• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Long Island International Smash Tournament: A Call to Arms

Rei

Smash Cadet
Long Island International Smash: A Call to Arms​

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

Registration will now be done at the door. Don't worry about the online registration. Just bring a form of ID.

Also, The first day of the tournament (Feb 3rd) will now be a Smashfest (Low and Crew depending on popular passion) proceeding the Doubles and Singles tournament on the 4th. We have the facilities from 11am on, so come anytime before 7pm to have some fun. :D

New York, New Jersey, Georgia, California, Canada, Guam... Any and all are welcome to this two day long, multi-faceted event. Come for glory. Come for experience. Come for cash.

This is ENITRELY what you make it: the more who come, the more to be won. Few and far between does the oppertunity arise to provide the following:

Facilities that can easily house over 200 people.
Extremely flexible time constraints.
Convienent proximity to food, lodging, and airports.
Dedicated, intelligent (take that MLG) staff.
Natailie Portman, pizza, and bagels.

I stress again: this is ENTIRELY what you make it. Don't count this one out because my reputation is non-existant-- it isn't to say I can't provide the foundation for what could be one of the greatest tournaments to ever hit the scene. Just give it a shot, if not for smash then for the off chance you can stalk Garden State girl.

Just remember, "The Power is yours!" Captain Planet told me so and so did the TMNT... so yeah, come to the tournament or Aerith will die again. Go guilt and random references.

PERTINENT INFORMATION:

VENUE:

Roosevelt Hall Multi-Purpose Room
Farmingdale State University of New York, 2350 Broadhollow Rd, Farmingdale, NY 11735

DATE and TIME:

Februrary 3rd 11:00 AM- 7:00 PM: Smashfest!!!!!
Feburary 4th 11:00 AM- 7:00 PM: Doubles, Singles.
(Times may alter due to your feedback. Let me know what works, and I'll see what I can do.)

ENTRY and POT :

Entry fees, however, will only be taken at the door.

Singles: 20$
Doubles: 20$ ***** (As per request)
Low Tier: TBA (Feedback appreciated, if there is demand I'll collect for it.)
Crew: TBA (Feedback appreciated, if there is demand I'll collect for it.)

Pot Distrubution: TBA... It entirely depends on the turnout. The more that come, the more I have to work with as far as making it worth while for more people. If too much comes of this, it'll be spread 60% 25% 10% 5%.*

*10% of entrys will have to go to administrative fees. I'm trying to work on it.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

This is dependant on volume, but the following will be the general scheme for Singles, Doubles, and Low Tier.

Best out of three, double elimination pools until a 32 (64) man bracket can be established. Semi-Final and Finals will be best out of five.

For Crew Battles it will be a bracketed double elimination format.

RULES and REGULATIONS:

General Rules

1. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
2. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
3. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
5. Report your scores to the main desk.
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
7. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
8. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
9. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Open Competitions

1. The Open Singles, and Low-Tier will be Double Elimination. All series will be Best of 3 in the Open Singles. All series will be Best of 3 in the Open Doubles.
2. After losing a series, teams will fall into the Losers Bracket.
3. A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.
4. Players/Teams will be seeded for the 32 man bracket randomly.
5. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
6. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
7. Items will be turned off.

Stage & Character Selection

1. Coin flip for team color, seating, and controler port. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in a specific bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series.
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON.
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed.

Crew Rules:
FC style rules
4 members, 4 stock
RR or Double-elim, depending on number of crews in attendance
No Items
Order is not predetermined, only first player.
3 stages on random - FD, DL64, PS
A person coming in can choose the stage, but the other player gets to change their character in response if they so choose. If the player coming in goes random, the other player may NOT change their character from the previous match.

Crew Specifics
A “core crew” will consist of 4-6 core members, with one member designated as the captain. The core crew will choose a name for their crew, and this cannot be changed until the end of the season. Names are unique and cannot be used by any other core crew.

All players at an event are considered “free-agents” unless they are part of a core crew. They may join with any core crew at any event, regardless of what crews they have been part of in the past. Free-agents may form a core crew with other free-agents at any time during the season. Likewise, a core crew can disband at any time in the season in order to become free-agents (any of whom may then form a new core crew with other free-agents).

At any event, a core crew may “hire” up to 2 free-agents to play with their crew. The terms of the hire are up to the crew and the free-agents, but it will likely be that they will simply split any prize money won at that event

TRAVEL:

JFK International is your best choice as far as airports are concerned. It's only roughly 45 minutes away from the campus, depending on the Southern State's traffic.. which can be enormous going east from NYC. Keep it in mind.

Directions from JFK:

1: Start out going SOUTHEAST. 0.4 miles
2: Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the ramp toward AIRPORT EXIT / OTHER TERMINALS. <0.1 miles
3: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto JFK EXPY. 2.2 miles
4: Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. 0.1 miles
5: Merge onto BELT PKWY E. 3.2 miles
6: Keep LEFT to take BELT PKWY E via EXIT 25A toward EASTERN L I. 0.1 miles
7: BELT PKWY E becomes SOUTHERN PKWY E / SOUTHERN STATE PKWY. 16.7 miles
8: Merge onto NY-110 N via EXIT 32N toward HUNTINGTON. 3.8 miles
9: Make a U-TURN at RULAND RD onto NY-110 S / BROAD HOLLOW RD. 0.2 miles
10: End at FARMINGDALE STATE UNIV OF NY:
2350 Broadhollow Rd, Farmingdale, NY 11735, US

LODGING:

These are both within 10 minutes of the college. As well, for those who contact me early or are in dire need, there are roughly 5-7 spots available on campus. Maybe more. E-mail me for more information.

*AlejendroP is willing to house: "Msg me on AIM lostinhere12"

*Homewood Suites Melville
1585 Round Swamp Rd
Plainview, NY 11803
(516) 370-0994

*Marriott Hotels
1350 Walt Whitman Rd
Melville, NY 11747
(631) 423-1600

** More information to come regarding group discounted room rates.

FOOD:

There is food around campus and across the street. ;p

MISC:

I'll be in great need of anyone willing to shuttle people from the airport and hotels. I'll see what I can do to help with gas.
Same for Cubes and TVs. The more we have, the less time we'll have to spend waiting and the more I can put towards friendlies.
I could also use some artists willing to do up some banners.

If you have any further questions or want to help out e-mail me at bosomm@farmingdale.edu or PM me on the boards.

savageLI

Smash Cadet
ohh snap, first !

ill be comin to this and helpin out, ill do the site for signups and registration stuff sometime later today...

hope to see everyone soon :-D

dirty1

Smash Cadet
This should be one good event. Im definitly down for this. Hope to see everyone there!!!

Rei

Smash Cadet
Thank you, savage.

Make sure you include a spot for addresses and phone numbers-- the school requires it.

savageLI

Smash Cadet
Online Registration

Okay, you can copy and paste this to your post at the top of the thread, or leave it here, Rei.

In order to attend this event, you will need to register online in advance to be on the list of attending. Although we will be collecting the actual entry fees at the door, it is still required you register online.

Instructions for Online Registration:

1. visit halo.meetup.com/18
2. Click register on the top right corner.
3. Enter your information on that screen.
4. You will receive a validation email to the email address you entered. visit the link in your email and your registration is complete.
5. Now your a member of the NYC Gaming Crew, click on that meetup group, and then calender on the left side of the page.
6. Browse to the dates of this event (Feb3rd & Feb4th), click RSVP, and bubble in the YES option.

This is to get a confirmed list of participants, so it is required.

Any questions about registering online can be emailed to me at steve_skaven@yahoo.com, hit me on aim at savage748, or PM me here on the boards.

Cort

Apple Head
Woah, this might have a pretty big turnout for being posted so early.

I don't think I've ever been in Long Island, lol. I'll try and attend! February is so far from now..

D1

Banned via Administration
Sounds yummy it'll be my first 2 day tourney...

...wait wait...I went to numerous MLGs nvm...

>_>

...yeah time to go make a sandwich.

I'll spread the wordsies!

:edit:

not to be a b*tch, but it would help for you to post all ur rules on the first post regardless if they're "MLG" or not...cuz MLG rules change EVERY tournament its like ******** new stages banned, new rules on which stages can/can't be banned and so on. So just post up ur rules so everyones clear on what u mean by "MLG rules".

D1

Banned via Administration
Mmm...oh yeah put a date in the main title of the thread. To give ppl a good idea when this shiz is gonna pop off :laugh:

Alejandro_P

Smash Ace
You have the wrong rules

Stage & Character Selection

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in a specific bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2

7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a Best of 9 or Best of 11 series.
10. After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

zeex1

Smash Cadet
im sure i can pull out some stony brook smashers out of the basement for this. should be fun.

-zeex1

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
If KillaFleet I'll be there, then so will TNR.. No Respect sons.. well.... maybe alittle respect. We need housing though.. anyone gonna step up?? I'll also ask some TA if they want to come too, and perhaps Chu... i donno about that one though. High entry fee, so the moneys might be good enough to bring some pros...

Rei

Smash Cadet
If you need housing, jump on it quick and e-mail me.

On that note, though, I've been in contact with the hotels and the prices seem -very- reasonable.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Hopefully some of TNR can go besides myself, and Masa.. I would like to have a crew battle quite a bit, but some of my boys may not be able to show... we could always have a 5 vs. 1 ;)

Ryan-K

Smash Master
we'll figure something out, I know Superryan and DMon can house some heads so ya know its all good.
lol alex i am not 100% sure if i can house people my house is kind of cramped and hsit plus i am not a negotiaitor haha

and knowing dmon by the time this come around he would be deathly sick

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Hopefully me and my crew members can make it to this. I also hope the internal problems within our crew can be all good and resolved by the time this tournament comes through. I definitely want crew battles to happen.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, far enough in advance that I may actually try andf attend. Should be a good warm-up for Cat3 for me.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
ya...i am getting a date for that...anyways...i wanna know who is gonna house me since im gonna help run this **** thing-.-

dirty1

Smash Cadet
DIRTY BARRAGE!!!

ok random but yeah i cant wait for this to go down. I wanna see what im up against on Long Island. Ill try to get people from my home town to come as well. The more people, the more money to be made. Bring everyone u can.

...DIRTY BARRAGE!!!

Sol

Smash Lord
$40 per team is pretty expensive, I'll see if i can make it seeing that i have so much time to plan

Top Bottom