• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Stigmata

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thorizard10
3DS FC
3652-1600-9459
So question: is anyone actually winning anywhere with Lucario? I haven't heard anything from big regions about him except for Junebug in Winners SemiQuarters every now and then at Xanadu. Where are the Lucs?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Keep in mind, Lucario is not a popular competitive character choice overall.

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
So if I may ask, who are some Lucario mains that I should watch for picking up tips/tricks? I know of Apologyman who's in my area, and seeing how I watch a lot of VGBootCamp I already watch a lot of Junebug. Any others I should take to in the form of Senpai?

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I'm ranked 2nd on the Finnish PR too (Forre being 10th) and placed at least 2nd on every tourney I've attended (won the last one). Still, Finland hasn't got that much high level competition going on yet and we've got tournaments only once a month at best.

On another note, I drew our PR list!

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
That medal on the chest spike cracked me up, but I'll definitely take a look of whatever you have as far as videos. As I'm sure every Lucario main wants, but I want to pierce the heavens with my spikes and aim for the best. However, I'm currently on the ground and will need to build up over and over to get there as far as skill! :D

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
Also, I'm sorry for asking, but what does PR mean? Being new to the tourney scene, I don't know all the terminology.

Croi

Smash Lord
It means "power ranking." Your ranking determines how well you stack up against others in your given region. Basically, what I meant was that I'm the best on my block.

Stigmata

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thorizard10
3DS FC
3652-1600-9459
Thanks for replying guys. I know Lucario isn't a super popular character, but he is very good. Granted he goes down with every tier list that gets released unfortunately

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
We don't have a PR system on my homeland, but I can say I'm one of the best players here.
And maybe the only Lucario player in my region =(

:133:

Last edited:

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
Well I'm aiming to be one of, if not the best Lucario in the NorCal region. I realize I'll have to compete against apologyman, but I want to bring glory to the aura dog and all who main him.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I might be the best lucario in the Kansas City area? Not to say I'm good I just don't see any others ever lolol.

Probably up there Link wise but most of the links I see just aren't ok at the game in general

Lange

Smash Journeyman
I just wonder since I play Lucario on the side but he isn't my main, why is he underrated and so overlooked? I hardly see anyone at all using him even though I personally think he's top 20 in the game making B tier. The aura and rage mechanic is insane and doesn't seem to have many bad matchups and debatable has a good matchup with the #1 character Sheik. All these things make him solid overall but popularity and competitively he seems ignored. Just wondering what you all may think. Thanks

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
My brother could definitely make it to the pr in my region if it wasn't for the fact that he loses his motivation easily. .-.

He could be the best Lucario here because no one plays him, but I believe there is another player.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
I just wonder since I play Lucario on the side but he isn't my main, why is he underrated and so overlooked? I hardly see anyone at all using him even though I personally think he's top 20 in the game making B tier. The aura and rage mechanic is insane and doesn't seem to have many bad matchups and debatable has a good matchup with the #1 character Sheik. All these things make him solid overall but popularity and competitively he seems ignored. Just wondering what you all may think. Thanks
Steep learning curve.

Honestly Lucario being so uncommon is the reason I picked up the character in the first place. That and I wanted the difficult challenge of learning a new character.

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Many people have probably tried him out and noticed aura (Lucario's #1 trademark) is really strong and expecting it just to carry them through tournaments with only a small investiment in understanding his moveset. After getting destroyed, people just think that it doesn't work well enough and doesn't by itself make Lucario good which "is all he's got". He may seem quite overpowered at first vs. beginners, so the inevitable downhill of realizing aura doesn't carry and trying to climb up from that nasty pit may be just too much for players to handle. His moveset demands high precision to not feel overwhelmed vs. the faster and stronger characters which leads to switches to characters with quicker results.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Many people have probably tried him out and noticed aura (Lucarios #1 trademark) is really strong and expecting it just to carry them through tournaments with only a small investiment in understanding his moveset. After getting destroyed, people just think that it doesn't work well enough and doesn't by itself make Lucario good which "is all he's got". He may seem quite overpowered at first vs. beginners, so the inevitable downhill of realizing aura doesn't carry and trying to climb up from that nasty pit may be just too much for players to handle. His moveset demands high precision to not feel overwhelmed vs. the faster and stronger characters which leads to switches to characters with quicker results.
This.

They also probably have no motivation to start using him and develop his meta because they don't know how well he places in tournaments and they probably haven't seen any good Lucario players so they assume that he's not worth it.

Imo out of all the characters, Lucario is under everyone's radar the most.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
This.

They also probably have no motivation to start using him and develop his meta because they don't know how well he places in tournaments and they probably haven't seen any good Lucario players so they assume that he's not worth it.

Imo out of all the characters, Lucario is under everyone's radar the most.
I dunno. I say Olimar is the most under the radar.

But that's more of a case in which people forget he's a character, then freak out when facing them because next to no one knows the MU...

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I dunno. I say Olimar is the most under the radar.

But that's more of a case in which people forget he's a character, then freak out when facing them because next to no one knows the MU...
I feel that more people know about Olimar because players like Dabuz use him. Most people don't even know any Lucario players.

But in terms of MU inexperience, Olimar wins by a landslide with his small hurtbox and Pikmin gimmick. Lucario's gimmick is much more straightforward.

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
In my region, I know we have quite a few Olimars. I'm pretty sure it's due to the Dabuzz hype. Granted, it's not as big as the more commonly played characters, but there's a prevalent Olimar community in NorCal. In comparison there's only a couple Lucario mains here (Apologyman and I).

Moondowner

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moondowner
3DS FC
0748-4199-9030
It's a reasonable one, though. The more a character is played, the more exposure people have and less surprise factor we hold. Keeping a low profile as Lucarios allows for us to pull off what people don't expect.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'd tell Lucario secrets, but no one cares anyways.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No, I mean I tell Lucario stuff to my local scene but no one cares. And rightly so.

Top Bottom