• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lost (The show on ABC)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just checked out the abc.com website. They have a bunch of preview clips a la the commercials and also a 45 minute or so video in the streaming section that reviews the first two seasons. Season 3 starts tomorrow, can't wait!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I've been watching the second season over the last two days, gonna finish up tommorow, before the premier.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Others capture Jack, Kate, and Sawyer.

There now you can watch the premiere.

BearBoy

Smash Apprentice
The show sure has lots of viewers but the premise is a little ahrd to believe that a plane an entire plane would go missing and no one would send a search party.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The show sure has lots of viewers but the premise is a little ahrd to believe that a plane an entire plane would go missing and no one would send a search party.
Well, they did say in the beginning the plane crashed almost 1,000 miles off-course and that search teams would be looking in the wrong place, so it would be hard to search every single square mile within the flight path. After a while, you kind of just give up and assume they died. Then again, the show does have monsters, so obviously not everything is going to be 100% believable. :)

BearBoy

Smash Apprentice
I agree on one part

Well, they did say in the beginning the plane crashed almost 1,000 miles off-course and that search teams would be looking in the wrong place, so it would be hard to search every single square mile within the flight path. After a while, you kind of just give up and assume they died. Then again, the show does have monsters, so obviously not everything is going to be 100% believable. :)
But even with it being a thousand miles off course someone is going to search for the wreckage i mean a airline company isnt just going to be like oh whoops looks like that plane went down will try better next time

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, considering that they've been the island for 65 days so far, I believe the search teams would have given up by now. Sure, you make an effort to find them, but you eventually have to give up. They aren't going to spend all their time trying to find something leftover. There's been plenty of real life airplane/jet/air vehicles crashes in which they haven't found the remains. Sometimes, it's just impossible to find any remains, especially if the search teams look in the wrong place.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Amelia Earheart comes to mind. People know where she was last seen and where she was headed, but no one's ever found her plane or remains. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility for a plane to go down, especially one that's already way off-course due to communications failure, and it not be found.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A. If you haven't actually watched the show, don't judge the premise. At the end of Season 2, we learn someone IS looking for them and has tracked a signal to where they would be. Also, all notions of tracking a plane have been given up by now. Take TWA Flight 800. The plane bursts into flames over the ocean with very few remains found. It was impossible for survival, but they don't know for a fact that someone got washed away, etc.

B. This season, for those that don't read the USA Today, will be VERY interesting for those interested in the Others. They will be the focus of the 6-part mini-series and will even have flashbacks. Thankfully, my prediction on season 3 came to fruition. I do want to see what they had to do with Danielle's crew sometime back as she said she heard them numerous times.

I am really interested in tonight's episode (along with South Park's about WoW) because it will prove if they are capable of keeping it fresh. Season 2 basically went off without a hitch, save for a few stand still episodes, but I think it was proof the show is above and beyond all others on TV.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Isn't the islands kind of magical almost? There are things about it that cant be explained. The Desmond guy sailed stright away from the island but somehow ended up exactly where he came from. The rescuers wont find them unless they were meant to. That girl was connected to Desmond so she found it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Precisely the point. That crew found the island by chance and infact had missed it the last time it happened. They are no coincidences in the Lost universe.

My money is on it being Lemura, the Pacific Ocean Atlantis. Of course, with this show it can be something much more complex or simple.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, after seeing the episode, I must say...HOLY ****!!! What a great way to kick off the season. Good to finally see some backstory behind The Others. Some spoilers below...highlight to view/discuss.

There's a town on the island where all The Others live? Since Juliet admitted that they were indeed a part of the Dharma Initiative, this makes sense since the Pearl video did mention something about barracks. And, a new Hatch, The Hydra, which seems to be involved with animal behavior research, e.g. polar bears, dolphins, and sharks. Judging by what "Henry Gale," or should I say Ben, said, looks like Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are going to be doing some sort of training/experimentation. And how the heck do they have information on everyone?

I must admit, when Sawyer finally solved the puzzle, I couldn't stop laughing at the result. Nice to see them squeeze some humor into such a serious storyline. :laugh:

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
There's something about Juliet's face and voice that creeps me out. I also wonder how they got all the books they were reading in the beginning. I guess the Others have ways to get things from off the island.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That was a hint, Virgilijus. Stephen King is a relatively new writer and Ben even made mention of it.

Also, anyone in Intro. Psychology probably recognized the box that Sawyer was in was a Skinner Box. It's used to condition animals to perform certain tasks and get rewards for the tasks.

I think the biggest problem with Lost is it's own hype and pace. I was expecting so much to be revealed at once, but instead (except with the first 5 minutes) it was slowly leaked. Like where did Carl come from?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It could be quite possible that Carl was one of the tailies, since he seemed so eager to escape with Sawyer. Perhaps he was one of those taken early on? At the very least, Tom seemed to show some familiarity with him.

I surprised they still haven't revealed The Flame yet. There were lots of speculation about it since ever since the Blacklight Map was shown, but I guess the producers still want to keep us in the dark about that...

Well, either ways, I'm going rewatch the episode when it gets put on the ABC website to see if I missed anything...there's always some tiny little thing that you'd never catch the first time around. :)

Virgilijus

BRoomer
My memory fails me; who's Carl?

Edit: Oh yeah, the guy in the cage! Don't have the faintest idea. I wonder why he was forced to apologize?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oy, use the spoiler tags. It may seem silly, I know, but some people haven't seen the episode yet. :)

Carl was forced to apologize because he tried to get Sawyer involved in his escape attempt. And by the looks of it, he was beaten as punishment. Needless to say, he'll back again in the future.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The show airs here now and is active. I am not covering up a television show with tags. If someone really wanted to discuss the up to season 3 I doubt they would come to this topic.

Yea, Carl was the recent hiring. However, I don't think he was a tailie because he asked if the people were nice on the plane. He never met them. Or if he was a tailie, he traveled alone.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Whoops, my mind slipped...

I know that he helped Sawyer try to escape, but I guess his apology made it sound like Sawyer would be punished because of it. But as he hasn't so far, at least more so than being trapped in a bear cage, it makes me wonder.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I only wanted to put spoiler tags only for those late viewers, but since the episode is now available online, I guess they aren't necessary.

Along the lines of the Stephen King book, Juliet also had CD Player, apparently a DualDisc. If they were indeed a part of the Dharma Initiative, and it started around the 1980s(?), then how did they get it on the island? DualDisc wasn't invented until 2004...the supposed year they crashed on the island. And the houses in the beginning also looked pretty modern for the most part. There also seems to be some sort of tension between Ben and Juliet. Agh, so many new questions...

Well, at least they did answer one question. The Island does in fact belong to The Others without a doubt, since they were living there first. And Ben sure does love playing those mindgames. Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens during the two weeks. And the part with the noise coming from the speaker, very intriguing to say the least. More hints as to the power of the island? Also, I am almost certain that Jack was treating Tom in the scene in which Jack sees his father get a phone call.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Am I only one who noticed that when the Others actually witnessed the plane breaking up, it was all wrong? It broke into two pieces directly above the island (going 700+ mph mind you), but the tail suddenly REVERSED direction and headed for another area of the island? If they had broken up that closed to hitting the island, they would have hit in the same spot, because the same momentum would be applying to the fuselage as well as the tail. It would be impossible for the tail to make a 90 degree turn like that.

That said, I doubt that's actually part of the story. It's more-than-likely just what they wanted to do with the animation, to make it look more dramatic, ie they could show where the plane split and where both pieces landed in the same shot. I doubt that was actually something about the island, story-wise.

I thought the episode was really well-done. I'm still waiting for Jack's zombie dad to make another full appearance on the island. :p

I was thinking Carl was a plant. Meaning, maybe he actually IS an Other, and he "tried to escape" only to show Sawyer that escape was impossible, considering how quickly he got caught. Prevent Sawyer from trying to escape, and they don't have to bother trying to catch him later, you know?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Nice to see JJ Abrams back on track.

Lost is simultaneously frustrating and intriguing. One one hand, almost nothing significant happened plotwise. No revelations on Eko's/Locke's status, only minute revelations about the Others (which people have already guessed at for a while now), and nothing about the supposed "plan" that Jack had right before he led them straight into a trap.

. . .on the other hand, seeing Jack's loss of self-control, his deteriorating relationship with his father, his overwhelming obsession with his failed marriage and the eventual acceptance of his failure was really, really poignant and touching.

My only question is, what happened to Kate in between her breakfast and meeting with Sawyer that got her so rattled up? She was obviously struggling (hence the cuff marks on her wrists), but I don't think **** is really up the Others' alley, what with their utopian society and they're being "good people."

By the way, what was the Stephen King book? Some people claim that it was Carrie, From a Buick 8, or something else. . .it'd be nice to know which book it was.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
That whole thing with the others having there own place on the island that was that developed was a surprise lol and that they have like under water bases WTF lol, I am sure those 3 are gonna escape but man its just gonna be so crazy I cant wait to see how the rescue attempt goes down next week.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'll pause the video when I rewatch it later today as I got interupted during most of it last night to see which King book it was.

Also, we have a different scenario from Season 2 than we did from Season 1. In Season 1, the finale focused on the hatch being open as well as Walt's kidnapping. In season 2's ending, we focused on the button not being pressed, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer's kidnapping, AND Sayid's siege on the village.

Expect episode 2 to be about the people with Sayid (it'll be Jin/Sun centric) and episode 3 will explain the fallout of the button not being pressed (It's a huge spoiler if I say who the episode is about, but this is supposedly the most surreal flashback episode).

Anyone find it intersting that the Others' village is surround by a dense forest that remains untouched? It seems they are not there to hurt the island at all, but rather study something much larger (they built into mountains instead of clearing out forests. Inside the island is a strong magnetic pulse)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll pause the video when I rewatch it later today as I got interupted during most of it last night to see which King book it was.

Anyone find it intersting that the Others' village is surround by a dense forest that remains untouched? It seems they are not there to hurt the island at all, but rather study something much larger (they built into mountains instead of clearing out forests. Inside the island is a strong magnetic pulse)
After watching the episode again, it's almost impossible to tell which Stephen King book it is. The cover is shown several times, but it's too blurry to tell, and the one time we can see the book clearly is when Juliet's hand is over the title. I guess it's just a little something the producers wanted us to figure out. :)

The Others were supposedly a part of the Dharma Initiative, so the fact that the live in an island in the middle of nowhere may be yet another experiment. But since the Dharma Initiative failed you would think they would leave. Perhaps they're trying to build a utopian society? Is it possible they know something about the numbers and the Valenzetti equation? They seem to be quite intelligent.

CStick

Smash Lord
Dont forget, our oceans are very big and deep. Even if they crashed in, say, the middle of their flight path, they could be thousands of feet below water.

Heck, we've lost lots of things that we never found or got back. We've lost H-bombs, ships, and subs. For example, just today on CNN, I saw a report that someone finally found a WWII sub that had been last seen off of alaska before being sunk by Japanese sub chaser, and the sad part is that they actually found it around the area where it was last reported.

If it took 64 years to find a sub that they had a good general idea of its location, imagine how long it would take them to find a plane that flew 1000 miles in the wrong direction, and of all the places, landed on a generally unknown deathtrap of an island with freakin polar bears, smoke monster robot things, and a big wierd elctromagnetic field around it

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone find it possible that the Others are an experiment by the Dharma Initiative because Juliet would never answer directly if she was apart of it or not, just said they were apart of it.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I think that they could have been told they are the prototype utopian society while the Dharma Initiative slyly studies how they work, without the change an observer would make.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Anyone find it possible that the Others are an experiment by the Dharma Initiative because Juliet would never answer directly if she was apart of it or not, just said they were apart of it.
Jack: "So you people are just...whatever is leftover of them."
Juliet: "Well, that was a long time ago. It doesn't matter who we were...only matters who we are."

I think Juliet implies that The Other did have some part in the Dharma Initiative, but since it failed (according to the Sri Lanka video) they are all that's left. So, maybe they were part of an experiment? The researchers themselves that were forgotten? Or maybe the Initiative secretly continues? The fact that they had knowledge of the Pala Ferry (which was mentioned in The Pearl Orientation Video) and the other hatches means they've been there for a long time and know the land. This explains why they could move through the jungle and be nearly impossible to track.

Oh, and regards to the Stephen King book, some people are still insisting it's Carrie.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
'Atta boy Sawyer!

The thing that interested me the most was that Carl guy's relationship with the Others. From what I deduced, he'd tried escaping before. (just guess) He had something to pick the lock with him, but the Others didn't put him in a more secure possition or take away the pick.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'm thinking that the Others are trying to make a Utopian society by picking off the strongest members of any groups that come their way. They seemed overly prepared for when the plane crashed, knowing exactly what to do with their new company.

I'm still wondering what's going to happen to Michael and Walt... Can Ben really be trusted?

Oh, and Crimson King, where did you get your information on the upcoming episodes?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Spoiler Websites. Most stuff that gets leaked ends up there with a warning that fake leakers are being sent out too.

They were ready for the plane crash because the magnetic pulse. They knew Desmond was going to miss it because he was busy killing Kelvin and naturally, expected something weird to go on.

Banks

Smash Hero
that show is extrmemly slow moving. summary of last week's show: Jack refused a sandwich, then finally accepted. and sawyer tried to escape. really, what else of importance happened. we got some useless backstory on jack that has no correlation to anything. they need to speed this **** up to have people coming back every week.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Well, Lost has always been that way, especially in the beginning/middle of Season 2. . .heavy exposition that's been repetition of previous flashbacks, that did nothing to further the story.

At least the season premiere told us new stuff about Jack's crumbling marriage and his tendency towards obsession. . .I thought the character moments it had, plus the redemption/forgiveness at the end, was really well done.

I don't mind the lack of forward momentum if they at least have some decent, new character exposition.

SciFiGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'm still wondering what's going to happen to Michael and Walt... Can Ben really be trusted?
The producers confirmed a long time ago that Harold and Malcolm aren't casted as regulars for this season, and we won't see them at all this season.

Also, just use some common sense. Don't you remember the second episode of season 2? James flat out says the boat only has a range of 100 miles.

When Ben said, "...And you will find rescue." He really means that The Others will save them.

Virgilijus said:
think that they could have been told they are the prototype utopian society while the Dharma Initiative slyly studies how they work, without the change an observer would make.
Hugh Macintyre during The Lost Experience confirmed on Jimmy Kimmel Live that The Hanso Foundation discontinued the D.H.A.R.M.A. Initiative in 1979.

McFox said:
only one who noticed that when the Others actually witnessed the plane breaking up, it was all wrong? It broke into two pieces directly above the island (going 700+ mph mind you), but the tail suddenly REVERSED direction and headed for another area of the island? If they had broken up that closed to hitting the island, they would have hit in the same spot, because the same momentum would be applying to the fuselage as well as the tail. It would be impossible for the tail to make a 90 degree turn like that.
No, it was right. According to the story so far, Desmond not entering the code into The Swan's computer made the plane crash because the electrical charge wasn't discharged in time.

According to the blast door map, The Swan station is on one end of the island, while The Arrow station is on the opposite side. In other words, the fuselage was attracted to The Swan's magnetic attractions, while the tail section just dropped normally.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
According to the blast door map, The Swan station is on one end of the island, while The Arrow station is on the opposite side. In other words, the fuselage was attracted to The Swan's magnetic attractions, while the tail section just dropped normally.
It doesn't make sense that the magnetic pull would only affect one side of the plane, they were a foot away from eachother after first breaking off.

Top Bottom