• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Listening in Smash

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Does anyone listen for the sounds of certain moves in smash?

Arcnatural said that a good way to get the fsmash edgegaurd off in marth dittos, is to fsmash right when you hear the sound of the upB.

This led me to wonder whether there are other things that people listen for.
Techs? Spotdodges?

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Not myself, but I have heard this is a common thing in Street Fighter.

One thing though, wouldn't this be kind of impractical in the noisiness of a tournament? (Not to say it's unviable as a whole.)

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
The only thing I really listen for is the "ping" of an incoming illusion so I can shine (or grab) them out of it.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
It works if you're sound dependent...however some people tend to play with music, like myslef. (Though at times I really do listen to the game...I play better with music, xD) Although I do listen for the sound of things for the most part. Mainly when I'm just playing with friends...I try not to let much distract me when I play people at tournaments (epic fail because I'm so talkative >.<)

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've always played with sound on and listened to moves subconsciously. So in my first tourney, I was totally unprepared for the noise levels :(, but no johns.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
The only thing I really listen for is the "ping" of an incoming illusion so I can shine (or grab) them out of it.
Oh yeah, that's right too - I guess I listen to the "ping" of a phantasm if I'm going to try to cancel it. Not quite what TC is talking about though I don't think.

cemo

white walker
Not in-gamenoise, but listen for the R/L trigger when people are holding the edge.
Also if you don't hear them mashing out do some grab attacks.

etc etc.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It depends on the character for me. With the more technically demanding characters such as the spacies, I'm a little more sound dependent for my timing (drillshines or dairs to grabs with Fox it would seem), but not to the point where it is an absolute must for me to perform well, because otherwise I'll just improvise. I strongly lean more towards paying close attention to your opponent rather than yourself, because if you're too focused on your own game, be it technical or anything else, you end up leaving yourself open for punishment much too often.

Other than that, most is associated with experience, and tech consistency is already second nature to me. This is good because once one reaches this point, their mind is open to acknowledge many of the game's aspects and also open to work on application of what they know; and with this...in-game creativity, prediction, and adaptation is also being refined (these three factors and how much they are developed are what mainly separate the best of the best from those who are not, in my opinion).

mzink*

Smash Ace
Yea sometimes the sound effect starts before the animation, so you can react that little bit quicker in certain situations.

But despite that, I usually play better when I am not distracted by the noises of smash, or when I am listening to my own music.

Geist

Smash Master
I never deliberately listen in on what my opponent is doing, but sometimes it helps me react when it's blatantly obvious, like spacies' illusions, or maybe falcon punch.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i think imma start listening for the ping of an illusion. And maybe for the r trigger to see if my opponent is teching/rolling from the edge. I just realized I already listen to see if my opponent is struggling to get out of grabs.

I wonder if listening to things from outside the game is kind of like cheating.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
How is that like cheating? It's there, it's not banned. It should be used.

The only thing I really use my ears for is a specific tone of Ness' yo yo when I'm trying to set up a yo yo glitch. I probably should listen for illusions and such so I can thwart illusion recoveries (as Doc, not Ness). As for listening to people mashing out (or not) or using l or r to get back on the stage, those are good ideas. I should really start doing stuff like that.

On an unrelated note... I play totally terribly if I can't hear the music and sounds of the game though. But I think that's more because I can't get into it when it's like that.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Does anyone listen for the sounds of certain moves in smash?

Arcnatural said that a good way to get the fsmash edgegaurd off in marth dittos, is to fsmash right when you hear the sound of the upB.

This led me to wonder whether there are other things that people listen for.
Techs? Spotdodges?
I listen and look at people's controllers. I can usually listen / see tech patterns / getups from ledge / if someone is trying to spam dsmash (MacD lol) / etc.

It's a good skill. Charging an fsmash after someone rolls from the ledge then telling them you heard them roll is the biggest mindgame in the world. I think I did this to Germ once and he spammed his controller the next time trying to fool me then ended up killing himself.

=D

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
When I have someone grabbed and I don't here them button mashing to get out, I just keep bashing them. I think other people do this too

Eggm

Smash Hero
I listen and look at people's controllers. I can usually listen / see tech patterns / getups from ledge / if someone is trying to spam dsmash (MacD lol) / etc.

It's a good skill. Charging an fsmash after someone rolls from the ledge then telling them you heard them roll is the biggest mindgame in the world. I think I did this to Germ once and he spammed his controller the next time trying to fool me then ended up killing himself.

=D
I'm putting a towell over my hands next time I play you. Or sitting way in front/back of you. xD

Haha funny story one time I was playing my crew mates marth and i was hanging on the ledge and in real life he just yells out "TWAH" and i rolled off the ledge then after i was done rolling he really up + b'ed to it in the game and made it back. :( I play by sound a lot lol. I john real hard when a tv has no sound.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I'm putting a towell over my hands next time I play you. Or sitting way in front/back of you. xD

Haha funny story one time I was playing my crew mates marth and i was hanging on the ledge and in real life he just yells out "TWAH" and i rolled off the ledge then after i was done rolling he really up + b'ed to it in the game and made it back. :( I play by sound a lot lol. I john real hard when a tv has no sound.
LOL THAT'S SO GOOD.

I should try learning to beatbox Falco's moves like lasers and shines to throw people off LOL. NEW M2K COUNTER? BEATBOX LASERS TO MESS UP HIS POWERSHIELD?!

Laijin

Smash Hero
The only thing I listen for is the clicking noises on their controller when im grabbing them to see if their doing anything.
Some people, instead of mashing buttons to get out of grabs, will wait for the grab to end and just sit there. Thats when I proceed to get in extra grab hits :O

donkeykongdiscoguy

Smash Rookie
thissss.
also, i think some people pay attention to the sound control sticks make. i say this besause i was watching sk92 play against a mk. the mk charged a fsmash, knowing sk92 was going to punish lag he flicked the control stick while charging and sk92 ran at him THINKING it was done and got fsmash ***** :x

Eggm

Smash Hero
I just thought of another trick a crew mate pulled on me. I was hanging on the ledge and he was samus just danging from his grapple under me. And he missed the sweet spot so I knew if I waiting till I heard him hit Z to getup i could ledge hop dair and kill him. And i'm sitting there and he Taps the side of his controller real loud and i ledge hop dair THEN he really came up after safely. :(

Top Bottom