• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tier City- PREREG IS UP! Link in 2nd Post! July 27th-28th Grapevine, Tx

Which N64 Mario Party should we run for a side event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I guess it'd make the most sense to use the Texas PR displayed in Oracle's signature to determine who's on the TX crew.

I suggest we do 8v8, w/ 2 alternates each. Classic crew style. Any objections? And of course I'm willing to captain or co-captain the "world" crew and lead us to victory.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Well, looking from the PR, it would likely look something like:

Sethlon
Oracle
Austin
Dakpo
Strawhat
Xeven
Denti
?

Spot #8 was Disqo, but he's in Cali now. I'm guessing that sounds like a fair representation, especially going off what Dakpo said earlier.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
Hexagon Heat may be the best minigame, but Mario Party 3 has more involved and more fun minigames on average than 2 (and you don't get bull**** like Honeycomb Havoc effectively screwing people based on position halfway through), and map play is significantly more refined. Item cost/usage, map effects, etc. all play out in a more interesting, less "stupid" way.
I haven't actually played either enough to really give you an indepth analysis like that. But what I do remember from my childhood is that Mario Party 2 had a very good aesthetic design. What I mean by that is that in every map, everything is very thematic and it very much feels like you are doing something different on every map, whereas in Mario Party 3, the emphasis was on player-to-player interaction with the dueling. Neither are BAD, definitely, they just have different strengths.

denti real

we even buffed lucario in 2.6 :/

I'm going to go off topic a bit and hijack this post because there isn't a changelog out yet and I'm not exactly sure where the buffs are. I'm definitely not good enough for the tourney yet and I need to change that.
I'm having trouble approaching. After the first time you dashattack+string hits, your opponent will know not to let you do that anymore. Marth, for example, will always just shorthop+nair in place. Double team takes way too long to start and doesn't provide much invincibility. To someone who can make basic reads, it's simply a wavedash back and forward smash and you're out. Since there's no way of stopping your DT before it ends, rather than encouraging a surprise attack, you are just giving your opponent a really slow roll that they can hit you out of, most of the time. I
could use a charge, but without a reliable way of stacking damage I'd be fighting an uphill battle.
The only reliable way I have been able to approach is to fair as I jump from the ground, which doesn't put me in a good position to really use the cancel mechanics.
Any insight?

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, looking from the PR, it would likely look something like:

Sethlon
Oracle
Austin
Dakpo
Strawhat
Xeven
Denti
?

Spot #8 was Disqo, but he's in Cali now. I'm guessing that sounds like a fair representation, especially going off what Dakpo said earlier.

Wow no love :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You guys won't have a chance in the crew battle if he does come...

BlinkIV

Avenger
Quick off-topic question.

Does anyone mind custom music, japanese voices, and Melee SFX? I'm not sure if anyone would consider it distracting.

Secret bosses are free, btw.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I mind melee SFX very heavily. The other two I don't, and I actually prefer JPN SFX for most characters.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Okay, if there's a general agreement of disliking Melee SFX, I'll replace it with the old SFX. Strong Bad, get me MK's japanese brsar file. I'm trying to find it so badly.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If I had one I'd link you, sorry XP. I use .bnk files with InternetExplorer's recently released RSBE. If you get that working I can provide you with a JPN MK .bnk to put in the /sfx folder.

And err, shouldn't there need to be a consensus to not use the default PM SFX (Brawl SFX)? Default is the go-to if there's ever a dispute.

D

Deleted member

I used to have them but I took them off because they didn't fit.
USB loading for life though, also menu SFX are cool

Oracle

Smash Master
i like them for a nostalgic sort of thing but i can see why you wouldn't want them. I always enforce the rule that if you disagree with some custom content on a setup, you can ask to move to a new one.

Also looks like we have enough hype for crews to be confirmed! Texas roster will be
Sethlon
Me
Awestin
Dakpo
Strawhat
Xeven
Denti
Dr. Drew
Denthorn
UTDZac
(aka the top 10 on the pr, minus disqo bunny)

Rules:
1. Both crews will send out their first player in a blind pick. They play on a random neutral (ps2, yoshis, battlefield, FD, FoD, dreamland, smashville)
2. The player coming in for the loser has two options to pick stage
a.select a random neutral, in which case the winner is character locked
b. counterpick to a specified neutral stage, in which case the winner may switch character before the loser selects his character.
3. There is no order specified; anyone can go in at any time

Strong bad and Oro you guys need to organize your crew!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think there should be stage strikes. Random should never be used for stage selection in this day and age.

Oracle

Smash Master
a. thats going to take forever if we do it for each match
b. the whole idea of crews is as a throwback to back in the day, where crews was a main event and regional trash talk was huge. If there were significant money on the line, then maybe no random, but i think the difference it creates isn't gonna have that big of a difference. Maybe i could take yoshis and dl64, the two questionable stages, off the roster?

Rat

Smash Lord
I'd rather do an 8v8 with alternates. Makes who to send in more interesting.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman

I haven't actually played either enough to really give you an indepth analysis like that. But what I do remember from my childhood is that Mario Party 2 had a very good aesthetic design. What I mean by that is that in every map, everything is very thematic and it very much feels like you are doing something different on every map, whereas in Mario Party 3, the emphasis was on player-to-player interaction with the dueling. Neither are BAD, definitely, they just have different strengths.

I'm going to go off topic a bit and hijack this post because there isn't a changelog out yet and I'm not exactly sure where the buffs are. I'm definitely not good enough for the tourney yet and I need to change that.
I'm having trouble approaching. After the first time you dashattack+string hits, your opponent will know not to let you do that anymore. Marth, for example, will always just shorthop+nair in place. Double team takes way too long to start and doesn't provide much invincibility. To someone who can make basic reads, it's simply a wavedash back and forward smash and you're out. Since there's no way of stopping your DT before it ends, rather than encouraging a surprise attack, you are just giving your opponent a really slow roll that they can hit you out of, most of the time. I
could use a charge, but without a reliable way of stacking damage I'd be fighting an uphill battle.
The only reliable way I have been able to approach is to fair as I jump from the ground, which doesn't put me in a good position to really use the cancel mechanics.
Any insight?

you need to chillll.that's my insight

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you guys put money on the line for crews, I think it would be interesting for the winning team to split the gains based on how many stocks each player took from the losing team.

But then I won't get any money when my team doesn't even have to send me in. :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
a. thats going to take forever if we do it for each match
b. the whole idea of crews is as a throwback to back in the day, where crews was a main event and regional trash talk was huge. If there were significant money on the line, then maybe no random, but i think the difference it creates isn't gonna have that big of a difference. Maybe i could take yoshis and dl64, the two questionable stages, off the roster?
a. why is this a problem? it's like 30 secs per match... that's like 8 or 9 minutes total. if you're doing crews you need to schedule a lot of leeway anyway...
b. the whole idea of crews was to pit crew against crew, it was created at a time where the first game of a set was always randomed and that was done away with in like 2008 because of obvious reasons. if the crew battle were formulated today, stage striking would be used.

i would personally not be particularly satisfied if my crew won because of RNG on stage selection.

i'd prefer taking off yoshi's and dl64 over nothing, though.

oro: yeah i'll captain. i def have the most solid understanding of all the players that are coming from oos, as well as the best oos knowledge of the texas' roster. i don't think i'll need a co-captain, but anyone's welcome to volunteer and i'll consider it.

D

Deleted member

Crews will be awesome, when will you guys have it? On Sunday right?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey Texas, don't solidify your crew list until you see me play again. I'd rather not miss this!

D

Deleted member

You play Falcon right DMG? I'd actually like to see you play crews (or anything for that matter) to see how good 2.6 Falcon plays out.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Strawhat is going there, and he has my Falcon brother stamp of approval so far. You WILL see someone bring back the glory of Falcon, maybe both of us.

D

Deleted member

Wait, Strawhat is your brother?

Well, if he is, I'd like to play a ****ton of friendlies with you guys because I need to learn more about Falcon in P:M 2.6.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He plays Falcon. He might as well be family to me.

Scythe

Smash Master
If you guys put money on the line for crews, I think it would be interesting for the winning team to split the gains based on how many stocks each player took from the losing team.

doesn't work lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom