• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's abysmal grabrange

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I feel like playing DDD makes me better at grabbing. I rarely miss a grab when I want one, probably cuz I'm used to punishing everything with a grab.

Timbers

check me out
Uthrow has a higher success in combo potential. It can be easily airdodged as well as the dthrow. I personally prefer the guaranteed 6% from dthrow, but whatever works.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Follow their DI.

If they DI forwards, Fair.

If they DI back, Uair.
If they DI forwards, it goes too far, and you can't reach them with any attack.

I tested this with a friend and told him to DI back first. No problems there. Then I told him to DI away, and he was way to far to hit with any aerial. I even tried it with Snake and he was still able to DI across half the stage :/
See?

I still try to use down throw a lot, especially when you put them in a position where they'll have to DI over the edge of the stage. However, Uthrow is better for combo trapping when you're at higher percents yourself.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
and what happens when someone DIs back while airdodging... then theres no point in dthrow. i actually prefer doing backthrow and then pseudo sticking an AS cause when someone in sent backwards they tend to roll in that direction cause they are afraid of teching towards u and getting a fsmash in the face. In that way if they dont roll forward they will get hit by the AS.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Uthrow has a higher success in combo potential. It can be easily airdodged as well as the dthrow. I personally prefer the guaranteed 6% from dthrow, but whatever works.
dthrow's a guaranteed 10%

The reason downthrow is technically better for chasing is that there's less lag on Lucario after the throw, meaning you can follow the opponent up. However, they can DI forwards to escape your range.

With up throw, the opponent will most always have to choose between eating an uptilt or jumping, which is nice. But in a way, it doesn't guarantee a hit and all comes down to mindgames.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
and what happens when someone DIs back while airdodging... then theres no point in dthrow. i actually prefer doing backthrow and then pseudo sticking an AS cause when someone in sent backwards they tend to roll in that direction cause they are afraid of teching towards u and getting a fsmash in the face. In that way if they dont roll forward they will get hit by the AS.
If someone does that, you can just jump straight up and use Fair anyway, since DI'ng down throw back just leads to the opponent going vertical, and Fair's hitbox goes quite high over Lucario's head.

The cool thing about downthrow is that even if they dodge, you can still hit them because of the way that Fair works, with the lingering hitboxes and lack of lag this attack has.

Timbers

check me out
dthrow's a guaranteed 10%

The reason downthrow is technically better for chasing is that there's less lag on Lucario after the throw, meaning you can follow the opponent up. However, they can DI forwards to escape your range.

With up throw, the opponent will most always have to choose between eating an uptilt or jumping, which is nice. But in a way, it doesn't guarantee a hit and all comes down to mindgames.
I meant the additional 6% over uthrow. Uthrow at 0% is 4%. At 50% it's like 5% or something. I guess I should have clarified that.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
mmm it is very annoying but its nothing to really complain about eh? it cant b changed and practice practice practice will mean that u will use ur grab better. more importantly i think its a good thing in some ways so it teaches u not to spam the one grab and not to take them 4 granted, but with training i dont think that its anything to worry about to be honest.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion

If someone does that, you can just jump straight up and use Fair anyway, since DI'ng down throw back just leads to the opponent going vertical, and Fair's hitbox goes quite high over Lucario's head.

The cool thing about downthrow is that even if they dodge, you can still hit them because of the way that Fair works, with the lingering hitboxes and lack of lag this attack has.
yer i agree with this, disjointed and lingering hit boxes make lucario the character he is and develop every1's playing styles with him.
but yer fair handy always wen trying to juggle after uthrow or dthrow.
cheers guys.

Top Bottom