• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Actually not even my quote.

Though, I've said that Lucario gets benefited from being a punching bag then abusing rage/aura to sweep the match. You don't have to actually play the neutral most of the match, just focus on what can kill you or not. Lucario is vastly different from this game than he was in Brawl, where I much liked his design from a playing standpoint and as a opponent, too. Doesn't help that neither Junebug or Trela like current Lucario.

I literally won't care.
When are you going to play Lucario on For Glory?

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
lol your view on lucario is so wrong and narrow minded

cant expect people who dont know his general playstyle to understand him though

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario's aura buffed him more in the 3DS days when no one could space against him properly and everyone ate stray attacks.

@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo is right about lucario being **** design (or at least worse for the game than brawl lucario, who was honest as hell). I don't understand how anyone can like a character with such a hugely inconsistent reward. It's frustrating and stressful to have every single one of my sets come down to last hit situations so frequently simply because my character doesn't feel like hitting back until he's about to die. There are a lot of things to like about lucario's neutral and the way he operates, but aura + rage completely ruins that. Yeah zero was quoted saying something stupid a long time ago, we all say dumb **** when we're salty sometimes, but the rest of us aren't under a microscope. It's legit a struggle for me to continue to use this character because on one hand I LOVE lucario himself and his game flow is very fun and exciting for me, but on the other hand, rage + aura is a completely toxic and stupid mechanic. When it doesn't benefit me I feel like I'm playing a garbage character. and when **** like http://gfycat.com/UltimatePreciousBlackbird happens I truly don't feel like I earned it, because if the circumstances were slightly different (If I made that same read fight after losing a stock) the reward would have been ASTRONOMICALLY different. Yeah Aura + Rage allows you to do some nifty conditioning tricks so you get the reads when they count but to me that doesn't compensate for how much damage it does to his play pattern and healthiness for the game

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I agree with Steam on this. When people go all "assdcjahbbq his aura is OP!", my first instinct is to tell them to can it and that he has his own problems to deal with, but there's always this small part of me that feels silly do to how overkill the mechanic is when fluxing from little girl kill power to Armageddon levels that make Ganondorf jelly. I mean I love the living hell out of the character too and its hilarious concept,but jaysus, its all over the place. If it was evened out, we could hurt people at low damage and people wouldn't die horrifically early unless they let him live until the stupid SSJ levels where its their fault. Also rage in general is kinda silly to be honest. Defiantly sucks when some those salty comments Lucario actually hold a little bit of water from time to time:|

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Lucario's aura buffed him more in the 3DS days when no one could space against him properly and everyone ate stray attacks.

@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo is right about lucario being **** design (or at least worse for the game than brawl lucario, who was honest as hell). I don't understand how anyone can like a character with such a hugely inconsistent reward. It's frustrating and stressful to have every single one of my sets come down to last hit situations so frequently simply because my character doesn't feel like hitting back until he's about to die. There are a lot of things to like about lucario's neutral and the way he operates, but aura + rage completely ruins that. Yeah zero was quoted saying something stupid a long time ago, we all say dumb **** when we're salty sometimes, but the rest of us aren't under a microscope. It's legit a struggle for me to continue to use this character because on one hand I LOVE lucario himself and his game flow is very fun and exciting for me, but on the other hand, rage + aura is a completely toxic and stupid mechanic. When it doesn't benefit me I feel like I'm playing a garbage character. and when **** like http://gfycat.com/UltimatePreciousBlackbird happens I truly don't feel like I earned it, because if the circumstances were slightly different (If I made that same read fight after losing a stock) the reward would have been ASTRONOMICALLY different. Yeah Aura + Rage allows you to do some nifty conditioning tricks so you get the reads when they count but to me that doesn't compensate for how much damage it does to his play pattern and healthiness for the game
Thank you for actually considering my point. This is very similar to what I was trying to convey.

Like questioning/insulting my persona doesn't actually contribute to the discussion. It's really easy to just grab super old comments and throw crap at me without much objective. I wouldn't say I converted my thoughts with the correct words, but the feeling behind my words (I don't like Lucario's design in this game) still stands. Even the best Brawl lucario's agree with me.

When are you going to play Lucario on For Glory?
Eventually.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucario is fun until you get pressured by random characters with good mobility or aerials...then it stops being fun. :(

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Whaaaaat the ****
I just came here to talk about fluffy stuff...

@ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo I doubt many Lucarios actually disagree with your veiwpoints on "aura." Lucario is no longer the iron wall of lingering hitboxes that he was in brawl, and a lot of brawlcarios took it hard and not all were able to convert to how he plays now. He's a completely different character now with roughly nerfed range and very in and out hitboxes that take precision to hit with. The further polarization of aura also makes a lot of our hits feel like piss in the wind at low percent and like a ****ing freight train at high percent.

I, along with a lot of Lucario would much rather have a static damage and knockback ratio. You arn't wrong there. With that said.

Though, I've said that Lucario gets benefited from being a punching bag then abusing rage/aura to sweep the match. You don't have to actually play the neutral most of the match, just focus on what can kill you or not. Lucario is vastly different from this game than he was in Brawl, where I much liked his design from a playing standpoint and as a opponent, too. Doesn't help that neither Junebug or Trela like current Lucario.
...This is the misinformation that peeves a lot of us. Ha!
Lucario isn't as helpless as most perceive he is in the neutral game. To be honest he's still a mess of hitbox that can shut down a lot of other characters nuetral and contest just fine with a lot of the upper tiers, but as Kami said, I don't hold it against you, as hardly anyone has come across the Lucarios that actually play this character right or our profiecient with the tech i'm talking about. Give or take, i'd say there's roughly 5 that actually do, and tbh we keep it underwraps. I get SO much ****ing milage out of no one knowing how to space against this guy it's stupid. The Lucarios from brawl who actually stuck with this guy had to discover some new tech to make him viable and I believe it worked. The future of our meta is looking pretty good.

I rather not say too much though.
**** you might already know, but talk to m2k. I played him last month at a Nebraska tournament, and took a game off of him. I'm not the best, but i'm one of the few that actually plays this character right. Later he was apparently talking about how stupid lucario was as he too was unaware of what he was capable of, and my team mate kiiiinda spilled more of the beans on him then i'd like but...

If you can't take my word for it take his. "Aura" is not where our benefits end and I believe he'll remember. My fundementals are still greenhorn as hell in comparison, but he should know. <3

Now there are SOME match ups that exist where he does just kinda gets bopped and then cruises through because his opponent can't finish the job. Fox and Shiek are good examples, but those are more so the weaknesses of fox and shiek themselves. Overwhelming nuetral game, but without the luxury of being able to hitconfirm without a read like Luigi or Old School diddy could do. You said something along the lines of "All lucario has to do is recognize what KO's and what doesn't" as well but that too is just something everyone should fundamentally know regardless of character choice.

You'll be coming to Colorado soon yeah~?
I'll be glad to talk about it then~ It's really interesting ****. Just don't go saying too much okay? >w>
I was talking to a friend actually~ About getting to play you. He's not in the competitive scene, but I basically said " he's the scarf man!" and that ringed a bell, and he said it's kinda like playing against celebrity. You have that kinda effect on people man.

I don't think all these personal attacks on you are justified. Because, holy shiiiiit, people would think i'm a ****ing scumbag if my actions we're put under a magnifying glass. but with that said...

I know you already apologized to those in the Colorado group, but please try to understand a lot of lucarios harbor some resentment because you DO have a following, and a lot of lower level players take your word very seriously. We caught a lot of unnecessary flack and disrespect because of it in the early days, when In reallity it takes a lot of work to actually GO places with this character, but people will always see the benefits of aura over the downfall of having our hard reads not mean **** at low percent. You're an amazing player, who's fundamentals a lot of people simply can't match, but until you're playing someone who is putting there tournament life on this character and doing work with him, I think your full understanding of him may be off. Like, we trust our character because he is more then just aura. B)

(mostly because he's a kyute fluff doge though)

I just don't want anymore misinformation spread about this guy or his players.
but
I suppose that goes hand in hand with not wanting to reveal ****. LMAO.

Apologies for the lengthy read dude. but word. I hope you can respect that, and I formally apologize for all the **** you get for people not really humanizing you and understanding the pressure that comes along with being someone as well known both in and out of the smash community. You, and your scarf, don't deserve the personal attacks. = w=

Last edited:

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Lucario is fun until you get pressured by random characters with good mobility or aerials...then it stops being fun. :(
My roommate mains Sheik and only plays her. Its so anti-fun getting tossed around until 100+ % and then killing her with force palm or something.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
I don' think there is a single Lucario main that actually like the aura mechanic as it is, so those who say we main Lucario because it's the only character we can win matches with are dead wrong lol. I'm sure if we mained top tiers we would do indefinitely better (My win rate on FG with Falcon is like 30% higher, personally).

Aura holds so much back from making our kit actually fluid without resorting to high skill-floor movement options to actually preform well against good players. They can't give us a fast move set because of the potential kill-power of the moves at high aura, which totally goes against how the character looks like he should play.

_D._

Smash Apprentice
What are you guys talking about even with rage/ aura were not even top 15 in the game

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
What are you guys talking about even with rage/ aura were not even top 15 in the game
ASC to Jump Cancel USmash probably makes us barely top 15. If all Lucarios tried to lab and perfect Wavebouncing and BReversing... Tremendous potential with that.

So there are 4 frames between ASC hits. Think about how that traps someone shielding or getting up at the ledge. To jump is like 4-5 frames, grabs are at best 6 frames, so if you take reaction into account we can put a lot of pressure on a shield and we may get a SH BAir if they sit in it too long.

We might not be top 15 with customs though...

RageShadows

Smash Rookie
To main lucario takes more skill than most of the other characters. You need to know your opponents play style if you want any hope of landing a kill move (on a good player) and a ton of movement techs/ set ups so you don't get destroyed.

Croi

Smash Lord
Had a tourney in my region, but four hours away, last Saturday. Came in second. Won a New Nintendo 3DS, first prize was a Wii U.

I went Lucario sporadically because he wasn't really feeling on top of his game. When I dropped a game to a Wario when I absolutely should not have, I switched to Duck Hunt for the rest and cruised my way to Grand Finals winner's side.

And then I got bopped by ROB. Why can't I beat ROB.

Then on Sunday I had a more local local. It was a Round Robin and it wasn't for anything other than bragging rights, so I went Mewtwo all day. Only lost to a Mii Brawler (Helicopter Kick has a ton of mobility and kept tripping me up) and some fresh Lucina (customs are legal here and apparently Crescent Slash kills at 40).

My Lucario's been getting sloppy and neglected. Probably going to have to run some tests in the lab some more.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Actually not even my quote.

I literally won't care.
I only had a problem with your thoughts on him when you said this, https://twitter.com/zerossb/status/529048822555869184

Because you attacked the players and not actually talking about the mechanic itself. I felt that was disrespectful. Calling the mechanic bad would have been ok, calling the players bad and then blowing off the hypocracy people called you out on was where I got kind of mad back been.

But, w/e it's under the bridge and it's better to just talk about it like Steam and you did here.

~

Real talk, I think with Rage existing and Aura being overturned is the only things I can see being an issue with it, but I agree with Croi's article a lot.

Also lol I can hear Raziek calling it a "fair and balanced mechanic"

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
It feels like they programmed Lucario in before deciding to add rage in my opinion.

You would think we would get more UThrow combos at mid percents.

Dear Nintendo please make Lucario's DThrow actually combo into something or make it not worthless. I know some companies pay people to peruse fansites to look for feedback.

Y'know what I sent a trouble ticket in for Pokemon because they had accidentally banned Wide Guard Swampert for Global Link use. Within a few days it was unbanned...

I wonder if Nintendo might listen to what we have to say for this game...

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Dear Nintendo please make Lucario's DThrow actually combo into something or make it not worthless. I know some companies pay people to peruse fansites to look for feedback.

I wonder if Nintendo might listen to what we have to say for this game...
I really doubt it, I mean, they could answer and stuff, but Lucario isn't the only one with a thrash throw.
If they do fix it, they'll have to repair other fighters too.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Unless you live in Japan, you are wasting your time and words.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Unless you live in Japan, you are wasting your time and words.
Funny, could've swore US sales numbers of the Wii-U version were almost equal, if not higher than Japan's.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That doesn't matter since they only care about Japan overall. You can think otherwise if you want.

Timbah

Smash Cadet
It may just be the case that I play with scrubs, but if you're at kill percent, I've found DThrow to be a great setup for an U-air kill if you can bait an airdodge/counter by jumping after them and waiting. Specially useful if you've been combo-ing out of UThrow all game, because their immediate reaction might well be to airdodge.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Aaaaand like that I offiically main 3 pokemon... I tried not to. I really did. Greninja, why you so fun :ohwell:

:006:

Oh and Lucario's ftilt is amazing. I've started using that more along with Fairs and I've been keeping a fully charged Aura sphere on deck whenever possible. Lucario is really starting to feel like a fun/solid character now

Well... he was always fun, but now I'm acutally starting to win with him :p

Top Bottom