• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's abysmal grabrange

Timbers

check me out
Easily my biggest flaw with him is misjudging how far he can grab...which is about nothing. It's such a terrible downfall to his character.

Am I the only one who feels like *****ing about it? His grabs are so great that it makes me sad you can barely use them effectively.

Lawn

Smash Cadet
If I could change one thing about Luc, that would be it.

His dash grab is pretty horrible, too.

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
He inherited Mewtwo's awful grab range.

It makes me sad.

Would be nice if his normal grab has the same range as the FP grab >_>

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't think its that bad, just look at Marth's!

His standing grab isn't too bad, but his dash grab is definitely one of the worst.

Yes, as a Melee Marth user, I often find myself repeatedly grabbing thin air with Lucario. At least his standing grab is fairly quick, albeit its range being so godawful.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

I dunno, I guess I'm just used to Lucario's grab game. I like all his grabs except down throw lollz.

Melee Marth was too fun, grab everything and forward smash!

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Nah, his grab range isn't so bad. Just get better at grabbing. Also, M2 didn't have poor grab range in melee, it was pretty reasonable.

Timbers

check me out
I'd imagine you're familiar with Lucario's grab range by now Azen =P

It just seems like a harder obstacle for me to overcome than anything else about his character. Was wondering if anyone was feeling the same as I do about it. Or maybe I just rely too much on grabs, who knows. xD

I suppose it doesn't help that I play DDD and ROB as well, both whom have superb grab ranges.

dguy6789 said:
Nah, his grab range isn't so bad. Just get better at grabbing. Also, M2 didn't have poor grab range in melee, it was pretty reasonable.
It actually is one of the worst, lol. I think Ness and two others might be the only characters to have a worse range than his grab.

EDIT: Yeah, ICs, Ness, GaW

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I like all his grabs except down throw lollz.
See, thats my favourite throw right there: dthrow to aerials. Sometimes I mix it up with uthrow also. Generally the only times I use fthrow and bthrow, though, are if they will get someone off the stage; not a big fan of them.

Dunno why you don't like dthrow.

Timbers

check me out
Bthrow and Fthrow set up for edgeguards, I can see why he'd choose those over dthrow..a throw that can be DI'd and escaped from further pursuit so easily.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

I used to use dthrow a lot until I found out uthrow has a lot less knockback and easier to combo in every way. And his side throws are pretty good too, especially if you can get your opponent to DI incorrectly it can kill.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, fthrow and bthrow are my most used throws. My main strategy with Lucario is to just get them off the edge and start up the aura sphere mindgames. Bair to turn-around aura sphere is too good.

Fthrow is so frickin' fast. I swear, it's gotta be the fastest throw in the game.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
If you use z to throw while running, that's gonna be a problem, using L/R+A to dashgrab has a longer range iirc, at least i hope it does because that's how i do it. Uthrow is my least used throw just because i played DDD at the start of brawl during SSE and for a little bit after and got WAY to used to grab then dthrow. Bthrow is by far my favorite though because it has a decent trajectory.

Edit: 100th post!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can't really complain about Lucario's grab range. Maybe I'm just used to it from maining Pika in melee. However, it just doesn't seem like a perticularly significant factor to me.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Lucario's piss poor grab range is such a shame given his good throws. I don't grab much though with Luc, maybe the terrible grab range contributes to it.

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
I have found that using the FP grab early in games will make people spot dodge or shield later on when they think you are going to grab. At that point i will use a regular grab and go into an up throw combo or off ledge guard.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I dunno, I'm not really into the Upthrow... I never seem to get anything out of it...

Lucario's grab range is bad, but it's soooo easy to punish laggy attacks *Cough* Wolf *Cough*.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I don't use throws much in matches

The Z button is as far out of the way as the L and R buttons, which is why I don't use sheilds either!

If you don't like the throws so much, why use them? They're weak anyway!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I don't use throws much in matches

The Z button is as far out of the way as the L and R buttons, which is why I don't use sheilds either!

If you don't like the throws so much, why use them? They're weak anyway!
:\

What the hell do you use as a controller? A pickle with nubs?

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Yes

jk

GC controller

It's just that I keep my hands on the controller's surface so to have better access to the buttons, while resting the controller down, most often on my lap. I pinch the control stick between my left thumb and index finger to prevent slipping, and use the X and Y buttons to jump.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Yes

jk

GC controller

It's just that I keep my hands on the controller's surface so to have better access to the buttons, while resting the controller down, most often on my lap. I pinch the control stick between my left thumb and index finger to prevent slipping, and use the X and Y buttons to jump.
...You have a very weird finger placement and it will no doubt harm you in the future if you never shield. =\

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
i dont have too much to complain about lucarios grab cuz i like to shieldgrab a lot... about trying to dashgrab... ya the range sucks but i dont really care.

about the throws: i like the side throws better than any other... i used to dthrow but every time i do it someone was air dodging my fair/nair so ...ya it sucks

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
It still isn't. It does equal knockback at higher %. It's only a good option at near 0%, due to the fact that it does less damage at full Aura than Dthrow does at 0%.
Yet it sets you up for way more combos than Dthrow does :/ its also harder to DI.

You can do a lot of stuff to fast fallers.

Top Bottom