• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Lucario Match-Up Chart/Discussion- Rotation Eighteen: Olimar~

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
This topic like.. completely nullifies the matchup information in the guide. D= h8 Jeepy so much.

I shall contribute to the Mario discussion.

Marios love shielding attacks and countering, not with a sheild grab, but with one of their aerails. Bair, Nair, and uair all work great for them which can lead to combos or fireball pressure. Keep your spacing so that they can't reciprocate on you with an aerial, or just don't get blocked. =D

Versus a Cape-Happy Mario that loves to gimp your ExtremeSpeed, don't wait to line up to the ledge and straight-shoot it. Start above and curve down into the ledge. It'll throw the Mario off once or twice. Either that or recover above the stage if you have to. Don't just give the Mario the gimp. Fall down further and go for the wall. Heck, throw a sphere at the ledge before you ExtremeSpeed it and the Mario will have to either take the hit and get stage spiked or cape the sphere and recover, leaving you with a second to decide where to go.

XD Sorry.

Also, your info is appreciated, and added.

Alliterations are awesome.

This week's almost done, people! Donkey Kong is up next.

PSYCHE

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, I just got back from playing this crazy Mario named AUX, and I friggin got my butt kicked! Has anyone here even played a good Mario? I seriously think it is a disadvantage.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Waa!!
We where sooo close to going to DK, Then PSYCHE here had to change it on us.
great job. (smiles)

Its a close tie over all, but skill is always a factor. And based on your story, he was very skillful.
-t2

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I've played against someone who mained Mario very well in Melee and playes a mean Mario in Brawl. A good Lucario will keep Mario at a distance but on the other hand, a good Mario will use his speed and priority to his advantage. My friend has kicked my *** but I've done the same to him, I'm still convinced it comes down to player skill in the end.

Mabo

Smash Rookie
Mario is advantageous against Lucario because he is Luigi's brother... and Luigi is a pimp...

But seriously, I beleive it's neutral. Maybe a little in Lucario's favor.

Timbers

check me out
Seriously, I just got back from playing this crazy Mario named AUX, and I friggin got my butt kicked! Has anyone here even played a good Mario? I seriously think it is a disadvantage.
It just sounds like you played someone who can outplay you, not just character matchup. As said, it's a very close match.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
AUX has got teh crazy mindgamez. I think we can all agree that Lucario vs. Mario is neutral, unless you've got anything to prove that it is in Mario's favor.

What I really want to know is if there is anything that I need to add to the Mario section. The more the merrier.

Mabo

Smash Rookie
I was looking at other match-up discussions and they have sections with videos showing the two debated characters goin' at it. The videos would showcase why the match-up is advantageous, neutral, or disadvantageous, or it could just show how to beat that character.

You should do this. Whoever has any good Lucario Vs. Mario vids or has seen any should post 'em.

rayecho

Smash Ace
I was wondering about how the first post had the disadvantages and advantages. Was any of that stage dependent?

Milln

Smash Champion
I was wondering about how the first post had the disadvantages and advantages. Was any of that stage dependent?
Why did you initially put disadvantages on the people you did? Just because they can absorb/reflect/block Aura Sphere easily?

I also don't understand why we're at a disadvantage to Marth and Meta Knight and Toon Link.
Seriously. I'm lost there, too.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Did.... you just quote yourself? Either way I guess it was figured that we should have something to start with in the first post instead of a long list of ?'s. Disadvantage against Marth I'm inclined to agree with though, but it's not that week yet so! It seems the majority of us agree that Mario is neutral o.O

tedward2000

Smash Champion
And to end the discussion of Mario.
We have decided the match up of Lucario vs. Mario as neutral.

I say, our first time, we did pretty darn well.
Onward to DK!
(seriously, If anyone else pops up and disagrees that mario isn't neutral, Im going to have to slap them. We spent a week on this people, its over!)
-t2

Timbers

check me out
Seriously. I'm lost there, too.
I'm on the fence with Marth and TL. Any character that has a great aerial game can shut down Lucario pretty well. I don't really care so much about MK, as you can reap aura boost. TL and Marth have some nasty kill moves though, and their aerial games are quite nice. Plus TL's uair has a huge lingering hitbox, and outranges your dair (I believe? Someone correct me on this if need be) Marth is marth. His air game is painful. I haven't played enough TLs to give an accurate depiction on the match, but Marth is just a pain. Any character that can shut down your aerial game like that is just..blah. I have no troubles with MK. I'm not sure why, really. Maybe I feel more inclined to camp the bugger than I am against Marth.

But I'll leave that there. I keep forgetting that the thread is character specific, but I wanted to leave my opinion on the matter ._.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking that, in order to end confusion and keep a semi-finished list from being released or referenced to, you should probably upload that list again and then update it as we go by each week's discussion...call it a work in progress. This will prevent the current list from having any impact while we are discussing and it will also keep people from arguing matchups that aren't set for the week.

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
For all of those who are still on the fence on what to think about Mario, hopefully this video will show you just how evil Mario can be.

My final verdict on the Mario Match up is.... Neutral

PS: Note now none of those videos chose to use Lucario to beat on for their video ^_^;;; too scared I guess

PSS: What out for Mario's Down Smash... it is deadly.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
What does everyone think? Shall we have a blank chart and fill it in once we get to that week? I thought it might be more helpful to have them filled, but I'm willing to change it if people think I should.

Milln, most of the chart came from IvanEva's chart and other Lucario match-up posts concerning Lucario, although some of them were my opinion.

Thanks, O.W.A. for the video! It will be added.

Also, Donkey Kong tomorrow! *giggles excitedly*

tedward2000

Smash Champion
What does everyone think? Shall we have a blank chart and fill it in once we get to that week? I thought it might be more helpful to have them filled, but I'm willing to change it if people think I should.

Milln, most of the chart came from IvanEva's chart and other Lucario match-up posts concerning Lucario, although some of them were my opinion.

Thanks, O.W.A. for the video! It will be added.

Also, Donkey Kong tomorrow! *giggles excitedly*
We should have both charts.
the one chart refilled is "from IvanEva's chart and other Lucario match-up posts concerning Lucario, although some of them were my opinion."

And the other chart is our analysis. Right now, it would only have mario.

You know to compare. =)
-t2

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
I think the chart should be "filled" but with what we discuss.

So if we discussed it and finished the discussion.. fill it in. If we haven't leave something that symbolizes "Not discussed yet"

But I feel there should be only one chart... since the point of this thread is to make the finalized chart our chart is the one that will matter.

PSYCHE

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* fine, jeeze, Lucario vs. Mario = neutral.

*runs away crying, slams bedroom door*

Timbers

check me out
For all of those who are still on the fence on what to think about Mario, hopefully this video will show you just how evil Mario can be.

My final verdict on the Mario Match up is.... Neutral

PS: Note now none of those videos chose to use Lucario to beat on for their video ^_^;;; too scared I guess

PSS: What out for Mario's Down Smash... it is deadly.
Heh. A good thing for Lucario though, is that he's pretty floaty and can't get chained nearly as bad as the characters in that video. Plus, Lucario's dair is going to give a Mario trouble if they try uair juggling. But yeah, neutral definitely. 50:50

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Lucario's dair prevents most combo's attempted on Lucario =P

*sigh* fine, jeeze, Lucario vs. Mario = neutral.

*runs away crying, slams bedroom door*
Take the defeat gracefully knowing that you're a Lucario user, it just makes you stronger! =D

To be fair though most of us haven't played a good Mario main, in fact, there aren't really that many Mario mains =S

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I play with one of the best Mario mains there is on a regular basis. Lucario does hold a slight advantage, but calling the matchup neutral is reasonable because it can go either way.

Timbers

check me out
Lucario's dair prevents most combo's attempted on Lucario =P
Yeah. That's why I dislike TL so much, though. He can keep the combos going with nair and bair, both which outrange your nair and fair. Coupled with the fact that his usmash and uair have larger disjointed hitboxes than your dair, it makes it a really hard matchup. But I'll hold my tongue on that until later on when we get to TL.

PSYCHE

Smash Apprentice
Ok, after carefully reading through this, I can see why it is a nuetral match. Ill try some of this stuff on AUX next time we play.

Major props to Jeeps, and everyone else who contributed. I can see this being very useful. ^.^

Timbers

check me out
I'm pretty sure Toon's uair is beaten by our Dair, but not Adult Link's uair. oo
I had it where I knicked him (the orange sparks) and was hit by the uair simutaneously :\ Maybe there's a way to stay away from the tip while hitting them out of it or something, but it does have potential to have a greater reach than the dair.

Milln

Smash Champion
Did you do it right when it came out? Their uairs have more range when they just press the button.

Milln

Smash Champion
Hmmm. =o Try when they just thrust it out. Either you hit them before it's fully extended, or i've been having flukes.

(This sound strangely phallic)

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucario and DK are pretty even, although DK has no long range he can also has equal(or more) range then lucario and he is defintly stronger. I think Lucario would win this match because his long range can own Donkeykong esecially because he has nothing to prevent it (exept try to dodge) and lucario juust owns... :D

Browny

Smash Hater
lol, this wont end well

in be4 itsthebigfoot.

anyway lucario can abuse his advantages too much in this match up. DK has to approach, and lucario can camp with Aura sphere and b-air. nothing DK has can go through that. he is completely outranged in the air and again, with the whole forcing DK to approach, lucario can take the fight to the air at every opportunity to give DK a lot of trouble.

Avoid using smash attacks for no reason and DK shouldnt be able to KO until well beyond 100%. normally this is a problem against characters without powerful aerial finishers, not for lucario. who also happens to be packing a projectile than can KO just as effectively as his smashes. dks finishers are slow and predictable, and without an aerial finisher than can beat any of lucarios, hes got too many disadvantages here.

then of course theres the whole combo part, lucario can chain utilts, fairs, uairs etc with no trouble at all against someone as large as DK. id say advantage for lucario.

and ffs before itsthebigfoot posts here, what did you expect on a lucario board. im sure if i went to the DK boards id see some bias there too.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Expect a lot of Bair while Kongs in the air with nair sometimes.all are outranged by the Hadou hitboxes ^_^and I'm pretty sure our Dair beats his Upair too so we pretty much have Air vs Air covered.

ground vs ground we have an even opponent...... if we dun camp X)
his tilts and smashs more-or-less have the same range as ours(and his Dsmash is faster T_T)
so if your not playing defensively this will be sort of maybe difficult.Ground vs Ground Debated but mehz

Ground Vs Air(us being on ground)crouch goes under both his aerials xD and theres the fact
that Ftilt and uptilt and our aerials beat his to death.we own this spot

air vs ground(us being air) not so much D:
many times I usually end up getting a DK spin or whatever it's called in the face T_T
unless of course you approch with bair =) I'd leave this one to the experts

Recovering we pretty safe if were not predictable =)
a DK is afraid that he'll get Footstooled if he goes off stage. so the he'll probally only be near the ledge
with spikes and bairs waiting.

Now Edgeguarding we have quite a advantage DK spin hase gone through my Fairs plenty but Bair
has worked in the past. if we so much get him a few inches at a downwards angle his craptastic Vertical
recovery means an easy kill.

this is all pretty much from the matches with my good friend Ghost pikmin my vs Daily G&W and
DK main

Milln

Smash Champion
DK tilts will negate some Aura Spheres until they get too powerful, keep that in mind especially if you're spamming uncharged ones.

Forward smash is stupid powerful. Whenever I get someone in the clap I FEEL like I just nailed them with a bus. Side-B is great at cracking shields and enabling followups if it hits. It even spikes. A common finisher is Side-B > Donkey Punch and that is only as slow as Side B. Which isn't slow. So watch it.

Their favorite aerial is bair and it is, indeed, pretty good. Fast, leads into lots of things if it doesn't outright knock them away.

Speaking of Donkey Punch. It does not care about things it hits. I was fighting Kita earlier with him and he was Adult Link and threw a bomb at me. I DK Punched through it and whacked him in the jaw. I never saw if the bomb exploded. If it did, I had super armor.

Only thing with DK is, is they can't recover from below the stage very well but have great horizontal recovery. Go for the Gimp or they'll recover early and get the ledge or something. Good thing is, is that Spinning Kong is easy to see coming. Dair for the lawls.

Edit: Look what I found: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178050

Oh yeah, don't get dsmsashed. It's vertical.

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
From what I have seen.....

None of DK's moves have hit boxes that extend beyond his own body... which mean if he comes to attack you, you can use your aura hit boxes to hit his attack and be safe.

As it was said his recovery pretty much sucks VS us. We have Down Air when we are above him or a Foot stool, Back Air when we are not, Up Air when below him, and Forward Smash while we wait for him to try and catch the ledge. I think the only thing we really don't have to use is our Aura Spheres.

I think this discussion needs even less time than we thought Mario did. DK is a physical fighter with no ranged attacks. We are physical fighters WITH ranged attacks and we out priority him with most of our attacks. Not to mention most of our attacks come out quicker.

Things to watch out for though.....

His grabs: DK players LOVE to grab you into a combo OR grab you into a stage spike. Since we like our High Percentages they like it because they can grab us longer which means increased chances of getting us into a stage spike throw.

His Back Air: Yes our air game is faster then this BUT they can still wall of pain us with this if our reaction time is slow. So stay on your toes because if you let your guard down a little they can jump on you for it.

Donkey Punch: If fully charged, and only fully charged, it has Super Armor when they go to use it.

People say that DK is a good pick VS Lucario because he is strong and can KO early on. My response to that is ... So is Ganon but no one will ever counter pick him on us because he sucks. We should all love the DK match up. As long as you are a good Lucario player it will give even someone of higher skill some trouble getting past you.

My verdict at this point..... Adavantage to Lucario 60:40

***EDIT***
DK can be VERY DEADLY... here is why.
What this video showed me.
NO WALLS: If there is a wall on a stage you are on stay away... he can infinite grab you!!!!
DK has crazy good ledge guarding game.
***EDIT***

huenikad

Smash Cadet
I second both DK and Lucario and I have more trouble against Lucario as DK.

I think the advantage is slightly to Lucario. Nice hitboxes etc and aura spheres work well against DK.

Too add on to OneWingedAngelo's post beware of DK's fsmash. Just like Infi-tan said, it's killer.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
*Yawn*
good morning guys and girls.
anywho, I have little to give at the moment so bear with me.

What I can say is Lucario's advantage grows with the more % he takes.
Yes we all know he gets stronger, thats not my point.
DK's Ftilt and dash will stop BAS's with no problem, so for those spammy cario's out there, you might want a different tactic. Full charged however will still hit.
When lucario's Aura boost starts pumping, then your BAS's will start giving %.
Secondly, Nicely placed rolling and spotdodging will be very important for landing those smashes and grabs. What you want to try to do, is get DK into the air. Here is where you can deal a lot of pain. but so can DK.
The real DK killer is his lack of jumping/recovery. Keep him below stage level, and DK will fall like a big brown "rock". He wont be able to save himself.
And range. Range is what gives lucario the advantage, use it wisely.
DK Up-B can spike. Carreful when hanging from a ledge, but you can survive if you Up-B as fast a possible.

More info later.

Wow that was quick.

Here's a gem to use in fighting one. Fair+fair+ Stool jump. Seriously, the fairs is for getting him off the stage. The Stool jump though is the killer. The falling animation is very long, so even if they did double jump and DKnadowed (Up-B) they only reach that wall on FD. There you can be waiting for a Dair, or a Charged AS. Do what ever.
Ok I did it again, Stoll jump!! My god.
Another thing, when you hit DK and his lying on the ground micro Dair him. (micro Dair flicking up on the joystick and down on the C-stick) You can get a couple of micro bursts on him in a game. Heck more then a couple actually, but don't abuse it. Its a good shield punisher, the first hit will weaken the shield and the second will hit DK into the air or really close to the ground, do next move accordingly.
-t2

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Ok, here we go. Basically this is just a kill % list that I made trying to prove to a stubborn DK main who said that Lucario can't kill until well over 100%.

For the testing, I just used fsmash for a few reasons (common kill move, easy to constantly sweet spot without needing to control DK etc)

Lucario % DK %
0%
Uncharged 180
Charged 125

50%
Uncharged 145
Charged 95

100%
Uncharged 110
Charged 70

150%
Uncharged 90
Charged 50

200%
Uncharged 80
Charged 40

Now, as we can see, the longest DK is ever going to live will be until 180%...assuming Lucario has 0% and they are both in the middle of final destination. The earliest he will be dying will be at 40%, assuming lucario is at 200% and again in the middle. Both are major extremes that will probably never happen. Looking more realistically, when lucario is at 100% or even at 75(didn't do a reading but estimating) Dk will be dying at around 120ish%, which is extremely possible. Lucario definitely doesn't need to be above 100% in order to kill DK early.

Now on the other side, for DK's killing %'s, I used fsmash, due to it's killing power.

Uncharged 85
Charged 50

A fun fact, Lucario's fsmash has quite a bit more range on it...

Now, it seems that lucario has to be about 85% in order for DK to kill him with an uncharged fsmsash. at that point, DK only needs to be at about 115 in order to be killed by lucario. To me, that doesn't seem like DK has an advantage as big as you were making it out to be, in the area of killing power.

Add lucario's ability to gimp DK, which is much greater than DK's ability to gimp lucario and the matchup is definitely even, or even going in the favor of Lucario.

Just an fyi, all damage %'s were done in increments of 5 with the number shown being the earliest the character died ie if it says 50%, the character didn't die at 45. Thinking like that, any number between 46 and 50 could of been the % that the character actually died at but with all the lucario %'s , I didn't care enough to test it.

Also, while fooling around, I found a few moves that go through DK's upB (or at the least cancel it and both characters take damage/knockback):

fair
dair
bair
nair
uair

yeah, all of lucario's aerials, with dair, bair and uair completely hitting DK without any damage to lucario.

Personally I think it's even but with a slight advantage towards lucario (not sure whether it's enough to justify an advantage.). He can kill DK relatively early and if you add gimps he's going to be getting a lot more kills than DK will.

Top Bottom