• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lost (The show on ABC)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
So. . .this super, awesome, cliff-hanger episode that was supposed to knock my bloody socks off. . .I wasn't impressed.

First off, I'm not sure the Kate flashbacks made any significant contribution to her character. We already knew she was on the run; having her be in a serious relationship with a guy to only have her go on the run again. . .well, nothing really happened.

Secondly, I know a large portion of the Lost viewer population consists of soccer moms and females who fantasize about Jack and Sawyer, but pandering to that crowd with some soap-opera-esque, passionate love scene between Kate and Sawyer was just lame. Even if I did get to see Kate partially nude.

The only redeeming quality of this episode was--you guessed it--the last 10 minutes, like it is with every Lost episode. Admittedly, the tension with Jack on the operating table, and the standoff with Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and the assorted Others was really well done. I just wish that I didn't have to slog through 35 minutes of crappy Kate backstory to get to it.

. . .meh, now I have to wait 3 months before my next Lost fix.

Antz

Smash Apprentice
Tell me about it! that last show sucked balls and I don't think that kate can break a big padlock 2 sawyer's cage! Also they should kill Kate 4 being a ****.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
That was Nathan Fillion. He's a Canadian actor who has been in Saving Private Ryan, the tv series Firefly and the movie that spawned from it, Serenity.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Cool enough. I'm still just waiting for it.

Silly Evil Eye didn't realize Lost was broad casted on CBC, and missed all of this season. My sympathies to his loss.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I hope that the rest of season 3 is good. Season 2 was a little bit of a letdown for me. And for the beginning of season 3, the only thing that I didn't like about it was that Eko's death seemed premature, but I understood why they did it. I also dislike that they changed the time that they're showing lost.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
He was talking about the last time they changed it. It's on at the same time as the rest of season three.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Just saw the new one.

The "new" other (that we'll probably never see again) plays Mac in the show "It's always sunny in Philadelphia". It made me happy.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I noticed that right away because that is my favorite show after Lost. I missed most of it tonight, but I have it TiVoed. Is it any good, Eor?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It was pretty good. It only focused on Jate/Kate/Sawyer and them, along with the others. I wasn't expecting them to do more, but I was kindof hoping for some Desmond/Locke action. Though, from the preview, it looks like that is next week.

Like normal, though, more questions raised then answered. Though it definitely gave you more insight. Ethan returns for a small role in the flashback.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Yeah I am getting tired of all the questions being brought up and less being answered, good episode thoughhad alot of plot twists I was not expecting an one unexpected death along w/ a funny one in the flash back, next week looks even better so i cant wait!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Sweet. That guy who wanted to kill Sawyer died. To be honest, he was getting a bit... bleh.

It seems like they finally have an Other who will cooperate with them. (Carl) Hopefully we can learn some stuff.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I liked yesterday's episode, but I predicted the ending of the flashback really easily. Then, once I realized what was going on, I connected the dots on what the end of the episode would probably be. I was right.

It was still a great episode, I just felt like it was a little predictable at times. Meh, I'm sure it won't happen again though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There were 3 major questions raised for me. And something I wanted to point out.

A. What was Carl doing in that sensory chamber? It's obvious this was a punishment for him, but what was it's purpose and what did it do to him? I got brainwashing from it, but still, there must be more.

B. If Juliet was being held captive (I missed the time she said she was there for), then are there other members of the Others who are too? This will give us huge insight into their nature.

C. The biggest assessment with the Others is that Alex is the Frenchwoman's daughter. If Ben is her father, that means Rousseau was a member of them, right? This would just be an interesting plot point really.

Finally, if you noticed Aldo was reading a book called "The Brief History of Time"

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Crimson King, I have to say that brainwashing is probably the only thing that's going on there--nothing more. From the way that Ethan and Goodwin were talking about themselves as "good people," I can only suspect that brainwashing is part of whatever they do to try and forge the utopian society the Others are trying to build.

About Alex being Ben's daughter, I don't think we're meant to take it literally. If you remember Rousseau's story about her arrival on the island, she said that her crewmembers went insane, and she was forced to kill her lover. In light of that, Ben is likely just the surrogate father, nothing more. . .although it remains to be seen if Alex knows about her past history or not.

I dunno about last night's episode. . .it was certainly better than the majority of Season 2, but it just didn't connect with me. Juliet is a fascinating character, yes, but the episode clearly didn't explain what changed her from such a vulnerable, self-effacing woman to the cold-blooded leader she is now. I still think the Season 3 premiere was the best Lost episode ever.

As for people complaining about the episode revealing nothing, don't forget that the Others can come and go from the island as they please, and are actively recruiting people. That's a HUGE revelation. . .especially when you consider that they're actively pursuing some kind of research related to embryo fertilization/womb degradation. Weird stuff.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I really liked the episode.

I think the room Carl was strapped into was only to get him to have the mind set of the Others, nothing more. Since Juliet has been there for three years and Rousseau has been there for atleast sixteen, that means that at some point the others brought in more people for some reason. Maybe it was because they needed help with how to pregnancy rates for the new generation so they brought her in.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Here's something about the brainwashing. I cant confirm if it's real or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwWhM8Xb_oQ
If you play the thing backwards, you get "Only fools are enslaved by time and space."

I found that this scene was the best part of the episode, excluding that guys death by Julie. It's facinating, not only in itself, but how Sawyer was especially mesmorized my it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONMiSKycfQ&NR Watch the film at the very last three seconds. It's Hanso!

List of phrases found in the video (playing forward):
Plant a good seed and you will joyfully gather fruit.
Everything Changes.
We are the causes of our own suffering.
God loves you as He loved Jacob.
Think about your life.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
So, Alex is the French woman's daughter, right?

About a year ago, I got to see the film set with the half of the airplane and the tents on the beach. Lucky I live Hawaii ^_^ Sugoi desu ne!

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
All I can understand from that small Japanese phrase is "sugoi" which means "amazing". . .right? >_>

Anyways, last night's episode was fantastic. It took all my doubts about Lost and completely crushed them. Seeing Desmond suffer through one of the biggest mistakes of his life all over again while watching a subtle debate between fate/free will was just incredible. I feel so sorry for him. The only thing that could have made it better was if Desmond started carving "NO FATE" into a wooden picnic table. :laugh:

Great episode. And I guess Charlie really is going to die. And though I don't like Charlie (his personality just grates on my nerves) I appreciate the family dynamic he has with Claire and the semi-religious slants on his flashbacks. Oh well.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I also thought it was a very good episode. Poor Desmond, having to relive the worst experience of his life over again. And I wonder if they actually are going to kill Charlie and if so, when and how. You would think Charlie could just ask Desmond each morning what he shouldn't do. The only problem would be if they got separated.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I thought it was a little bit confusing, because I wasn't forsure if Desmond went back in time, had a flashback, or what. But it was still a good episode, but I would have to watch it just so that I find anything that I didn't notice. Charlie was a little bit annoying in the beginning episodes(from season 1) when he would sing that song. But he doesn't really bother me that much.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I really hope that Desmond prove that the old woman was wrong, and that we do have choices. But this goes back to the whole Man of science, Man of Faith Jack vs Locke deal from the beginning.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I kind of liked the episode. It touches on the whole "Choice Vs Fate" debate. Next week's episode looks great...

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Todays episode was pretty good, we finally understand Jacks Tatoo an looks like they are building up to a big rescue, cant wait.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I didn't really like it, the tatoo's were pointless. I never cared.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I actually liked last night's episode. I felt it was a good look into the Others' society, and kinda opened some spots for different characters to fill in. Pretty good over all...

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I had a question about the tattoo;

When Achia, or what ever her name is, told him who he was and he forced her to have it put on his shoulder, she gave him the bottom portion of the tattoo that equated to "You are a leader, blah blah blah). However, Jack got it in Phuket, which is in Thailand though Isabel, the "sheriff" of the Others, tells him that it means "I am among them, but I am not one of them" and that it is written in Chinese. Is this the upper part of the tattoo, that we don't know he he got it or what?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I think the girl tricked Jack and told him something other than the the complete truth.

I never even noticed the tattoos.

PS: Kate must die.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I liked yestersday episode alot, Hugo is one of my fav characters so I'm glad they decided to do such a great episode on his background, Soyer was such a **** when he was disrecting Mr. "Workman" lmao, ending kinda surprised me(more questions raised -__-)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Actually, I thought yesterday's episode was pretty mediocre. The problem with Lost is that once it had established its characters with flashbacks, the majority of flashbacks we saw afterwards were extremely repetitive.

This episode was really no exception. Wow, Hurley's life sucks *** after he wins the lottery, with the reporter dying, his Dad taking advantage of him, etc. Too bad this general fact was already established at the end of Season 1, with the guy falling off the building of his accountant's office, and his grandpa dying, etc.

The only redeeming quality of this episode was when Sawyer tried teaching Jin the three phrases every man should know, and when Hurley countered Sawyer's name-calling with the name "Red-necked Guy." Hilarious.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I also though it was a rather mediocre episode; I want to see the conflict with the Others and learn more about them. As much as I like Hurley, he takes a back seat to Jack, the Others, and what ever rescue is to be planned.

Also, is it just me, or does Rousseau (the French woman) only have one face: absolutely insane and confused?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Yesterday's episode made me happy. It felt like a relief episode that makes you feel good knowing that not everything is all doom and gloom. However, you can't have many of these before a show sucks, so one is definitely enough.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Also, is it just me, or does Rousseau (the French woman) only have one face: absolutely insane and confused?
I actually don't have a problem with that. After living on an island for 15 years alone, watching your daughter disappear, being forced to kill all your friends and lover, and being terrorized by elusive antagonists. . .I'd think I would have just one insane/confused facial expression too.

Top Bottom