• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas, Roy, Ryu (1.0.8) Community Patch Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
For Marth's U-Tilt, any move will move him forward. Or at least Up-Tilt > jab will. Probably because the frame that marth moves back on is after the new IASA.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
So ZeRo keeps posting on twitter that sheik's needles where nerfed hard, when testing I found literally no changes to needles, not on damage, not on end lag, nothing. Looks like ZeRo is switching to Pika for literally no real reason.
The fact that Diddy has been continuously nerfed to the ground is a pretty good reason to swap.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
This is only true for Marth. Lucina doesn't move forward.
Can confirm, just tested out Lucina and she doesn't move one inch. Doesn't take that long to test so there's no reason for me to spend 15 minutes getting a few seconds of footage.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Falcon boards are fairly certain that Down Throw has had its trajectory altered where it sends opponents forward more, making follow-ups almost impossible (and virtually impossible past mid-percentage. This and the Uair nerf has hurt Falcon's combo game immensely.

I've used Marth a lot, but I'm fairly sure that they've buffed up his downward DB combo in terms of damage...it now does 21% consistently, whereas in the past it has done 18-19%. Maybe I keep getting tippers mid attack or am using a different combo than usual. Has it always done this much? I've used it MANY times but I swear it always did less. Anyone with pre-patch that can confirm or debunk would be appreciated.

Edit: When you do a mid-hit instead of a down it does 22%! I swear this is a buff. Am I just insane and have I not paid enough attention in the past or is this the case?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We heard that earlier but some of our testers didn't agree with it conclusively.
Side-by-side testing of it at 999% with dummy on control (no DI inputs) would give us an idea.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Is her ending lag definitely the same?

Could just be a matter of their animations being different (Lucina's steps back earlier in her animation than Marth).
Just tried it out via putting Marth and Lucina in training mode, setting Lucina to the control option and just making them press u-tilt and then shield immediately. They both shield at the same time.

Would you like footage of this? Kind of inconvenient but if you really want it I'll do it.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Has this down throw nerf been tested without DI? Cause I'm pretty sure proper DI always made it difficult to get follow ups with Falcon.
Wondering how dash grabs affect follow-ups as well.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not a change, but rather a lack of one... There's a technique for Pit that cancels the endlag of a whiffed Sspecial completely. It involves sliding off the stage with the special. So, um, either Pit is weird or there's more to the sliding off with specials business.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Yeah I'm positive this "nerf" is just people DI'ing + a patch just came out. I've noticed absolutely no changes and a rudimentary test using an updated wii u and pausing on a prepatch 3DS during the throw animation (so the AI cant do inputs) is showing the same trajectory

Wondering how dash grabs affect follow-ups as well.
Many of Falcons throw combos require throwing right out of the dash grab and buffering an input. Just standing grab down throw is pretty garbage. So if thats the testing method that could also be a problem

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Can anyone confirm if the following changes are true or just placebo?

Falco- F-Smash has changes hitboxes so that it either has a larger sweetspot or greater reach.

Doc- Up Smash sends people at a more horizontal angle than diagonal
- Up B has a larger hitbox and grab range

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Can anyone confirm if the following changes are true or just placebo?

Falco- F-Smash has changes hitboxes so that it either has a larger sweetspot or greater reach.

Doc- Up Smash sends people at a more horizontal angle than diagonal
- Up B has a larger hitbox and grab range
The doc usmash change is from last patch im pretty sure

DudeLove

Smash Rookie
NNID
SoloPunk
3DS FC
4871-6625-5306
Can anyone confirm if Mario's d-throw sends the opponent diagonal, instead of up (making it easier to get out of d-throw to u-tilt combos). And can anyone also confirm if Mario's d-tilt sends the opponent higher vertically. Thanks!

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Can anyone confirm if Mario's d-throw sends the opponent diagonal, instead of up (making it easier to get out of d-throw to u-tilt combos). And can anyone also confirm if Mario's d-tilt sends the opponent higher vertically. Thanks!
I've noticed Mario's downthrow does send them away diagonally more than it did, so I'm certain that this is a change. I have not noticed any change with his up-tilts but I could be wrong. Mario down throw trajectory is definitely changed though.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ FullMoon FullMoon Replace "Before 1.08" with "Before 1.04" and you would've (probably) been right.

Ike's been the manliest swordsman ever since 1.04 though, Sakurai just decided to give him more protein so that more people could maybe notice just how manly and strong he is.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Can someone test the ground of Skyloft for me? I can't seem to phase through the ground during transitions at any of the spots you did before, but I may not be testing it right.

NipahAllDay

Smash Cadet
NNID
NipahEveryDay
3DS FC
1932-5500-1950
Dang it Nintendo, please stop nerfing Sonic's killing option.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
If we get data dumps it'll be interesting, it'll likely be the first actual IASA 'change' thus far. Everything else has been frame rate modifications.
As the only reason he's stepping forward is because he would normally step back into his original position within the last 3 frames of the move, but etc etc.

Actually, so up tilt into ... fsmash (or any move), that doesn't put them more forward?
Wow I never thought of it that way. I just tried it and yes, he moves forward regardless on if you cancel with another Utilt. I went from whiffing Dtilt to Utilt > Dtilt hit confirm

Edit: just realized you guys already tried and confirmed this, still, I experience it, it's a nice thing for range

Edit 2: yeah @ Shaya Shaya considering I first got the new back hit of Utilt > FH Uair combo with Lucina they are definitely the same. I have no idea why Marth only moves forward but what if it has something to do with the fact that Lucina slides with a Perfect Pivot Utilt and Marth doesn't?

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Oh right, Link's Usmash was changed. Thought we noted that. I tested side by side. The hitbox angles were tweaked to place the victim directly above link when struck, rather than straight up. This makes it so that the Usmash will hit with all three swipes when picking up targets to the side of link standing on the ground. Before the patch, they would get popped up in the air by the first swipe, but would be safe from the other two.

Usmash - hitbox alterations for the move to reliably combo all three hits.

I remember one misconception about Usmash from day one that we can ignore. Some people were convinced the first swipe now hits lower targetsto the side of link, but it doesn't. It always hit that low on the first swipe.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Like...are they serious? Ike's Fair hits behind him. I tested it, jokingly wondering if it would. It easily does. Marth's still won't even hit above him (it's missing a frame). What kind of person makes these decisions?

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
I wish they'd buff Pac-Man's grab, so the beam doesnt fail at point blank range, it has a grab box before the beam comes out and the retracting beam has a grab box.

with the removal of hydrant platform, pac got nerfed this patch

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Like...are they serious? Ike's Fair hits behind him. I tested it, jokingly wondering if it would. It easily does. Marth's still won't even hit above him (it's missing a frame). What kind of person makes these decisions?
To be fair (lol see what I did there) Ike's fair is still much slower and is inferior for edgeguarding and pressure. Marth already has Uair, Dair, Bair and Nair to cover himself in all directions. Ike has a much more limited bair, dair and uair in terms of angle coverage so he needs a fair and nair with a huge radius to help him shake off pressure. Be thankful Marth finally got an aerial buff of some kind (nair landing lag reduction). He's slowly getting better too.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm sure Marth's Fair still has a better lower hitbox than Ike's.
And just because I want to mention it, Marth's tipper Fsmash is stronger than Ike's sweetspotted Fsmash in knockback,

WIM

Smash Rookie
NNID
YoungLionFE6
I've used Marth a lot, but I'm fairly sure that they've buffed up his downward DB combo in terms of damage...it now does 21% consistently, whereas in the past it has done 18-19%. Maybe I keep getting tippers mid attack or am using a different combo than usual. Has it always done this much? I've used it MANY times but I swear it always did less. Anyone with pre-patch that can confirm or debunk would be appreciated.

Edit: When you do a mid-hit instead of a down it does 22%! I swear this is a buff. Am I just insane and have I not paid enough attention in the past or is this the case?
Former Marth Main here. I am 99% certain Downward DB always did 21%. I've played A LOT and I'm almost positive you're just imagining things. But like you said someone with a pre patch can confirm/debunk this.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
To be fair (lol see what I did there) Ike's fair is still much slower and is inferior for edgeguarding and pressure. Marth already has Uair, Dair, Bair and Nair to cover himself in all directions. Ike has a much more limited bair, dair and uair in terms of angle coverage so he needs a fair and nair with a huge radius to help him shake off pressure. Be thankful Marth finally got an aerial buff of some kind (nair landing lag reduction). He's slowly getting better too.
You have some good points. But you probably are missing the reason that I'm angry.

I'm angry because the hitboxes don't match the animation. If they changed the animation to make it look like it shouldn't hit on frame 5 then I'd be very happy. Right now it should but doesn't. I have a thing with hitboxes matching animations that's why I will burn myself alive before I ever main Smash 4 Metaknight.

Comparatively, I don't so much complain about Marth's (still good) grab range or (now bad) Dolphin Slash range. I'm more complaining on the whole matching thing (especially since these, including Fair didn't have this issue in Brawl). Severe laziness on Sora's part.

Former Marth Main here. I am 99% certain Downward DB always did 21%. I've played A LOT and I'm almost positive you're just imagining things. But like you said someone with a pre patch can confirm/debunk this.
You're right, it wasn't changed. I have all damage values of Marth's Dancing Blade (and whatever else) memorized. If it was changed I would've reported it within 5 minutes of downloading the patch. All tippers, Marth's Up DB combo can do 21. Forward can do 20. And Down combo can do 26. Note these numbers are all in training, so each hit won't get stale. It's less damage in a real match. Mix and match and Dancing Blade can do 27%.

Anyone know why all hits of Roy's DED do 1% less than Marth's DB? There is literally no difference between the two except meaningless fire. Seems like an odd nerf to Roy to me.

@ Ultinarok Ultinarok So no, same damage.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I can confirm unequivocally that 1.07 3DS Zard jab doesn't true combo on standing Falcon. Jab 1 to Jab 2 resets the combo counter. 1.08 Wii U Zard jab does not reset the combo on standing Falcon. It registers as three consecutive hits. Someone else can test for different patches on the same system, but I think this is pretty conclusive. Shoutout to @Pikabunz for posting about it multiple times, I was convinced this was just placebo because there's just no way Charizard could get three buffs in the same patch.

Zard has a true jab combo now aha ahahahahhahahhahahahahahaaha
and he has a top 5 kill throw now hahahghahgahghahdlkghalgalkdlghalgalgaa

it's a good day to be a bottom tier main

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The OP is still missing Diddy's Dthrow having increased knockback. It's sort of implicit since increasing damage increases knockback due to the knockback formula but his Uthrow's damage is reduced and has the same knockback as it did pre-patch, so Dthrow's knockback increase should be specified.

-------------

Found another minor Greninja buff. In 1.0.7, dashgrabbing someone and pummeling them as both characters slide toward the ledge would cause the victim to be instantly grab released as soon as the pummel animation was over if their feet went off the stage. You couldn't pummel them again or throw them, they would get grab released immediately. Very occasionally, both characters would slide off the stage.

This behaviour meant you had to wait before pummeling someone after hitting with Greninja's dashgrab if you didn't want them to be grab released, because you could pummel them while their feet were off the stage and not have them get grab released, but you could not pummel them while their feet were actually sliding off the stage without them getting grab released.

In 1.0.8, Greninja can pummel his opponent and they will not get grab released as they slide off the stage. They will remain in his grab and they can be pummeled again or thrown. Delaying pummels is no longer necessary. Both characters cannot slide off the stage, either. I hope I have explained this change clearly.

This is probably to do with the universal ledge changes and may affect characters besides Greninja. It's extremely noticeable with him, though.

Last edited:

Safariwisserin

Smash Rookie
NNID
TikaBell
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Falcon boards are fairly certain that Down Throw has had its trajectory altered where it sends opponents forward more, making follow-ups almost impossible (and virtually impossible past mid-percentage. This and the Uair nerf has hurt Falcon's combo game immensely.
I compared the Dair between 3ds1.07 and wiiu1.08 ; I testet it on Mario at 0% and at 100% but i could not see a difference in the trajectory and Mario landed the same distance

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
It feels like Ganon's dair had its endlag reduced and Usmash has earlier IASA. Can anybody confirm?

TriTails

Smash Lord
Comparatively, I don't so much complain about Marth's (still good) grab range or (now bad) Dolphin Slash range. I'm more complaining on the whole matching thing (especially since these, including Fair didn't have this issue in Brawl). Severe laziness on Sora's part.
Yep. Marth grabs me about a character away from his hand just about a while ago. Meanwhile, Dolphin Slash literally has no hitbox at the edge of the sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom