread was created before mine is because i dedicate more time to write rather than just one line.
I dont understand what is going on with those moderators.

Hello im Rymi and this is my one line post:
shi lookz ike it fron traler but its only 2 sec klipz so kant zay but this could open up the zaying zemi clonez migt still be in

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Honestly Moderator im disapointed, My thread had so far way more elaborated posts than this one, in fact in this thread was created before mine is because i dedicate more time to write rather than just one line.
I dont understand what is going on with those moderators.

Hello im Rymi and this is my one line post:
shi lookz ike it fron traler but its only 2 sec klipz so kant zay but this could open up the zaying zemi clonez migt still be in
theres no need to be mean :(

Azule07

Smash Cadet
From the trailer, it looks like she's only got two moves that appear different from Marth's right now.

Firstly, her Dancing Blade.

It's the Down Dancing Blade, but it appears to come out quicker(by a fair amount) and have might have more reach.

She performs Dolphin Blade, but that appears to be identical to Marth's, with the only difference possibly being reach and movement in the air. So that's nothing special.

She's far superior in the air, as Marth at E3 revealed that he's lost a lot of his air game. I speculate it's that way so that Lucina can get it all, as her landing lag is next to non-existent.

Finally, there's a move which looks like it could be similar to Marth's Shield Breaker from Melee, where it's more of a stabbing motion.

There's no footage, so speculation on this move is pretty limited.

Though the evidence looks pretty compelling. Granted, there are a few moves we haven't seen in action, but it's looking likely that she's a clone.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
If you have reservations about a moderator's decision, you are encouraged to take it up with forum support.

Thanks. :) Please get back on topic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is funny to see people angry when someone suggests Falco and Lucas should be cut, but ask if Lucina's inclusion was necessary.

Just a reminder that if Chrom was playable, he would also most likely be a Marth clone.
Maybe but at least Chrom would have been aesthetically different compared to Marth with the shiny silver armor and the white cape.

That's why I liked Lucas... he was blonde and wore clothes with different colors so it wasn't like anyone could confuse Lucas with Ness. Sure makes me glad we didn't get Ninten in Brawl.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
They've done it before. Fox's transition from 64 to melee transferred a lot of his stuff to Falco, and he in return gained new super saiyan speed and top tier powers.

Lucina might inherit Marth's previous assets while Marth himself will get new things to play with (whether good or bad).

MattScar

Smash Rookie
Seeing as she is not treated as a newcomer on the official web site (she is in a square that says update, where Robin is in a rectangle saying newcomer), i think its safe to say shes a clone (female alt for marth)

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Seeing as she is not treated as a newcomer on the official web site (she is in a square that says update, where Robin is in a rectangle saying newcomer), i think its safe to say shes a clone (female alt for marth)
if you click her portrait it says newcomer

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
her nair and side special are the same as marths, but her fair is different.
i just hope she doesnt have counter. that move is over represented in the fire emblem cast of ssb.
she doesnt even use counter in the fe:a

jigglover

Smash Lord
Warning Received
From the trailer, it looks like she's only got two moves that appear different from Marth's right now.

Firstly, her Dancing Blade.

It's the Down Dancing Blade, but it appears to come out quicker(by a fair amount) and have might have more reach.

She performs Dolphin Blade, but that appears to be identical to Marth's, with the only difference possibly being reach and movement in the air. So that's nothing special.

She's far superior in the air, as Marth at E3 revealed that he's lost a lot of his air game. I speculate it's that way so that Lucina can get it all, as her landing lag is next to non-existent.

Finally, there's a move which looks like it could be similar to Marth's Shield Breaker from Melee, where it's more of a stabbing motion.

There's no footage, so speculation on this move is pretty limited.

Though the evidence looks pretty compelling. Granted, there are a few moves we haven't seen in action, but it's looking likely that she's a clone.
Yeah I noticed that the Dancing Blade came out a little bit quicker, but I wasn't sure if that was something Marth had also gained. Apparently not! >_> I will add it to the OP now. Thank you for pointing it out!

I need to study the video more once I get my computer back, which is why moves not in screenshots aren't included yet...

And... well that's her falling animation, I think. It's Marth's falling animation, anyway...

....Pretty sure she's a clone mate:4tlink:
Can I just point out the complete and utter ignorance and clear lack of intellectual literate skill that has been showcased in this post? Especially the fact that you use Toon Link to further prove your misled point. A better character to use would be Falco, Ganondorf, Luigi (from 64), Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, and countless others. Toon Link is actually one of the least clone-like clones we've had in Smash Bros. to date, and is a semi-clone at the very worst, as he has entirely different properties, as well as things like representation, taunts and idle/running/falling/swimming/jumping animations. Please think a little bit or read the OP to see if this incredibly obvious and moot point has already been answered and disproven by a simply statement made by Sakurai before increasing your post count with unnecessary spam. Thank you! :)

I'm pretty sure dolphin slash was shown and at the end of the video it looks like lucina uses counter. her nair and uair are the same as marths
Thank you, I will add a short mention in the OP about the attacks returning on Lucina.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
jab: ???

ftilt:???
dtilt:???
utilt:???

fsmash: ???
dsmash: ???
usmash: ???

fair: ??? (turned out to be dolphin slash)
dair: ???
upair: basically marths
bair:???
nair: double swing (same as marths)

fspecial: dancing blade (same as marths)
dspecial: counter (can we not a fire emblem character who uses counter for once?)
uspecial: dolphin slash (again marths)
nspecial: ???

dash attack: ???

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think she's our first new clone (hence why she didn't get her own trailer) but it's tough to say if she's a COMPLETE clone. We've only seen a few moves in that trailer, and while those seem similar, if not identical, it's not impossible to assume that she'll have some differences. Plus in my opinion she seemed quicker in that trailer.

In fact, my worst case scenario is that she ends up having the properties that Melee Marth did, since this Marth (based on the demos) seemed to be fairly changed.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
I expect that her special moves will be where Lucina gets the seperation from Marth. She looks to be much more Air-based, so I tried to remember this in speculation. In terms of how it works with the game, Lucina can end up with a lot of attacking skills due to the parent/child mechanic. I'm not the most creative guy, though...I just expect some homage to the game, what with Robin getting the Duel Strike thing as his final smash.

Galeforce - An air dash that goes at a diagonal, and a gale projectile moves forward.

Astra - Similiar to Sword Rain from most fighters, Lucina lets off a lightning-fast flurry of sword strokes.

Aether - An up-down attack that knocks the opponents into the air, she then jumps after them and bashes them back down.

Lethality - A very focused move that's all about the tipping, but when tipped correctly, has a major meteor spike. It'll have killer ending lag, though, so it's a case of "land the kill or suffer".

Luna - Look at Project M's Quickdraw. That's practically what Luna is. Lucina could do something like that.

Aegis - Lots of characters have shields like this (look at Palutena's reflect) but I imagine it would be a damaging shield of some sort. Anyone who attacks Lucina whilst using Aegis gets recoil and damage or something like that.

Sol - A pierce attack where Lucina regains the damage done. Her animation from the game works fine for this movement. Will only be around 10~%

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
They look awful similar, and yes I know the details I just don't know how to make a spoiler tag. But in a fast paced battle, how am I not gonna get these two confused? Will that limit whether players main them or not?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
First of all, SHE IS NOT AN ALTERNATE COSTUME! She may go along the lines of Roy with some of her moves functioning differently from Marth, but her moves are going to be similar.
This actually was the first thing that crossed my mind when I noticed how similar she looked to play. I actually kept waiting to see her shield breaker to see if there was fire involved for some reason haha.

jigglover

Smash Lord
jab: ???

ftilt:???
dtilt:???
utilt:???

fsmash: ???
dsmash: ???
usmash: ???

fair: upward swing
dair: ???
upair:???
bair:???
nair: double swing (same as marths)

fspecial: dancing blade (same as marths)
dspecial: counter?
uspecial: dolphin slash?
nspecial: ???

dash attack: ???
Thank you! Added to the OP with credit to you.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I noticed that the Dancing Blade came out a little bit quicker, but I wasn't sure if that was something Marth had also gained. Apparently not! >_> I will add it to the OP now. Thank you for pointing it out!

I need to study the video more once I get my computer back, which is why moves not in screenshots aren't included yet...

And... well that's her falling animation, I think. It's Marth's falling animation, anyway...

Can I just point out the complete and utter ignorance and clear lack of intellectual literate skill that has been showcased in this post? Especially the fact that you use Toon Link to further prove your misled point. A better character to use would be Falco, Ganondorf, Luigi (from 64), Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, and countless others. Toon Link is actually one of the least clone-like clones we've had in Smash Bros. to date, and is a semi-clone at the very worst, as he has entirely different properties, as well as things like representation, taunts and idle/running/falling/swimming/jumping animations. Please think a little bit or read the OP to see if this incredibly obvious and moot point has already been answered and disproven by a simply statement made by Sakurai before increasing your post count with unnecessary spam. Thank you! :)

Thank you, I will add a short mention in the OP about the attacks returning on Lucina.
...Bias much? All I said was that my personal opinion is that she will be a clone, which indeed Toon Link is. Similar to Marth, with altered properties, taunts, and exclusive animations but an identical moveset, ....like Toon Link in Sm4sh. I'm sorry, did I p$@& on your bed, did I kill your cat, did I commit some type of evil crime, did I sleep with your Mom, what did I do to deserve such horrific, dreadful, and abhorrent treatment for just posting an subjective personal opinion that will have no effect in the game on a forum?
Never yet have I seen someone who let their love for a fictional character make them insult and question other posters intelligence. Well, good for you being the first.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
It is funny to see people angry when someone suggests Falco and Lucas should be cut, but ask if Lucina's inclusion was necessary.

Just a reminder that if Chrom was playable, he would also most likely be a Marth clone.
With Lucina in the roster, you can almost bet that there won't be any cuts from the past 2 Smash games that were clones, Falco is all but in as this point (he's probably going to be revealed next month), the same goes for Ganondorf, and possibly a few characters from Brawl could be brought back like Wario (the only 1s that are likely axed are Pokémon Trainer, Snake & maybe the Ice Climbers & Wolf (although Wolf would have a decent chance to return).

As for Chrom being a Marth clone, he would also partially clone Ike as well (remember he uses Aether in Awakening, and is a bit slower than Marth, but faster than Ike, if Chrom had got in the roster he would be a mix of both characters although cloning off of 2 characters would actually make Chrom somewhat unique if you think about it).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Maybe but at least Chrom would have been aesthetically different compared to Marth with the shiny silver armor and the white cape.

That's why I liked Lucas... he was blonde and wore clothes with different colors so it wasn't like anyone could confuse Lucas with Ness. Sure makes me glad we didn't get Ninten in Brawl.
Lucina is aesthetically different from Marth. Her body shape is different (being more feminine), she has long hair and I am fairly sure Masked Lucina will be a costume for her. So... Yeah.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
theres no need to be mean :(
Sorry but as i said, i had more elaborated content and a spicy title.

There is a big difference between Falco and Lucina, Captain Justice: 1st, Falco was the 2nd character of Star Fox, Lucina is actually 3-4th Fire Emblem character in SSB4, 4-5 Fire Emblem character in SSB series. 2nd, Precedents of Fox clones and semiclones work correctly. 3rd, Roy was not effective. 4th At this point, Falco has build his legacy inside the series.

And about Lucas, Lucas is only a clone of Ness if you dont use your A button to fight.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I have to say, I agree with HugoBoss. And if she isn't a clone, she's getting little to no respect from the website itself.

Also, why not show off the stuff that was different instead of showing us all of Marth's moves? She even has the sigh and hand to chest thing that Marth does so much. It's... scary.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sorry but as i said, i had more elaborated content and a spicy title.
There is a big difference between Falco and Lucina, Captain Justice: 1st, Falco was the 2nd character of Star Fox, Lucina is actually 3-4th Fire Emblem character in SSB4, 4-5 Fire Emblem character in SSB series. 2nd, Precedents of Fox clones and semiclones work correctly. 3rd, Roy was not effective. 4th At this point, Falco has build his legacy inside the series.

And about Lucas, Lucas is only a clone of Ness if you dont use your A button to fight.
But unlike Falco, Lucas and Lucina actually do important things in their games.

Falco is mostly known for ditching his teammates in the Star Fox games and being a jerk when you save him.

I don't mind Falco, but don't try to give him a bigger role than he actually has.

Hong

The Strongest
Everyone play nice. No need to needlessly insult others for their opinions or perceptions. :)

Farorae

Smash Ace
Little disappointed with her moveset basically looks like a slightly altered Marth, although I hope to be proven wrong.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
i don't think it matters, maybe lucina will be shorter than marth ?
i don't know. but since they look so similarly and play similarly
from what we saw, you shouldn't worry about telling them apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom