• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

lock please

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah...I was gonna go to the next one on the 14th. Looks like the Illinois smash scene sucks even more now. -_-;

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't like infinites. I think they should be banned or only used three to five times. Winning that way really doesn't prove anything.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Go find my posts when I was arguing with TGM over the subject. They were so convincing I got in the back room >_>.

Amide

Smash Lord
Seems like a ****y tourney host. I have no idea what you can do though. Maybe show him a copy of SBR ruleset..? The only thing you can really do is find another tourney.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Tournies in Chicago are rare. I'll try arguing for them to be back in when I get home...That's the only choice. z.z

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Lol, second time a thread like this comes up. I don´t understand how people like to play the game less deep, or closer to "perfect", sure ICs infinites is great, but what about DK on stages like corneria/Onett, grab them and take the opponents to a wall and start dtilting.

It´s alot easier than IC's CG even though that proves how fast you can get out of grabs if the one that gets grab does what he/she should do in thet position.

EDIT: So now SoPo has like no chance against characters he has an even matchup or advantage against (shiek..) since he cannot be able to CG 0-50+, otherwise I would suggest camping close to an wall (when it´s present) to backthrow releasegrab-releasegrab... since it´s not technicly a CG just standing and waiting to grab again...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i can do a walking infinite release grab chain, but that just takes longer. i normally only footstool the heavier characters too, but i guess i'll have to learn how to do it to everyone.
or i could just not attend a tournament where scrubs make the rules.

Miller

Smash Lord
i can do a walking infinite release grab chain, but that just takes longer. i normally only footstool the heavier characters too, but i guess i'll have to learn how to do it to everyone.
or i could just not attend a tournament where scrubs make the rules.
Call him a scrub and proceed to poop on his face.

But seriously, just tell him to come here and im sure I'll completely destroy any reasoning he has to ban it.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
I live in the Chicago area so there's not many brawl tourneys. One of the only tourneys is the occasional Cyber Arena tourney. Well, i went to my first tourney a couple weeks ago and placed 9th out of 18th, so i didn't destroy with the climbers by any means. Turns out, i almost beat the host's G&W with the ICs (the only reason i lost was because i forgot to ban rainbow cruise, lesson learned). Now, for the next Cyber Arena tourney, the rules state the "ICs infinites" are now banned. I don't know whether to be happy that i did well enough (in my first tourney no less) to get the ICs throws banned, or outraged that the host can simply say "ICs infinites are now banned." Like i said, this is the only tourney that's in my area, so i'm basically screwed. What should i do???
this tourney is whack. u should either mix up ur cg's alot or pick metaknight and press the b button. no seriously press the b button and nothing else. dont even kill just press the b button.

P a i n

Smash Cadet
I can't chain grab unless i'm in training mode. I'm not consistent enough to pull them off in a competitive scene.
What's wrong with good ol' fashion desynch and destroy?
Sucks that they're banned, but no CG doesn't mean no IC play.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
I'm here to be convinced that the IC's infinite grab should be allowed. Please, convince me why the only 0-death on all characters on all stages should not be at least nerfed a little.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm here to be convinced that the IC's infinite grab should be allowed. Please, convince me why the only 0-death on all characters on all stages should not be at least nerfed a little.
It's kind of hard to convince someone whose opinion isn't open to change :).

Just sayin'. There is a ton of imperical proof(I.e. tournament results) that shows IC's doing anything but dominating. If they possesed ANY tactic that would help them easily, then why don't ANY tournament results refelct this?

That's just a taste, but there is a ton more. It's just pretty much impossibile to argue around evidence.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Name a TOURNAMENT stage that it can't be done on? The only one I can think of is rainbow cruise, and that's only because you have to stop before the stage moves too fast and kills you on the ascending portion.

Hylian, I'm open to change as long as I get a decent argument. But "It's hard to pull off" is not an argument, and neither is comparing it to other non-guaranteed KO chain grabs.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure it's because characters like metaknight and snake completely dominate the tournament scene which is why you don't see a lot of ice climbers winning. I'm not saying that the ice climbers shouldn't be able to do some nasty chain grabbing stuff, but please convince me that being rewarded by taking a stock off your opponent by grabbing them isn't a little harsh in a game such as brawl?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Another stage it doesn't work on is frigate orpheon, I don´t know if IC's can do the same thing as Dedede with hes dthrow on that stage(killing of the top when stage rotates with a dthrow) but probably not. The pokemon stadium stages screws up the CT too in some wierd way.

Chars like Jigglypuff cannot even get dthrow CG'd, maybe one dthrow to fairspike but the second will be techable so you´ll have to be extreemly fast doing one of those "fast CG methods" for the opponent to not mash out. Mashing out from 16% goes extreemly fast, so there´s no room to wait for Nana placing herself and you to get the setup for alternate grabs.

It´s easy to get out at low% if the dthrow to fairspike isn´t guarantied to work 2 times on a char, just mash everything you´ve got and thing the game as mario party 2 lol.

Is there any limit´s for snake to not do whatever he wants?, has there been any limit to chars like fox in ssbm to not do whatever they would want? No, and why isnt waveshine banned in SSBM?

Miller

Smash Lord
Another stage it doesn't work on is frigate orpheon, I don´t know if IC's can do the same thing as Dedede with hes dthrow on that stage(killing of the top when stage rotates with a dthrow) but probably not. The pokemon stadium stages screws up the CT too in some wierd way.

Chars like Jigglypuff cannot even get dthrow CG'd, maybe one dthrow to fairspike but the second will be techable so you´ll have to be extreemly fast doing one of those "fast CG methods" for the opponent to not mash out. Mashing out from 16% goes extreemly fast, so there´s no room to wait for Nana placing herself and you to get the setup for alternate grabs.

It´s easy to get out at low% if the dthrow to fairspike isn´t guarantied to work 2 times on a char, just mash everything you´ve got and thing the game as mario party 2 lol.

Is there any limit´s for snake to not do whatever he wants?, has there been any limit to chars like fox in ssbm to not do whatever they would want? No, and why isnt waveshine banned in SSBM?
All you said there was "It's difficult to do". Who gives a **** if its hard to do. The argument is against people who **** with them AND can successfully pull it off.

Tapion, there are MANY ways around it with EVERY Character. Remember in melee, with falcon, you would always land behind your opponent so you couldn't get shield grabbed? That also applies to the rest of the cast. Yea, you can do that in brawl too. You can always pick Nana off if you wish.

People for some strange reason, separate them and go after Popo. Thats stupid unless its a guaranteed kill on Popo. You could also just stay back and you know, pick each of them off little by little when the opportunity arises. People are just dumb when they fight Iceys

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Smasher89: I think you're forgetting about a specific chain grab in which Ice climbers can chain grab while standing in place by forward throwing and back throwing to each other. down throw fair is not an infinite since it is techable. You can't tech that's your fault, fair game if you ask me. And again, difficulty is not a defense it is completely irrelevent since no matter how difficult something may be, if it can be done people will learn how to do it every time.

Millar: I'm aware there are things that can be done, however comparing it to melee is not exactly a good argument, seeing as melee's shield release system didn't allow you to grab directly behind you basically as fast as directly in front of you. Wavedashing out of shield isn't nearly as fast as shield release turn around dash grab. Granted almost all characters have moves that land with hardly any lag, but (and yes this can go either way) if the IC's see it coming, they can just desynch out of shield, run away a little, jump turn around blizzard grab, or some other things. Shield grabbing is not the ice climbers only way of getting this off. BIGGER However, this argument is not how to avoid the setups ice climbers have, or strategies of separating the two. This argument is (AND I HOPE THE REST OF YOU READ THIS PART I PUT IT IN CAPS NOT TO BE ANGRY JUST TO GET EVERYONES ATTENTION LOL SEE NOT ANGRY HAHAHA) solely on the fact of do you believe, that given the circumstances that an ice climbers player gets off a grab at really low percents (like, I'd say under 40 is considered low) with nana present to do the chain grab, is it fair to reward this with a stock?

swordgard: Yes, they have a very low grab range, but the ice climbers have a lot going for them even without the chain grab. They have crazy desynch crap that can hit them and lead in to a grab, they have smashes that do INCREDIBLE amounts of damage (a fresh downsmash without charging can do over 40 damage!!!) But again, refer to the end of my statement with Millar. This is not about it being difficult to pull off, it's not about anything except should ice climbers players really be rewarded with a full stock should they get one off?

Tapion013

Smash Lord
I hate the ****er, but I main snake so can handle them fine. Don't try and bring my skill level in to this because you'll fail at that relatively quickly...

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
The Ice Climbers will never be banned. Unless Melee1 beats DSF, AZEN, and M2K. =) So everyone please take a Valium or something.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
ROB is a solid IC counter, laser for separating them, spotdodge to buffered dsmash (common used tactic against IC's, glidetoss to dsmash (haven´t seen it but sounds like a safe approach) like CF's knee and land backward the opponent. Ah, read your post again and this is not what the discussion was about.

Taking what in many tournaments is 33,3% (I´m for 4 stock in brawl , since there´s ALOT of improvement in edgeguarding for everyone including the "top players") of the opponents chance to win for getting a grab and taking the stock.

Is fair due to it´s playing the game as it´s maked and is punishable/predictable, would it work like Metas infinite cape which would lead to an grab, it would obviously be broken (I believe that´s the case with Akuma in SF or something close to it).

I guess you know about certain matchups in brawl (Shiek vs Fox for example) where Fox has like 1% chance to win due to ftiltlocking 20-80%+ into an sweetspotted Usmash.
Sure avoiding it should be possible but the range of the Ftilt and setups leading to it makes it an completly "unfair" matchup but I´ve yet to see a Fox beating a shiek who perfected ftiltlock. The matchups Dedede vs DK/Mario/Luigi/Samus, or Marth vs Ness/Lucas isn't too balanced , but is it a reason to not play how the game is buildt?

I think the sole reason we play with best of 3 or 5 is to help the better player win so the results became as they should be, based on skills in prediction, mindgames and technical skills. Counterpicks also helps this so no good players loses to worse players unless they´ve got beaten bad or something in an earlier match (from my 40 tournaments+ experience).

Snake's fsmash kills at 40% and works on every character, what makes that different with IC's grabs?

Top Bottom