• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisville KY s2d tournament a few times a monthly. 08/29/09

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
also Rowan, we need to post this regional tourney on smashboards calender so we can make it offical. is there any way you could possibly do this? if you can, i help gather everybody and set up fliers and post this on My space.

level_0

Smash Rookie
Jackson, TN (school months)/Louisville, KY (summer
I have really good news!! i just got off the phone with the manger at S2D Josh and he said he would love to host a regional tourney! i told him Oct 18th is what we'll host the tourney and he said thats fine. now since we have the permision, we need to figure out what are the requirements to have this tourney.
Awesome! If this works, I'll be back in town for that weekend! I'm in!

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I would LOVE to get the ball rolling but before that there's this one issue that is troubling me, Size. That little room in the back can probably fit 5 (maybe 6 T.V.s) max. Not to mention how crowded it can get. It often gets quite troublesome to move around the room at times. We more then likely will have to find some bigger area or ask the mall officials for some room somewhere else.

There are also smaller issues that concern me a bit but so far the above takes the cake.

Well the thing about the regional tournament that is going on now is none of them are within a two hour drive of Louisville so it's not exactly plausible to drive 5 hours for a regional tournament. If s2d where to have a real regional tournament they would have smashers from, Cinci, Lexington, and southern Indianan. Geography wise it's has some other cities within an hour drive so it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one there. If there is going to be a regional at s2d I suggest going to the Midwest circuit board and asking if you can set up a regional in October. Along with that you're going to have to talk to the s2d manager and make sure you can do it then because it will take all day for singles and doubles. It's possible that if you guys tired you might be able to get a regional tourney next month but it's going to take alot of work and preparation.
Which I why I thought of the idea. I figured Louisville to be a great place to host something since it takes around 2hrs or so from Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville, Lexington, and 3hrs from Columbus.

(To be honest if they had any big event in any of those above cities anytime soon I probably wouldn't suggest this and go there.)

Also I checked around here and there and most of the big tourneys on 10/18 are melee. (Xesticle and Event 52 for example.) I seen one brawl one so far and that's up in Ann Arbor, MI.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i see what you mean about the room. i'm not sure how well 40+ people could fit in the room, even if we did move things around. though there's always the tables at the food court if it gets too uncomfortable....plus we'd have to have josh to cancel the magic tournament that happens after brawl for that day. So we have to get this all decided pretty soon. like rowan said, on the 18th is event 52 (which is in kansas....) so we may not be able to get an actual regional on that day. and alot of people in other threads were talking as if the end of october is really packed. would the 11th be too soon? or would we have to wait until november?

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
I told Josh at S2D and told him that we might hit at LEAST 40-45 people comin to this tourney so he might consider room would come first in setting up this tourney.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
There's a big tourney in November as well. Cast4. (All melee tourney though) That's in Virginia.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
we would need to check to make sure there arent any other tournaments at that time. Taylor posted something in the midwest circuit thread, so they'll probably get something sorted out. it'd be best to get one going before the snow hits.

wait.... cast4 is in canada.... >.> you sure all of the midwest is going to that? plus it's only the 15-16 of november. there's still the rest of november to plan.

otherwise we'd probably have to wait until spring.... which doesnt sound fun

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Two regional tournaments are not going to be better than 1, because a lot of people will only be able to afford to go to one event in a small timeframe, and each event will take players away from the other.

And "regional" implies the midwest, which is already too big to have one grand tournament so it is broken down into IN, MI, OH, KY, and IL (maybe WI but I can't remember anymore). This area is called "midwest east", and tournaments are being held for this region once a month, it is very organized, last more than a few hours, and the best players in all of these states attend. Carpooling for gas money makes things much cheaper. If you want to draw in tons of players to this store and you live right next to it, either can this idea and drive to a real tournament with actual good players, or don't be selfish enough to ruin the potential experience of this real regional tournament for other players who would have otherwise gone to it instead of yours had they known about it.

Kel and others are working very hard to get as many people from all the different states in this region to participate in the official regional tournaments and pretending to have your own regional tournament is distracting from and problematic to the efforts of him and everybody else involved.

wangston

Smash Lord
Honestly if this is going to happen you need to bring this up to the Midwest east circuit thread and you need to get together with Kel and others to get this organized. And there is no way it would happen by the 18th regionals take months of planning. Kyari is right the store is to small to host a regional with 70+ people and it would take at least two days. One day of Pools and then another day for an actual bracket. Plus you would have to have team doubles so it's going to be a two full days of smash. Along with that there needs to be housing. I'm not saying it's impossible to have regionals in Lousville it just can't be this soon, and it can't compete with another regional tournament. So I suggest you guys get together and talk to Kel and others and see when the next date available for a tournament is going to be. It might be in November or might not be until next year or even next years circuit.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
yeah you have a good point. maybe if we could talk to somebody into letting us rent a room that would fit 70+ people at the louisville convention center. i know its gonna cost alot of money to rent a room that large but we cold maybe make happen sometime next year.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
but regardless, the rules at the S2D tournaments need to be changed >.>
and we should get josh to start 2v2

Kel

Smash Master
I currently have two potential tournaments (Ohio and Michigan). I would like 2 events with 1 more event for the championship. Michigan is most likely the best place for a championship (considering their numbers and location), but I would LOVE for a Ky tournament, especially if you guys have a good local interest. Whomever is wanting to run this should either PM me or IM me at papayasown.

wangston

Smash Lord
I know all the Melee players are going to E-52 that day(like me). So I won't be there. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a Brawl tournament the same day, either.
That's like an 8 hour drive!!!! You really are dedicated to melee. But it makes sense because you're so ****** good. I supposedly saw the best melee player in Utah, he is good but he's got nothing on you. How do you keep your skill level that high if no one else around here plays and there isn't anyone to practice with? I wish you the best of luck and I want to see some vids of you're matches.

Jiano

Smash Ace
You need to change your location to something that
That's like an 8 hour drive!!!! You really are dedicated to melee. But it makes sense because you're so ****** good. I supposedly saw the best melee player in Utah, he is good but he's got nothing on you. How do you keep your skill level that high if no one else around here plays and there isn't anyone to practice with? I wish you the best of luck and I want to see some vids of you're matches.
I'm not so good now a days, since I hardly ever play anymore. I still somehow retain a decent amount of skill, mind game wise, my tech skill is trash, though.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Dude, all the locals are melee only, our **** is only brawl. Everything around the midwest with any sort of following is on the fringes. Kansas, Michigan, Iowa. Louisville is about as centrally located as centrally located gets. I say do it. As for the "taking away from the actual regional" argument, I could see your point, if you did brawl. But the idea of a Louisville regional tournament makes sense.

Meh, so we're not the center of the midwwest, we're the center of the population of the united states. Population devided by distance equals louisville kentucky. Look it the **** up.

edit: If anyone's interested in a smashfest to fill the void this weekend speak up. If there's interest I might be persuaded to organize one, plus my basement is large. I'm getting ancy without any decent smash opponents.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Dude, all the locals are melee only, our **** is only brawl. Everything around the midwest with any sort of following is on the fringes. Kansas, Michigan, Iowa. Louisville is about as centrally located as centrally located gets. I say do it. As for the "taking away from the actual regional" argument, I could see your point, if you did brawl. But the idea of a Louisville regional tournament makes sense.

Meh, so we're not the center of the midwwest, we're the center of the population of the united states. Population devided by distance equals louisville kentucky. Look it the **** up.

edit: If anyone's interested in a smashfest to fill the void this weekend speak up. If there's interest I might be persuaded to organize one, plus my basement is large. I'm getting ancy without any decent smash opponents.
We'll think of something, but first lets wait till after all the melee tourneys and stuff are over. I'm for any big event in Louisville, Indianapolis or Cincinnatti.

If worst comes to worst, we can always carpool or something. lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah crash, it'd be pretty cool if we could get some people together somehow, though i dont know how many would be up for it and it may be short notice

@rowan: carpooling to regionals doesn't seem too impossible...i'd like to see how your peach would do lol. Maybe we should figure out when one's going to be and plan it out.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! i hope nobody forgot that we all should meet up a S2D on the 11th. lets make this one big since the last 2 tourney haven't been real big, plus we haven't played in a while since the magic crap thats been going. ::metaknight:

wangston

Smash Lord
So if there aren't any tournaments when I get back for Christmas break I'm going to have to host one at my house. Though I live in La grange about 20 mins from s2d. I also get back from college in april and if there are any regional tournaments with in a 5 hour drive or so I will be willing to drive, I have giant astro van that seats 8. So I would be willing to make a road trip when I get back. Hopefully MLG will have brawl in their circuit by then and there will be one near us. If they don't have it in there hopefully the midwest circuit is going on.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I cant believe there is actually a tournament in KY:)
This is great...Ive never been to a tourny before
Hopefully there r no Meta Knights there...lol

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I cant believe there is actually a tournament in KY:)
This is great...Ive never been to a tourny before
Hopefully there r no Meta Knights there...lol
lol if only you knew....

actually, one of the regulars there has a really good meta

lil cj

Smash Lord
yeah... that would be me. but! i decided to drop Meta and change to kirby instead.
Cool no Meta Knights:)
I was expecting alot of people would use him since its a certified win...I was even goin to use him as a alternate...lol
Kirby is a tough match up for Lucas too...lol
How many people r usually at the tournament?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Cool no Meta Knights:)
I was expecting alot of people would use him since its a certified win...I was even goin to use him as a alternate...lol
Kirby is a tough match up for Lucas too...lol
How many people r usually at the tournament?
there are usually 20+ people that show up, though lately we've been seeing a small turnout.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Well...if your Kirby man..who will I be D:

Oh well, I don't care : P Just another cool ditto we can do. Hopefully soccer won't get in the way for this week.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
well i dont know, i might head back to meta knight if i cant get kirby down right. i good with him, i just dont want to show up at S2D and get my butt kicked be Jiano or Rowan if im running kirby.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
so.... jiano and rowan, are either of you going to come again? I got the top five for today, but the three after that werent decided, so i dont know the order(or...who they were >.>)

but as for the top five

1. Tactical (Lucario/Random)
2. Hilt (Olimar/Lucario)
3. Paladin (Meta Knight/Kirby)
4. Calic (Pikachu/Toon Link)
5 Nolan (MetaKnight/???)

there were over twenty there, so it was better than it had been...
The tournament next week is still on, though for the weekend after that there MAY not be a tournament. But the judge hasnt decided on it yet. But i'll post something whenever i figure out whether there will be or not.

Top Bottom