• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina: Match-Up Discussion (UPDATE: Kirby!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah, Jab and Bair are arguably Falco's best tools. All of his tilts are solid as well. As said above, he does not excel at edgeguarding. His only really offstage options are fair, bair, and maaaaybe dair but it's quite hard to land. Anyway, at long distances Falco can laser Lucina and be annoying, but keep his mind his laser is borderline unviable because of its lag. Punish him for it if he lasers remotely close to you. His Shine is also a good zoning tool. It is effective at its maximum range, but if he doesn't space it right you can shield it and go in on him. Most of Falco's game will likely consist of jabs, tilts, throws, dash attack, and bairs/nairs on the ground. I think the matchup boils down to good spacing (yeah, it's cliché). Falco can't really answer to that long sword of yours if you use it right. Play carefully and maintain your space. Also be sure to pursue him offstage and hit him out of his up B if you can.

Overall , it's a pretty close matchup but I think Lucina's range might turn it towards her a bit. I'm thinking 55:45 or 60:40 Lucina's favor.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I actually struggle a bit in this matchup. Jab, bair and ftilt make it hard to approach and I sort of just get walled out. Before I know it I've taken a ton of damage. The good news is that falco has virtually no way of edgeguarding lucina so she has that going for her
? ive had plenty of instances where i b-air lucinas recovery and stage spike to her death. double f-air will put lucina in a position where she cant even recover.

Jackson

Smash Lord
well, his jumps are great (highest in the game), but i really don't think he can gimp THAT well. if his dair was faster, yes. but it's not. Also, his recovery is pretty good but not insane by any means.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
well, his jumps are great (highest in the game), but i really don't think he can gimp THAT well. if his dair was faster, yes. but it's not. Also, his recovery is pretty good but not insane by any means.
If this was pre-1.04 patch, then Falco's Fair would be an insane gimp, but alas, that's changed.

Also, this is dangerous for Falco, but as @Bonk! showed, Falco can short hop a Falco Phantasm off the stage, spike, and recover. Not a lot of people have been talking about it so, I guess it's a new technique. It's not a true combo so, you can get out if it, but a good read and really high percents can spell doom for everyone.

Forward throw allows Falco to shoot 3 times and lock you down for the 3 shots - somehow the stun or something makes it so he can land 3 shots before you're back in control; it's one of the best uses of his Blaster. I think you can get out of this, but if you notice that, then make sure to punish that grab.

Fair has high priority so, shield it I guess and just avoid it.

I think Falco's game plan in SSB4 it to pressure, zone, and punish. Once he puts a ton of pressure on you, then you're in the disadvantage state of play - going off of @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord 's write up of The States of Gameplay, Footsies, and Traps - A Primer For Gameplay Concepts. This is sort of like Ganondorf who has an amazing advantage state - that's if he gets there so, don't let him.

Anyway, it's been a while and I don't claim to be an amazing Falco player so, those are my tips which are like general tips against him.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
If this was pre-1.04 patch, then Falco's Fair would be an insane gimp, but alas, that's changed.

Also, this is dangerous for Falco, but as @Bonk! showed, Falco can short hop a Falco Phantasm off the stage, spike, and recover. Not a lot of people have been talking about it so, I guess it's a new technique. It's not a true combo so, you can get out if it, but a good read and really high percents can spell doom for everyone.

Forward throw allows Falco to shoot 3 times and lock you down for the 3 shots - somehow the stun or something makes it so he can land 3 shots before you're back in control; it's one of the best uses of his Blaster. I think you can get out of this, but if you notice that, then make sure to punish that grab.

Fair has high priority so, shield it I guess and just avoid it.

I think Falco's game plan in SSB4 it to pressure, zone, and punish. Once he puts a ton of pressure on you, then you're in the disadvantage state of play - going off of @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord 's write up of The States of Gameplay, Footsies, and Traps - A Primer For Gameplay Concepts. This is sort of like Ganondorf who has an amazing advantage state that's if he gets there so, don't let him.

Anyway, it's been a while and I don't claim to be an amazing Falco player so, those are my tips which are like general tips against him.
Nice points. I only know falco's fair post 1.04, so yeah that's what I meant. I like what you said about his game plan, i might try to apply that next time i play him. and about the fthrow to laser, is that the little laser lock where they miss the tech and then you laser them three times before they get up?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
how i wish his f-air was pre 1.04 :c
I would justify the change as a way to not have a "broken" move. Still, it would have been nice if it did spike, but only at higher percentages like say, 130%. That said, Fair remains a great move because of its priority, damage, vacuum effect, and knockback.

Nice points. I only know falco's fair post 1.04, so yeah that's what I meant. I like what you said about his game plan, i might try to apply that next time i play him. and about the fthrow to laser, is that the little laser lock where they miss the tech and then you laser them three times before they get up?
Yep, I think that's it. That's something that's okay. Now, teching Ganondorf's Flame Choke is just stupid. That's something, in my opinion, shouldn't exist.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Falco does still have the fair option off stage, it will cause a weak spike on Lucina's up b on the trade.
He's got his nair as well but it's almost useless on the up b trade. Usually I would go for the FF fair right on the edge of stage, it gets right where Lucina and Marth would have to go for recovery. If you can manage to time it right you can use the shine off-stage as well to keep them back.
I have to say for the Marth/Lucina MU I rely on Falco's shine, great keepaway tool and disrupts approach.

I feel like this MU is all about who knows their range better. Spacing is paramount.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man I miss Pre 1.04 Falco Fair. But anyway I haven't played the matchup too much at all even though I play both Falco and Marth/Lucina as well so I'll try to put some insight as best I can. Falco main tools to use are his jab 1 and 2, f-tilt for spacing, down tilt for juggle setups and a reliable vertical OOS punisher at 7 frames, fair for offstage along with dair and bair. Falco wants to annoy you and space you out until you get above him and/or offstage and chase you off so you can't recover to the ledge. Falco can also use his reflector to space out some hits but it is unsafe on shield so Falco must be a little cautious and can't throw it out all the time. You wanna keep him spaced out and gimp him when you sure you can and punish his side b attempts onto the stage so that the Falco is forced to mix it up. If Falco does a grounded side b it has some lag to it so if you are within range try to punish it. Just play careful and don't drop your punishes and you should be good.

I try to post more info regarding both characters late if I can figure out what to post next.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Great discussion. How do you think Falco's grab game affects the match-up? By that I mean the dThrow > dash attack, dThrow > Usmash, combos that Falco possesses, as well as his down-tilt > follow up? In the end I think this still would come down to spacing.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Great discussion. How do you think Falco's grab game affects the match-up? By that I mean the dThrow > dash attack, dThrow > Usmash, combos that Falco possesses, as well as his down-tilt > follow up? In the end I think this still would come down to spacing.
Yeah, this match up does seem like it's all about spacing which I learned the hard way yesterday after not playing for a while. It was against a Shulk and we know how much range Shulk has.

Falco has a lot of power with his attacks, but he lacks range since he's a hand-to-hand fighter. If he gets in close and sweet-spots moves, then he's going to lay a smackdown. So, Falco really is a footsie character.

Lucina/Marth have strong attacks as well, but their advantage is their swords which is basically an extension of their arms. If they can space Falco well, then Falco can't do much.

Y'know, I'm beginning to think that Falco is the unarmed version of Marth/Lucina.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Grabs are a big part of Falco's game, he has a couple options off the fthrow and dthrow...
His upthrow and bthrow can autokill but that's not until very high percent. It's a strength and weakness at the same time, his grab range needs for him to get close to connect, and that's not so easy with those swords and all that.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lucina plays a shield prone game that will rely on getting grabs from frame traps and attempting to outspace his tilts/jab with her own sword attacks.

Falco can liberally use lasers in long range situations or landing/jumping as a little go between. Falco will want to attempt to dash attack through Lucina's lag and as an out of shield punish, forward tilt is his main 'dominating' tool as it's speed and range is quite daunting used precisely. Getting [dash] grabs is important, up throw into up air can string multiple times and tack on a lot of damage to lucina due to lack of good options to deal with that juggle trap.

Killing can be a huge issue for both characters, but Falco can set up for an up air/back air dunker for a large range of percent.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I really need to play against Falco in order to gain the match-up experience. Regardless, how does Lucina fare to keep Falco out of stage? If we take Melee as an example, Marth was able to gimp Falco pretty successfully due to the options he had available. Bair, Fair, D-tilt, are all pretty great options in Melee. Falco's recovery in that game was also sub-par. If I am not mistaken, Smash 4 Falco has a better vertical distance on his upB and he can act out of a side-b nowadays. Additionally, utilizing d-tilt to hit an opponent approaching the ledge is very difficult in this iteration of Smash (or maybe I'm not doing it correctly). So in my opinion, the options are limited to Fair and/or Bair as more reliable moves. Are these reliable options or can Falco still pose a threat?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Locuan Locuan and others:

I don't know how much priority Marth's/Lucina's aerial's and other attacks have, but off-stage, Falco's Fair is definitely something to beware since if it connects, it's going to lock people in for at least 2-3 hits - I had people either DI out of it or I pulled back or moved in a direction that let them escape. So, it might be a bad idea to jump into a Falco recovering.

Same thing with Nair? @ Shaya Shaya ? I know Nair comes out faster than Fair, so be wary of a counter attack.

Since Falco Phantasm spikes and most people would use it to recover, it's also another bad idea to go after him since it might lead to the Falco player reading what you're doing and he'll just spike you and recover at the same time. So, if Falco's far away and doing that, it's not a good idea to follow him unless he's close and you can get above him and Dair him or something. It's also the same with Falco's Dair since a good read means a spike.

Here's the thing, Falco Phantasm like Fox Illusion has end lag and although it's less when used in the air (and lands), if the player does it too early and doesn't grab the ledge and is on the stage, I think a Shield Breaker, Side Smash, Down Smash, or whatever would be a great way to punish. I've had times where I did Falco Phantasm too early and I ate Falcon Punches, Warlock Punches, (Toon) Link's Side Smash and Link's Dash Attack, and more. The other side is doing it too late and being below the ledge. I get confused at that moment and forget I can wall-jump and Fire Bird to get back up - I'm used to Brawl's wall jump were you press the jump button instead of Melee's/SSB4's control where you use the analog stick. Instead, I just Fire Bird and it's not enough since Fire Bird doesn't travel as far as Fox's Fire Fox. So, if you see a Falco/Fox recovering too late, I guess you could just Dair them to prevent them from fixing their mistake.

Falco's Bair is another danger if you position yourself badly since it might mean a free KO for him.

I just saw a video where a Falco player used Uair to counter and get back on stage. It was kind of weird since it looked like he bypassed ledge-grapping, but Falco's Uair is fast so he might be able to counter you before you act in any way.

Falco's Reflector and Blaster is a risky way to counter Marth's/Lucina's approaches off-stage. Sure, they have range and can stun, but the end lag might mean Falco won't be able to react until he has a foot in the blast line. Against a projectile user like Lucario, Samus, and Mega Man, Falco can just end the game off-stage with a well-read Reflector. Against characters who prefer to just get in like Ike, Ganondorf, Marth, Lucina, and Captain Falco, the risk of using Reflector and Blaster might be too great since if he uses either one before he grabs the ledge, he's just going to fall while waiting for the animation to complete. Too high or misreads would just lead to an easy punish.

Because this applies to both Falco and Fox, they have predictable recoveries, but they have effective recoveries. It's mostly going to be variations of Falco Phantasm/Fox Illusion and Fire Bird/Fox along with just "gliding" back. Fire Bird/Fox is slow, but that doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want. A mistime just means free damage for Falco/Fox.

This is... pretty much everything I learned about recovering as Falco. If you don't land a kill move on Falco, then he's probably going to come back somehow.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Interesting. I did not know that beforehand. However, some good pointers to highlight what you said:

Lucina
Nair
Hits on frame: 6.0
Hitboxes end: 22.0

Fair
Hits on frame: 6.0
Hitboxes end: 9.0

Bair
Hits on frame: 7.0
Hitboxes end: 12.0
Falco
Nair
Hits on frame: 3.0
Hitboxes end: 25.0

Fair
Hits on frame: 12.0
Hitboxes end: 37.0

Bair
Hits on frame: 4.0
Hitboxes end: 12.0
So assuming both throw their respective attacks at the same time, and they both use the same aerial input, Falco's Bair and Nair hit faster than Lucina's. So I can see why she could be at the disadvantage offstage. Do we also know the dimensions of the hit-boxes? Those could have some importance.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All right, because stuff on paper seems great and the stuff I've been explaining seems good, stuff in theory never really goes the same way. There's so many variables. Well, I found a video which I posted on the Good Falco video? thread as well showing how dangerous Falco Phantasm can be. Sure, it's nothing to worry about early in, but later on when you're near and above 100%, then it can be a game changer.

At 0:20, 0:27, 0:55, and at 1:58. Also, recovering onto the stage like at 0:39 is a bad idea for everyone since that Falco could have just punished, but whiffed it by using a Side Smash which is sort of slow on start-up. Oh, and try to not walk into Smashes. It happens to everyone, but walking into Falco's Side Smash is like walking into Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch, Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, or Little Mac's... anything on ground.

Luci's got a sword and she really needs to use it against Falco. Fighting Falco is like fighting Fox, Little Mac, Mario, Luigi, and Wario. You don't let them in past Falchion's range.

By the way, Falco's Down Tilt can be used to edge-guard. I don't know the placement, but @MunsterMash's fight against a random player he met online, JJ, he was met by a couple of D-Tilt edge-guards from JJ's Falco. So, be wary. I think the guy in the above video tried it at 1:22, but Dolphin Slash goes past the ledge like Ike's Aether.

Edit: Found it! In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlPFGYhLcEg&list=UU1w-3SkAJRJSFoK-MWsqEJQ. Right at 3:26. This would be a great video to reference off some of Fox along with Falco.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Found it in the other video from MunsterMash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU1w-3SkAJRJSFoK-MWsqEJQ&v=X7B_osMT-1U. Right around 1:55.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That was a good presentation as to what Falco is capable of. On the other hand, I need to advise Lucina players as to not use the Dair when landing. As noted on that video, the Falco player was able to predict the Dair and punish Lucina. It can become quite predictable. Additionally, and most importantly, Dair gives 28 frames of landing lag. That's 6 more frames of landing lag when compared to the air dodge. Nair and Uair both have 15 frames of landing lag. These are better options. In essence, the Dair is a high risk, sub-par reward move when utilized in that manner.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It goes both ways since while Lucina's/Marth's Dair covers a large area, people will see a pattern and with Falco who's Phantasm can spike people in mid-air, whether or not Falco intended to do it is irrelevant since it just means a free kill for Falco. Now, Falco's Dair is slow, so while it's powerful, a mistime means punishment from his opponent. A sweet-spot on shield also means free punishment since it has the freeze effect. Sour-spotting it can also lead to punishment since the knockback is little enough that anyone can hit back.

Falco really does seem like Marth in a way since Falco has a lot of moves with sweet-spots and sour-spots. I don't remember clearly and I don't know where I can find the data, but Bair's sour-spot is Falco's body; sweet-spot is the foot. Dair's sweet-spot is the foot and right when it hits; the sour-spot is Falco's body and legs. Uair's sweet-spot is, I think, his feet when they're over his head; sour-spot is everywhere else. D-tilt has a sweet-spot and sour-spot too, I just don't remember, but I think the closer you are to Falco, the strong D-tilt is. Finally, Side Smash also has a sweet/sour spot and once again, I don't remember - it might be the same as D-tilt's sweet-spot.

So, like Marth, Falco can alternate between sweet and sour-spots for whatever purpose e.g. a sour-spotted Uair is good for comboing while a sweet-spotted Uair is good for killing.

As for hitboxes on Falco's Nair, Bair, and Fair, I can only make guesses and some from experience. Nair hits with Falco's arms and his body, but if you're behind or under him - it's angled -, I think it won't hit or it'll connect like one hit which you can just DI out of. Otherwise, if Falco can get a perfect position with Nair which I think he has to basically overlap you, then he can connect all the hits.

Bair's hitbox is small and has little range: it's just Falco's foot, the sweet-spot, his leg, and his body which are the sour-spots. Landing Bair and sweet-spotting with it is a problem of mine, but if it lands, it's pretty much a stock near 100%. Otherwise, you'll survive when it's sour-spotted.

Fair's hitbox is Falco himself. The range is extended, slightly, because Falco is parallel to the ground. It connects from Falco's beak to his body. I don't think his lower body connects.

So, while Falco's Bair and Nair are both faster than Luci's/Mar-Mar's, speed means nothing if Falco can't land them and Falchion's range is probably enough to punish. Otherwise, I guess you could use Counter instead especially if Falco's trying to land Bairs and constantly missing. Just bait him in and BOOM!, now you just turned one of his greatest assets into his greatest mistake.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey everyone! First of all I would like to thank the Falco mains who helped out in this weeks discussion! We had a lot of input, and it really helped us Lucina mains out. Starting this week though I will try something different. We will focus on discussing the match-ups for all characters we believe that Lucina may have a minor advantage against. I believe this will foster a more active participation by all members! If you like the schedule format, or if you dislike the schedule format, let me know!

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
No problem I'll try to be in here more and comment on things when possible on other MU's.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
While I'm probably the last person able to discuss MU's at a competitive level, here's one that I think Lucina has a small advantage in.

:4ganondorf:

At a competent level of play, it's fairly easy to telegraph most of Ganon's attacks and act accordingly. A big plus is that since Ganon's attacks are absurdly strong, it can work against him with smart Counters. Proper edgeguarding also prevents Ganon from getting back up due to his below average recovery, and edgeguarding is something that Lucina can do decently.

Sure, a lot of characters have advantages vs Ganondorf, but hey.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
After a few days I decided to go back on character specific match-ups but we will switch characters every two days. This next two days we will focus on :4sheik: Let's get started!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
30:70 is probably a safe guess.

Back air trades favourably against our recovery in a 'we don't have a way to beat it' type of way, her speed and range just denies us any opportunity to even throw out moves to be quite honest. The meta knight of this game, and Lucina is a much worse character than Marth was in Brawl to be at competitive in it. Light enough for down throw combos, everything else requires amazing reaction speed; if you don't PS fair you can't even avoid getting jabbed from it and that's a crappy situation. She's very light though and can die to smashes really early and can otherwise have a very hard killing us unless with anything other than back air or bouncing fish.

Learn to avoid back air or bouncing fish; unfortunately her throws, fair and needles can combo into them.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
We did not cover much in the discussion period for :4sheik:. So we will have to come back to this at a later date. Additionally, for some reason, I thought yesterday was the 18th so I did not update the thread. My apologies, my mind is weird sometimes. Anyways, this discussion period we take a trip into the Green Hill Zone. It's :4sonic:!

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
As a :4sonic: Sonic main, I can offer the following information:

Counter is very tricky to land against many of Sonic's moves, including the "rolling" parts of his spin dash/spin charge, his smashes, and his tilts. Between his speed, mixup ability, short windups, and idiosyncratic hitboxes, Counter becomes an almost entirely useless and easily-punished option.

Lucina does have the advantage of melee range and disjointed hitboxes, however, and despite its limitations it's POSSIBLE to use Counter to thwart what many Sonic players have as their favorite kill method (juggling off the top with nair and uair), especially because those moves are very predictable out of springjump.

Sonic's d-air is also extremely easy to punish, and the vacuum effect of Lucina's upsmash can catch Sonic out of a spindash or while Sonic is running around. And Lucina's Nair outprioritizes any of Sonic's aerial approaches (even Nair) from the sides, although it leaves Lucina vulnerable from above and below. Really, the challenge is hard-reading which of Sonic's several viable aerial attack options is going to come out, and denying it directionally.

In general, though, Sonic definitely has the advantage in the matchup because of his overwhelming speed and versatility, but Lucina stands a much better chance than characters like Bowser, Ike, or Dedede at taking advantage of the occasional whiffs, misreads, and overextensions that characterize much of Sonic play.

Use your spacing, stay grounded, don't get N-air'd, and don't underestimate the range of a perfect-pivot Fsmash.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
it's not like her counter is good anyway so who cares.

no sonic will ever dair unless you go up after him, and all he has to do is be a campy ***** and you can't touch him, especially as lucina.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
As a :4sonic: Sonic main, I can offer the following information:

Counter is very tricky to land against many of Sonic's moves, including the "rolling" parts of his spin dash/spin charge, his smashes, and his tilts. Between his speed, mixup ability, short windups, and idiosyncratic hitboxes, Counter becomes an almost entirely useless and easily-punished option.

Lucina does have the advantage of melee range and disjointed hitboxes, however, and despite its limitations it's POSSIBLE to use Counter to thwart what many Sonic players have as their favorite kill method (juggling off the top with nair and uair), especially because those moves are very predictable out of springjump.

Sonic's d-air is also extremely easy to punish, and the vacuum effect of Lucina's upsmash can catch Sonic out of a spindash or while Sonic is running around. And Lucina's Nair outprioritizes any of Sonic's aerial approaches (even Nair) from the sides, although it leaves Lucina vulnerable from above and below. Really, the challenge is hard-reading which of Sonic's several viable aerial attack options is going to come out, and denying it directionally.

In general, though, Sonic definitely has the advantage in the matchup because of his overwhelming speed and versatility, but Lucina stands a much better chance than characters like Bowser, Ike, or Dedede at taking advantage of the occasional whiffs, misreads, and overextensions that characterize much of Sonic play.

Use your spacing, stay grounded, don't get N-air'd, and don't underestimate the range of a perfect-pivot Fsmash.
Just wanted to reply to this, because generally, this is exactly how I see the match when I play as Lucina. Space, stay grounded, space, don't take unnecessary risks, and of course, space.

Spacing is probably more crucial in this matchup than any other. Lucina does beat Sonic in the air, but only in a properly spaced situation. (or if you're facing a Sonic who just does short hopped aerials for whatever reason instead of using them as followups after a spin dash like he should) Lucina's disjoint is probably the only real advantage she has over Sonic, so it helps to press that when you can.

As for being grounded, shield is your friend. Not so much so that Sonic can go in and grab you because he can do that without much fuss, but to deal with predicted attacks and punishing them. Homing Attack is specifically what I have in mind for this scenario, since if Sonic Homing Attacks your shield, you can get in a quick punish with short hopped uair or something like that. If he comes in with Dash Attack, shield the damage and you can have a chance to punish with ftilt whether he's still in front of or behind you. Whiffed dair means a free smash, but ideally Sonic shouldn't use that often. Stuff like this is what Lucina has to look for - finding the small openings that Sonic leaves and punishing him for it. Counter isn't terribly reliable in this matchup. Sometimes it can catch Sonic in a Spin Dash, sometimes he'll go fast enough to end up behind her, so I wouldn't rely on it.

For getting kills, getting a good read in for a smash by the ledge (like a get-up attack) is her only real option as well if she wants to kill early. Sonic can be gimped after he uses his spring, but it's really difficult to do so since he's not helpless afterward, he covers a lot of distance in the air, and he can punish you for it.

IMO, this is 4/6 Sonic's favour. Speed and Spin Dash can pretty much lock her down and force her to play his game. Although playing defensively isn't a bad thing for this match, it's her only hope to rack up damage and get kills.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
First, I'd say that this match-up is probably in Sonic's favor. I felt Marth was very even in Brawl, and in this game I think Sonic takes it now, but probably only slightly.

The only major difference in terms of Marth/Lucina I can think of is that Sonic is maybe more at risk up close versus Lucina than Marth, as she doesn't need to space a tipper for good damage/KO power. In some ways that hurts her though, as getting hit in the air from non-tippers doesn't wall out Sonic as heavily (but it's still very effective).

Edgeguarding and gimping Lucina is fairly easy for Sonic as he can bair pretty safely and drop springs. Despite the fact that you can eat them with uair, you're still forced to respect it and be slowed down by it. Juggling her from below is very dangerous. Lucina only really has counter (which isn't safe), airdodge, and dair to try to fend off incoming uairs, which are deadly from Sonic now. It has great range and power, making it both a spacing tool and KO move.

Her biggest strengths that can be really capitalized against Sonic, however, are abusing the fact he also has poor landing and get-up options. A lot of Sonic's options are forecasted and predictable, so juggling him from below, throwing him above you, etc. is going to be your best bet. Uairs, Bairs, Usmash, etc. are going to be very useful to keep him from touching the ground. Applying platform pressure, walling him out, and punishing landing/get-up options will be where the true damage wracking and KO's will be made.

I think a grounded Sonic is dangerous for Lucina. Despite her range on tilts and aerials, Sonic's ground speed is insane and allows him to very easily run > shield > punish. Even Sonic's dash attack is great for quick punishes, especially when you're trying to land. Your spacing has to be precise and calculated to avoid this, which is why I recommend going for grabs to get him in the air and really taking advantage of follow-ups, juggles, frame-traps, etc. Baiting Sonic into springing or dairing will be where you reign. Your Uair can beat spring, and catching his landing is scary as hell. Your aerial mobility and precision will be key.

If I had to put a number on it, for now I'd say it's 55:45 Sonic's favor.

:093:

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
While the discussion for Sonic was low, we got some great information provided by the Sonic mains! However, this is a match-up we have to go back to at a later date. This discussion period though, we will focus on the insanely fun, but at times annoying to play against :4villager::4villagerf:! Let's get started!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just a very slow paced and annoying match up. A lot of respect is required for his tools, but they're mostly (at this time) telegraphed stuff, and just short of the fact the hitboxes are huge and great priority, there isn't really anything Villager has that should shut her down, short of planking us (which villager can get away with unfortunately).

Villager has a hard time getting the kill and approaching, but for those to shine ahead as crippling weaknesses you need to be 'winning' first.
Know the scenarios where fair/bair are going to come out (obvious one is the ledge drop jump ones).

Dealing with lloyd is extremely annoying, I know I figured it out some of the rules/properties to wreck it the other day but I forget what exactly, but once the lloyd starts traveling, even jab will kill it. You can trade taking a lloyd hit with a smash attack and the hit lag/hitbox extending stuff can hit villager, which in some situations is completely worth.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
Villager's fair and bair are incredibly annoying for Lucina, mostly because of their utility against her. They can zone her out to keep her from getting in and also function as a gimping tool for her recovery. This means that you have to approach really slowly and carefully as Shaya said, mostly because Villager is better at forcing an approach from Lucina than the other way around. Villager's approach options are fairly easy to punish anyway. (shieldgrab dash attacks and keep the flowerpot hitbox in mind)

The ledge game is actually really exciting in this matchup. Villager can viably camp there with fair and is largely at ease in that general area, but Lucina does have options that she can use to nab a win. Attempted planking can be punished with fsmash or dtilt at the ledge if Villager re-grabs, which is actually good for Lucina since it's one of the places she wants Villager to be to get a kill from. (powershield predicted fair/bair first, because otherwise you lose your opportunity) Otherwise, punish his get-ups like any other. Tilt, DB or smash his regular get-up or his attack, turn around for his roll, aerial his jump. Balloon Fight under the stage is your cue to run to the other side to get the punish in.

For close-range combat, press your range advantage as much as you can. Villager's attacks come out roughly the same time as yours, but you still have more range than he does, particularly if he attempts a smash. Jab and dsmash come out faster than most of his stuff, but be mindful of dsmash's endlag.

If he puts up a tree, RESPECT the tree. (You can counter the tree, but it's really risky and not particularly practical) If Villager decides to go away from the tree for any reason though, get him away and keep him away from there. For Lloid there's a few options you can do. You can attack it, (and if Villager is on it you can try for a trade) or you can powershield or jump over it if Villager isn't riding it. Or even if he is, so that you can dodge the attack and force Villager to go into freefall at a point to push an advantage against.

Depending how generous you are, I'd estimate this is between 4/6 and 4.5/5.5 Villager. Lucina inherently has a bit of a disadvantage thanks to Villager's greater distance control and ability to set the pace of the match, but she does have some tools that can make the match winnable.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there everyone, today we begin the discussion on the :4shulk: match-up! We will have to go back to the :4villager::4villagerf: match-up in the future.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A lot of Shulk's moves have start-up and end lag, though. There's a match between Kirby (Poyo) and Shulk (MTMaster) and Poyo destroyed MTMaster. Whether or not Kirby is at a disadvantage since people mention how Kirby's approaches are limited - I don't know why - or a skill gap, but Poyo did fine against Shulk despite having a range disadvantage. Lucina/Marth have even more range and they're fast on the ground and air, but they have a larger hit box.

So, in this situation, it's like speed versus range compared to speed versus power (Ike). Shulk and Ike are considered similar in terms of viability, but Shulk's range is better while Ike's power is better.

Punish Shulk's Smashes, Bair, Dair, Uair, Air Slash, Back Slash, and even Counter which you could "slip it" by getting a glancing hit and letting Shulk slide somewhere else.

Beware of his Fair and Nair - it's deceptive and it covers from ground up in contrast to Ike's ground down. Jab combo, Utilt, Dtilt, and Ftilt are fairly fast, but they lack the range his Smashes and other attacks have. Here's a match between a Marth and Shulk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KnW5v8hLI.

This one is involves Lucina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticrhp6u8qw.

Shulk can be mobile even without his Monado Arts' Jump and Speed, but Lucina/Marth are already mobile from the get-go. This is like that one fight of Wolf (Izaw) and Fox (King Funk). Fox is fast, but King Funk for some reason decided to be slower than Izaw which kind of doesn't make sense since Wolf may be agile, but if Fox can outspeed him and harass him, then Wolf could be shutdown. It's like if you were letting Ganondorf be more mobile than you; that's a death sentence.

By the way, I'm not a Shulk main, secondary, etc. I just notice some things about Shulk.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Not related to Shulk, but when you decide to do a Little Mac discussion vs Lucina, hit me up with a PM or message me on my profile and I will be more than willing to help you guys out :p :)
Its pretty much been accepted by a few people down at the Mac forums that Marth/Lucina are hard counters to Mac and I'm trying to get good with Lucina as well :grin:

EDIT: Also, I really like the way you have things set up with the tables and all in the OP. Very clean, easy to find characters..... I'm surprised no one has (as far as I know) adopted this sort of style in their respective character's match up threads :)

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Hey guys, i'm a fellow Shulk main on these boards (he's my primary, so i'm pretty knowledgable on how he works, and what are his strengths/weaknesses against most of the roster), and i was just strolling across the forums for characters that i use on/off as secondaries and the like, so i figure i could spread some knowledge on how to deal with Shulk as Lucina. Granted, i admit that most of the time in these match ups i'm the Shulk rather than Lucina, but i'll try to use my knowledge on Shulk's strengths/weaknesses against Lucina to better help you Lucina mains take him on.

First, i'm going to talk about the edge guarding portion before i get to dealing with Shulk's neutral game. For all intents and purposes, i'm going to talk about Shulk heavily with his Monado Artes, given it's the core/main part of what makes him a viable character and what makes him challenging to deal with, so Normal Shulk (one who doesn't have an arte activated in any point in time) will be touched on, but not often. When i reference his Monado Artes, i'm putting their names in the text in their respective colors to make them easier to identify to those of you who don't know Shulk's buffs that well.

A good Shulk can be tough to edge guard if they use Jump, although they may not always use it due to it being risky for them as they can easily mess up the input and get a diff. arte or do a special early and lose a stock from this. If he's in Jump, there's a pretty good chance he'll return on stage, if he's not using an Arte, it's still somewhat risky to edge guard him as he has more range over Lucina, but if he does try to bat you away when you try to edge guard him, you can easily make sure he stays off stage if you predict and counter his attacks accordingly. Now when Lucina is being edge guarded by Shulk, that's a different story. His range is definitely good for this, and typically when a Shulk gets you off stage and goes into Jump/Smash, they're going in for the kill, and their augmented stats make this really hard to combat. Best thing to do is to air dodge accordingly/counter if you can, as while he is good at this, his attacks are relatively easy to see coming. One last thing, watch out for Dair. Shulk's comes out pretty slow in comparison to other spikes, so if you air dodge too early, you may dodge the first hit, but the second will definitely hit you and KO you. Even if only the second hit lands and it doesn't spike you, it can easily send you flying away from the ledge again and KO you regardless.

Now for combating his Neutral game. Right now i'll go over his basic attacks and combos, and i'll have another section talking specifically on how to deal with the Buffs he gets from the Monado Artes themselves as that will be the biggest obstacle Lucina will have to deal with when fighting him. Given that Shulk has no projectiles, it's obvious that since the two of you are the same in the aspect, you both will have to get up close and personal. Difference is, a good Shulk will utilize his extra range and Monado Artes over you to take you on. His grabs are pretty good and lead into alot of his combos, such as U-Throw into U-Tilt (and even Up special in some cases), D-Throw into F-air (if spaced right), and B-Throw into Back Slash (depending on if Lucina hits the ground after the attack or not). His Tilts are long reaching, U-tilt is great for anti air but cannot hit very well to Shulk's side, D-tilt is another tilt that works well with Grab combos, and Side Tilt is great on his end for pivots and can be used as a viable KO option at higher percents. As Ffamran said above me, Shulk's smashes are strong but very laggy and punishable, most often times if you're fighting a good Shulk, the only Smash attack you'll be able to punish more often not is D-Smash, which has 3 hits that you need to watch out for before Shulk is completely vulnerable to a punish. His F-Smash/U-Smash both have 2 hits if the full attack connects, and the range on them can be used to punish with the second hit if spaced correctly, while D-smash has alot of range and KO power. His Aerials are also ok, U-Air is easy enough to dodge honestly, F-air is a decent approach tool and good for edge guarding, B-air has the most range of the aerials and is one of his KO moves, D-air comes out a bit slow but strong, and N-air is Shulk's best aerial for combos, as he has little landing lag when used in conjunction with fast falling to the ground. His specials are pretty situational overall and laggy. His U-Special is Air Slash, which looks basically like Lucina's dolphin slash, but has a second hit that he can use to deal damage, and can be good for KOs at later percents. Back Slash is pretty laggy and risky for Shulk to use, which is good for punishing him should he use it. It has great range though, so don't underestimate all the time. Neutral B is Monado Artes, which i'll talk about later. And then there's his Down Special, Vision, which is his Counter. It is pretty strong, arguably one of the strongest Counters in the game, and when used with his Monado Artes can do alot of damage/knockback to the opponent, so this is a move you want to watch out for.

Now for the M-Artes. Shulk has 5 of them, and for each strength they give him, they also have an exploitable weakness aswell. Jump gives him amazing speed/manueverability in the air, but really low defense and it's easier to deal alot of damage/KO him in this state. Usually it's used for Recovery, Edge Guarding, or just approaching Lucina with aerials. This typically isnt' good/useful for him on stages with platforms as they stop his approach pretty well, so you might not see this on every stage. Speed gives him, well, speed almost on par with Sonic, but lessens his overall damage output by alot. Usually this'll be used to grab/pivot grab, and is arguably the hardest Arte to combat. Usually this is used at the start of a match to rack up damage from 0-40% with grabs. Best thing to do with this arte is try to avoid him by timing your jumps so at the very least you can dodge his aerials and not get grabbed. Shield gives him great defense and makes him harder to KO, but makes him slower than even Ganondorf. You can exploit this by trying to get him off stage or comboing him due to the low amount of knockback he has in this Arte. Buster lets him deal alooooooot more damage and does less knockback, making ite asier for him to combo. It's typically used either to comeback from the losing side of a match, or immediately after Speed. Shulk takes more damage in this Arte, but not as much as he does in Jump, TBH, best thing to do is try your best to play it safe and not get hit by his attacks, as he can rack up your damage to 90% or so if he overwhelms and combos you. Counter works really well here, as since he does more damage here, the counter calculates that and artificially increases knockback aswell(i think this goes the same for Lucina as it does Shulk, this might only work for Shulk though, so sorry if i'm wrong), so at the very least you'll deal alot of damage back to him along with the knockback. Last is Smash, which greatly increases Shulk's knockback that his attacks do, aswell as the knockback he takes, meaning while it makes it easier for you to KO him, he can be KOed just as easily, making this risky at high percents for him. He'll use this basically when you're at a high percent to land a kill, like if he's going for an off screen KO. Depending on your percent and his percent, you should either:
A) Try to avoid his attacks at all costs, B-air, his Side TIlt (this will be used as a pivot more often for KOs), and smash attacks are his primary KO moves in his Neutral game in this Arte, so you want to watch out for them. Also, WATCH OUT FOR HIS COUNTER. In Smash, counter becomes alot deadlier, one good hit if you're at 70% will KO you.
Or,
B) If Shulk's at a high percent when using this, you can try to KO him before he does the same to you. He's just at risk of being KOed as you are at this point, so you can use the power of his Arte against him with this state.

My overall advice on how to deal with Shulk is be vary of his range and spacing, and try to take advantage of the weaknesses that his Artes give him (although, a good Shulk is typically good at not letting the opponent take advantage of his weaknesses for the most part, so keep this in mind). A good thing to note is that Shulk's not very good at dealing with pressure, so if you can get up in his face and not give him much room to breathe, there's not much he can do, as alot of his attacks are pretty laggy compared to the rest of the cast. Lucina has the advantage when it comes to this, she can attack him quicker than he can attack her when she's up close and in range. Always punish his laggy attacks when you can and take every advantage of his Artes weakness depending on them. When Shulk uses an Arte, he's basically forced to commit to the buffed nature that the Arte gives him (Basically it goes like this: With Jump, Shulk's power is all in his air game now, so he's basically forced to attack with his Aerials for the most part, Speed has him mostly sticking to the ground, Shield has him being defensive and punishing more often, and he's more likely to use Counter to get you off his back. Buster forces him to go all in and get aggressive, so be prepared for that. And Smash has him doing the same as Buster more or less.)

Hope this helps! Sorry that it's so long. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom