• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Links to the Past - A P:M Link video & discussion thread

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I never usmash after a uthrow, I always bait them into it. The platforms on Yoshi's are good if you can get below them. The only grabbing with his hand still kinda sucks though because he runs so slowly (plus the start-up frames of his grab).
I don't think uthrow -> up-B works at low percents, too slow.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I never usmash after a uthrow, I always bait them into it. The platforms on Yoshi's are good if you can get below them. The only grabbing with his hand still kinda sucks though because he runs so slowly (plus the start-up frames of his grab).
I don't think uthrow -> up-B works at low percents, too slow.
Actually it works around 17% - 50%.
You won't get the semi spike, but I think it's enough to gimp a spacey at the edge of a stage (if they aren't DI-ing towards the stage however). I'll need to test this during an actual match and see what happens.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I tested out the uthrow -> jab, it doesn't work right off the bat, but after around 15-20% it does.
Even if they land behind you, his backward grab box will get them.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I tested out the uthrow -> jab, it doesn't work right off the bat, but after around 15-20% it does.
Even if they land behind you, his backward grab box will get them.

Perhaps you can immediately grab them again after the first uthrow at 0% as a chaingrab? I tried doing it before but I never focused on it.

Also, the original post seriously needs to be updated. I'd totally update the thread myself if I could. :(
Wish someone would change it though. Not sure if the original poster is still on these forums.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Also, the original post seriously needs to be updated. I'd totally update the thread myself if I could. :(
Wish someone would change it though. Not sure if the original poster is still on these forums.
Hey guys, what's up? I'm really sorry but I won't be able to update the OP any longer. If a mod or someone could turn control of this thread over to someone else, that would be nice :).
I updated a few of the new matches, but not all of them. Sorry guys.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Hey guys, what's up? I'm really sorry but I won't be able to update the OP any longer. If a mod or someone could turn control of this thread over to someone else, that would be nice :).
I updated a few of the new matches, but not all of them. Sorry guys.
Perhaps we could get Hylian to edit it/give another user privileges to change the original post?
Either that or he edits it himself.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
How about... "A Link to the Past Video Thread" as a name? Cuz...we're clicking links.. that show us fights we've had... in the past... *cough*

Anyway, a nice fight my friend and I had the other day. The age old battle between Link and Shiek! It's a pretty intense fight on the Halberd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q8apEXWuQ

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
OP finally updated! I'll be able to update the OP and visit this site much more often now, so my apologies to anyone who waited for the OP to be updated. (hopefully) Won't happen again!

SnatoWhato said:
How about... "A Link to the Past Video Thread" as a name? Cuz...we're clicking links.. that show us fights we've had... in the past... *cough*
Good idea. Totally fits. Thanks!

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody help me with the double spoiler thing on the op? All I did was left-align everything when I went to edit it.

Sarix

Smash Ace
2.6 Tourney I was at a couple of weeks ago.

Sarix + Csock vs. Rth1mz + General Heinz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fstd3aJCfuo&list=PLZYrp9i07YbPZsjVd9Wn3qOFUoiHkUb9V&index=25

Feel free to point all the mistakes that culminated in me playing so badly. I've already found quite a few things haha.

I wasn't on a streamed TV during singles, Csock and I were the leftovers for Doubles teams so no need to comment on our teamwork, we had never played on a team prior to this.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Updated OP.

EDIT:
Seriously though, is there anyone who can help me with those double spoiler tags? There is only one set of tags around each player's set of videos, but two tags are displayed for each player.
If anyone can help with this, please PM. me

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks!!! I like my 2.6 link a lot more though haha.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Alright, I got a vid, but it's against a bot since I don't have anyone nearby to actually play with. I'm mostly putting this up here for you all to judge me, just so I can get an idea of where I fit on a real(ish) skill scale. Will most likely upload one of these for Toon Link & Lucario for the same purposes later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6m11D_sdc&feature=youtu.be

GeZ

Smash Lord
Alright, I got a vid, but it's against a bot since I don't have anyone nearby to actually play with. I'm mostly putting this up here for you all to judge me, just so I can get an idea of where I fit on a real(ish) skill scale. Will most likely upload one of these for Toon Link & Lucario for the same purposes later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6m11D_sdc&feature=youtu.be
One of the things I saw was that you don't short hop fast fall many projectiles. When link is in the neutral that **** is killer. Along with using boomerang to approach, you should use more spaced aerials. And The only other thing I could pitch in is to get more consistent L cancelling and do a bit more SHFFLing. And if no ones in your area, why not play on wifi sometimes? I'm sure some forum genies would be willing to duke it out with ya. If I ever get unlazy enough to download a wifi safe version of P:M and feel confident enough in my Falcon I'll hit you up.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
One of the things I saw was that you don't short hop fast fall many projectiles. When link is in the neutral that **** is killer. Along with using boomerang to approach, you should use more spaced aerials. And The only other thing I could pitch in is to get more consistent L cancelling and do a bit more SHFFLing. And if no ones in your area, why not play on wifi sometimes? I'm sure some forum genies would be willing to duke it out with ya. If I ever get unlazy enough to download a wifi safe version of P:M and feel confident enough in my Falcon I'll hit you up.
I'm not able to connect my Wii to the internet at home. The one place I can connect it only has HDTV's, which come with an unbearable lag.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nice jab pressure on his shield in the first video. Your bomb tricks are always fun to watch too.

Thanks! I do love my bomb tricks :3.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Thanks! I do love my bomb tricks :3.
No problem! I gotta say something to help others know they are doing something well. :D Your close range game is creating good notes for me since I have to play against mostly rushdown players in my area.

I've been playing around with arrow and indirect pressure as of late. It's been pretty flexible with my 50/50 aggression/defensive play style for creating shield traps or opening up punishment opportunities. Although I wish arrows had more utility they still function well as a support projectile.

Btw how did you that bomb throw, catch it again, then AGT in the first video, maybe it's just my eyes seeing things.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Point out a specific time >_>. Was it off stage? Did I bounce it off someones shield and catch it again into AGT? Did I Z-Drop agt?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Sorry I completely forgot to put in the time <_<. It was around the 3:47 mark of the first video. I looked like you AGT'd down, grabbed it, and somehow you weren't left helpless. Like I said maybe I'm just seeing things.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Oh, I do that all the time haha :p.

Basically, you AGT downwards so that you keep pace with your bomb. After that airdodge to catch the bomb and then instant throw(cancel the first few frames of your airdodge with an itemthrow, using the cstick is easiest for this) it any direction(I usually throw it up or forward) while simultaneously AGT'ing upwards.

So inputs: L -> Analog stick down -> CstickDown -> L -> Analog Stick Up -> Cstick up. There are specific timings you need to hit everything that I don't really know how to share.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Oh ok. I was like "What black magic is this!?" I will have to practice that because I did not know there was a way to cancel the airdodge with Link.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Air-dodge Cancelled Item Throw is a Brawl mechanic ported over into P:M.
It allows for Aerial Glide Tossing (AGT) which keeps the air-dodge's momentum and then cancels the actual dodge so you're not helpless.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well after about 45 minutes practicing I definitely like the silly applications for being able to catch our bombs from a down AGT. I started using Up + C Stick sideways AGTs to follow up the Double Down AGT and I feel like it would be fun vs edge hogging attempts or general edge guarding.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm not able to connect my Wii to the internet at home. The one place I can connect it only has HDTV's, which come with an unbearable lag.
So after testing all my TV's, I found one with no lag, & I got the Wifi Set. If someone wants to fight me, any and all criticism is welcome. I can only connect on weekends, so PM me a time if interested.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Bunch of Link matches in here from the other day, if you click more in the description it makes them easy to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCJlOBPy2I

0:00:00 - Darkatma (Pit) vs Tmacc (MK)
0:05:41 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
0:10:04 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
0:14:48 - MP (Sonic) vs Hylian (Link)
0:17:42 - Tmacc (MK) vs Hylian (Link)
0:21:56 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
0:25:14 - MP (Sonic) vs Hylian (Ganon)
0:28:31 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (MK)
0:31:11 - Darkatma (Pit) vs metroid (Ike)
0:37:25 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
0:34:37 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (TL)
0:41:02 - Darkatma (Pit) vs metroid (Ike)
0:45:56 - metroid (Ike) vs Tmacc (MK)
0:51:37 - Tmacc (MK) vs Hylian (Dr Mario)
0:52:51 - Darkatma (Pit) vs Tmacc (Bowser)
0:56:46 - Darkatma (Pit) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:00:59 - Darkatma (Wolf) vs Hylian (Snake)
1:04:40 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:07:46 - Darkatma (Sheik) vs metroid (Ike)
1:11:40 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
1:14:42 - Seraph (Bowser) vs metroid (Ike)
1:17:47 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
1:22:47 - MP (Sonic) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:26:17 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:30:13 - Seraph (Bowser) vs metroid (Ike)
1:33:04 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs metroid (Ike)
1:36:25 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs MP (Sonic)
1:38:54 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:42:09 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
1:47:19 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs MP (Sonic)
1:49:50 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs metroid (Ike)
1:52:59 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
1:56:15 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
1:58:42 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs metroid (Ike)
2:02:52 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs Hylian (Link)
2:06:13 - MP (Sonic) vs Hylian (Link)
2:08:52 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Link)
2:12:56 - metroid (Ike) vs MP (Sonic)
2:15:07 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)
2:19:32 - Cookiemonster (CF) vs metroid (Marth)
2:21:41 - metroid (Marth) vs MP (Sonic)
2:25:33 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs metroid (Marth)
2:28:37 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs MP (Sonic)
2:31:42 - Cookiemonster (Marth) vs metroid (Wario)
2:34:42 - Cookiemonster (Falco) vs Hylian (Lucario)
2:38:46 - metroid (Ike) vs Hylian (Lucario)

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Hylian, I think a tutorial video detailing all of Link's esoteric bomb techniques would be neat. Different positions and applications and methods for bomb planting and wavelanding out of whatever. I was going to do it at one point, but recording and stuff.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'll get to it when I have more time :p. Busy looking for a house and doing pmbr stuff and then smashboards stuff.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys. There doesn't seem to be all that much 2.6 Link in this thread, so I thought I'd contribute. Just some friendlies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWIW-kb9BQ

Please critique!
At about 1:05, my friend and I were just trying to see if Link's grab was longer than Charizard's d-tilt.
Also, is the d-grab->jab->regrab chaingrab in the last match a real chaingrab? Or is it DI dependent?
Thanks, everyone.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sweet matches man! Though I was wondering the whole way through, is your budy a charizard main, or was he just trying the character out, because he was either really unfamiliar with the big dragon, or there's a bit of skill disparity between you and him.

Good use of movement and Nair/ Bair/ Zair. You're one of the few Link players I've seen who acknowledges that he has moves that aren't just his sword. Your movement was pretty on point, but you went in a bit too direct for my taste. Link has great opening options but he'll still get mad shield grabbed or beat up if you do nothing but push forward. I also wish I saw a bit more of his projectiles besides his Boomerang because they make for great damage tack on's and harassment.

As for D-throw-> jab-> regrab, it's situational. It depends on the characters weight, percent, etc. but works pretty consistently on average to heavy weights in the early percents.

Also you always fast falled Zair, which made me wonder whether you didn't think the pullback hitbox on it was worth it? The way you used it was good, I'm just curious.

Girth94

Smash Cadet
Sweet matches man! Though I was wondering the whole way through, is your budy a charizard main, or was he just trying the character out, because he was either really unfamiliar with the big dragon, or there's a bit of skill disparity between you and him.

Good use of movement and Nair/ Bair/ Zair. You're one of the few Link players I've seen who acknowledges that he has moves that aren't just his sword. Your movement was pretty on point, but you went in a bit too direct for my taste. Link has great opening options but he'll still get mad shield grabbed or beat up if you do nothing but push forward. I also wish I saw a bit more of his projectiles besides his Boomerang because they make for great damage tack on's and harassment.

As for D-throw-> jab-> regrab, it's situational. It depends on the characters weight, percent, etc. but works pretty consistently on average to heavy weights in the early percents.

Also you always fast falled Zair, which made me wonder whether you didn't think the pullback hitbox on it was worth it? The way you used it was good, I'm just curious.
My friend is actually a Charizard main. But it was both our first time using our mains in quite a while. The two of us started branching out to other characters. I don't think he's too bad :C

Aw, man, pushing forward is pretty much my favorite thing to do. I think I have a good sense of when to retreat with projectiles and when to push forward, but I know I tend to be very direct after throwing out a projectile or two. I'll try to work on that.

And I usually fast fall Zair just to be safe. This particular friend of mine CCs everything, so I try to use the Zair for simple poking instead of setting up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
http://www.twitch.tv/deadlywolf844/b/487453314
I felt like I was kinda starting to learn it as we played more matches, but it's riddled with mistakes.
30:25 to 49:50 is Juushichi (Link) vs HankyPanky (Peach). I'm not exactly unfamiliar with Link, since I've played him off and on since 2.1 and iirc, there is a post earlier of me somewhere playing against Ally's Ike in a Winner's Semifinal (2.6 Link). I'm having a bit of a main crisis, so I'm cycling back through the characters I've played in different capacity. Any sort of critique, suggestions, things you liked/didn't like would be fantastic.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You can not play these games, as they are in the past. We at Nintendo of America do not believe in the past as the past does not make us money. If the past tries to play with you, please refer it to Sakurai`s cat.

Top Bottom